Cigar Asylum Cigar Forum  

Go Back   Cigar Asylum Cigar Forum > Non Cigar Specialty Forums > Pipe Forum > Discussion

Old 01-28-2014, 09:57 PM   #941
Col. Kurtz
Have My Own Room

First Name: Jerry
Trading: (26)
RA
Col. Kurtz has a spectacular aura aboutCol. Kurtz has a spectacular aura aboutCol. Kurtz has a spectacular aura about
Default Re: New Pipe Smoker With A Question? Ask an Old Fart

I'm roughly a month into pipe smoking and really digging it so far. I thank all you old farts for the kind advice.

I have quite a few open tins that I have sampled.

C&D Crosseyed cricket
Dunhill Flake
Dunhill Elizabethan Mixture
Squadron Leader
Three Nuns (current)
Escudo
Home and Hearth Burley Kake

Here are my takes and ranking so far:

7. Crosseyed Cricket - Aromatic- Sweet and smokey. Tough to get my arms around this one. Had quite a few bowls to start, but haven't found my way back recently... Not bad, just different.

6. H&H Burley Kake - mild aromatic - Not as smokey as sweet. I can see the nutty characteristics associated with burley here. Nice room note for the non-smoker. Very cool smoking and easy. Nice and relaxing, but lacking in flavors and engagement for me.

5. Dunhill Flake - Straight Virginia - I call this the champagne of pipe tobacco. Not strong, not spicy. I've folded and stuffed: I've cube cut and rubbed it out. A full bowl lasts two hours. I'm tired of this one half way through. Light, and savory. I don't get the sweet out of this that others do. Not bad, but not very engaging. I think I may rub this out with some burley kake to see what happens...

4. Squadron Leader - English/oriental Mixture - moderate strength, mild to moderate smokey flavors. The tin note is more smokey and scotch-ey than the smoke. Very nice tobacco. Perhaps not my cup-o-tea. Love the icky sticky consistency of this one out of the tin. Very appealing!! Not giving up on this one by any means, just more wild about the next three right now.

3. Escudo - VAPER - Very nice coin cut tobacco. One coin quitar pick folded into my small Kaywoodie is perfect. One hour of bliss. Slow smoking and cool. I find myself tamping the edges into the fire. I've not had as much luck rubbing it out. I figure it's coin cut for a reason. Not spicy or confrontational at all. Very smooth and strong in a backhanded kind of way. I can see many layers in this smoke. It seems to hit it's stride right before it clogs up my stinger with dottle.

2. Elizabethan Mixture - VAPER - this was tops in my book for a while. Spicy, smooth, sweet, and thick smoke. What more can be said about this one? I could be a very happy man smoking nothing but this. I love it.

1. Three Nuns - Virginia, Kentucky - Curly cut - spun There seems to be some controversy surrounding this one. I never had the pleasure of smoking the VAPER blend, so I can't compare the two. The original must have been bliss if this is a mere shadow as some allege. This is perfect in my opinion. The tin smells like sweet horse feed. Heavy molasses scents and flavors. Smokes cool with no bite. I was worried since this is a Mac Baren blend and others are concerned with the McB bite. The small coins stack and fold nicely in my pipes. I seem to tamp and push this one together quite a bit, but the sweet; humid, cool smoke is it's own reward. I don't have to tamp and relight as much as Dunhill flake, but it's almost as annoying. The flavors on re-lighting are superb. Thick; smooth, tongue coating, nutty sweetness. Bliss.

Again, thanks for the pushes in the right direction. I can't wait to try more blends.

Next on my list is Hal O the Wynd, or Dunbar if I can find it locally.

Cheers!
Old 01-29-2014, 05:43 AM   #942
RevSmoke
Ain't Never Gonna Leave

First Name: Todd
Trading: (51)
HUpmann
RevSmoke has a brilliant futureRevSmoke has a brilliant futureRevSmoke has a brilliant futureRevSmoke has a brilliant futureRevSmoke has a brilliant futureRevSmoke has a brilliant futureRevSmoke has a brilliant futureRevSmoke has a brilliant futureRevSmoke has a brilliant futureRevSmoke has a brilliant futureRevSmoke has a brilliant future

Quote:
Originally Posted by Col. Kurtz View Post

3. Escudo - VAPER - Very nice coin cut tobacco. One coin quitar pick folded into my small Kaywoodie is perfect. One hour of bliss. Slow smoking and cool. I find myself tamping the edges into the fire. I've not had as much luck rubbing it out. I figure it's coin cut for a reason. Not spicy or confrontational at all. Very smooth and strong in a backhanded kind of way. I can see many layers in this smoke. It seems to hit it's stride right before it clogs up my stinger with dottle.

2. Elizabethan Mixture - VAPER - this was tops in my book for a while. Spicy, smooth, sweet, and thick smoke. What more can be said about this one? I could be a very happy man smoking nothing but this. I love it.

