Cigar Asylum Cigar Forum  

Go Back   Cigar Asylum Cigar Forum > Cigar Forums > Cigar Discussion > All Cigar Discussion

Old 08-06-2010, 06:57 AM   #861
bsmokin
Slippin... Fast.

First Name: Bryan
Trading: (15)
RA
bsmokin is on a distinguished road
Default Re: Beginner Questions (Ask Them Here!)

Update: My RH in my Edgestar is down to 71% this morn with temp at 62degs. Moving in the right direction...
bsmokin is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-08-2010, 12:11 PM   #862
Flying Pig

Does the label on a cigar serve any purpose other than identification?
Old 08-08-2010, 12:31 PM   #863
Chingas
Death Is Waiting

First Name: Chingas
Trading: (35)
Partagas
Chingas has disabled reputation

Quote:
Originally Posted by Flying Pig View Post
I believe if you use the search function here there is a thread already about this but if memory served me right, The short of it is back in the day , the band use to help keep the wrapper on.

Noadays, no other use than identifying the stick.

Correct me if I'm wrong.
Old 08-08-2010, 12:35 PM   #864
colinb913
Workin' at a Cigar Shop

First Name: Colin
Trading: (1)
Partagas
colinb913 is on a distinguished road

Back in the day they were used to keep the oils off of white gloves the upperclassman used to wear.. Or so i have been lead to believe.
Old 08-08-2010, 01:29 PM   #865
Pass
Puff, Puff...

First Name: Max
Trading: (8)
MarineCorps (Served With Honor)
Pass is on a distinguished road

Quote:
Originally Posted by Chingas View Post
I believe if you use the search function here there is a thread already about this but if memory served me right, The short of it is back in the day , the band use to help keep the wrapper on.

Correct me if I'm wrong.
I believe this is correct.

Quote:
Originally Posted by colinb913 View Post
Back in the day they were used to keep the oils off of white gloves the upperclassman used to wear.. Or so i have been lead to believe.
As I recall reading... Smoking with your gloves on was considered bad form. So I'm not sure that this is the reason. I can't remember where I read that, though... nor why it was considered bad form. I may be all wet on this one, though.
Old 08-08-2010, 01:36 PM   #866
T.G
Grrrrrr

First Name: The Other Adam
Trading: (37)
Navy (Served With Honor)
T.G has disabled reputation

Quote:
Originally Posted by Chingas View Post

Correct me if I'm wrong.
Not sure if I've ever heard that one before. Not outright saying it's wrong, but it's not really logical. Cigars were rolled for quite a long time before bands were added, all the cigars prior to the "invention" of the use of bands, held together without them just fine.

As for today, yes, that things related to it.

Quote:
Also illogical. If there was that much oil it would permiate the bands too, some of which were cloth. Plus, how oily is an "oily" wrapper really? It's not.

I have about ten different books on the history of tobacco and cigars and what's funny is that none of the authors seem to really agree on how bands came about. Some of the theories presented as facts by them include: it was used as a tax stamp, or to keep people's fingers clean from the chickory that some cigars were rolled in for color dying and flavoring, or it was by the order of a noble, or it was an enterprising merchant who wanted to distinguish his cigars from the rest, and so on. No clear consensus that I can recall. It got to be so silly that by about the 4th book, I would just only barely skim, or even just entirely skip that section.
T.G is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-08-2010, 02:34 PM   #867
darkleeroy
Adjusting to the Life

First Name: Josh
Trading: (0)
HUpmann
darkleeroy is on a distinguished road

Today, the wrapper serves several purposes. (1) To help allure smokers, (2) to identify cigars, (3) to flex cigar-peen i.e. The Davidoff Leather Cigar Ring, and (4) to keep the wrapper intact on dry, poorly cut cigars.

I mainly use the wrapper to flex my cigar-peen. People know I'm serious business smoking Dominican Cohibas and Gurkhas.
darkleeroy is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-08-2010, 02:43 PM   #868
T.G
Grrrrrr

First Name: The Other Adam
Trading: (37)
Navy (Served With Honor)
T.G has disabled reputation

Quote:
Originally Posted by darkleeroy View Post
Today, the wrapper serves several purposes. (1) To help allure smokers, (2) to identify cigars, (3) to flex cigar-peen i.e. The Davidoff Leather Cigar Ring, and (4) to keep the wrapper intact on dry, poorly cut cigars.

