Cigar Asylum Cigar Forum  

Go Back   Cigar Asylum Cigar Forum > Cigar Forums > Island (The other ones) Reviews

Old 10-25-2010, 01:24 PM   #1
Nathan King

Thumbs up Oliva V Torpedo

Oliva Serie V Torpedo

Overall Appearance and Presentation - 18/20 points

This torpedo is a rich chocolate brown with an attractive sheen from a moderate amount of oil in the wrapper. The cap cuts effortlessly revealing an excellent draw even before lighting. The golden and chocolate colored band is large and attractive - and compliments the rich coloring of the wrapper leaf nicely.

Lighting and Burning Properties - 14/15 points

The cigar lit easily and burned very evenly throughout the entire cigar with not touch-ups or relights necessary. This cigar is packed well - the white ash held tightly to the cigar until about one and one half inches long.

Construction - 28/30 points

The draw of the cigar never changed or became restricted throughout the duration of the burn. The cap held in place and kept its shape nicely even after becoming quite moist. No soft spots or obvious defects in the wrapper manifested themselves. This Oliva is nicely rolled.

Taste - 33/35 points

The dominant flavor in the first third of the cigar is black pepper with some secondary notes of nuts and wood. When the middle of the cigar is reached it really matures and comes into its own. The last two thirds of this cigar are really a treat. A nice balance of complex flavors that tingle the palate jump out. The once dominant pepper notes become secondary, while coffee and leather take over. A hint of spice is still noted. Again, the flavor changes in the last third. The cigar takes on a pleasant caramel and chocolate flavor that compliments and balances out the coffee and leather nicely.

Total Score - 93/100 | Excellent!

I will be stocking my humidor with a box of these Serie V Torpedoes in the near future. I suggest you do the same, as the experience borders on epic.
Old 10-25-2010, 01:27 PM   #2
longknocker
Postwhore

First Name: Greg
Trading: (82)
Cohiba
longknocker has a brilliant futurelongknocker has a brilliant futurelongknocker has a brilliant futurelongknocker has a brilliant futurelongknocker has a brilliant futurelongknocker has a brilliant futurelongknocker has a brilliant futurelongknocker has a brilliant futurelongknocker has a brilliant futurelongknocker has a brilliant futurelongknocker has a brilliant future
Default Re: Oliva V Torpedo

Nice Review! My Favorite Oliva!
longknocker is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-25-2010, 01:58 PM   #3
Beklage
Still Watching My Back

Trading: (1)
Beklage is on a distinguished road

Looks tasty, I need to grab the torpedo size and try it I have only had one of there stogies before and it was good.
Beklage is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-25-2010, 02:34 PM   #4
dwoodward
Gentlemen, you may smoke!

First Name: Derrick
Trading: (26)
HUpmann
dwoodward will become famous soon enoughdwoodward will become famous soon enough

Still have been wanting to try one. Someday i'll buy a box and try a few.
dwoodward is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-25-2010, 03:52 PM   #5
kelmac07
Resident Maduro Whore!!

First Name: Mac
Trading: (218)
Bolivar Army (Retired)
kelmac07 has a reputation beyond reputekelmac07 has a reputation beyond reputekelmac07 has a reputation beyond reputekelmac07 has a reputation beyond reputekelmac07 has a reputation beyond reputekelmac07 has a reputation beyond reputekelmac07 has a reputation beyond reputekelmac07 has a reputation beyond reputekelmac07 has a reputation beyond reputekelmac07 has a reputation beyond reputekelmac07 has a reputation beyond repute

Quote:
Originally Posted by longknocker View Post
Nice Review! My Favorite Oliva!
X2!! Well not entirely true...the Blue Cloth band is my all time favorite Oliva.
Old 10-25-2010, 04:09 PM   #6
forgop
Not a puffer

First Name: Duane
Trading: (40)
Partagas Army (Served With Honor)
forgop is a jewel in the roughforgop is a jewel in the roughforgop is a jewel in the roughforgop is a jewel in the rough

I really like this cigar myself, but I just wonder how much existing reviews influence a reviewer to use much of the same scoring criteria to match existing reviews from the "pros" so to speak. Nice review.
forgop is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-25-2010, 04:11 PM   #7
Ogre
****CENSORED****

First Name: Larry
Trading: (46)
Montecristo
Ogre has a brilliant futureOgre has a brilliant futureOgre has a brilliant futureOgre has a brilliant futureOgre has a brilliant futureOgre has a brilliant futureOgre has a brilliant futureOgre has a brilliant futureOgre has a brilliant futureOgre has a brilliant futureOgre has a brilliant future

This is one of my top 5 sticks. Great cigar.
Ogre is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-25-2010, 04:14 PM   #8
MiamiE
I'm nuts for the place

First Name: Erick
Trading: (38)
RA
MiamiE will become famous soon enoughMiamiE will become famous soon enough

I've had a few of these and everytime they got a tar buildup. Really good until the tar shows up.
MiamiE is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-25-2010, 04:29 PM   #9
Nathan King

Quote:
Originally Posted by forgop View Post
I really like this cigar myself, but I just wonder how much existing reviews influence a reviewer to use much of the same scoring criteria to match existing reviews from the "pros" so to speak. Nice review.
Honestly, I really haven't sought out any reviews of this cigar yet. I decided to review this cigar because I smoked a "V" several weeks ago as my very first cigar and loved it.

Quote:
Originally Posted by MiamiE View Post
I've had a few of these and everytime they got a tar buildup. Really good until the tar shows up.
I have only had two (a double toro and this torpedo) and have not run into this issue.
Old 10-25-2010, 04:32 PM   #10
EricF
Ain't Never Gonna Leave

First Name: Eric
Trading: (116)
RA
EricF is a splendid one to beholdEricF is a splendid one to beholdEricF is a splendid one to beholdEricF is a splendid one to beholdEricF is a splendid one to beholdEricF is a splendid one to beholdEricF is a splendid one to beholdEricF is a splendid one to behold

Great review! I love the V series , but I like the robusto vitola better.
Old 10-25-2010, 04:54 PM   #11
Louistogies
Area Fumado

First Name: Louis
Trading: (26)
Louistogies is on a distinguished road

Great review!
Louistogies is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-25-2010, 05:26 PM   #12
forgop
Not a puffer

First Name: Duane
Trading: (40)
Partagas Army (Served With Honor)
forgop is a jewel in the roughforgop is a jewel in the roughforgop is a jewel in the roughforgop is a jewel in the rough

Quote:
Originally Posted by Nathan King View Post
Honestly, I really haven't sought out any reviews of this cigar yet. I decided to review this cigar because I smoked a "V" several weeks ago as my very first cigar and loved it.
I wasn't suggesting that you had-I just wonder sometimes when scores come in so close together. Obviously, it's a good sign that it's a good cigar with lots of consistency. On the other hand, people that have seen these reviews before smoking it themselves will have that expectation of what it'll be like before they even smoke it.

I smoked another one last week and enjoyed it.
forgop is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-25-2010, 05:31 PM   #13
hscmit
Have My Own Room

First Name: James
Trading: (4)
Bolivar
hscmit has a spectacular aura abouthscmit has a spectacular aura abouthscmit has a spectacular aura about

nice review

I agree with the masses here as it is a good cigar in my book
hscmit is offline   Reply With Quote