Cigar Asylum Cigar Forum  

Go Back   Cigar Asylum Cigar Forum > Cigar Forums > Accessory Discussion / Reviews

Old 11-15-2010, 05:39 PM   #1
76GTFan
Full Blown Section 8

Trading: (9)
RA
76GTFan is on a distinguished road
Default HF beads question

I have used these for years now with no problems. Recently I moved to a vino temp. Held at 65 for a while them started to go in the 70's. I took a hair dryer to all the beads. The RH would nit drop, and yes I have done the salt test.

My question is if all my beads are dry, wouldn't my RH have to attempt to drop to 65, or do some have to be hydrated to make it work. These beads worked fine in my cooler but need to get control of my Vino. Very frustrating.
76GTFan is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-15-2010, 05:43 PM   #2
688sonarmen
Shipmate!

First Name: Jake
Trading: (17)
Bolivar Navy (Active)
688sonarmen is just really nice688sonarmen is just really nice688sonarmen is just really nice688sonarmen is just really nice
Default Re: HF beads question

Quote:
Originally Posted by 76GTFan View Post
I have used these for years now with no problems. Recently I moved to a vino temp. Held at 65 for a while them started to go in the 70's. I took a hair dryer to all the beads. The RH would nit drop, and yes I have done the salt test.

My question is if all my beads are dry, wouldn't my RH have to attempt to drop to 65, or do some have to be hydrated to make it work. These beads worked fine in my cooler but need to get control of my Vino. Very frustrating.
I am having the same problem with the 65% beads I bought a month ago.
688sonarmen is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-15-2010, 06:10 PM   #3
76GTFan
Full Blown Section 8

RA

OK after completely drying it is now better at 68. Let's hope it stays. Does anybody else have this problem when recharging? I think I have used water about 2 times the past 10 months. Anytime I recharge, and I don't use much, I get a spike.
Old 11-15-2010, 06:15 PM   #4
Sancho Fuente
Bungle in the Jungle

First Name: Tom
Trading: (4)
Sancho Fuente will become famous soon enough

I had a similar issue during the summer with the RH fluctuating from 65-70%. The temperature was set at max and not actually regulating right. I came home one day to a 72F vino that was set to 66!

I set the temp down one under the max setting at 65 and it helped to regulate the humidity alot better. I'm not sure if there is a setting on the Vino that just stops the compressor from running or not, but moving it down just 1 degree made alot of difference for me.

A question for you too, are you running a sealed or open drain at the bottom?

** There was an article about temp/RH relation but I am having hard time finding it at the moment. I'll post a link as soon as I find it.
Old 11-15-2010, 06:18 PM   #5
76GTFan
Full Blown Section 8

RA

I didn't see a drain. I thought the electro models didn't have them. I have the only 12 bottle they make.
Old 11-15-2010, 08:52 PM   #6
Sancho Fuente
Bungle in the Jungle

First Name: Tom
Trading: (4)
Sancho Fuente will become famous soon enough

I have the 28 bottle unit which has a drain on the floor. I may be wrong about yours having a drain.
Old 11-16-2010, 12:31 PM   #7
OLS
Suck It

First Name: Brad
Trading: (19)
Bolivar AirForce (Served With Honor)
OLS is a splendid one to beholdOLS is a splendid one to beholdOLS is a splendid one to beholdOLS is a splendid one to beholdOLS is a splendid one to beholdOLS is a splendid one to beholdOLS is a splendid one to behold

I much prefer not to chase humidity. As long as there is moisture in the beads available, I feel
like things will take care of themselves. Not an exact science, but I do not get problems with mushy
cigars or swelling and splitting, so I feel like things are alright. Meters read things, if you keep checking
and worrying, my theory is that you will go a bit nuts. Better to give the beads moisture when they
get white and smoke and enjoy. But I am a renegade. I don't freeze, I don't have a hygrometer,
and some say I am a barbarian to begin with. But if you have ever smoked my aged cigars, you will
find them no worse for wear and tear, humidity-wise. Granted we are talking about wine chillers versus
ice chests, so I may be dead wrong. But I say let things settle out and only worry if your cigars begin
to behave as sponges and are looking mis-shapen.
OLS is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-16-2010, 07:16 PM   #8
76GTFan
Full Blown Section 8

RA

I felt that way with a igloo cooler. I agree, I just don't like to see it rising up to as high as 74. Weeks at74 would be a problem.
Old 11-16-2010, 09:22 PM   #9
76GTFan
Full Blown Section 8

RA

Here is my other concern. Doesn't the fan on the back cause a seal problem? It isn't air tight like a humidor or a cooler. This may be part of the problem. I did find a plug but it is small. I sealed it anyway, but I think the vent for the fan may be the problem. Anybody else run into this?
Old 11-16-2010, 11:13 PM   #10
bobarian
Cranky Habanophile

Trading: (51)
ERdM
bobarian has disabled reputation

The fan circulates air across the heat sinks for the Peltier unit, it is completely external. There is an internal fan that circulates the air inside.
bobarian is offline   Reply With Quote