Cigar Asylum Cigar Forum  

Go Back   Cigar Asylum Cigar Forum > Cigar Forums > Cigar Discussion > All Cigar Discussion

Old 06-10-2010, 05:30 AM   #661
Huskysibe
Chief!!!!!!!!!!!!

First Name: Billy
Trading: (9)
LFdC Navy (Active)
Huskysibe will become famous soon enough
Default Re: Beginner Questions (Ask Them Here!)

Quote:
Originally Posted by jonumberone View Post
I learned here to store Acid cigars in a separate humidor. My question is after all the Acids are smoked up is the humidor safe to store regular cigars in?
I am just guessing but I would think that cedar would need some time to air out first. Thats what I would do anyway.
Old 06-10-2010, 05:39 AM   #662
DPD6030
Shepard of the sheeple

First Name: Andrew
Trading: (151)
Partagas
DPD6030 has much to be proud ofDPD6030 has much to be proud ofDPD6030 has much to be proud ofDPD6030 has much to be proud ofDPD6030 has much to be proud ofDPD6030 has much to be proud ofDPD6030 has much to be proud ofDPD6030 has much to be proud ofDPD6030 has much to be proud of

Quote:
I learned here to store Acid cigars in a separate humidor. My question is after all the Acids are smoked up is the humidor safe to store regular cigars in?
Hello Dom. IMO, I wouldn't chance the herbs and oils that infused from the cigars in the cedar unless you enjoy those types of things in regular non-flavored cigars. Which by your original post seems you do enjoy those. It could be an interesting experiment
DPD6030 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-10-2010, 06:21 AM   #663
jonumberone
Raw Dog

First Name: Dom
Trading: (62)
RA
jonumberone has disabled reputation

Quote:
Originally Posted by DPD6030 View Post
Hello Dom. IMO, I wouldn't chance the herbs and oils that infused from the cigars in the cedar unless you enjoy those types of things in regular non-flavored cigars. Which by your original post seems you do enjoy those. It could be an interesting experiment
It's actually the opposite not a big fan, but I have been handed a few by friends and they tend to sit a while before I get to them. I think from the info i gathered here i'll just set up a tupperdor that I can throw away after they're gone.
Thanks guys.
Old 06-10-2010, 07:23 AM   #664
lightning9191
I think I'm normal...

First Name: Kevin
Trading: (8)
lightning9191 has disabled reputation

Quote:
It's actually the opposite not a big fan, but I have been handed a few by friends and they tend to sit a while before I get to them. I think from the info i gathered here i'll just set up a tupperdor that I can throw away after they're gone.
Thanks guys.
You could probably just wash out the tupperdor and reuse it
Old 06-10-2010, 07:58 AM   #665
Chris.
PSHC!

Trading: (25)
Partagas
Chris. will become famous soon enoughChris. will become famous soon enough

I'm +1 for the tupperdor. Some people believe that you cannot use an infused cigar humidor for non infused sticks after the fact. It makes sense to me if you don't want those flavors entering your cigar, but I don't see why, with some air time, the humidor wouldn't be safe for normal cigars down the road.
Old 06-10-2010, 09:40 AM   #666
T.G
Grrrrrr

First Name: The Other Adam
Trading: (37)
Navy (Served With Honor)
T.G has disabled reputation

Quote:
Originally Posted by Chris. View Post
I'm +1 for the tupperdor. Some people believe that you cannot use an infused cigar humidor for non infused sticks after the fact. It makes sense to me if you don't want those flavors entering your cigar, but I don't see why, with some air time, the humidor wouldn't be safe for normal cigars down the road.
I think it really depends on how many infused cigars were stored in there, how pungent they were, how long they were in there, and if they were stored loose or in their boxes.

If you pick up an old ACID box, some of them will still have an aroma to them years later, a humidor won't be any different, just varies based on the aforementioned.

Tupperdors and humidor storage are not the same and depending on how you like your cigars, you might not care for the tupperdor. I also would not count on being able to wash the aroma out of the tupperdor after a longer storage, ever pick up a piece of tupperware that was used to store a curry dish or spicy chili or anything with a lot of spices in it for a while and smell it? Five washings and weeks later and the damn thing still stinks.

If you want to store the ACIDs in a humidor rather than a tupperdor you can usually pick up a 20-count "(manufacturer) logo" humidor off of CBID for under $10.

Last edited by T.G; 06-10-2010 at 09:46 AM.
T.G is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-10-2010, 10:08 AM   #667
Chris.
PSHC!

Trading: (25)
Partagas
Chris. will become famous soon enoughChris. will become famous soon enough

Very true. I am using one of those inexpensive 20 count humis for my handful of flavored sticks. Got the perdomo 20 ct with some cigars sometime last year for like $20. It has a decent seal as well. I think the humi can hold about 30-40 cigars though depending on size of course.
Old 06-10-2010, 10:25 AM   #668
T.G
Grrrrrr

Navy (Served With Honor)

Yup.

And when you think about the cost of tupperware, even the generic stuff, one that is about the size of one of those 20-ct logo humidors, in most cases, they cost almost as much as the humidor off of CBID and they look like crap...
Old 06-10-2010, 10:47 AM   #669
CigarNut
F*ck Cancer!

First Name: Michael
Trading: (111)
RA
CigarNut has disabled reputation

The only real advantage of the tupperware over a cheap (logo'd) humi is that you know that the seal on the tupperware is good.

