Cigar Asylum Cigar Forum  

Go Back   Cigar Asylum Cigar Forum > Non Cigar Specialty Forums > Misc > Entertainment

Old 08-06-2010, 04:35 PM   #1
Starscream
Knowhutimean, Vern?

First Name: Andy
Trading: (4)
Partagas
Starscream is a splendid one to beholdStarscream is a splendid one to beholdStarscream is a splendid one to beholdStarscream is a splendid one to beholdStarscream is a splendid one to beholdStarscream is a splendid one to behold
Default RPG Games: What's good about them?

I've attempted to play some RPG games throughout the years but can't seem to get into them. Everyone who is a hardcore gamer seems to like at least one of the Final Fantasy games, but I just can't get into them. Am I missing something? The main thing I don't get (maybe it's b/c I haven't fully grasped the understanding of how to sucessfully do so) is fight in an rpg game. Someone give me some info or tell me what I'm missing.

Insert quote here.
Starscream is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-06-2010, 04:49 PM   #2
kaisersozei
The Homebrew Hammer

First Name: Gerard
Trading: (40)
Punch Army (Served With Honor)
kaisersozei is a name known to allkaisersozei is a name known to allkaisersozei is a name known to allkaisersozei is a name known to allkaisersozei is a name known to allkaisersozei is a name known to all
Default Re: RPG Games: What's good about them?

Are you talking about RPG video games for platform systems? Not trying to be a "rules lawyer" (heh--old inside joke to RPGers ) but I find a big difference between

1) the classic pen & paper RPGs (like D&D) where the interaction is between real live people sitting together,
2) computer-based RPGs, which are usually just 1-person affairs that use a classic mathematical RPG-based engine to make decisions, process outcomes, guide pre-set conversations, etc,
3) computer-based multiplayer on-line RPGs (like World of Warcraft) and
4) platform based RPGs.

I'm old school, so I prefer 1 & 2, especially when the computer-based game can be adapted for small party on-line play (like the Baldurs Gate & Neverwinter Night series.)

Combat is a bit different for each of those, but should be based on some mathematical or statistical formula. Values are given to attack and defend, and then dice or some other random number generator is used to help calculate a probability value that indicates a chance to hit. Most video games just have enhanced graphics to demonstrate the outcome of that equation (hits, misses, critical hits, etc.)

As I am rambling, it occured to me that you might be asking something entirely different. So I'm just gonna stop here and say: I've been a big RPG fan for more than 20 years, and I've never played any of the Final Fantasy series!

kaisersozei is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-06-2010, 05:03 PM   #3
Brutus2600
Your resident lancerHO

First Name: Brian
Trading: (46)
LGC
Brutus2600 has a spectacular aura aboutBrutus2600 has a spectacular aura aboutBrutus2600 has a spectacular aura about

I love the Final Fantasy games, IX being the first I played and also one of my favorites. However, if you've never played any RPG video games before, they are probably going to be the most overwhelming game you could try first. They are just so LARGE in the whole scope of things.

Try something simpler, but still fun, such as the entire Fallout series (Fallout is a classic, albeit very old graphics, Fallout 2 was ok, and the newest one, Fallout 3, has some great graphics and a really great storyline too). I've heard very good things about the Mass Effect series (1 & 2) however I haven't played them. Star Wars: Knights of the Old Republic is a classic as well.

While the Fallout series, for instance, is still a very large world, it's a little more fast paced and not as annoying to play as the FF series can be with their random encounters.

If these games don't grab your attention, you might just not be an RPG guy Nothing wrong with that. There are plenty of other games you can play
Brutus2600 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-06-2010, 05:09 PM   #4
kaisersozei
The Homebrew Hammer

First Name: Gerard
Trading: (40)
Punch Army (Served With Honor)
kaisersozei is a name known to allkaisersozei is a name known to allkaisersozei is a name known to allkaisersozei is a name known to allkaisersozei is a name known to allkaisersozei is a name known to all

Quote:
Originally Posted by Brutus2600 View Post
Try something simpler, but still fun, such as the entire Fallout series (Fallout is a classic, albeit very old graphics, Fallout 2 was ok, and the newest one, Fallout 3, has some great graphics and a really great storyline too). I've heard very good things about the Mass Effect series (1 & 2) however I haven't played them. Star Wars: Knights of the Old Republic is a classic as well.
I would echo these suggestions. The original Fallout is one of my all-time favorite RPGs, and Mass Effect tops that list hands-down.

kaisersozei is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-06-2010, 08:46 PM   #5
Starscream
Knowhutimean, Vern?

Partagas
Starscream is a splendid one to beholdStarscream is a splendid one to beholdStarscream is a splendid one to beholdStarscream is a splendid one to beholdStarscream is a splendid one to beholdStarscream is a splendid one to behold

Quote:
Originally Posted by kaisersozei View Post
Are you talking about RPG video games for platform systems? Not trying to be a "rules lawyer" (heh--old inside joke to RPGers ) but I find a big difference between

1) the classic pen & paper RPGs (like D&D) where the interaction is between real live people sitting together,
2) computer-based RPGs, which are usually just 1-person affairs that use a classic mathematical RPG-based engine to make decisions, process outcomes, guide pre-set conversations, etc,
3) computer-based multiplayer on-line RPGs (like World of Warcraft) and
4) platform based RPGs.

