Cigar Asylum Cigar Forum  

Go Back   Cigar Asylum Cigar Forum > Non Cigar Specialty Forums > Misc > General Discussion

Old 05-06-2011, 07:12 PM   #1
cigarmonkel
User Title goes here

Trading: (32)
Montecristo
cigarmonkel has a spectacular aura aboutcigarmonkel has a spectacular aura aboutcigarmonkel has a spectacular aura about
Default Help choosing my first handgun!

Let me start off by saying, i know this isn't a gun forum which is why im posting this here! before you all get let me explain.

I'm well aware my question has been beaten to a dead horse, i guess its kinda like saying "which is the best cigar?" on this board. But that is why i'm asking here and not on a handgun forum, i want peoples opinions about which handgun would be best for me (i know there are a lot of variables but again please bare with me!).

IF you were in my shoe's which handgun would you choose given the following information. I obviously will be going to ranges (assuming theres one close by that rents guns) to see what i like as well so please don't assume that i will buy something just off what people say on here. I'm using this as a starting point i guess you could say. So many brands and models i'm clueless as where to start looking.

Price range: 700roughly give or take 100.
Use: Fun at the range double up as home protection (don't live on the safe side of town +one of my best friends who i view as my little sister will be moving in with me this next year).
Previous shooting experience:
12 gauges
410 shot gun
tompson yea... i'm gangster!
ar-15
.9mm CZ with a .22LR conversion as well (shot both)
Garand rifle
muzzleloaders
Personal specs: 5'11, 185 pounds i would say my hands are a average medium.

I would also like one that i can throw things like a flashlight and have the possibility of perhaps a red dot on it as well, unless there are big reasons why i shouldn't. I'd say i'm comfortable with/around guns (as long as i know the person holding the gun knows how to handle it) and using them just never owned one before.

useless info?: At the pistol range today using my buddies 9mm CZ with the .22LR i feel i did fairly well. My grouping while using the 22 shocked me at how well i did and i'd say whooped my buddy who owns the gun. But when we switched to the .9mm he went downhill. My groupings where still tight but not on target (he did say the sights were a bit off on the .9mm though). The gun felt great in my hand and the trigger pull i was very happy with only thing i didn't like about it was the fact the trigger and the trigger guard felt like they were too far forward and i could barely touch the far edge of the guard with my trigger finger.

Targets were 25feet away i can snap pics if people want.

Thanks in advance!
cigarmonkel is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-06-2011, 07:16 PM   #2
emopunker2004
Central Fla rollin

First Name: Justin
Trading: (46)
HdM
emopunker2004 is a name known to allemopunker2004 is a name known to allemopunker2004 is a name known to allemopunker2004 is a name known to allemopunker2004 is a name known to allemopunker2004 is a name known to all
Default Re: Help choosing my first handgun!

I love Glocks. You'll find those that hate them and those that love them. I would borrow or rent one to shoot before you buy because some people dislike the feel in the hand. Depending on how big you hand is you could for with a .45 ACP glock and get a holster and some ammo for under your $700 price point.
Also are you planning on making it a carry gun as well as a HD gun? If you are planning on carrying something a little smaller in physical size would be better.
Old 05-06-2011, 07:17 PM   #3
jmsremax
Yet another Masshole

First Name: Jon
Trading: (19)
jmsremax will become famous soon enough

I really like shooting the Sig Sauer P229....feels great in the hand and is easy to strip and clean.
Old 05-06-2011, 07:19 PM   #4
cigarmonkel
User Title goes here

Montecristo
cigarmonkel has a spectacular aura aboutcigarmonkel has a spectacular aura aboutcigarmonkel has a spectacular aura about

Quote:
Originally Posted by emopunker2004 View Post
I love Glocks. You'll find those that hate them and those that love them. I would borrow or rent one to shoot before you buy because some people dislike the feel in the hand. Depending on how big you hand is you could for with a .45 ACP glock and get a holster and some ammo for under your $700 price point.
Also are you planning on making it a carry gun as well as a HD gun? If you are planning on carrying something a little smaller in physical size would be better.
What does HD stand for? I don't plan on getting a CCW as i won't need one. Don't plan on walking around town strapped only thing it will see outside of my house will be my car and the range.
Old 05-06-2011, 07:20 PM   #5
emopunker2004
Central Fla rollin