1. Three Nuns - Virginia, Kentucky - Curly cut - spun There seems to be some controversy surrounding this one. I never had the pleasure of smoking the VAPER blend, so I can't compare the two. The original must have been bliss if this is a mere shadow as some allege. This is perfect in my opinion. The tin smells like sweet horse feed. Heavy molasses scents and flavors. Smokes cool with no bite. I was worried since this is a Mac Baren blend and others are concerned with the McB bite. The small coins stack and fold nicely in my pipes. I seem to tamp and push this one together quite a bit, but the sweet; humid, cool smoke is it's own reward. I don't have to tamp and relight as much as Dunhill flake, but it's almost as annoying. The flavors on re-lighting are superb. Thick; smooth, tongue coating, nutty sweetness. Bliss.

Again, thanks for the pushes in the right direction. I can't wait to try more blends.

Next on my list is Hal O the Wynd, or Dunbar if I can find it locally.

Cheers!
So, I am assuming the Thee Nuns is the new edition? I'd gladly trade you a for few bowls of Three Nuns - I will send you a couple of Hal 'O the Wynd? If you are interested, give me a PM.

Peace of the Lord be with you.

Todd
Old 01-29-2014, 06:18 AM   #943
CoffeeWaterBeer
Critiquing Perique

First Name: Seth
Trading: (13)
Partagas
CoffeeWaterBeer will become famous soon enough

Quote:
The original must have been bliss if this is a mere shadow as some allege.
Same here. It's tough to hear the stories of tobaccos past and how the current homage to the blend "just isn't the same". If anything, it's pushed me towards stocking more than I need for cellaring.
CoffeeWaterBeer is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-29-2014, 06:19 AM   #944
Col. Kurtz
Have My Own Room

First Name: Jerry
RA
Col. Kurtz has a spectacular aura aboutCol. Kurtz has a spectacular aura aboutCol. Kurtz has a spectacular aura about

Quote:
Originally Posted by RevSmoke View Post
So, I am assuming the Thee Nuns is the new edition? I'd gladly trade you a for few bowls of Three Nuns - I will send you a couple of Hal 'O the Wynd? If you are interested, give me a PM.

Todd

Indeed it is. PM incoming
Old 01-29-2014, 10:48 AM   #945
RevSmoke
Ain't Never Gonna Leave

HUpmann
RevSmoke has a brilliant futureRevSmoke has a brilliant futureRevSmoke has a brilliant futureRevSmoke has a brilliant futureRevSmoke has a brilliant futureRevSmoke has a brilliant futureRevSmoke has a brilliant futureRevSmoke has a brilliant futureRevSmoke has a brilliant futureRevSmoke has a brilliant futureRevSmoke has a brilliant future

Quote:
Originally Posted by CoffeeWaterBeer View Post
Same here. It's tough to hear the stories of tobaccos past and how the current homage to the blend "just isn't the same". If anything, it's pushed me towards stocking more than I need for cellaring.
Three Nuns was very good, but it wasn't something that really "WOW"ed me personally. Do not get me wrong, I liked it, but some thought it was better. It never lived up to the hype (in my estimation). So, does the new stuff by MacBaren NOT have Perique in it? Hmmm, is that really Three Nuns then? I thought this was a recreation of the old recipe? If it is, how can you do that by removing a key ingredient? Granted, there was not as much Perique in it as I would have liked.

I would still love to try it, just to see how it compares to the old stuff. It does scare me that MacBaren is blending it though, for everything MacBaren does bites me like a rabid dog.

Yes, if you find something you really like, put some away. If nothing else, even if it stays in production till forever, aged tobaccos usually are even better.

By the way, sometimes memories are better than the reality ever was.

Old 01-30-2014, 02:13 PM   #946
Zanaspus
Adjusting to the Life

First Name: Tony
Trading: (3)
Zanaspus will become famous soon enough

Quote:
Originally Posted by CoffeeWaterBeer View Post
IMHO, "The good old days" were always better. We see the past through rose colored glasses. Are some good blends gone? Sure. But there are more great blenders/blends about today than there have ever been in the past. If you find something you can't live without, buy big. Otherwise, there's always another 50 great blends to try.
Old 01-31-2014, 07:39 AM   #947
RevSmoke
Ain't Never Gonna Leave

HUpmann

Quote:
I'm roughly a month into pipe smoking and really digging it so far. I thank all you old farts for the kind advice.

Old farts? Seriously? You want to call me an old fart? Fart? Yes! Old? I refuse to go into that dark night.

7. Crosseyed Cricket - Aromatic- Sweet and smokey. Tough to get my arms around this one. Had quite a few bowls to start, but haven't found my way back recently... Not bad, just different.

Good assessment. I haven't had any in ages, but it reminded me of Lakakia and Fruit Loops.

5. Dunhill Flake - Straight Virginia - I call this the champagne of pipe tobacco. Not strong, not spicy. I've folded and stuffed: I've cube cut and rubbed it out. A full bowl lasts two hours. I'm tired of this one half way through. Light, and savory. I don't get the sweet out of this that others do. Not bad, but not very engaging. I think I may rub this out with some burley kake to see what happens...

