Cigar Asylum Cigar Forum  

Go Back   Cigar Asylum Cigar Forum > Non Cigar Specialty Forums > Pipe Forum > Discussion

Old 10-22-2008, 02:39 PM   #1
petewho

Default newb first pipe purchase

I was going into the shop just for some butane, maybe a cigar or two. I swore I'd take my time and wait, no rushing into the pipe business. But nooooo, I could not resist.

I now possess my first pipe ever - a Savinelli natural. It's a billiard shape, tapered, has a very slight bend to it.

Ugh, I've gone and done it now!
Old 10-22-2008, 02:47 PM   #2
DrDubzz
Formerly RX2010

First Name: Tim
Trading: (34)
Bolivar AirForce (Active)
DrDubzz has a spectacular aura aboutDrDubzz has a spectacular aura about
Default Re: newb first pipe purchase

resistance is futile!

congrats on the new pipe, now you need to break that sucker in and build up some cake
DrDubzz is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-22-2008, 02:50 PM   #3
TheTraveler
giggity giggitty

First Name: Jonathan
Trading: (12)
MarineCorps (Served With Honor)
TheTraveler has a spectacular aura aboutTheTraveler has a spectacular aura about

Congrats on the purchase! Man I love this slope - lots of company on the way down.
TheTraveler is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-22-2008, 04:43 PM   #4
mugwump
Still Watching My Back

First Name: Mike
Trading: (0)
RyJ Navy (Served With Honor)
mugwump is on a distinguished road

That is one sweet pipe to start off with. My Sav Natural is far and away my favorite pipe. Smoke a few bowls and the heat coupled with the oils on your hands will darken it up to a medium brown in no time.
Old 10-22-2008, 07:49 PM   #5
xapa97

Congrats on the new pipe! Sounds like you choose a good one to start your trip down the slope!
Old 10-22-2008, 09:04 PM   #6
Pipe&Cigar

Congrats on the purchase, Sav was my second pipe purchase and still one of my favs!
Old 10-23-2008, 05:32 AM   #7
Dgar

Nice pick up, enjoy your new pipe..... so what you planning on smoking in it...
I'm still fighting the urge to pick up my first pipe since geting back at the pipes.

And by the way this type of post with out pics is just mean

I've seen a few of the natural finish pipes, very nice, I bet It'll be cool to watch it color over time, sort of like a Meer , as it changes color it will be unique to you... enjoy.
Old 10-23-2008, 08:35 AM   #8
robertw1249

nice pick up i like sav until i got my first boswell now i have 18 boswells that i smoke from with boswell you can get a big pipe for a cheap
Old 10-23-2008, 10:23 AM   #9
physiognomy
Feeling at Home

Trading: (18)
ERdM
physiognomy will become famous soon enough

Great choice of pipe... I picked one up at Iwan Ries in May & have enjoyed each & every bowl.
physiognomy is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-23-2008, 11:18 AM   #10
petewho

I fired it up last night.

Setting: Burnt my mouth on hot lasagna two hours prior, had one cold beer to try and fix that. Drove over to a cigar-smokin' buddies' house. Said friend tried a pipe about 15 years ago and burnt the heck out of his tongue, then retired it after 4 bowls. Earlier in the day he ran out and bought a new briar and pouch of Danish cavendish to match my new purchase.

Pre-light: Walking to the back door of his house with the pipe in my teeth for the first time ever, I DROPPED MY @#$%ING PIPE!!! Yes, I am rookie, I dropped my pipe. Now I'm over the it's-something-new-I-need-to-handle-it-with-the-kid-gloves stage. Time to load & light.

Let's go: I've been reading A LOT about the pipe ahead of time. Loaded about 1/3 bowl for it's christening and didn't over-tamp. Lighting my pipe with a Bic soft-flame vaguely reminded me of something I did once in highschool, but once we got over the giggles it was back to business. Got it lit, puff puff, flattened the ashes once with the tamper, lit again, and it was going ok. Producing smoke? Check. Flavor? Not much. Smell? Like a pipe shop!

Smoking the pipe: I was really timid about getting it burning good for fear of burning my tongue. The guy I was hanging out with made it sound like I was guarenteed a tongue-burn and kept asking me, "how's your tongue?". The couple times I did get a little more agressive with the flame, the pipe rewarded me with a good volume of smoke, nice flavor, a warm hand, and no tongue-bite. I finally switched to wooden matches and that made it MUCH easier to light. After switching to the match I had to relight only once. I followed the perscribed rules for a new pipe and smoked it all the way down.

Note to fellow noobs: When approaching the bottom of the bowl, DO NOT take your pipe tool, stir around the contents, tamp down and relight! You'll get a mouthfull of ash! My second rookie manuver of the night! (cue laughter)

Second bowl: Since we had two different tobaccos and I only smoked 1/3 bowl, I decided to have another go. I emptied the ash (from both the bowl and my mouth) and loaded about 1/4 with the other tobacco. This time I lit it right from the start, kept tamping to the minimum, and it went well. About halfway through that I thought the draw was too loose and started tamping a little firmer - this worked. I had been under-tamping! Two times I felt the smoke heating up but didn't get a tongue-bite. I could feel the heat as the smoke came up to the mouthpiece and feel it at my lips and quickly stop my draw before getting the bite.

Post-pipe: Yeah, don't have a cigar after the pipe. Not worth it...

Today: I THOUGHT I never burnt my tongue, but today I can't taste my coffee, and I feel like I have a little sandpaper on my tongue. I guess I did something wrong. Maybe it was the lasagna burn.

Verdict: Good experience! Gotta get a different tobacco. The golden cavendish and Danish were both nice, a little flavor, a little smell. But I want to go one-way-or-the-other. Either a tobacco that's all flavor and more like a cigar, or one that's straight dessert (apple, vanilla, coffee, chocolate, whatever).

Note to self: Thow dirty pipe cleaners away, FAR AWAY, as they are one of the stinkiest things in the known universe.

And that's my story.
Old 10-23-2008, 11:25 AM   #11
petewho

Quote:
Originally Posted by Dgar View Post
And by the way this type of post with out pics is just mean
My mistake! Apologies!

Old 10-23-2008, 11:32 AM   #12
robertw1249

thats a nice pipe and for the tounge burn for me the aromatics burn the hell out of my tounge when i smoke them but non aromatics dont burn my tounge as bad do you smoke non aromatics
Old 10-23-2008, 02:10 PM   #13
physiognomy
Feeling at Home

Trading: (18)
ERdM
physiognomy will become famous soon enough

Thanks for sharing your experience! For me, the key to avoiding tongue burn is drying out my tobacco before smoking. Most of my 'ready to smoke' tins/jars are nearly dry, but still short of crunchy & brittle.
physiognomy is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-23-2008, 03:34 PM   #14
Dgar

Quote:
Originally Posted by petewho View Post
My mistake! Apologies!
Much better

Cool pipe.. enjoy.
Old 10-23-2008, 04:03 PM   #15
petewho

The slope just got steeper. Check the Bombs forum! Hydrated hooked me up with four tobaccos AND a new cob!

I was JUST thinking "crap, I'm gonna need a second pipe real soon"... And all I had to do was check my mailbox!

What a great week I'm having!

Thanks Hydrated!!!
Old 10-23-2008, 10:17 PM   #16
Hydrated

No problemo, Bro... It's the least I can do!

Enjoy that stuff...