Cigar Asylum Cigar Forum  

Go Back   Cigar Asylum Cigar Forum > Cigar Forums > Cigar Discussion > All Cigar Discussion

Old 08-09-2011, 08:11 AM   #1
CigarSquid
AKA Garryyjr

First Name: Garry
Trading: (39)
CigarSquid has a spectacular aura aboutCigarSquid has a spectacular aura aboutCigarSquid has a spectacular aura about
Default Box VS Sampler

I have found a few cigars I am willing to buy by the box, But I am..... scared too.

I like to have the variety of cigars. Any one else like me?

I keep debating on if I should make a coolidor and stock it up. When I think that I will have plenty of the same cigars, I 'worry' myself I might get tired of them.
CigarSquid is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-09-2011, 08:13 AM   #2
Bill86
Snob

First Name: Bill
Trading: (67)
Cohiba
Bill86 is a name known to allBill86 is a name known to allBill86 is a name known to allBill86 is a name known to allBill86 is a name known to allBill86 is a name known to all
Default Re: Box VS Sampler

I started off just like that, I had a pretty decent variety. Then I found what I liked and went crazy on boxes. I would just say find your favorites, ensure that they are indeed your favorites by smoking TONS of cigars.....

Then it's time to buy them by the box
Old 08-09-2011, 08:15 AM   #3
MurphysLaw
Anything can go wrong

First Name: Brian
Trading: (19)
Partagas
MurphysLaw is just really niceMurphysLaw is just really niceMurphysLaw is just really niceMurphysLaw is just really niceMurphysLaw is just really nice

No need to rush into buying boxes, lots of guys buy nothing but samplers and 5 packs and are perfectly happy
MurphysLaw is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-09-2011, 08:17 AM   #4
Blak Smyth
Think Blue!

First Name: SD
Trading: (52)
RA
Blak Smyth has disabled reputation

I currently only buy singles and samplers or 5rs. After I really get my favorites figured out (and have room) I will make some box purchases.
Old 08-09-2011, 08:22 AM   #5
WittyUserName
WOOOHOOO

First Name: Adam
Trading: (15)
WittyUserName has a spectacular aura aboutWittyUserName has a spectacular aura about

Quote:
Originally Posted by Blak Smyth View Post
I currently only buy singles and samplers or 5rs. After I really get my favorites figured out (and have room) I will make some box purchases.
X2

I have however gotten a couple 2nds bundles. I use them as boat smokes after I finish a dive.
WittyUserName is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-09-2011, 08:26 AM   #6
CigarSquid
AKA Garryyjr

CigarSquid has a spectacular aura aboutCigarSquid has a spectacular aura aboutCigarSquid has a spectacular aura about

I bought a bundle once.. I liked it, but got tired of them. So those are the ones i was sharing with my good buddies.

But, I don't want to spend good money on good cigars and then just hand them out since I am tired of them.
Old 08-09-2011, 08:26 AM   #7
CigarNut
F*ck Cancer!

First Name: Michael
Trading: (111)
RA
CigarNut has disabled reputation

Quote:
Originally Posted by OrCal15 View Post
I have found a few cigars I am willing to buy by the box, But I am..... scared too.

I like to have the variety of cigars. Any one else like me?

I keep debating on if I should make a coolidor and stock it up. When I think that I will have plenty of the same cigars, I 'worry' myself I might get tired of them.
Regardless of how you buy cigars, the coolidor is a good idea and you should pursue it. That way no matter what you do, you have room to store your sticks. Also, don't skimp -- get yourself a bigger cooler than you think you will need

When I am trying a new stick I always buy at least two -- after I try it I still have at least one more to help me remember the manufacturer, band, etc. as a reminder for what to buy or not buy. Once I find sticks I like I will get fivers or boxes as they become available at decent prices.

2 of 3 Requirements for use of the CA Rolodex: 100 posts/ 60 day membership/ participation in trade (trader rating). New members can be added at any time.
CigarNut is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-09-2011, 08:39 AM   #8
thechrisdotcom

Trading: (2)
thechrisdotcom has disabled reputation

I currently have 3 different boxes of cigars in my humidors(I have 2). The rest are all singles or sample packs. So technically, I don't have that many boxes of cigars.

you could always pick your favorite of the few you liked and look into buying a box of those, and then just get samplers of the remaining.

I'm still trying new stuff all the time and I always say, I'd like a box of these. But then I find another cigar I like better and think back, good thing I didn't buy that box of other cigars yet.

Now if I had a big cigar cabinet humidor, that'd be a different story. haha.
thechrisdotcom is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-09-2011, 08:40 AM   #9
hscmit
Have My Own Room

First Name: James
Trading: (4)
Bolivar
hscmit has a spectacular aura abouthscmit has a spectacular aura abouthscmit has a spectacular aura about

I know what I like and what I will pay for most of them. I am usually more driven by a good deal on something I like rather than on packaging
hscmit is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-09-2011, 04:21 PM   #10
JWC
Just in from the Storm

First Name: Jeff
Trading: (0)
JWC is on a distinguished road

Quote:
I keep debating on if I should make a coolidor....
There's really not a lot you need to "make" a coolidor. Buy a big cooler, buy some beads, put cigars in cooler with beads. Do the coolers with all the shelves and spanish cedar linings look and function great? Sure, but I have none of that and my cooler works just fine.
JWC is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-09-2011, 04:24 PM   #11
CigarSquid
AKA Garryyjr

I don't have enough smokes for a cooler. My humi holds 50 cigars. I was thinking of just getting another humi.
Old 08-09-2011, 04:35 PM   #12
Tyler

I am different, alot of people here can attest to that, but I buy most everything by the box mostly even if I have not tried them before. It is just so much cheaper in most cases per cigar, although it is more expensive than buy a 5 pack.