A cheap humi is just that, and they often leak like a sieve which is not good if you want to maintain RH...

2 of 3 Requirements for use of the CA Rolodex: 100 posts/ 60 day membership/ participation in trade (trader rating). New members can be added at any time.
CigarNut is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-10-2010, 12:11 PM   #670
T.G
Grrrrrr

Navy (Served With Honor)

There are no absolutes or "givens" Michael. I've had plenty of tupperware that doesn't seal worth a crap, and I have a few of the logo humidors that seal fine.

They are both cheap solutions, neither is perfect.

One of the things about the logo humidors that it seems most people don't realize or take into account is that, like many mass produced humidors, they are not sealed on the bottoms. It's simply a patch of felt glued to the MDF. Placing them on a porous surface, such as a wooden counter, will allow significant area for transfer. Placing them on glass, sealed tile or a sheet of plexiglass will significantly reduce this issue.

The other common place they can leak is the lip seal on the lid. Granted, some of them are very poorly fitted, but five seconds with some masking tape will usually take care of this. You can also go through the effort of removing and re-seating the lip if you so desire.

Practically, that's really the only places they can leak in service. If they have gaps in the lid or splits in the side seams, you should have sent it back upon receipt to CI for replacement.

I've never understood people's obsession with tupperware for cigars. Sure, fine for short term storage, but no air transfer = recipe for mold and soggy cigars in long term storage since they can seal too well.

Oh, and due to the lack of breathing, storing a mixed collection of ACIDs in a tupperware is not really a good idea unless you want them to all end up tasting the same and nothing at all like what Jon had intended because of the sealed environment, the stronger ones will affect the milder ones.
Old 06-10-2010, 01:27 PM   #671
CigarNut
F*ck Cancer!

First Name: Michael
Trading: (111)
RA
CigarNut has disabled reputation

I've always viewed tupperware as a temporary storage solution while I am short on space or cleaning/rearranging my humidor. I also always use beads in any of my humis, from cigar caddy to tupperware to 300 count to coolerdor, this helps keep a stable RH and reduces the chances for mold, etc.

In all of my larger humis (300 count and above) I have a small battery operated fan to move some air. Don't know if it really helps, but it makes me feel better...

2 of 3 Requirements for use of the CA Rolodex: 100 posts/ 60 day membership/ participation in trade (trader rating). New members can be added at any time.
CigarNut is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-16-2010, 10:17 PM   #672
Samsquanch
Feeling at Home

Trading: (21)
ERdM
Samsquanch will become famous soon enough

So here's something I was thinking about yesterday evening while enjoying a fine Siglo VI and grilling some steaks...why is one end of the cigar capped? Just so we can have the pleasure of cutting it how we please?
Old 06-16-2010, 10:33 PM   #673
icehog3
Admiral Douchebag

First Name: Tom
Trading: (60)
HUpmann
icehog3 has disabled reputation

Quote:
Originally Posted by andpeo23 View Post
So here's something I was thinking about yesterday evening while enjoying a fine Siglo VI and grilling some steaks...why is one end of the cigar capped? Just so we can have the pleasure of cutting it how we please?
The cap secures the wrapper from unraveling.

Thanks Dave, Julian, James, Kelly, Peter, Gerry, Dave, Mo, Frank, Týr and Mr. Mark!
icehog3 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-16-2010, 10:41 PM   #674
Samsquanch
Feeling at Home

ERdM

But the wrapper doesn't unravel at the other end...
Old 06-16-2010, 10:42 PM   #675
icehog3
Admiral Douchebag

HUpmann

Quote:
Not if properly cared for.

Thanks Dave, Julian, James, Kelly, Peter, Gerry, Dave, Mo, Frank, Týr and Mr. Mark!
Old 06-16-2010, 10:45 PM   #676
pnoon
YNWA

First Name: Peter
Trading: (20)
RA
pnoon has disabled reputation

Quote:
And why would it?

This may help you understand.
http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=FDBjQX54r5s
Old 06-16-2010, 11:04 PM   #677
Samsquanch
Feeling at Home

ERdM

If the cap is needed to keep the cigar from unraveling, there would need to be a cap on both ends. From the video it looked as though the cigar wrapper was rolled the same on both ends, just one end was cut and the other capped.
Old 06-16-2010, 11:06 PM   #678
icehog3
Admiral Douchebag

HUpmann

Quote:
If the cap is needed to keep the cigar from unraveling, there would need to be a cap on both ends. From the video it looked as though the cigar wrapper was rolled the same on both ends, just one end was cut and the other capped.
False. Capping one end keeps a properly cared for cigar from unraveling.

Old 06-16-2010, 11:08 PM   #679
pnoon
YNWA

First Name: Peter
Trading: (20)
RA
pnoon has disabled reputation

Quote:
Take a sheet of paper and roll it into a cylinder on an angle. Tape the end where you finished rolling. Do you need to tape the other end?
Old 06-16-2010, 11:11 PM   #680
icehog3
Admiral Douchebag

HUpmann

Quote:
Originally Posted by pnoon View Post
Take a sheet of paper and roll it into a cylinder on an angle. Tape the end where you finished rolling. Do you need to tape the other end?
Enable your reputation, and you will see I have bestowed great praise on your wonderful analogy.