Cigar Asylum Cigar Forum  

Go Back   Cigar Asylum Cigar Forum > Non Cigar Specialty Forums > Pipe Forum > Discussion

Old 12-13-2016, 05:27 PM   #1261
RevSmoke
Ain't Never Gonna Leave

First Name: Todd
Trading: (51)
HUpmann
RevSmoke has a brilliant futureRevSmoke has a brilliant futureRevSmoke has a brilliant futureRevSmoke has a brilliant futureRevSmoke has a brilliant futureRevSmoke has a brilliant futureRevSmoke has a brilliant futureRevSmoke has a brilliant futureRevSmoke has a brilliant futureRevSmoke has a brilliant futureRevSmoke has a brilliant future
Default Re: Latest Pipe-Related Purchase Thread

I have gone through a couple tins of the news stuff, seems to be decent. I am sure I smoked the Murray's blend in the past, I mean I've been smoking the stuff for 30 years, and this is similar enough that I truly didn't know there was a difference.
Old 12-13-2016, 05:48 PM   #1262
MarkinAZ
Formerly MarkinOR

First Name: Mark
Trading: (40)
Navy (Served With Honor)
MarkinAZ is a splendid one to beholdMarkinAZ is a splendid one to beholdMarkinAZ is a splendid one to beholdMarkinAZ is a splendid one to beholdMarkinAZ is a splendid one to beholdMarkinAZ is a splendid one to beholdMarkinAZ is a splendid one to behold

Quote:
Originally Posted by RevSmoke View Post
I mean I've been smoking the stuff for 30 years, and this is similar enough that I truly didn't know there was a difference.
...and there you go
Old 12-15-2016, 10:07 PM   #1263
MarkinAZ
Formerly MarkinOR

Navy (Served With Honor)
MarkinAZ is a splendid one to beholdMarkinAZ is a splendid one to beholdMarkinAZ is a splendid one to beholdMarkinAZ is a splendid one to beholdMarkinAZ is a splendid one to beholdMarkinAZ is a splendid one to beholdMarkinAZ is a splendid one to behold

Earlier this year (2016), a Rusticated Bent Brandy was being offered for sale on another site, and after it was passed-up on several posts, I decided to step-in and grab it:

I've enjoyed the Brandy so much so, that in September 2016, I thought it would be great to have a companion pipe for the Brandy (as it gets lonely), and asked piper Todd Harris if he would be so kind as to consider doing a rusticated bent Poker that would be somewhat similar to the Brandy. Todd said yes, and we corresponded back and forth, throwing diagrams and thoughts at each other, and immediately came to a meeting of the minds. Here's the finished Poker:

I love the rustication work, and his workmanship performed on his pipes. The Poker is 5 1/2 " in length and bowl height is 2 3/16". The Brandy is 5 1/2" in length and bowl height is 1 3/4". Both pipes have great draws and hold plenty of my favorite tobacco's. Here's both side by side:

If you've not tried a Todd Harris pipe, you may want to check-out his web page here:http://taharris.wixsite.com/turningsbytodd

Old 12-16-2016, 05:01 AM   #1264
nutcracker
Shameless epicurian

First Name: Neil
Trading: (26)
Partagas
nutcracker is just really nicenutcracker is just really nicenutcracker is just really nicenutcracker is just really nicenutcracker is just really nice

Those are gorgeous pipes. The cherrywood is very nicely proportioned.
Old 12-16-2016, 07:50 AM   #1265
RevSmoke
Ain't Never Gonna Leave

HUpmann
RevSmoke has a brilliant futureRevSmoke has a brilliant futureRevSmoke has a brilliant futureRevSmoke has a brilliant futureRevSmoke has a brilliant futureRevSmoke has a brilliant futureRevSmoke has a brilliant futureRevSmoke has a brilliant futureRevSmoke has a brilliant futureRevSmoke has a brilliant futureRevSmoke has a brilliant future

Nice looking pipes.
Old 12-16-2016, 09:09 AM   #1266
MarkinAZ
Formerly MarkinOR

Navy (Served With Honor)

Quote:
Originally Posted by nutcracker View Post
Those are gorgeous pipes. The cherrywood is very nicely proportioned.
Quote:
Nice looking pipes.
Thanks guys! Algerian briar on both pipes. Not sure regarding the stain used...
Old 12-16-2016, 06:07 PM   #1267
Subvet642
Bilge Rat

First Name: Darren
Trading: (13)
LFdC Navy (Served With Honor)
Subvet642 is a name known to allSubvet642 is a name known to allSubvet642 is a name known to allSubvet642 is a name known to allSubvet642 is a name known to allSubvet642 is a name known to all

You have excellent taste, Mark; they're beautiful!

Quote:
Originally Posted by MarkinCA View Post
Earlier this year (2016), a Rusticated Bent Brandy was being offered for sale on another site, and after it was passed-up on several posts, I decided to step-in and grab it:

I've enjoyed the Brandy so much so, that in September 2016, I thought it would be great to have a companion pipe for the Brandy (as it gets lonely), and asked piper Todd Harris if he would be so kind as to consider doing a rusticated bent Poker that would be somewhat similar to the Brandy. Todd said yes, and we corresponded back and forth, throwing diagrams and thoughts at each other, and immediately came to a meeting of the minds. Here's the finished Poker:

I love the rustication work, and his workmanship performed on his pipes. The Poker is 5 1/2 " in length and bowl height is 2 3/16". The Brandy is 5 1/2" in length and bowl height is 1 3/4". Both pipes have great draws and hold plenty of my favorite tobacco's. Here's both side by side:

If you've not tried a Todd Harris pipe, you may want to check-out his web page here:http://taharris.wixsite.com/turningsbytodd

Old 12-18-2016, 09:09 AM   #1268
cthulnado
Still Watching My Back

First Name: Joe
Trading: (4)
Cohiba Navy (Served With Honor)
cthulnado will become famous soon enough

We are heading down to my parents for the Christmas holiday, so I decided to buy myself a little travel pack:

2 pipe bag.