HdM
emopunker2004 is a name known to allemopunker2004 is a name known to allemopunker2004 is a name known to allemopunker2004 is a name known to allemopunker2004 is a name known to allemopunker2004 is a name known to all

Quote:
Originally Posted by cigarmonkel View Post
What does HD stand for? I don't plan on getting a CCW as i won't need one. Don't plan on walking around town strapped only thing it will see outside of my house will be my car and the range.
home defense
Full size Glock in .45ACP, 10mm .40 S&W
Old 05-06-2011, 07:22 PM   #6
cigarmonkel
User Title goes here

Montecristo

one thing i dislike about the glocks is the socalled safety on them. Never held a glock so i can't say if i like them or not but i would like a gun with a legit safety, one thing my manager agree's with me about (he owns a 9mm glock not sure which one)
Old 05-06-2011, 07:26 PM   #7
Remo
C.I.A

First Name: Mike
Trading: (122)
Partagas
Remo has a brilliant futureRemo has a brilliant futureRemo has a brilliant futureRemo has a brilliant futureRemo has a brilliant futureRemo has a brilliant futureRemo has a brilliant futureRemo has a brilliant futureRemo has a brilliant futureRemo has a brilliant futureRemo has a brilliant future

You will get opinions on this topic ad naseum, I will just give my opinion and then you go shoot some and pick your own, you cannot and I mean cannot go wrong with S&W M&P and Glock, simple to use and go bang everytime, and they are basically indestructible.

The M&P and the new Gen 4 Glocks have interchangeable (different size) backstraps to custom fit your hand, both have rails for mounting lights. I have shot 1,000's of rounds through both M&P's and Glocks and both are well suited for the needs you are stating. Only reason I go M&P is because I like the angle of the grip better and it's just a better feeling/looking gun my

Here is my full size M&P and my compact, also my full size Glock and compact.

Name:  m&p.jpg
Views: 317
Size:  77.5 KB

Name:  glock.jpg
Views: 321
Size:  77.2 KB
Old 05-06-2011, 07:26 PM   #8
emopunker2004
Central Fla rollin

HdM

Quote:
Originally Posted by cigarmonkel View Post
one thing i dislike about the glocks is the socalled safety on them. Never held a glock so i can't say if i like them or not but i would like a gun with a legit safety, one thing my manager agree's with me about (he owns a 9mm glock not sure which one)
Well not to sound like an ass, but the only safety that matters is between you ears. Keep your bugger hook off the damn trigger and the gun will not go off.

End Rant
Old 05-06-2011, 07:32 PM   #9
cigarmonkel
User Title goes here

Montecristo

touche and i understand the only true safety with your gun is you. I'm hoping monday i'll be able to make it out to a range with my buddy to do some more shooting/experimenting with some handguns. Definitely gonna shoot a glock before i start knocking.

Also since glocks aren't metal whats the kickback like? I'm a fan of metal guns, even when i played airsoft i'd take metal over plastic just for the feel of it.
Old 05-06-2011, 07:35 PM   #10
emopunker2004
Central Fla rollin

HdM

it's not that bad. the 40 is "snappy". but the low bore axis of the barrel (how low the barrel sits) helps reduce recoil. With the subcompact size their is a little more recoil but still not too bad. I actually qualified at our dept. range with a subcompact .40 Glock 27 just for fun.
Old 05-06-2011, 09:29 PM   #11
Tikihut27
Learned to Love the Bomb

Trading: (3)
Army (Retired)
Tikihut27 has a spectacular aura aboutTikihut27 has a spectacular aura about

Why not just get a CZ? The price is right for a first gun. I don't know which CZ you were shooting, but they are very reasonable across the board.

Get some more experience firing other pistols over the next year or so and you can trade up without losing a big chunk of change, if you feel you need to.
Old 05-06-2011, 09:56 PM   #12
elderboy02
Lets Go Buckeyes!

