Cigar Asylum Cigar Forum  

Go Back   Cigar Asylum Cigar Forum > Non Cigar Specialty Forums > Misc > General Discussion

Old 03-31-2011, 06:46 AM   #21
jmsremax
Yet another Masshole

First Name: Jon
Trading: (19)
jmsremax will become famous soon enough
Default Re: US finance simplified

21!
Old 03-31-2011, 06:54 AM   #22
MiamiE
I'm nuts for the place

First Name: Erick
Trading: (38)
RA
MiamiE will become famous soon enoughMiamiE will become famous soon enough

Why are political discussions not allowed?
MiamiE is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-31-2011, 06:56 AM   #23
replicant_argent
Gravy Boat Winnah.

First Name: Pete
Location: my attorney has advised against giving this information to insane people
Trading: (22)
LGC
replicant_argent is a name known to allreplicant_argent is a name known to allreplicant_argent is a name known to allreplicant_argent is a name known to allreplicant_argent is a name known to allreplicant_argent is a name known to all

Quote:
Originally Posted by MiamiE View Post
http://www.cigarasylum.com/vb/announcement.php?f=48
Old 03-31-2011, 07:00 AM   #24
MiamiE
I'm nuts for the place

RA

Yes I know they have the right to remove the threads, but I am just wondering why?
Old 03-31-2011, 07:15 AM   #25
jmsremax
Yet another Masshole

First Name: Jon
Trading: (19)
jmsremax will become famous soon enough

Quote:
Things can escalate realllll quick or at least that is what I have seen happen in the past.
Old 03-31-2011, 07:20 AM   #26
awsmith4
Simple Pleasures - 2oL

First Name: Albert
Trading: (111)
HUpmann
awsmith4 has disabled reputation

Quote:
Yes I know they have the right to remove the threads, but I am just wondering why?
Because this is an asylum, a place to relax and enjoy friendship. Politics are not relaxing.
awsmith4 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-31-2011, 07:24 AM   #27
Will herf for food

First Name: Mike
Trading: (9)
VR
357 is a splendid one to behold357 is a splendid one to behold357 is a splendid one to behold357 is a splendid one to behold357 is a splendid one to behold357 is a splendid one to behold

Politics has the ability to polarize even close friends. Basically it is outside the scope of this community. If you want to argue politics there are dozens of other forums where you can do that. CA is for exploring the cigar culture and some other related vices like spirits, good food, and a few other tobacco products.
Old 03-31-2011, 07:25 AM   #28
MiamiE
I'm nuts for the place

RA

Understood and it makes sense. Same with religion!
Old 03-31-2011, 07:50 AM   #29
md4958
Captain Cannoli

First Name: Moe
Trading: (62)
HUpmann
md4958 has disabled reputation

Quote:
Understood and it makes sense. Same with religion!
Neither of which are allowed as topics of discussion here.

"One fart can foul the air for everyone" - Esteemed philosopher
"If avoiding the nasty $hit is being a snob, them I am guilty as charged."- Same esteemed philosopher.
md4958 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-31-2011, 08:11 AM   #30
poker
1:11

First Name: Kelly
Trading: (7)
Cohiba
poker has disabled reputation

While I understand that we all want to view ourselves as mature adults that can hold a intellectual debate without it getting out of hand, history has proven it never works when it comes to politics (at least on the boards I have moderated over the years). The nature of how political threads go downhill is not limited to just cigar boards either.

I found this little tidbit at another non-cigar related board:

Quote:
Ok, some have asked why the Mods/Admins basically don't allow any political topics on xxxxxxxxxxxx.com. I'll do my best to explain.

Back in the day, we had a sub-forum called the xxxxx room. This forum was a place where politically, religiously or other special interest or other such motivated topics could be discussed freely, within reason, and governed by the forums Terms of Use and Code of Conduct. Sadly, this was never achieved.

At the start, the room was great. Members were able to state their personal opinion about political, religious, or other various, related topics that couldn't be posted in other sub-forums. It really was a great way to blow off steam and actually learn more about other members and what motivated their thoughts and beliefs. However, this didn't last, and when it went south, it went south FAST.

What we ended up with was a cess pool of personal insults, back biting, cheap shots and other various forms of nefarious childishness that none of the Mods/Admins were comfortable with. It became a NIGHTMARE to Moderate as most of the Mods wouldn't even go into the room if given a choice. At this point I was only a mod, and I HATED going into that forum for that reason alone.

The end result was this: 12 members in good standing were either banned for COC/TOU violations OR left the forum by their own choice. To me, that was devestating as I NEVER want to lose a member over childish machisimo posturing, "my candidate is bigger and badder than your candidate, can beat him/her up, and is the best choice, for these reasons and I don't care what you think!!!!" This is all this entire sub-forum consisted of, I kid you not.
Is this what we want for Cigar Asylum? I think not.

