Cigar Asylum Cigar Forum  

Go Back   Cigar Asylum Cigar Forum > Non Cigar Specialty Forums > Pipe Forum > Discussion

Old 03-25-2012, 12:01 AM   #1
REV
Still Watching My Back

First Name: David
Trading: (1)
REV is on a distinguished road
Default Sour when smoking?

ok, so this is kinda new to me, but i grabbed some estate pipes off ebay and they just came in. well, i smoked the cool one and it tastes sour? i have the softy bits on the end to be able to clench them, could that be a cause? i know i get some saliva going on more when i hold it in my mouth instead of my hand.

its an odd pipe, and im trying to find out some info on it too. it does gurgle some times (and its way too narrow an opening to put a balsam filter thing in, but i cant find moisture when i use a pipe cleaner. heres a link to it...

http://www.ebay.com/itm/150773404490...#ht_500wt_1287

but i got 2 estate pipes, and both kinda do this and (i think) my normal *NEW* pipe does this too (again, i think. havent smoked my normal a lot since these came in)

anyway, i noticed this especially after i dug out the cake in it, since it was really uneven (ie: none on the bottom half of the pipe and like, 1/16th on the top half) and im thinking of doing the everclear and sugar trick.
REV is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-25-2012, 01:44 AM   #2
darkleeroy
Adjusting to the Life

First Name: Josh
Trading: (0)
HUpmann
darkleeroy is on a distinguished road
Default Re: Sour when smoking?

I think it's alcohol and salt... That usually does it. If you're talking about the Professor's Pipe-Sweetening Treatment that is.

GL Pease also has another way of doing that uses activated charcoal (http://www.glpease.com/Articles/Spot.html). Just don't put anything in the oven that would melt obviously.

Softie bits don't add to the sour taste. Normally, they're tasteless, and the most they would taste like rubber when new.

Last edited by darkleeroy; 03-25-2012 at 01:51 AM.
darkleeroy is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-29-2012, 12:54 AM   #3
REV
Still Watching My Back

First Name: David
Trading: (1)
REV is on a distinguished road

ok, i figured it out. im a moron.

it seems that with the extreme bend in this pipe, it collects moisture a hell of a lot more than any other than ive tried before and what im getting is nasty sour **** consisting of spit and condensation, because im getting a little gurgle and am sucking up the funny tasting stuff. since the air hole is tiny on this thing (stem) is there anything i can do to fix it?
REV is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-29-2012, 06:24 AM   #4
schollianmj

Puff slowly. dont burn to hot. I have even had success with drying out my baccy a bit before I load it in my pipe...
Old 03-29-2012, 06:26 AM   #5
Emjaysmash
The Hebrew Hammer

First Name: M.J.
Trading: (76)
Emjaysmash is a splendid one to beholdEmjaysmash is a splendid one to beholdEmjaysmash is a splendid one to beholdEmjaysmash is a splendid one to beholdEmjaysmash is a splendid one to beholdEmjaysmash is a splendid one to behold

Quote:
Originally Posted by schollianmj View Post
Puff slowly. dont burn to hot. I have even had success with drying out my baccy a bit before I load it in my pipe...

What he said. Slow down, take lighter, longer draws and not as many.
Old 03-29-2012, 09:40 AM   #6
schollianmj

Quote:
Originally Posted by Emjaysmash View Post

What he said. Slow down, take lighter, longer draws and not as many.
did you just call me stupid? Ok, yea, I resemble that...