Cigar Asylum Cigar Forum  

Go Back   Cigar Asylum Cigar Forum > Cigar Forums > Cigar Discussion > All Cigar Discussion

Old 04-29-2012, 11:59 AM   #1
SmokinPhysics
Just in from the Storm

First Name: Galen
Trading: (0)
SmokinPhysics is on a distinguished road
Default Shopping Around?

So I've spent some time the last several days (procrastination FTW) reading and digesting several pages worth of threads, and I must admit the selection of sales sites is a bit overwhelming. It seems like everyone either has some sort of go-to or a few that they use on a regular basis. My question is how much shopping around do you do prior to any given purchase?

I'm also curious as to how yall arrive at your purchase decisions. The cigar selections are so huge, and it's hard to choose even among sampler packs (it really is a slippery slope, huh ). I've been a beer geek longer than I've been into cigars, and I have the same issue in that hobby; I generally spend 15-30 minutes perusing a (good) bottle shop's selection before settling on a purchase (even if I've been to that shop before), and that's after spending hours of my own time reading reviews and the like of various beers online.
Old 04-29-2012, 12:07 PM   #2
Apexkingjusto
Newb

First Name: Justin
Trading: (2)
Cohiba
Apexkingjusto is on a distinguished road
Default Re: Shopping Around?

If you are new to cigars and just dont know what you like yet i suggest continue reading others suggestions and go to your b&m or there is a single cigar site sorry forgot name...buy yourself a bunch of singles. Once you find the ones you like buy a 5pack of it...if you still like it buy a box! I spent tons of hours reading reviews. Sign up for the newbi sampler also a great way to try new sticks! I find most of the combos from ci or similar retatilers to be a waste....typically 1 or 2 good sticks for ever 5 bad ones...this isnt always the case but seems to be often
Apexkingjusto is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-29-2012, 12:09 PM   #3
shilala
Dear Lord, Thank You.

First Name: Scott
Trading: (252)
Cuaba
shilala has a reputation beyond reputeshilala has a reputation beyond reputeshilala has a reputation beyond reputeshilala has a reputation beyond reputeshilala has a reputation beyond reputeshilala has a reputation beyond reputeshilala has a reputation beyond reputeshilala has a reputation beyond reputeshilala has a reputation beyond reputeshilala has a reputation beyond reputeshilala has a reputation beyond repute

Best I can say is that one learns cigars the same way you learned beers, my friend.
We lean heavily on each other's reviews, and can suggest things to newcomers based on things they've said they liked.
Then it just takes time.
If you've gotten good at beer geekery, cigar geekery is much the same. It takes years to learn a good amount of stuff, and you never learn everything. That's why it's so nice to have a brotherhood to lean on for advice, no matter how long we've played with cigars.
Old 04-29-2012, 12:23 PM   #4
Wharf Rat
I'll get up and fly away

First Name: Bob
Trading: (7)
RA
Wharf Rat will become famous soon enoughWharf Rat will become famous soon enough

The minimum research is to at least know which sites are different divisions of the same company. For example, Cigars International / CBid / cigars.com / Cigar sprint are cousins. So, don't bid more on Cbid than its normally listed on CI.
Wharf Rat is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-29-2012, 01:10 PM   #5
DaBear
Have My Own Room

First Name: Bear
Trading: (26)
HdM
DaBear is a jewel in the roughDaBear is a jewel in the roughDaBear is a jewel in the rough

Also, don't forget to get a copy of the CA Newsletter. Shoot me your addy in a PM and I can get a copy off to you Wednesday if you'd like. Lots of good reviews and reading material.
DaBear is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-29-2012, 01:14 PM   #6
mase
Undead Recruiter

First Name: Kevin
Trading: (9)
Cohiba
mase will become famous soon enoughmase will become famous soon enough

Quote:
Originally Posted by DaBear View Post
Also, don't forget to get a copy of the CA Newsletter. Shoot me your addy in a PM and I can get a copy off to you Wednesday if you'd like. Lots of good reviews and reading material.
Great advice
Old 04-29-2012, 04:11 PM   #7
TJarv
In it to win it

First Name: Tony
Trading: (58)
HUpmann
TJarv has a spectacular aura aboutTJarv has a spectacular aura aboutTJarv has a spectacular aura about

Quote:
I learned so much from that thing
TJarv is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-29-2012, 04:22 PM   #8
MarkinAZ
Formerly MarkinOR

First Name: Mark
Trading: (40)
Navy (Served With Honor)
MarkinAZ is a splendid one to beholdMarkinAZ is a splendid one to beholdMarkinAZ is a splendid one to beholdMarkinAZ is a splendid one to beholdMarkinAZ is a splendid one to beholdMarkinAZ is a splendid one to beholdMarkinAZ is a splendid one to behold

Quote:
...The CA Newsletter?