I'm old school, so I prefer 1 & 2, especially when the computer-based game can be adapted for small party on-line play (like the Baldurs Gate & Neverwinter Night series.)

Combat is a bit different for each of those, but should be based on some mathematical or statistical formula. Values are given to attack and defend, and then dice or some other random number generator is used to help calculate a probability value that indicates a chance to hit. Most video games just have enhanced graphics to demonstrate the outcome of that equation (hits, misses, critical hits, etc.)

As I am rambling, it occured to me that you might be asking something entirely different. So I'm just gonna stop here and say: I've been a big RPG fan for more than 20 years, and I've never played any of the Final Fantasy series!
I assume I'm talking about option number 4. All of the Final Fantasy games from the NES on up, the old Ultima games, and Dragon Quest. The only RPG game I liked so far is Kingdom Hearts (I) but I suck majorly at it. I can't get past the jungle (Tarzan) level.

Insert quote here.
Old 08-06-2010, 08:50 PM   #6
shilala
Dear Lord, Thank You.

First Name: Scott
Trading: (252)
Cuaba
shilala has a reputation beyond reputeshilala has a reputation beyond reputeshilala has a reputation beyond reputeshilala has a reputation beyond reputeshilala has a reputation beyond reputeshilala has a reputation beyond reputeshilala has a reputation beyond reputeshilala has a reputation beyond reputeshilala has a reputation beyond reputeshilala has a reputation beyond reputeshilala has a reputation beyond repute

They're all suck to me, Andy.
My daughter loves them, I like simple FPS and racing games.
I don't wanna think when I'm playing video games, and I could jut never get beside the D&D stuff, either.
Old 08-06-2010, 08:53 PM   #7
Starscream
Knowhutimean, Vern?

Partagas

Quote:
Originally Posted by Brutus2600 View Post
I love the Final Fantasy games, IX being the first I played and also one of my favorites. However, if you've never played any RPG video games before, they are probably going to be the most overwhelming game you could try first. They are just so LARGE in the whole scope of things.

While the Fallout series, for instance, is still a very large world, it's a little more fast paced and not as annoying to play as the FF series can be with their random encounters.

If these games don't grab your attention, you might just not be an RPG guy Nothing wrong with that. There are plenty of other games you can play
I love KOTOR but I wouldn't consider it an RPG game in my opinion.

Let me change my original question to not just RPG games, but Final Fantasy style games in general. My major issue is the combat/fight screens and leveling up.

Insert quote here.
Old 08-06-2010, 09:01 PM   #8
Brutus2600
Your resident lancerHO

First Name: Brian
Trading: (46)
LGC
Brutus2600 has a spectacular aura aboutBrutus2600 has a spectacular aura aboutBrutus2600 has a spectacular aura about

Yeah...I wouldn't either but when I did a quick search for RPG so I could cull a few of of the list that came up *shrug* I'd consider that more of an FPS with a good storyline. Oh well It's a good game regardless, haha

I really do think you should consider checking out the Fallout series. Great RPG, but it doesn't get nearly as technical as the FF series does in leveling up and as boring as the fights are (yeah...I'm not a fan of the FF fights)
Brutus2600 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-07-2010, 12:32 AM   #9
Starscream
Knowhutimean, Vern?

Partagas

Let me break it down a bit more:

I have heard great things about all of the Final Fantasy games. I hear there is not a bad one out of all of the series. So I started off playing FF3 (I think it's FF6 in the series but for the NES it's 3). Old NES gamers such as me say that the Final Fantasy games on the NES are great jumping on points but I just don't get it. Here's a link to where I was playing FF3 on the NES:

http://www.everyvideogame.com/arcade...lay&gameid=308

If you are an old school gamer you will love the site. I linked just FF3 but there are a plethora of old NES games at that site.

I tried to play FF3 but I suck at it. Any tips for a non RPG gamer?

In case of any reccommendations, I own a Wii and a PS2, and have access to a couple of old NES emulator sites.

Insert quote here.

Last edited by Starscream; 08-07-2010 at 12:37 AM.
Old 08-07-2010, 12:35 AM   #10
Starscream
Knowhutimean, Vern?

Partagas

Quote:
Originally Posted by shilala View Post
They're all suck to me, Andy.
My daughter loves them, I like simple FPS and racing games.
I don't wanna think when I'm playing video games, and I could jut never get beside the D&D stuff, either.
I'm a big fan of side scrollers (Super Mario type games) but I also am a major Zelda fan as well. Many people put Zelda and FF games in the same category but Zelda has more action during the fighting sequences, not just attack, magic, defend, run, and whatever else RPG games have (if that makes any sense).

I'm not here to attack RPG games such as FF games, I'm asking a serious question b/c I want to get into them but can't.

Insert quote here.
Old 08-07-2010, 01:02 AM   #11
SaltyMcGee
Gone munting...

