Cigar Asylum Cigar Forum  

Go Back   Cigar Asylum Cigar Forum > Cigar Forums > Cigar Discussion > All Cigar Discussion

Old 06-25-2011, 04:16 PM   #1
area51
Blowing Smoke Rings

First Name: Ken
Trading: (3)
Bolivar Army (Active)
area51 has a spectacular aura aboutarea51 has a spectacular aura about
Default I cant be the only one

Before I smoke a cigar i'lll pull up a review to see if I can pick out the flavors the reviewer mentioned, anyone else do this?
Old 06-25-2011, 04:20 PM   #2
Tyler

Default Re: I cant be the only one

Kind of. I pull up the review before I smoke but just to see what others say. Not to try to pick out the same flavor profile.
Old 06-25-2011, 04:27 PM   #3
Drez
The Warden

First Name: Frank
Trading: (35)
Cohiba MarineCorps (Retired)
Drez is a glorious beacon of lightDrez is a glorious beacon of lightDrez is a glorious beacon of lightDrez is a glorious beacon of lightDrez is a glorious beacon of lightDrez is a glorious beacon of light

i try not to.ill enjoy the smoke first then look up reviews after. i dont want to go in with high exceptions and then be disappointed. i rather go in blind see if i like it then see what other people think.

They aren't going to multiply....burn that b!tch!
Drez is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-25-2011, 04:27 PM   #4
ZachF88
Feeling at Home

First Name: Zach
Trading: (32)
ZachF88 is on a distinguished road

I do this sometimes!
ZachF88 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-25-2011, 04:46 PM   #5
Sherlockholms

I don't do this, but now that I think of it I should start. You know, with getting past the Noob phase and all.
Old 06-25-2011, 04:48 PM   #6
Ogre
****CENSORED****

First Name: Larry
Trading: (46)
Montecristo
Ogre has a brilliant futureOgre has a brilliant futureOgre has a brilliant futureOgre has a brilliant futureOgre has a brilliant futureOgre has a brilliant futureOgre has a brilliant futureOgre has a brilliant futureOgre has a brilliant futureOgre has a brilliant futureOgre has a brilliant future

I don't, I want to form my own opinion while I smoke it.
Old 06-25-2011, 05:34 PM   #7
kelmac07
Resident Maduro Whore!!

First Name: Mac
Trading: (218)
Bolivar Army (Retired)
kelmac07 has a reputation beyond reputekelmac07 has a reputation beyond reputekelmac07 has a reputation beyond reputekelmac07 has a reputation beyond reputekelmac07 has a reputation beyond reputekelmac07 has a reputation beyond reputekelmac07 has a reputation beyond reputekelmac07 has a reputation beyond reputekelmac07 has a reputation beyond reputekelmac07 has a reputation beyond reputekelmac07 has a reputation beyond repute

Quote:
Originally Posted by Ogre3239 View Post
I'm with Larry on this one.
Old 06-25-2011, 06:21 PM   #8
wayner123
Country Gentleman

Trading: (159)
Trinidad
wayner123 has disabled reputation

Quote:
This is how I go about it as well.

However, over the years of smoking and reading the forums I have come across many a review or semi-review of certain cigars. I tend to log most of everything I read into my mental file cabinet, so by proxy I do what the OP suggests. It's hard to smoke a cigar (especially a newer hyped cigar) with a blank canvas, but I strive to do so in order to give an unbiased review of flavors.
Old 06-25-2011, 11:41 PM   #9
icehog3
Admiral Douchebag

First Name: Tom
Trading: (60)
HUpmann
icehog3 has disabled reputation

I do not, the power of suggestion is strong, and like several others, I want to form my own opinions.

Thanks Dave, Julian, James, Kelly, Peter, Gerry, Dave, Mo, Frank, Tır and Mr. Mark!
icehog3 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-26-2011, 12:57 AM   #10
Silound
ex-CS Swamp Gorilla

Trading: (15)
Bolivar
Silound will become famous soon enough

What he said ^ .