First Name: Dan
Trading: (133)
Bolivar
elderboy02 has much to be proud ofelderboy02 has much to be proud ofelderboy02 has much to be proud ofelderboy02 has much to be proud ofelderboy02 has much to be proud ofelderboy02 has much to be proud ofelderboy02 has much to be proud ofelderboy02 has much to be proud of

I love me some Glock's. Rent some at a range and decide which caliber is best for you
elderboy02 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-06-2011, 10:17 PM   #13
Barcode
Adjusting to the Life

First Name: Tom
Trading: (16)
RyJ Navy (Served With Honor)
Barcode will become famous soon enough

I like the Springfield XD series I own the XD45 compact and an XD40 subcompact and have never had a problem. Go to your range and shoot many diffrent guns the Glocks and the M&P are both great platforms choose what feels right to you
Barcode is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-06-2011, 10:23 PM   #14
tx_tuff

First of all the Glock safety (firing pin block) is one of the best safeties you can have. It will not fire unless you pull the trigger! Most gun makers are now putting this same kind of safety on thier guns.

Best gun for home defense is going to be a shotgun, why do you want a handgun? Do you really want it just to go to the range?

Personally I feel for the money you can't beat a Glock. Buy it and shot the hell out of it! You may want to get a 9mm since you are worried about recoil but 9mm is not the best for home defense. Just about any handgun round is going to go through walls into other parts of the house if you miss your target, the 9mm may go into somebody else's house.

I carry a Kimber 1911, but they are more then $700.
Old 05-06-2011, 10:33 PM   #15
cigarmonkel
User Title goes here

Montecristo

I'm not worried about the recoil from a 45 10mm or anything else i just like the feel of steel/metal better then poly. As far as the shotgun goes, yes it might be better but in a tight area i'd much rather have a handgun then a shotgun. Much more agile, lower profile ect ect. I only see one upside to a shotgun for home defense which is the spread and the "oh ****" factor of the guy breaking in.

I've had my eye on the 1911's for a very long time but i want something that i can add laser/flashlight maybe even a red dot site onto down the road. Maybe its the car guy in me but i like to mod my toys .

edit: you can actually pick 1911's up for around 700ish, might not be kimber but kimber isn't the only company that makes 1911's
Old 05-06-2011, 10:34 PM   #16
Bill86
Snob

First Name: Bill
Trading: (67)
Cohiba
Bill86 is a name known to allBill86 is a name known to allBill86 is a name known to allBill86 is a name known to allBill86 is a name known to allBill86 is a name known to all

I really like H&K's. The USP compact specifically.
Bill86 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-06-2011, 10:47 PM   #17
cigarmonkel
User Title goes here

Montecristo

i've actually been looking at the usp 45 for the past few minutes lol
Old 05-06-2011, 10:47 PM   #18
GoodFella
out to sea

Trading: (7)
ERdM AirForce (Active)
GoodFella has disabled reputation

i dont like the grip on a sig or glock. love shooting my xd and love 1911. my next gun will be a fnx. its like a hk just not as much $$

check this out

also this
Old 05-06-2011, 10:55 PM   #19
cigarmonkel
User Title goes here

Montecristo

Quote:
Originally Posted by GoodFella View Post
i dont like the grip on a sig or glock. love shooting my xd and love 1911. my next gun will be a fnx. its like a hk just not as much $$

check this out

also this
YOU LIVE!?!?!?
Old 05-06-2011, 11:18 PM   #20
BlindedByScience
Proud USMC Dad

First Name: Tom
Trading: (0)
BlindedByScience will become famous soon enough

With a handgun, there is a sort of "zen" that happens when you pick up the one that's right for you. For me, it's my various Glock firearms. Might not be for you. I can strongly recommend finding a local range that has guns for rent, and try a few different guns out. You'll know when you have the right one....

You're in the right price range to purchase a high quality weapon; don't compromise there. Glock, Beretta, Sig-Sauer, S&W, Springfield Armory, H&K, Colt, Kimber, Ruger....any of these guys know how to make a quality firearm and can be trusted to provide you with a great tool for your defense needs.

Lastly, take it to the range and put some focused practice time in. A couple of lessons with an experienced instructor will prevent you from developing bad habits and sharpen your techniques. Shooting a handgun is an acquired skill, and it takes lots of practice to do it well.

Be safe and have fun - N.F.H.
BlindedByScience is offline   Reply With Quote