Cigar Asylum Cigar Forum  

Go Back   Cigar Asylum Cigar Forum > Non Cigar Specialty Forums > Pipe Forum > Discussion

Old 11-05-2014, 05:11 PM   #1
sikk50
Just Bored Really...

First Name: Andrew
Trading: (13)
LGC
sikk50 is a glorious beacon of lightsikk50 is a glorious beacon of lightsikk50 is a glorious beacon of lightsikk50 is a glorious beacon of lightsikk50 is a glorious beacon of lightsikk50 is a glorious beacon of light
Default Rehabing and estate

Recently I've really decided I enjoy pipes! I thought to add to my hobby experience I'd start buying estate pipes cheap and rehabbing them. Easy enough right?

Well I got this one, and the coating is done for sure, but more interestingly it has light sprinkles of red paint. They are raised, on the briar and at the stem. Almost like someone carelessly was cleaning a paintbrush near by and misted it.

The stem is easy enough to clean. But what do I do about the briar? Sand it with fine grit sandpaper? What type of coating to I put on it after? Just that carnuba was? Or is there a certain stain too??
Old 11-05-2014, 07:18 PM   #2
shilala
Dear Lord, Thank You.

First Name: Scott
Trading: (252)
Cuaba
shilala has a reputation beyond reputeshilala has a reputation beyond reputeshilala has a reputation beyond reputeshilala has a reputation beyond reputeshilala has a reputation beyond reputeshilala has a reputation beyond reputeshilala has a reputation beyond reputeshilala has a reputation beyond reputeshilala has a reputation beyond reputeshilala has a reputation beyond reputeshilala has a reputation beyond repute
Default Re: Rehabing and estate

Being a pipefitter I can fix any kind of pipes. Plus I've been to rehab, but these pipes for smoking tobacco, I have no clue.
I'm looking forward to seeing what you find out, Andy.
Good to see you around, my brother!!!
Old 11-05-2014, 09:33 PM   #3
WaRevo
Still Watching My Back

First Name: James
Trading: (2)
WaRevo is on a distinguished road

At times I dislike my Laptop. I have started this reply like 2 times now..... Maybe 3rd time will be the Charm...

First off, A little bit of help with Pictures would be great.......

Second there are a few factors in restore repair and I don't know how much is needed to be told here so I will just say all that is in my mind and with any luck it will help you out some....

First I am not an Expert nor do I do Pro Restorations.

Depending on how bad the pipe is and how much you want to take down the finish that is already on the pipe. If you go down to the Naked Brair is going to depend on how deep the stain was on there to begin with. May want to go as far as 150 grit to get to wood if needed. Then go up to 320, 400, 600, 1000 and finish with 1500. Once your done or you think your done check your sanding job with a jewelers loupe or something to check the fine grain. Once you are happy with sanding then you can Stain it if you want to, Or you can keep it natural as some people do. Take the trip buff and wax. There is another part you can do after wax but that is up to you and some just stay with the wax at the end. It will dull over time an will need to be touched up.

If you are going to stain it?! there are a couple different type Water and Alcohol based. if you use water based just make sure that it is dry before you start sanding. IF you are going to use 2 colors, I think the Alcohol based is faster as you can burn it off to dry. Sand and may need to buff some to help even out the stain some. Sanding between 1000 and 1500grit staining for pulling out the briars grain.

I don't know but is said if using water based it can pull out the grains and may make a deep color. Some use both water and Alcohol stains on the same pipe depending on the pipe grain and the results your looking for.....

Once you get your stain where you want it and final sanding then buff with White diamond and Wax.

Just remember while working around the stem area not to sand off to much of the briar.

I am not an Expert or claim to be one. Just some info to help aid in your hobby.

Maybe there will be others that are pro or have been doing them longer then I have to give some Advice better then mine.

Good Luck I would love to see pictures of your pipe before and after...

Thank you
James
WaRevo is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-05-2014, 10:01 PM   #4
MarkinAZ
Formerly MarkinOR

First Name: Mark
Trading: (40)
Navy (Served With Honor)
MarkinAZ is a splendid one to beholdMarkinAZ is a splendid one to beholdMarkinAZ is a splendid one to beholdMarkinAZ is a splendid one to beholdMarkinAZ is a splendid one to beholdMarkinAZ is a splendid one to beholdMarkinAZ is a splendid one to behold

Andrew, do you have a photo or two that you could post up for review?
Old 11-09-2014, 09:27 AM   #5
sikk50
Just Bored Really...

LGC
sikk50 is a glorious beacon of lightsikk50 is a glorious beacon of lightsikk50 is a glorious beacon of lightsikk50 is a glorious beacon of lightsikk50 is a glorious beacon of lightsikk50 is a glorious beacon of light

Where do I get carnauba wax? I can't seem to find it anywhere except in car supplies
Old 11-09-2014, 10:23 AM   #6
MarkinAZ
Formerly MarkinOR

Navy (Served With Honor)
MarkinAZ is a splendid one to beholdMarkinAZ is a splendid one to beholdMarkinAZ is a splendid one to beholdMarkinAZ is a splendid one to beholdMarkinAZ is a splendid one to beholdMarkinAZ is a splendid one to beholdMarkinAZ is a splendid one to behold

Quote:
Originally Posted by sikk50 View Post
Where do I get carnauba wax? I can't seem to find it anywhere except in car supplies
Andrew, here's a company up in Novato, CA called Fine Pipes International. I've used them and great customer service and shipping:

Use the Paragon wax if you have a smooth bowl.
http://www.finepipes.com/accessories...-the-pipe-1-oz

Use the Halcyon II if you have a sandblasted or rusticated bowl.
http://www.finepipes.com/accessories/halcyon-ii-wax

The Halcyon II flows better into the nooks and crannies of a sandblasted or rusticated bowl.

Both are easy to work with
Old 11-09-2014, 10:27 AM   #7
MarkinAZ
Formerly MarkinOR

Navy (Served With Honor)

And, both waxes can be used on the stems too
Old 11-09-2014, 11:05 AM   #8
Subvet642
Bilge Rat

First Name: Darren
LFdC Navy (Served With Honor)
Subvet642 is a name known to allSubvet642 is a name known to allSubvet642 is a name known to allSubvet642 is a name known to allSubvet642 is a name known to allSubvet642 is a name known to all

Quote:
Originally Posted by MarkinCA View Post
Andrew, here's a company up in Novato, CA called Fine Pipes International. I've used them and great customer service and shipping:

Use the Paragon wax if you have a smooth bowl.
http://www.finepipes.com/accessories...-the-pipe-1-oz

Use the Halcyon II if you have a sandblasted or rusticated bowl.
http://www.finepipes.com/accessories/halcyon-ii-wax

The Halcyon II flows better into the nooks and crannies of a sandblasted or rusticated bowl.

Both are easy to work with
I've only used the Halcyon II and I love it. It is so easy to use, I apply more coats whenever I have a few minutes. I have a mix of rusticated and smooth so I figured that I'd only buy one. I think I want to try the Paragon, now.
Old 11-09-2014, 11:38 AM   #9
sikk50
Just Bored Really...

LGC

Thank you Mark!