Old 04-29-2012, 07:34 PM   #9
thecatch83

I say enjoy the journey, make mistakes, smoke sticks that you wouldn't give to your mother in law. That's how you develop tastes, and that in turn develops your pallet. I think everyone has purchased a crappy sampler in their day, before they smoked their first Padron anny, Liga Privada or Tat.
Old 04-29-2012, 07:36 PM   #10
kelmac07
Resident Maduro Whore!!

First Name: Mac
Trading: (218)
Bolivar Army (Retired)
kelmac07 has a reputation beyond reputekelmac07 has a reputation beyond reputekelmac07 has a reputation beyond reputekelmac07 has a reputation beyond reputekelmac07 has a reputation beyond reputekelmac07 has a reputation beyond reputekelmac07 has a reputation beyond reputekelmac07 has a reputation beyond reputekelmac07 has a reputation beyond reputekelmac07 has a reputation beyond reputekelmac07 has a reputation beyond repute

Smoke a ton of different sticks and you will soon discover what you like/dislike and take it from there.

And a plug for Brent...the CA Newbie Sampler Trade III is a very good way to get a bunch of different sticks to try.
Old 04-29-2012, 07:47 PM   #11
schollianmj

Quote:
This. I am still studying mine.
Old 04-29-2012, 07:59 PM   #12
OLS
Suck It

First Name: Brad
Trading: (19)
Bolivar AirForce (Served With Honor)
OLS is a splendid one to beholdOLS is a splendid one to beholdOLS is a splendid one to beholdOLS is a splendid one to beholdOLS is a splendid one to beholdOLS is a splendid one to beholdOLS is a splendid one to behold

I, too, would like the name of a good vendor.
OLS is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-29-2012, 08:34 PM   #13
never_enough
Never Satisfied

First Name: Robert
Trading: (6)
HUpmann
never_enough will become famous soon enoughnever_enough will become famous soon enough

I always just pick up random sticks at B&M's and online. I still try things that people like on here, but we are all different so someone else's review only goes so far for you.
never_enough is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-29-2012, 08:51 PM   #14
ZachF88
Feeling at Home

First Name: Zach
Trading: (32)
ZachF88 is on a distinguished road

I like cigarsAtYourPrice.com.....

As for which smokes, just be venturius and buy/smoke. The great thing about cigars is that you can't try them all!!

Smoke what you like and like what you smoke.
ZachF88 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-29-2012, 10:01 PM   #15
SmokinPhysics
Just in from the Storm

First Name: Galen
SmokinPhysics is on a distinguished road

All very good advice.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Wharf Rat View Post
The minimum research is to at least know which sites are different divisions of the same company. For example, Cigars International / CBid / cigars.com / Cigar sprint are cousins. So, don't bid more on Cbid than its normally listed on CI.
Very interesting. I probably would've taken a while to figure that out, as I'm not keen to go searching for such information right off the bat, particularly coming from the beer side of things where the distribution mechanics are very different.
Old 04-29-2012, 10:16 PM   #16
maninblack
Will smoke for food

First Name: Kevin
Trading: (80)
Partagas
maninblack is a splendid one to beholdmaninblack is a splendid one to beholdmaninblack is a splendid one to beholdmaninblack is a splendid one to beholdmaninblack is a splendid one to beholdmaninblack is a splendid one to beholdmaninblack is a splendid one to beholdmaninblack is a splendid one to behold

Welcome to the nuthouse. This place has helped me in so many ways discover cigars that I love. As far as sites go, I use cigar monster alot. Some of my favorite vendors are New Havana Cigars (The owner Dan is a great guy), Atlantic Cigars, Smoke Inn, and Outlaw Cigar. Enjoy the slippery slope. It's a fun ride!
Old 05-02-2012, 07:21 AM   #17
HumanAsh
Your Friendly P&C Rep

First Name: Travis
HumanAsh will become famous soon enough

Well, of course there is only one place I think anyone should ever shop online, but we do have some cool features in place for aspiring cigar-nerds who are trying to develop their palate. For starters, we sell single sticks of everything that we carry, so you can mix and match to your heart's content, like the biggest B&M ever is sitting right on your laptop.

