Cigar Asylum Cigar Forum  

Go Back   Cigar Asylum Cigar Forum > Non Cigar Specialty Forums > Misc > Sports

Old 12-05-2009, 12:45 PM   #81
The Poet
Il megglior fabbro

First Name: Thomas
Trading: (2)
The Poet has much to be proud ofThe Poet has much to be proud ofThe Poet has much to be proud ofThe Poet has much to be proud ofThe Poet has much to be proud ofThe Poet has much to be proud ofThe Poet has much to be proud ofThe Poet has much to be proud ofThe Poet has much to be proud ofThe Poet has much to be proud of
Default Re: College Hoops Thread '09-'10

Wildcats are hitting their freethrows, so this one's over.
The Poet is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-05-2009, 12:46 PM   #82
The Poet
Il megglior fabbro

The Poet has much to be proud ofThe Poet has much to be proud ofThe Poet has much to be proud ofThe Poet has much to be proud ofThe Poet has much to be proud ofThe Poet has much to be proud ofThe Poet has much to be proud ofThe Poet has much to be proud ofThe Poet has much to be proud ofThe Poet has much to be proud of

Hold on a second - one shot for OT!
Old 12-05-2009, 12:52 PM   #83
The Poet
Il megglior fabbro

Well, no shot now - UK wins 68-66. It was a sloppy game for both teams, but at least my Heels turned what looked like a disgrace into a nailbiter. Maybe Roy's boys will learn to show up for both halves of a game.
Old 12-05-2009, 01:58 PM   #84
The Poet
Il megglior fabbro

Dook has a narrow lead over St. John's midway through the first, but are already in the bonus. The Redmen must be drawing some blood.
Old 12-05-2009, 02:04 PM   #85
The Poet
Il megglior fabbro

Blue Devils on a 10-0 run to open this up.
Old 12-05-2009, 02:12 PM   #86
The Poet
Il megglior fabbro

Say, did anybody catch that Pitt/New Hamshire shootout last night? The score was 15-7 at the half, ending at 47-32. Pitt shot .263 for the first half, and NH shot .235 - for the game. The teams combined for 29 shots made, and 30 turnovers committed.

Hayzeus farkin' Christmas.
Old 12-05-2009, 02:38 PM   #87
The Poet
Il megglior fabbro

Dook by 16 at the half - at Cameron. The Crazies are going so, no doubt.
Old 12-05-2009, 07:58 PM   #88
Mark
Tarheel.

First Name: Mark
Trading: (1)
Bolivar
Mark will become famous soon enough

Quote:
Originally Posted by The Poet View Post
Well, no shot now - UK wins 68-66. It was a sloppy game for both teams, but at least my Heels turned what looked like a disgrace into a nailbiter. Maybe Roy's boys will learn to show up for both halves of a game.
Bummer, but if I were to choose a team to lose to early in the season, Kentucky would be on the short list. Good game anyway. Can't wait for ACC season at the Dean Dome! You comin out for any of the games? I *should* be at all of the home ones... Heels Herf?
Mark is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-07-2009, 08:49 AM   #89
JaKaacH
ROCK Chalk JAYHAWK K U

First Name: Jeff
Trading: (32)
RA
JaKaacH has disabled reputation

Kansas 73 handles UCLA 61
Markieff Morris with a career-high 19 points.
This is Kansas' 1,977th victory, third-best in NCAA Division I history.
Old 12-07-2009, 03:21 PM   #90
The Poet
Il megglior fabbro

Quote:
Originally Posted by JaKaacH View Post
Kansas 73 handles UCLA 61
Markieff Morris with a career-high 19 points.
This is Kansas' 1,977th victory, third-best in NCAA Division I history.
Yes indeed, KU is a great program with a great history. But let's get real for a second. Imprimis, a 12-point victory over the Bruins is all well and good, but the Jayhawks have been top-ranked all year while UCLA came into the game at 2-4 with losses to such powers as CSU Fullerton and Long Beach State. Twelve points is hardly a spanking under such circumstances, even though the game was in Pauley. Secundus, KU seems to have the best team at this point in the season, but they do not have the best talent. They may still have the best team come March, yet teams such as Kentucky or UNC might develop into some stiff competition for the Jayhawks.

