Cigar Asylum Cigar Forum  

Go Back   Cigar Asylum Cigar Forum > Cigar Forums > Island (The other ones) Reviews

Old 11-17-2008, 11:38 PM   #1
bobarian
Cranky Habanophile

Trading: (51)
ERdM
bobarian has disabled reputation
Default Cozy and Bobarian's Blind Tasting Pt 2

Craig and I decided to continue our blind tasting here in the nuthouse.
He sent me five more unbanded smokes.

Tonite I smoked number one. I decided not to measure or look too closely at the wrapper or cap this go round and to mainly focus on the cigar and its flavor.

#1 is a nice robusto sized stick. Reddish wrapper with no large veins or imperfections. Clipped nicely with the Palio, nice prelight draw with no outstanding flavors. Toasted the foot and got some nice aromas from the resting smoke. First few puffs had a bit of a twang which went away rather quickly, much to my disappointment. Flavors were earthy and leathery. Lots of smoke production, the pure white ash seemed to say Nic puro. Not the grey/white banding of a CC. Smoke was a bit dry on my tongue and the flavors did not seem to develop or intensify. Not totally unpleasant on the nose exhale, but a bit harsher than I prefer. This cigar did not seem to have the punch of a Pepin. I put it down with about an inch and a half to go as it was just a bit too one dimensional for my mood tonight. I would give it a 7/10. My guess a Padilla Hybrid.

Craig, my smokes are going out tomorrow. DC #9101128882300490491929
bobarian is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-18-2008, 12:01 AM   #2
TomHagen
Rabbinic Consigliere

First Name: Tattejuaje
Trading: (12)
Bolivar
TomHagen will become famous soon enough
Default Re: Cozy and Bobarian's Blind Tasting Pt 2

Great thread!! I love these comparison threads.
Just subscribed...

plug:
check out my ongoing comparison of CG's...

http://www.cigarasylum.com/vb/showthread.php?t=2792
Old 11-18-2008, 06:14 AM   #3
BlackIrish
MassHole Militia

First Name: Eddie
Trading: (55)
LGC
BlackIrish has a spectacular aura aboutBlackIrish has a spectacular aura about

Love this thread. Thanks for restarting it here.
Old 11-18-2008, 09:34 AM   #4
SmokinCozy
I don't smoke that

First Name: Craig
Trading: (47)
Bolivar MarineCorps (Served With Honor)
SmokinCozy is on a distinguished road

The first time I had this cigar, it laid me on my back and sick to my stomach. For that reason I didn't touch another one for a year. I have enjoyed the other sizes more than this robusto from this brand. When I purchased this small stash I was told these were all from 01-04 so I can't get you an exact year on that stick you smoked. Cigar #1 was an Opus X Robusto
Old 11-18-2008, 09:44 AM   #5
Skywalker
BABOTL

First Name: Dice
Trading: (18)
Partagas
Skywalker has much to be proud ofSkywalker has much to be proud ofSkywalker has much to be proud ofSkywalker has much to be proud ofSkywalker has much to be proud ofSkywalker has much to be proud ofSkywalker has much to be proud ofSkywalker has much to be proud of

Glad to see this is back!!!

Keep up the good work!!!
Skywalker is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-18-2008, 10:01 AM   #6
bobarian
Cranky Habanophile

ERdM

Quote:
Originally Posted by SmokinCozy View Post
The first time I had this cigar, it laid me on my back and sick to my stomach. For that reason I didn't touch another one for a year. I have enjoyed the other sizes more than this robusto from this brand. When I purchased this small stash I was told these were all from 01-04 so I can't get you an exact year on that stick you smoked. Cigar #1 was an Opus X Robusto
Very interesting. Much redder wrapper than any Opus I have seen. Almost looked like a RASS at first glance. It did have some underlying strength which fooled me into thinking Nicaragua. Quite different from the year old Opus I smoked a few weeks ago. #2 goes up tonight.
Old 11-18-2008, 10:51 AM   #7
TomHagen
Rabbinic Consigliere

First Name: Tattejuaje
Trading: (12)
Bolivar
TomHagen will become famous soon enough