Additionally we have a Build Your Own Sampler item where you can make your own custom 7-pack sampler. I picked out 60 or so different cigars to be options, and you can pick any 7 for $34.95. They're all in the mid-level premium range, or ones that go for $7-9 individually on the site. http://www.pipesandcigars.com/mayoownsaro.html

With the plug for the company I work for out of the way, I'll just echo what everyone else said about finding what you like - try everything! Do some reading, and give a try to what you think sounds good. Don't get yourself tied down early to one or two brands with a big buy, start with variety and then narrow it down. Samplers are good too, but be careful and make sure you're getting a good one. If you're spending say $40 on a 10 or 12 cigar sampler, but you could spend, say $50 or $55 to pick out 10 or 12 cigars that you REALLY want to try as singles, it'll probably be worth the extra dough in the long run to be sampling exactly what you're most interested in, and hopefully find what you want to buy in bulk for savings faster.

Another suggestion I'd make is to find a frequent online reviewer who you can identify with. Once you've smoked a few cigars that you really enjoyed, look for reviews on those smokes. If you find one that seems to agree with your impression of said cigar, keep following his/her reviews of stuff you haven't tried. Next time s/he falls head-over-heels for a cigar, chances are you'll enjoy it as well.
Old 05-02-2012, 10:02 AM   #18
tsolomon
Have My Own Room

First Name: Tom
Trading: (31)
VR
tsolomon has a spectacular aura abouttsolomon has a spectacular aura abouttsolomon has a spectacular aura about

Read the reviews and stop by a local B&M and pick up a couple of cigars to try. It really is a matter of personal preference and you need to figure out what you like. Once you have that down you can move on to looking at cigar internet sites and buying online. Based on my own experience, buy 1-2 of anything you have never had to see if you like them and then get a fiver of the ones you like. I would avoid buying boxes until you really know what you like as your tastes will change. People have already mentioned some good places, New Havana and Smoke Inn are great to deal with. I always call Atlantic because their prices can be cheaper over the phone than the posted prices on their website.
tsolomon is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-02-2012, 11:16 AM   #19
irratebass
EMPEROR TOMPKINS

First Name: Mickey
Trading: (48)
ERdM
irratebass is a splendid one to beholdirratebass is a splendid one to beholdirratebass is a splendid one to beholdirratebass is a splendid one to beholdirratebass is a splendid one to beholdirratebass is a splendid one to behold

Quote:
Additionally we have a Build Your Own Sampler item where you can make your own custom 7-pack sampler. I picked out 60 or so different cigars to be options, and you can pick any 7 for $34.95. They're all in the mid-level premium range, or ones that go for $7-9 individually on the site. http://www.pipesandcigars.com/mayoownsaro.html
Thanks for reminding me about this feature.

All sound advice from everyone, now get to it.
Old 05-02-2012, 12:43 PM   #20
Silound
ex-CS Swamp Gorilla

Trading: (15)
Bolivar
Silound will become famous soon enough

I avoid the bidding, daily deals, and fire sales now like a plague. Too many people, too much temptation to spend money I don't have. Truth be told, I don't smoke as much as I did 4 years ago, so I don't buy much, I just smoke my stash in an attempt to reduce it.

When I do buy, I know the MSRP, the local cigar taxes, approximately what % of MSRP the major online dealers are selling cigars for, and what I'll pay for a cigar. Mostly, I shop locally to support the local B&M, and if I can't find it there and they can't order it, I'll go online if I want it bad enough (very rarely does this happen).

I guess I've lost that "deal-hunting" attitude as I get older. I'm less concerned about paying 10-30 more for a box of cigars when I hardly buy a fraction of what I used to.