Don't get me wrong - I like Kansas, both this year's team and in general. There is a connection between KU and my Tar Heels (one often overlooked in Lawrence, but never in Chapel Hill) which goes back at least to 1957's triple-overtime championship. They gave us Dean, we gave them Larry Brown (and welcome to him) and Danny Manning, and we loaned them Roy Williams. I never have a problem when Kansas wins - as long as they aren't beating my boys.

Scores from games of interest that were NOT complete stompings of the overmatched, with updated rankings:

# 8 Duke 80 - St John's 71 = Duke kicked SJU all over Cameron for the first half, then had to hold on. Is Dook weak, or are the Redman for real again? Time will tell.

# 18 UNLV 66 - Santa Clara 63 = Santa Clara has proven themselves a tough little nut several times in the past, so this close score does not - necessarily - mean the Runnin' Rebels are wanna-bes.

Charlotte 87 - formerly # 20 and now unranked Louisville 65 = I felt the 49ers had a shot at winning this one, but I admit I did not expect this whuppin'.

Wake Forest 77 - # 21 Gonzaga 75 = I predicted a war, and we got one.

Sunday's scores of note, aside from the KU/UCLA at top:

# 3 Villanova 95 - Maryland 86 = A nice win in a competitive matchup.

# 14 U. Conn 79 - Harvard 73 = A bad win in what shouldn't have been competitive, no matter how you slice it.

# 17 Washington 88 - CSU Northridge 76 = A win, period.

Clemson 72 - South Carolina 61 = And although a good win for the Tigers over instate rival Gamecocks, it was not enough to keep Clemson within the ranked teams.

There's not a lot of action at the top this evening, and none of them should be close, as all we have are:

# 2 Texas vs. Long Beach State
# 12 Michigan State vs. The Citadel
# 19 Texas A&M vs. North Texas

However, the Siena/Iona game may be fun. Whatever - enjoy.
Old 12-07-2009, 07:40 PM   #91
JaKaacH
ROCK Chalk JAYHAWK K U

First Name: Jeff
Trading: (32)
RA
JaKaacH has disabled reputation

Lets get real for another second..
I thought this was a College hoops thread, not a why tarheels are better than whoever thread.
Old 12-07-2009, 08:59 PM   #92
Mark
Tarheel.

Bolivar

Quote:
I thought this was a College hoops thread, not a why tarheels are better than whoever thread.
Whats the difference?
Old 12-08-2009, 02:01 PM   #93
The Poet
Il megglior fabbro

Quote:
Pre-update reply, to Jeff: The Tar Heels are not better than anyone else, and I have never said so. In fact, I began this thread by stating quite definitively that this would be a tough year for UNC, especially compared to the last few. Furthermore, I said immediately above that your Jayhawks are - at present anyway - the best team in the nation (though I feel Villanova might just be as good). Furthermore, I plainly stated (or strongly implied anyway) that I'd have no problem if Kansas won it all this season. All I did say to prompt your confusion is that KU is playing the best early, but they do not have the most talent. If you look at the rosters, this is an objective fact. I freely, and proudly, admit to being a Tar Heel, yet I try not to let this skew my assessments here. If you want to allow your loyalties to skew your own - well, it's a free country, or still relatively so. Regardless, your imput is not merely appreciated, but also happily encouraged - as is anyone else's.
Old 12-08-2009, 02:15 PM   #94
Mark
Tarheel.

Bolivar

Quote:
Originally Posted by The Poet View Post
Pre-update reply, to Jeff: The Tar Heels are not better than anyone else, and I have never said so. In fact, I began this thread by stating quite definitively that this would be a tough year for UNC, especially compared to the last few. Furthermore, I said immediately above that your Jayhawks are - at present anyway - the best team in the nation (though I feel Villanova might just be as good). Furthermore, I plainly stated (or strongly implied anyway) that I'd have no problem if Kansas won it all this season. All I did say to prompt your confusion is that KU is playing the best early, but they do not have the most talent. If you look at the rosters, this is an objective fact. I freely, and proudly, admit to being a Tar Heel, yet I try not to let this skew my assessments here. If you want to allow your loyalties to skew your own - well, it's a free country, or still relatively so. Regardless, your imput is not merely appreciated, but also happily encouraged - as is anyone else's.
Well put, brother!