2oz Stokkebye English Luxury

MM Mark Twain Straight

MM Little Devil Acorn.

I say that'll do me for a week!
cthulnado is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-18-2016, 10:42 AM   #1269
mhailey
Splitter of Hairs

First Name: Matt
Trading: (21)
mhailey has a spectacular aura aboutmhailey has a spectacular aura aboutmhailey has a spectacular aura about

Stopped by Tewksbury on Monday and picked up 2oz of Hobbits Weed. Sorry to see this local blend die. The shop closed on Friday.
Old 12-18-2016, 11:26 AM   #1270
hammondc
Moar Padrons!

First Name: Chip
Trading: (17)
Partagas
hammondc has a spectacular aura abouthammondc has a spectacular aura abouthammondc has a spectacular aura about

Quote:
Originally Posted by mhailey View Post
Stopped by Tewksbury on Monday and picked up 2oz of Hobbits Weed. Sorry to see this local blend die. The shop closed on Friday.
Yeah...hopefully someone will pick up the blend. It is really the only cherry blend I've ever liked.
hammondc is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-21-2016, 06:07 PM   #1271
nutcracker
Shameless epicurian

Partagas
nutcracker is just really nicenutcracker is just really nicenutcracker is just really nicenutcracker is just really nicenutcracker is just really nice

Some "yuletide" - don't trust the Peretti "paint tins" so decanted into mason jars. Smells rather good....
Old 12-27-2016, 11:23 AM   #1272
Zeavran1
Still Watching My Back

First Name: Rich
Trading: (0)
Zeavran1 is on a distinguished road

Got these a couple of weeks ago. Really wanted the calendar.
Zeavran1 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-27-2016, 11:31 AM   #1273
Zeavran1
Still Watching My Back

First Name: Rich
Trading: (0)
Zeavran1 is on a distinguished road

Forgot these. The bottom one's bowl has been sanded.
Zeavran1 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-04-2017, 07:26 PM   #1274
nutcracker
Shameless epicurian

Partagas

It smells incredible - dried fig and citrus.
Old 01-05-2017, 09:17 AM   #1275
RevSmoke
Ain't Never Gonna Leave

HUpmann

Quote:

It smells incredible - dried fig and citrus.
Have you tried it? Virginias & Perique sound good, but then they added Rum... So, I am very skeptical!
Old 01-05-2017, 02:17 PM   #1276
nutcracker
Shameless epicurian

Partagas

Quote:
Have you tried it? Virginias & Perique sound good, but then they added Rum... So, I am very skeptical!
Not yet Rev, but they smell amazing. (They literally had my mouth watering) By all accounts one can't taste the rum. I will slice off a bit this weekend to try.

They are little bricks and remind me of the fire-starters they used to give us in the military. Might need a band saw.....
Old 01-05-2017, 04:37 PM   #1277
RevSmoke
Ain't Never Gonna Leave

HUpmann

Quote:
Not yet Rev, but they smell amazing. (They literally had my mouth watering) By all accounts one can't taste the rum. I will slice off a bit this weekend to try.

They are little bricks and remind me of the fire-starters they used to give us in the military. Might need a band saw.....
Have done different "plugs" from G&H, Samuel Gawith. Usually pretty strong, and needs a good sharp knife.

My uncle used to chew plug tobacco, and when he was done, he'd leave it sit on a fence post. A couple days later he'd check it out, and if dry enough stick it in his cob to smoke. He used to do Redman and Levi Garrett. It was too moist and too sweet to smoke right off, but after a morning or afternoon of vigorous chewing, he said, "It mellows out nice. And if it don't rain, it smokes pretty good after a couple days of sun drying."

I have always wanted to try that, but I just couldn't get past how sweet it was in the mouth. Used to chew my share of Redman, but never got the courage to put it in my pipe and smoke it.

Let me know what you think.

Peace of the Lord be with you.
Old 01-06-2017, 06:56 AM   #1278
CoffeeWaterBeer
Critiquing Perique

First Name: Seth
Trading: (13)
Partagas
CoffeeWaterBeer will become famous soon enough

great starting choices indeed! Please let us know if you have questions or want tips. If asked nicely we may even sing a song about perique.
CoffeeWaterBeer is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-06-2017, 12:37 PM   #1279
RevSmoke
Ain't Never Gonna Leave

HUpmann

Quote:
Originally Posted by hammondc View Post
Yeah...hopefully someone will pick up the blend. It is really the only cherry blend I've ever liked.
Picked up some G&H Cherry Cream Flake a couple weeks ago. And, as anybody here could probably tell you, I am not a fan of aromatics.

With that said, this is wonderful stuff. G&H does Virginias well, and this is a stellar example. Americans use a heavy hand in applying flavored goop (except for Cornell & Diehl) to make their aromatics, but G&H did this wonderfully. There is a hint of cherry and/or cream when nosing the pouch, ephemeral hints of them on the palate (mostly in the finish), and enough in the room note that non-smokers will be tantalized and not offended. (OK, the smoke nazis will be offended, but hey, that is their problem.)

Peace of the Lord be with you.
Old 01-14-2017, 03:07 PM   #1280
nutcracker
Shameless epicurian

Partagas

So I picked up a new radiator from Hekthor. Added a funky custom Nutcracker bowl, and we are ready to dim he lights and turn on the lava lamp!

Hekthor has a new stem - I do like it.

Check out his site:
http://www.hwiebe.com