First Name: Jared
Trading: (3)
SLR
SaltyMcGee will become famous soon enough

Have you ever played the Mass Effect series on Xbox? Those 2 games are incredible. A fantastic hybrid of the RPG and FPS.
Old 08-07-2010, 02:26 AM   #12
Starscream
Knowhutimean, Vern?

Partagas

Quote:
Originally Posted by SaltyMcGee View Post
Have you ever played the Mass Effect series on Xbox? Those 2 games are incredible. A fantastic hybrid of the RPG and FPS.
Wii and PS2 only.

Insert quote here.
Old 08-07-2010, 05:19 AM   #13
Chingas
Death Is Waiting

First Name: Chingas
Trading: (35)
Partagas
Chingas has disabled reputation

Grand Theft Auto. Excellent, no pressure RPG where if you get bored, you can steal a car, summon the police, FBI and ARMY and proceed to kill them all.

I'm playing Red Dead Redemtion now. It's a wild wild west ride thru old Mexico and Arizona areas. Your tasked to clean up a mess you left a long time ago while the law holds your wife and kid hostage. Games pretty intense.

I'd say watch a trailer and are if you could get into it.
Old 08-07-2010, 10:44 AM   #14
VirtualSmitty
WiP!?

First Name: Joe
Trading: (0)
Vegueros
VirtualSmitty has disabled reputation

Final Fantasy is a JRPG and I can't stand them either. Of the many i've tried only Uncharted Waters and Chrono Trigger. Bioware has done a great job with the medium, KOTOR 1&2 were both good, Dragon Age was Excellent, and Mass Effect 1&2 were outstanding. They are all available for pc as well, not just xbox/ps3.

There are a few games for Wii that are worth checking out. Monster Hunter Tri is pretty cool, sort of a hybrid between eastern and western games. It's like Fable with a Japanese twist to it.
Old 08-07-2010, 07:28 PM   #15
Apoco
Nerd with social skills

First Name: Alex
Trading: (37)
Apoco is a jewel in the roughApoco is a jewel in the roughApoco is a jewel in the rough

I played EverQuest for 7 years, WoW for 5, and played FF7,8,9,10.

The appeal on EQ and WoW is the social aspect first and foremost. I enjoyed having a group of people to talk with on ventrilo, in our guild forum, and in-game. I was also a raider, so I worked with a team of people to accomplish big objectives/goals (i.e. killing the final boss that existed at the time). This really drove me to put in a lot of hours into both games (we're talking well over a year and a half of online time. probably closer to two).

For the Final Fantasy series, I enjoy those mostly for their story line. The game play itself is not very exciting/challenging for the most part.

Also - D&D is really, really fun with the right group of people. An incredibly social game.
Apoco is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-08-2010, 01:04 AM   #16
Ty Atkinson

I am a huge turn based rpg fan, Final Fantasy series etc, about any rpg made by square is okay in my book, However i must admit i started with the SNES which in my opinion has some of the best games made, Chrono Trigger, Super Mario RPG, EarthBound, Secret of Mana, etc.

What i would do in your situation is pick up a copy of Final Fantasy 7 which was me above and beyond enjoyable compared to any other game in the series, Freedom in exploration, side quests and mini games.

You should look up Earthbound for its time it was miles ahead of its competition.
Old 08-11-2010, 01:27 PM   #17
Starscream
Knowhutimean, Vern?

Partagas

Quote:
Originally Posted by Ty Atkinson View Post
I am a huge turn based rpg fan, Final Fantasy series etc, about any rpg made by square is okay in my book, However i must admit i started with the SNES which in my opinion has some of the best games made, Chrono Trigger, Super Mario RPG, EarthBound, Secret of Mana, etc.

What i would do in your situation is pick up a copy of Final Fantasy 7 which was me above and beyond enjoyable compared to any other game in the series, Freedom in exploration, side quests and mini games.

You should look up Earthbound for its time it was miles ahead of its competition.
What system is Earthbound on?

Insert quote here.
Old 08-11-2010, 01:30 PM   #18
Darrell

Quote:
Originally Posted by andysutherland View Post
What system is Earthbound on?
Earthbound is rad.

It was for SNES if I recall.
Old 08-11-2010, 01:48 PM   #19
Jbailey
Brewcifer

First Name: Dave
Trading: (17)
Jbailey has disabled reputation

Years ago I was hooked on RPG games, some of my favorites are:

NES- Final Fantasy

SNES-Secret Of Mana takes the cake for SNES, also the Final Fantasy games and Chrono Trigger.

Playstation- Final Fantasy 7 (one of the best imho) also Xenogears, Vagrant Story, Tales of Destiny. Would like to toss in Final Fantasy Tactics as another quality game.
Old 08-11-2010, 02:13 PM   #20
Mugen910
I <3 Huy

First Name: Location
Trading: (106)
HUpmann MarineCorps (Served With Honor)
Mugen910 has disabled reputation

Secret of Mana was my favorite...

I never got into the RPG's much but I found that if my cousin was playing I'd sit and watch for a long time... *shrugs*