I, on the other hand, will be making all sort of smart@$$ comments about every other team regardless of my team's standings or talent.

Seriously though I am always happy to see Kansas and Kentucky win, especially this year. I was in the front row of the final four last year cheering my Tarheels on, and although I am a diehard supporter and would love to make the trip to Indianapolis this year, I would not presume to say that they are better than anyone else. Not even convinced we are a final four team this year. We're not better than everyone...

Except Duke. We will always be better than Duke.

everyone else!
Old 12-08-2009, 03:35 PM   #95
The Poet
Il megglior fabbro

There was not a lot of action last night, and there's not much tonight either - perhaps it's exam time, which means light schedules. From last night:

# 12 Michigan State 69 - The Citadel 56 = It's the first time the Bulldogs have hosted a ranked team since Tim Duncan's Deacs visited 'way back in 1996, and these cadets nearly made the Spartans pay for it by hitting 12 of 20 from downtown. Izzo's boys were overranked at #2, and need to turn it up several notches to prove # 12 isn't too high also.

# 19 Texas A&M 75 - North Texas 65 = Here's another of those "bad" wins. There's no points for style - until Selection Sunday, anyway, when the RPI can spell RIP.

As for # 2 Texas -- well, I'll wait until they finally play somebody before I comment much on them. Wins over Iowa, Pitt, Rice, USC, or Long Beach are better than losses, but do not justify much respect either. No offense, Longhorn fans, but there it is - relax, and enjoy your BCS for now.

That Siena/Iona game let me down, but the Auburn/Virginia and App.State/Wofford ones were exciting.

Tonight's light rollcall includes:

# 15 Georgetown vs. # 22 Butler = Here's a gome both teams need, so let's hope both show up.
# 23 Texas Tech vs. TCU = One can never tell how instate rival games will go. I don't expect an "upset", but you never know.

As for potential good matchups out of the ranked, we have:

Vanderbilt vs. Illinois
Xavier vs. Kansas State
Arizona State vs. BYU

As always, enjoy.
Old 12-09-2009, 02:41 PM   #96
The Poet
Il megglior fabbro

I'm having some internet problems this afternoon, so will update if possible. If not, I'll catch up tomorrow - or one of youse other freaks can do it.
Old 12-10-2009, 03:25 PM   #97
The Poet
Il megglior fabbro

OK, my internet connection seems to be working better today, so let's play a little catchup.

On Tuesday:

# 15 Georgetown 72 - # 22 Butler 65 = So far, Butler has lost to every ranked team they have played. This one to the Hoyas might have finally knocked them off the radar, but if they can't beat Ohio State on Saturday that certainly shall.

# 23 Texas Tech 80 - TCU 70 = I rarely put much stock, one way or the other, in "close" contests between instate rivals. Tech got the win, but I'm unsure if it means anything save bragging rights to either squad.

Last night:

It has not been my practice to report on total @$$whuppin's in Goliath/David games, yet as I've already p!$$ed Jeff off , I'll give him:

# 1 Kansas 99 - Radford 64 = No doubt everyone in Phog Allen Fieldhouse was sorely disappointed that the Jayhawks did not hit the century mark. Other than that, the game was meaningless.

Also:
# 3 Villanova 97 - St. Joseph's 89 = See my TT/TCU comment above - the same logic applies here.

# 4 Kentucky 64 - U. Conn 61 = This makes the 4th bullet that the Wildcats have dodged, and the season's barely gotten going yet. You think Calipari's aged much lately? Heavy lies the head crowned the most overpaid in NCAA history.

Wisconsin Green Bay 88 - # 20 Wisconsin 84 (OT) = The Big Ten can console itself by noting that, no matter how soft and creamy its center is, it has more texture than the Pac-10 does.