I mainly use the wrapper to flex my cigar-peen. People know I'm serious business smoking Dominican Cohibas and Gurkhas.
T.G is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-09-2010, 09:16 AM   #869
N2Advnture
www.Cigarmony.com

Trading: (43)
Partagas
N2Advnture has a spectacular aura aboutN2Advnture has a spectacular aura about

Quote:
i mainly use the wrapper to flex my cigar-peen. People know i'm serious business smoking dominican cohibas and gurkhas
roflmao!
N2Advnture is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-09-2010, 10:47 AM   #870
NCRadioMan
Chutney Lovebusciut

First Name: Chutney
Trading: (66)
RG
NCRadioMan has disabled reputation

Quote:
Most likely a myth. Here is some great info: http://www.cigaraficionado.com/Cigar...22,755,00.html

On paper bands: Cigar Bands - Hearsay & History

Quote:
The origin of cigar bands lies primarily in the realm of business and commerce. By the early 1800s the Caribbean island nation of Cuba was the commonly acknowledged source of the finest cigars in the world. Cigar manufacturers shipped cigars in wooden barrels or small wooden boxes which were inscribed with the name of the manufacturer and place of origin, but without any further adornment on the cigars themselves. Cigar bands made of paper were reportedly first introduced by a Dutchman working in the cigar industry in Havana in the 1830s. In Europe it was apparently not uncommon to find unscrupulous merchants attempting to sell inferior, domestically made cigars as a finer Cuban brand, thus Cuban cigar manufacturers soon began to utilize paper bands as a deterrent to counterfeiting and fraudulent marketing.
http://pages.ripco.net/~whizstrt/bandinfo.htm
Old 08-11-2010, 02:54 PM   #871
timj219
Feeling at Home

First Name: Tim
Partagas
timj219 will become famous soon enoughtimj219 will become famous soon enough
Default What does the wrapper leaf contribute?

I was examining a cigar and realized the wrapper is only the thickness of one tobacco leaf. This made me wonder a couple things. If so little of the cigar is wrapper, how much can the wrapper contribute to the flavor? Does the contribution increase with a thinner cigar since it has a correspondingly greater wrapper/filler ratio? Is the wrapper leaf more powerfully flavored that the filler leaves so it can contribute to the flavor even though there is much less of it?

I've never smoked two cigars where the only difference between them was the wrapper leaf so I can't go by experience.
Old 08-11-2010, 03:33 PM   #872
darkleeroy
Adjusting to the Life

HUpmann
Default Re: What does the wrapper leaf contribute?

Quote:
Originally Posted by timj219 View Post
I was examining a cigar and realized the wrapper is only the thickness of one tobacco leaf. This made me wonder a couple things. If so little of the cigar is wrapper, how much can the wrapper contribute to the flavor? Does the contribution increase with a thinner cigar since it has a correspondingly greater wrapper/filler ratio? Is the wrapper leaf more powerfully flavored that the filler leaves so it can contribute to the flavor even though there is much less of it?

I've never smoked two cigars where the only difference between them was the wrapper leaf so I can't go by experience.
Tim, it depends on the cigar itself, but I would say the majority of cigars gain it's primary flavors from the wrapper. The most upfront tastes and aroma like that come from cigars come from the wrapper. Both the filler and the binder are the backbone of the cigars, and provide the subtle nuances, and probably the nicotine kick.

For a second, consider something like Angostura bitters, although only one or two dashes are put in something like an Old Fashioned, immediately one can distinguish a difference between whiskey with the bitters and without the bitters. The same is true for cigars with a wrapper and without.

The easiest, and probably least fun way is to peel the wrapper off a cigar you're familiar with and try smoking just binder and filler. You'll definitely notice a difference.

Finally, yes most of the time there is a difference between ring gauge and flavor. Those cigars which have thicker ring gauges tend to balance between wrapper, binder, and filler and as a result, tend to be not as bold as thinner ring gauges.
Old 08-11-2010, 06:31 PM   #873
lovenhim
Still Watching My Back