Cigar Asylum: A cigar board birthed without agendas, without profiting, and without advertisements. Amor puro

Character is what you do when no one is watching
poker is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-31-2011, 08:13 AM   #31
icehog3
Admiral Douchebag

First Name: Tom
Trading: (60)
HUpmann
icehog3 has disabled reputation

Quote:
Originally Posted by poker View Post
While I understand that we all want to view ourselves as mature adults that can hold a intellectual debate without it getting out of hand, history has proven it never works when it comes to politics (at least on the boards I have moderated over the years). The nature of how political threads go downhill is not limited to just cigar boards either.

I found this little tidbit at another non-cigar related board:

Is this what we want for Cigar Asylum? I think not.
I agree, Kelly...I have seen it make enemies out of good friends more than once.

Thanks Dave, Julian, James, Kelly, Peter, Gerry, Dave, Mo, Frank, Týr and Mr. Mark!
icehog3 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-31-2011, 08:14 AM   #32
Skywalker
BABOTL

First Name: Dice
Trading: (18)
Partagas
Skywalker has much to be proud ofSkywalker has much to be proud ofSkywalker has much to be proud ofSkywalker has much to be proud ofSkywalker has much to be proud ofSkywalker has much to be proud ofSkywalker has much to be proud ofSkywalker has much to be proud of

20 Posts achieved!!!

Smoke what you like!!!
Skywalker is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-31-2011, 08:16 AM   #33
icehog3
Admiral Douchebag

First Name: Tom
Trading: (60)
HUpmann
icehog3 has disabled reputation

OK....I think we're done here?

Thanks Dave, Julian, James, Kelly, Peter, Gerry, Dave, Mo, Frank, Týr and Mr. Mark!
icehog3 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-31-2011, 08:21 AM   #34
pnoon
YNWA

First Name: Peter
Trading: (20)
RA
pnoon has disabled reputation

Quote:
Originally Posted by icehog3 View Post
OK....I think we're done here?

Posted via Mobile Device
pnoon is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-31-2011, 08:59 AM   #35
BC-Axeman

Quote:
Originally Posted by BC-Axeman View Post
From a Cybercast news article today:

"Imagine that you had an average monthly income of about $170 balanced against average monthly expenses of about $940--and that you were more than $14,000 in debt. Then imagine that as of today, you had only $58.60 in cash left in your bank account and $130.50 left on your line of credit. Now multiply these numbers by 1 billion and you will have the up-to-date financial situation of the U.S. government."

Now imagine you can just print more money.
And that you can keep borrowing.
Before this gets closed over discussion of why it might be closed...
Let me just add that simplified is just that. All of those numbers are very dynamic. The "in the bank" and "credit" numbers start at very high values and count down to nothing for every budget. The "income" number swings wildly around the economy. The "expenses" and "debt" are ticking up slowly for now but that can change. It's not as bad as this snapshot makes it seem. Which is still pretty bad.
Old 03-31-2011, 09:34 AM   #36
jledou
Have My Own Room

First Name: Jay
Trading: (27)
Punch
jledou has a spectacular aura aboutjledou has a spectacular aura aboutjledou has a spectacular aura about

Interesting, I am not an economist so my total understanding is limited in the big picture. This statement brings the numbers all down to a "personal" perspective since most of us tend to lose touch when talking about billions and trillions but fully grasp a couple hundred bucks.
This all being said, operation of personal finances are different than government and business so I wonder if being brought down to a personal perspective still makes everything make sense?
jledou is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-31-2011, 01:39 PM   #37
kaisersozei
The Homebrew Hammer

First Name: Gerard
Trading: (40)
Punch Army (Served With Honor)
kaisersozei is a name known to allkaisersozei is a name known to allkaisersozei is a name known to allkaisersozei is a name known to allkaisersozei is a name known to allkaisersozei is a name known to all

Quote:
Originally Posted by jledou View Post
Interesting, I am not an economist so my total understanding is limited in the big picture. This statement brings the numbers all down to a "personal" perspective since most of us tend to lose touch when talking about billions and trillions but fully grasp a couple hundred bucks.
This all being said, operation of personal finances are different than government and business so I wonder if being brought down to a personal perspective still makes everything make sense?
I agree with you, Jay, the model is a little iffy in parts. Don't think national economics and personal finances line up precisely. It gives you a great perspective overall, but I'm betting the "income" side is based on GDP or something.

For comparisons, I'd be interested to see how we match up with other developed countries, using this same kind of model.

kaisersozei is offline   Reply With Quote