Another score of interest to me was:

St. John's 66 - Georgia 56 = Except for a fairly close loss to Duke (in Cameron, no less) the Redman (sorry, I refuse to call them the Red freakin' Storm), St. John's has won every game so far. Many of you young whippersnappers may not remember when they were a perennial power in college basketball, yet the possibility that they may be one again intrigues old farts like me. That has yet to be demonstrated, but it is a situation worthy of attention until more evidence is uncovered. BTW, I know precisely the reason why they fell off the map for so long, and if anyone is interested I will tell you.

Tonight's games include:

# 7 Syracuse vs. # 10 Florida = On paper, this is a good game. However, it is played on hardwood, and though paper is made of wood it is not itself wood.

# 12 Michigan State vs. Oakland = On paper, this is no game at all.

# 19 Cincinnati vs. Miami (OH) = Of the spate of instate matchups we've seen lately, this may be the least interesting.

Enjoy.
Old 12-10-2009, 08:35 PM   #98
Uflbassin

Florida-Syracuse is turning out to be a good game. Get 'em Gators!!!
Old 12-11-2009, 03:23 PM   #99
The Poet
Il megglior fabbro

Quote:
Originally Posted by Uflbassin View Post
Florida-Syracuse is turning out to be a good game. Get 'em Gators!!!
Yeah, it was a pretty good game, until the last 3 1/2 minutes anyway. Then it was the Gators who got got, ending down to the 'Cuse 85-73. Not a good week in Gainsville, all in all. And speaking of bad weeks, # 19 Cincinnati barely escaped Miami (OH) 63-59, which is an unimpressive win just after a shocking loss - of their football coach.

One other score from last night that I found interesting: California Baptist, an NAIA school, beat Pepperdine 67-65 - in Malibu no less - on a layup with 8 ticks left. The Waves have had competitive teams often in the past (believe it or not), and though this loss puts them at 3-7, it is still odd for a "mid-major" to lose to NAIA teams.

Tonight there's only one game involving the ranked, and that is:

# 9 Tennessee vs. Middle Tennessee State = Again, instate rivals. Don't expect an upset, but don't be surprised by a nice effort.

Aside from this, the ODU/Dayton matchup should be fun to watch.

Tomorrow's games will pop up here tomorrow, but as I'll not be "here" until early afternoon I shall mention the two big games which tip off at noon:

# 4 Kentucky vs. Indiana = At Assembly Hall, so I'm gonna go out on a limb here and predict this will be the 5th bullet UK ducks.

# 13 Ohio State vs. # 22 Butler = The Buckeyes want it, but the Bulldogs need it. This should be a battle till the last.

Talk at you tomorrow - enjoy.
Old 12-12-2009, 10:36 AM   #100
The Poet
Il megglior fabbro

As one might expect, # 9 Tennessee had little problem with Middle Tenn. State, winning by 21 points. As this one expected, the ODU/Dayton game was much better, with the Flyers prevailing 58-50.

So far today, the game between # 13 Ohio State and # 22 Butler appears a study in ineptitude, with only 12 total points scored collectively in the first 5 minutes. But Indiana does have an early lead over # 4 Kentucky, 12 to 7. I'll keep an eye on both games for you.

Other games today include:

# 1 Kansas vs. La Salle = Should be no contest.
# 2 Texas vs. Texas State = Ditto.
# 5 Purdue vs. Alabama = Now here might be a game.
# 6 West Virginia vs. Coppin State = Now here won't.
# 11 UNC vs. Presbyterian = A scrimmage.
# 15 Georgetown vs. # 17 Washington = A scrum.
# 16 Texas A&M vs. New Mexico = I could see the Aggies losing this one.
# 18 UNLV vs. Kansas State = Or the Rebels this one.
# 20 Wisconsin vs. Marquette = Or the Badgers this one.
# 21 Gonzaga vs. Davidson = But not the Zags this one.
# 25 Ole Miss vs. McNeese State = Ibid.

As usual, there are other good matchups today, such as Va. Tech/Penn State, so don't just concentrate on the ranked teams.

For the lighter Sunday schedule, we have:

# 3 Villanova vs. Temple = An old rivalry that could be a great game.
# 7 Syracuse vs. St Francis (NY) = Oh pleeze.
# 19 Cincinnati vs. Xavier = And this could be good also.

Updates on today's action to follow. Enjoy.