If you buy a 5 pack for $25 or a box of 20 for $80 you are still spending more on the box but less per cigar so that is where you have to decide if it is worth it. For me if I don't like the cigar I either trade them, sell them for what I paid, or send them to someone I know likes them.

Most of the time I am able to trade them for other sticks to try though. You also can participate in box passes and other things of that nature and diversify your collection. It is all personal choice though.

I wouldn't suggest going this route though unless you upgrade your humi to a cooler.

Academy Sports and Outdoors sells a 48QT Coleman Cooler for $16. Then you just have to pick up beads and a hygrometer (optional). The whole setup cost me $16 for the cooler and around $20 for the beads. So for the price of a smaller humidor you have a big coolidor. There is plenty of threads on how to setup your coolidor but I just left it open for a few days then sprinkled baking soda all over in the inside and rinsed it out. I then let it air dry for a few days. You then can put the beads and the hygrometer in and let it sit for a day then up your boxes in. Sorry for being wordy but I just wanted to express, like others have said in the thread, that it is very easy and pretty cheap to get a good setup going.
Old 08-09-2011, 05:08 PM   #13
chand
Adjusting to the Life

First Name: Damian
Trading: (22)
Bolivar Army (Served With Honor)
chand will become famous soon enough

I changed my Padilla and Cubao sale from boxes to 5-packs because I think this is the prevailing sentiment.
chand is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-09-2011, 05:08 PM   #14
quantim0
Feeling at Home

First Name: Andrew
Trading: (20)
quantim0 will become famous soon enough

I went crazy buying boxes in the beginning. Now my tastes have evolved and I'm stuck with a bunch of cigars I don't want to smoke.

So my advice is to wait a little while and start adding boxes when you are more confident in your tastes.
Old 08-09-2011, 05:16 PM   #15
Aporschaguy
Two sheets to the wind!

First Name: Adam
Trading: (0)
Cohiba
Aporschaguy is on a distinguished road

I buy my staple cigars in boxes and always grab a few singles to fill the space. I like to buy samplers from time to time. I often find a great cigar that I wouldn't buy normally.
Old 08-09-2011, 05:45 PM   #16
bishjd123
Have a Smoke and a Smile

First Name: Jeff
Trading: (16)
bishjd123 is on a distinguished road

Quote:
I don't have enough smokes for a cooler. My humi holds 50 cigars. I was thinking of just getting another humi.
That's how it starts. Trust the advice given here and go the cooler route if you're just looking for added space.
bishjd123 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-09-2011, 09:06 PM   #17
CigarSquid
AKA Garryyjr

Quote:
Originally Posted by Wallbright View Post
I am different, alot of people here can attest to that, but I buy most everything by the box mostly even if I have not tried them before. It is just so much cheaper in most cases per cigar, although it is more expensive than buy a 5 pack.

If you buy a 5 pack for $25 or a box of 20 for $80 you are still spending more on the box but less per cigar so that is where you have to decide if it is worth it. For me if I don't like the cigar I either trade them, sell them for what I paid, or send them to someone I know likes them.

Most of the time I am able to trade them for other sticks to try though. You also can participate in box passes and other things of that nature and diversify your collection. It is all personal choice though.

I wouldn't suggest going this route though unless you upgrade your humi to a cooler.

Academy Sports and Outdoors sells a 48QT Coleman Cooler for $16. Then you just have to pick up beads and a hygrometer (optional). The whole setup cost me $16 for the cooler and around $20 for the beads. So for the price of a smaller humidor you have a big coolidor. There is plenty of threads on how to setup your coolidor but I just left it open for a few days then sprinkled baking soda all over in the inside and rinsed it out. I then let it air dry for a few days. You then can put the beads and the hygrometer in and let it sit for a day then up your boxes in. Sorry for being wordy but I just wanted to express, like others have said in the thread, that it is very easy and pretty cheap to get a good setup going.
That is what I was thinking.. Cooler, then box splits and 5 packs.. Fill it that way and keep it going that way.
Old 08-09-2011, 09:41 PM   #18
SvilleKid
Yes I am a Pirate

SvilleKid has disabled reputation

Quote:

Does this remind anyone else here of that day, long ago, when he (I) stood on the edge of a steep slope, innocently looking around, not knowing or fully understanding how far down there was to fall!!! An how complete that fall could be!

Been there, done that!

Get the cooler. And keep your eyes out for more coolers, at cheap prices!
Old 08-10-2011, 05:41 AM   #19
massphatness
Where's my buffaloooo ...

First Name: Vin
Trading: (206)
ERdM
massphatness has disabled reputation

Quote:
Originally Posted by SvilleKid View Post
Get the cooler. And keep your eyes out for more coolers, at cheap prices!
Started with a desktop

Then a few desktops

Then a VinoTemp

Then my girl bought me an end-table sized cabinet

Then another VinoTemp

Then an Avallo

Then an Aristocrat

And most recently supplemented with a 120 quart cooler

Yeah, I remember ...
Old 08-10-2011, 06:08 AM   #20
Blak Smyth
Think Blue!

First Name: SD
RA
Blak Smyth has disabled reputation

I think I need to get a cooler! I have no room for a box. currently my purchasing cigars is on hold for a couple reasons, so I am just smoking down my small inventory so I can add a box.