Quote:
Originally Posted by bobarian View Post
Very interesting. Much redder wrapper than any Opus I have seen. Almost looked like a RASS at first glance. It did have some underlying strength which fooled me into thinking Nicaragua. Quite different from the year old Opus I smoked a few weeks ago. #2 goes up tonight.
Whoa... big price differential between an Opus and Hybrid. From the pic it does have the reddish, rosado-type wrapper of some Opus'... most RASS I have had are not really so reddish. I though Bob's guess based on his review of the taste profile was spot on, and the Hybrids do vary in wrapper tones... Maybe the age mellowed it somewhat, cause some Opus robustos put me on my tushy also
Old 11-18-2008, 12:38 PM   #8
Bax
C A P S...CAPS CAPS CAPS!

First Name: Tim
Trading: (70)
Partagas
Bax is a jewel in the roughBax is a jewel in the roughBax is a jewel in the rough

I love a good blind taste test
Old 11-18-2008, 05:08 PM   #9
weak_link
The Stranger

First Name: Eric
Trading: (1)
Montecristo
weak_link has a spectacular aura aboutweak_link has a spectacular aura aboutweak_link has a spectacular aura about

I love these threads, go get 'em guys!
weak_link is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-19-2008, 12:36 AM   #10
bobarian
Cranky Habanophile

ERdM

Tonight I smoked #2. 6-6 1/4 x 44/46 Nice dark sungrown or maduro wrapper, just a bit toothy.
Very nice prelight draw, just a bit of resistance and a slight touch of sweetness. Maduro? Very smooth from the first puff. Nice on the nose exhale, with no harshness. Creamy with the hint of sweetness continuing This was the perfect smoke for tonight. Worked late so only had time for one smoke. Wasnt in the mood for anything overpowering and this fit the bill quite well. This was a good mild smoke that I would try again. I am leaning Dominican due to the mild, smooth nature of this stick. But the wrapper has me a bit confused. Not as sweet as some maduro's. I am going to cover my bases on this one and guess either a AF Sungrown 858 or maybe an Ashton Aged Maduro. Its been a very long time since I have had either of these smokes so its kind of a shot in the dark.

Whatever it was, I would recommend this smoke if you are looking for a nice rich, mild smoke.
Old 11-19-2008, 01:33 AM   #11
SmokinCozy
I don't smoke that

I thought I was crazy for liking this cigar the way I do. I searched for reviews and even asked for some input about this stick. Just about everything I read was negative. After going back and reading my old post about these, I realized that you bought a box . Check the link for my opinion of these. Cigar #2 was a Diablo Pimiento.
With almost no good reviews and the give away price on these, I was expecting a real $hit stick.Then when I tried it, I thought my expectations were too low and it was an ok stick. Which is why I enjoyed it so much? So I went to it a few more times and everytime this stick just works for me. I would gladly pick this up before plenty of the premiums that I have.

http://www.cigarasylum.com/vb/showthread.php?t=1603
Old 11-19-2008, 10:16 AM   #12
bobarian
Cranky Habanophile

ERdM

Havent smoked any out of my box yet, but it is good to know the profile. When you are not looking to get kicked in the ass, these are a tasty smooth smoke.
Old 11-19-2008, 08:58 PM   #13
hoax

I was interested that Bobarian mistook an Opus X for a Padilla Hybrid. Never had a Hybrid but I got to thinking and I opened my cooler and sure enough I had a churchill hiding in right in plain site on the top shelf. SCORE!!!

I fired that baby up, and... nothing. It's an ok smoke I guess but it really didn't do much for me. I guess it just goes to show how different tastes can be. I ended up only smoking 2/3's before tossing it.
Old 11-20-2008, 02:21 AM   #14
bobarian
Cranky Habanophile

ERdM

Quote:
Originally Posted by hoax View Post
I was interested that Bobarian mistook an Opus X for a Padilla Hybrid. Never had a Hybrid but I got to thinking and I opened my cooler and sure enough I had a churchill hiding in right in plain site on the top shelf. SCORE!!!