I prefer to smoke and form an opinion and then see what my opinion compares with others.
Old 06-26-2011, 01:29 AM   #11
Bill86
Snob

First Name: Bill
Trading: (67)
Cohiba
Bill86 is a name known to allBill86 is a name known to allBill86 is a name known to allBill86 is a name known to allBill86 is a name known to allBill86 is a name known to all

I look at reviews after I smoked the cigar. Just for comparison reasons, usually have to do with the years on cigars. Seeing the variance or what I might look forward too.
Bill86 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-26-2011, 05:34 AM   #12
baddevildog82

I only look at reviews after smoking a cigar if there is something unique that I can not place and I want to see if someone else has figured out what it is so I know next time I come across the flavor.
Old 06-26-2011, 05:48 AM   #13
strife

I check the reviews and I think I still manage to keep an open mind. Smoking blind does have some benefits as well. Every once in a while I'll have my wife pick me out a cigar and remove the band. Most times I figure it out but there is that cool moment when a cigar that I normally don't enjoy surprises me and comes out swinging.
Old 06-26-2011, 05:49 AM   #14
maninblack
Will smoke for food

First Name: Kevin
Trading: (80)
Partagas
maninblack is a splendid one to beholdmaninblack is a splendid one to beholdmaninblack is a splendid one to beholdmaninblack is a splendid one to beholdmaninblack is a splendid one to beholdmaninblack is a splendid one to beholdmaninblack is a splendid one to beholdmaninblack is a splendid one to behold

Quote:
+1. I try to go into the smoke unbiased. But I do read some of the reviews here on CA before I buy boxes. Some people have the same tastes as me.
Old 06-26-2011, 07:13 AM   #15
bishjd123
Have a Smoke and a Smile

First Name: Jeff
Trading: (16)
bishjd123 is on a distinguished road

I read so many reviews on here and some of the blog sites that it's likely I've read something about it before I've tried something new. Whether I can remember all of what I've read is another story. Usually I'll search for a review after I've had a cigar that really grabs my attention and see what others have gotten in terms of flavors or experiences. There's a lot of times my newbie palate just can't pinpoint the flavors and someone else’s perspective might just be the thing I need to give me the insight I needed to give me the specifics of what I tasted.
bishjd123 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-26-2011, 08:43 AM   #16
area51
Blowing Smoke Rings

First Name: Ken
Trading: (3)
Bolivar Army (Active)
area51 has a spectacular aura aboutarea51 has a spectacular aura about

I have an app on my phone called MyCigarBook. While im smoking i'll log my thoughts on flavor and what not and they go back and see a review as well. Its like a game haha.
Old 06-26-2011, 08:46 AM   #17
Emjaysmash
The Hebrew Hammer

First Name: M.J.
Trading: (76)
Emjaysmash is a splendid one to beholdEmjaysmash is a splendid one to beholdEmjaysmash is a splendid one to beholdEmjaysmash is a splendid one to beholdEmjaysmash is a splendid one to beholdEmjaysmash is a splendid one to behold

I used to do this to try to pick out the flavors "most commonly found" in the cigar.

After a while over-examining the cigar took away from the overall enjoyment of it, so I just smoke em now.
Old 06-26-2011, 09:01 AM   #18
Whee
formerly illinoishoosier

First Name: Sean
Trading: (17)
Partagas
Whee is a splendid one to beholdWhee is a splendid one to beholdWhee is a splendid one to beholdWhee is a splendid one to beholdWhee is a splendid one to beholdWhee is a splendid one to behold

I also do this in reverse. Smoke then read. I am always afraid if I read the review beforehand that it will influence what I taste. I use the reviews to help find names for those flavors you can't quite put your finger on while you smoke.
Old 06-26-2011, 09:19 AM   #19
longknocker
Postwhore

First Name: Greg
Trading: (82)
Cohiba
longknocker has a brilliant futurelongknocker has a brilliant futurelongknocker has a brilliant futurelongknocker has a brilliant futurelongknocker has a brilliant futurelongknocker has a brilliant futurelongknocker has a brilliant futurelongknocker has a brilliant futurelongknocker has a brilliant futurelongknocker has a brilliant futurelongknocker has a brilliant future

Quote:
Originally Posted by Drez View Post
i try not to.ill enjoy the smoke first then look up reviews after. i dont want to go in with high exceptions and then be disappointed. i rather go in blind see if i like it then see what other people think.
Me, Too!
longknocker is offline   Reply With Quote