First Name: Paul
lovenhim is on a distinguished road

Hello everyone. I found this forum by using Google, so here I am. Smile I am a newbie to cigars. I know some very basic info but that is about it. I have smoked a few cigars but that is all. I got them while on a road trip from JR Cigar in NC. I do not remember what they were exactly other than they were JR Alternative brand. I already own a dual blade SS cigar cutter, but I do not have a humidor. I am a bang for the buck/value for the money kind of guy and want to enjoy a cigar and not spend a lot of money doing it. If I am happy with a $2 cigar then why pay $10? I realize and understand that everyone has different tastes when it comes to a cigar, so I am wondering where is a good place to start? From the little that I know I prefer a medium bodied cigar to a mild. Where do I start and how do I learn? I have read The Idiots Guide To Cigars and it helps with basics. Thanks for the help.
lovenhim is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-11-2010, 06:39 PM   #874
bobarian
Cranky Habanophile

Trading: (51)
ERdM
bobarian has disabled reputation

Quote:
Originally Posted by lovenhim View Post
Hello everyone. I found this forum by using Google, so here I am. Smile I am a newbie to cigars. I know some very basic info but that is about it. I have smoked a few cigars but that is all. I got them while on a road trip from JR Cigar in NC. I do not remember what they were exactly other than they were JR Alternative brand. I already own a dual blade SS cigar cutter, but I do not have a humidor. I am a bang for the buck/value for the money kind of guy and want to enjoy a cigar and not spend a lot of money doing it. If I am happy with a $2 cigar then why pay $10? I realize and understand that everyone has different tastes when it comes to a cigar, so I am wondering where is a good place to start? From the little that I know I prefer a medium bodied cigar to a mild. Where do I start and how do I learn? I have read The Idiots Guide To Cigars and it helps with basics. Thanks for the help.
Start here in the Newbie forum. http://www.cigarasylum.com/vb/forumdisplay.php?f=7 The stickies here and at the top of each forum section are the best place to find much of the information you seek. Have fun and enjoy what you smoke, if that's a $2 cigar, then great!
bobarian is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-11-2010, 06:40 PM   #875
darkleeroy
Adjusting to the Life

HUpmann

Just remember, whatever size you think you need, triple it.
Old 08-11-2010, 06:41 PM   #876
Kreth
Ronin smoker

First Name: Jeff
Trading: (14)
Kreth is just really niceKreth is just really niceKreth is just really niceKreth is just really nice

Quote:
This is a good place to start.
Posted via Mobile Device
Kreth is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-11-2010, 07:22 PM   #877
lightning9191
I think I'm normal...

First Name: Kevin
Trading: (8)
lightning9191 has disabled reputation

Quote:
You've found a great resource right here in the Asylum. Stick around, introduce yourelf, and have fun. We don't care what you smoke as long as you enjoy it.
Old 08-12-2010, 08:20 AM   #878
timj219
Feeling at Home

First Name: Tim
Partagas
timj219 will become famous soon enoughtimj219 will become famous soon enough
Default Re: What does the wrapper leaf contribute?

Quote:
For a second, consider something like Angostura bitters, although only one or two dashes are put in something like an Old Fashioned, immediately one can distinguish a difference between whiskey with the bitters and without the bitters. The same is true for cigars with a wrapper and without.
Good analogy - especially for me because I was a bartender in a former life.
Old 08-13-2010, 07:59 AM   #879
kydsid
Ditat Deus

First Name: Jason
Trading: (46)
kydsid is just really nicekydsid is just really nicekydsid is just really nicekydsid is just really nice

Quote:
Originally Posted by Flying Pig View Post
There is actually a series of Russian Cigar Clan articles that has been reprinted on another site with permission of the IP owner, that includes some insight into the subject. Basically what has been said is they are id, anti counterfeit and marketing.

The series of articles are actually some of the best about cigars I have ever read. I dunno how the TOE feels about linking to another site. Considering the articles cannot be reprinted without permssion I don't want to copy paste them here though. What say the TOE?
kydsid is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-13-2010, 08:52 AM   #880
icehog3
Admiral Douchebag

First Name: Tom
Trading: (60)
HUpmann
icehog3 has disabled reputation

Quote:
Originally Posted by kydsid View Post
There is actually a series of Russian Cigar Clan articles that has been reprinted on another site with permission of the IP owner, that includes some insight into the subject. Basically what has been said is they are id, anti counterfeit and marketing.

The series of articles are actually some of the best about cigars I have ever read. I dunno how the TOE feels about linking to another site. Considering the articles cannot be reprinted without permssion I don't want to copy paste them here though. What say the TOE?
Depends on the site, Jason. PM it to me if you like.

Thanks Dave, Julian, James, Kelly, Peter, Gerry, Dave, Mo, Frank, Týr and Mr. Mark!
icehog3 is offline   Reply With Quote