I fired that baby up, and... nothing. It's an ok smoke I guess but it really didn't do much for me. I guess it just goes to show how different tastes can be. I ended up only smoking 2/3's before tossing it.
Justin, This is the wonder of blind tasting. With the pretty OpusX band I might have thought differently and smoked with the preconception that this "must" be good because it is an Opus. The tasting is more important than the guess, I throw in a guess because I am willing to stick my neck out at the risk of looking foolish. I think that is part of the fun. I find that I am getting better at guessing flavor profiles and country of origin, but I am wrong way more often than I am right. But every time I do this I learn something.
Old 11-20-2008, 07:57 PM   #15
SmokinCozy
I don't smoke that

O.k. so the deal for part 2 was I had to give this a shot. Well the cigars arrived today, and since it was so nice I decided to fire up the grill and a cigar.
This is my first review like this so go easy on me. The cigar was firm and cut easy with my Palio. The prelight draw was tight but what I could taste was very familiar.
The cigar took to flame very well and with the first few draws, I knew I had this stick before. I am not one to really give flavors, but by this being my first review I was trying my best to pay attention. What I had was spice on the tongue which tasted just like black pepper to me. There was a creaminess on the back of the throat that I can't put a flavor to, but was very good.
The ash held on for about 1 1/2" at which time the wrapper cracked about two inches. The flavors where pretty much the same up to this point. Once the wrapper split, the flavors took a dive and I was sure I was going to have to pitch this one. Like a true Jar Head I stuck with it and it opened up with a little less pepper and more cream. This was becoming very enjoyable, but this didn't last long. They would come and go towards the end. I think I wouldn't have a problem smoking this cigar again, but there wasn't a WOW factor for me.
As far as my guess to the cigar. I will guess a Pepin product (black robusto)
I hope I didn't sound too foolish
Attached Images
File Type: jpg DSC01313.JPG (83.5 KB, 379 views)
Old 11-20-2008, 09:53 PM   #16
bobarian
Cranky Habanophile

ERdM

Pretty close Craig! That was an original blend Padilla Miami 8 & 11. Blended and made by Pepin in his Miami factory. Your description was pretty much spot on, I dont think these are as peppery as the Blues, but I like them much more.

I smoked #3 tonight. A nice chubby 5 x 50 robusto. Nice reddish brown wrapper that was near perfect. No veins or imperfections really beautiful. Construction was a bit squishy in a couple of spots. Is this a freshie? Clipped with the Palio and prelight draw was a bit tight. Burn was a bit wavy but straightened out after about 3/4". Some nice rustic flavors that were quite pleasant on the nose. I am think this is an island smoke, CC or Dominican. Seemed to pick up some light floral notes, but nothing to sweet. Not super twangy, but I am now leaning CC. The main reason is the pleasantness on the nose and the rustic, grassy flavors. The construction is what is throwing me off on this one. I have not had too many underfilled CC's. This one did have a couple of soft spots. But I am still going to guess a Cuban, maybe a fresh RASS?
Old 11-20-2008, 10:14 PM   #17
SmokinCozy
I don't smoke that

WOW, I have yet to try a Padilla. I have a few in the humi I received in trades from the Pepin days. I don't know the date on them, so I think I will let them sit to make sure those flavors come together.
Your guess on #3 is pretty good. That was a fresh (BLP SEP 07) ERDM Choix Supreme. I can't give much input on this one, as I have only had 1 or 2.
Old 11-20-2008, 10:31 PM   #18
Scottw
Going Commando

First Name: Scott
Trading: (6)
Bolivar
Scottw has a spectacular aura aboutScottw has a spectacular aura aboutScottw has a spectacular aura about

Quote:
Originally Posted by Bax View Post
I love a good blind taste test

Me too, there is what, a $10 difference between the padilla hybrid robusto and the Opus Robusto
Old 11-20-2008, 10:32 PM   #19
Darrell

Bob, you love Choix Supreme and you did not even know that's what it was? NOOB!
Old 11-20-2008, 11:38 PM   #20
bobarian
Cranky Habanophile

ERdM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Darrell View Post
Bob, you love Choix Supreme and you did not even know that's what it was? NOOB!
I do like the Choix's, but since I havent smoked one from your fresh box, I didnt have a fresh one to baseline. And yes, I am still a noob!