Please, oh please, do not pollute this wonderful VA with any crappy Burley. (OK, my personal taste is that there is nothing redeeming about burley, so I see no reason for it.) But that parenthetical statement and your finding sweetness in the burley proves a point - everybody's palate is different. Of course, it might also have to do with the pipes you are using (has something been smoked in it previously that has ghosted it), and the rate at which you smoke, or what might be distracting you while smoking it. I find Dunhill Flake wonderfully sweet - but it smokes sweeter when it is a bit dried out.

4. Squadron Leader - English/oriental Mixture - moderate strength, mild to moderate smokey flavors. The tin note is more smokey and scotch-ey than the smoke. Very nice tobacco. Perhaps not my cup-o-tea. Love the icky sticky consistency of this one out of the tin. Very appealing!! Not giving up on this one by any means, just more wild about the next three right now.

Icky, sticky is not a good way for tobacco to be in order for it to smoke well. Most tobaccos are sent out overly moist so that they do not dry out to fast. However, smokability comes with some drying time. When you pinch a clump of tobacco it should not stick together, but neither should it turn to dust, but it should feel more on the drier side when it is time to smoke. (at least, that is what I have personally found to be true)

The coin cut can be smoked that way, but ropes are made so that the constituent tobaccos can meld, and then it is cut into coins so that you don't have to. They are left as coins cause it look cool. it can be folded and smoked, I like it that way. Rubbed out however, I (PERSONALLY) have found that the flavors open up a bit. Rubbing it also allows it to dry more evenly and "hits it's stride" a bit sooner.

Looking forward to trying this. I remember this with Perique, and then the next version without. WOW, talk about a perversion - it was like mammoric glands on a male bovine. I took some of the second version and added some Perique and let it sit. I think I got the ratios wrong, but it was an improvement. I am looking forward to trying this, and if necessary, I still have some more Perique left.
Jerry, it is good to see someone trying new things. Do not let yourself be corrupted by thinking, "I need to like it because Joe Pipester says it is marvelous." I have a buddy who smokes only Carter Hall. I cannot stand it, but he loves it - so be it.

But, try a bunch of things to find what you like.

I still try things, but I have found a few blends that are my staples. I do not see spending money on tobaccos that I think are nice but don't get into the rotation.

Todd
Old 01-31-2014, 07:47 AM   #948
RevSmoke
Ain't Never Gonna Leave

HUpmann

Quote:
Yes, if you find something you really like, put some away. If nothing else, even if it stays in production till forever, aged tobaccos usually are even better.

By the way, sometimes memories are better than the reality ever was.
Quote:
Originally Posted by Zanaspus View Post
IMHO, "The good old days" were always better. We see the past through rose colored glasses. Are some good blends gone? Sure. But there are more great blenders/blends about today than there have ever been in the past. If you find something you can't live without, buy big. Otherwise, there's always another 50 great blends to try.
I think we are echoes of one another.

I miss Syrian Latakia in blends. Cyprian is nice, but different. Some blends have changed just by that simple omission. So, while some is rose colored glasses, some is not.

I also agree that we have access to more stuff than before. But while there are more blends and blenders, I also believe there is also more schlock out there as well.

I do not smoke as often as I used to, so when I do smoke something it has to be something I really like. If it isn't, I get upset that I wasted my one smoke for a few days on a mediocre tobacco - that sucks. So, while I still like to try stuff, I have found a bunch of stuff that really satisfies me, so that is what I stock up on to keep on hand.
Old 02-09-2014, 09:08 PM   #949
mahtofire14
Chillin in the Aging Room

First Name: Pete
Trading: (16)
Bolivar
mahtofire14 is a jewel in the roughmahtofire14 is a jewel in the roughmahtofire14 is a jewel in the rough

Ever since I joined this site I have been sneaking around in this section trying to pick up a few beginner tips and trying to convince myself to give pipes another try. I used to think smoking a pipe was just filling a pipe with tobacco and lighting it. However after reading this thread for awhile that's obviously why I became quickly frustrated with pipe smoking.

Anyway, I have one question for the experts. When packing flake, do you still tamp it down like you would with regular tobacco? I've never smoked flake and am curious about it. Thanks in advance.
Old 02-09-2014, 09:11 PM   #950
RevSmoke
Ain't Never Gonna Leave

HUpmann

Quote:
Originally Posted by mahtofire14 View Post
Ever since I joined this site I have been sneaking around in this section trying to pick up a few beginner tips and trying to convince myself to give pipes another try. I used to think smoking a pipe was just filling a pipe with tobacco and lighting it. However after reading this thread for awhile that's obviously why I became quickly frustrated with pipe smoking.

Anyway, I have one question for the experts. When packing flake, do you still tamp it down like you would with regular tobacco? I've never smoked flake and am curious about it. Thanks in advance.
Once lit, yes, you will tamp.
Old 02-09-2014, 10:10 PM   #951
Robulous78

Hey Old Fart's, (said endearingly)

Tried some Hearth & Home Meat Candy Maple & Bacon and fell in love, Went ahead and ordered a few more oz's...

I still really have little idea about pipe tobaccos, but this one caught my fancy, any more you can recommend similar to this?

Thanks,

Rob
Old 02-09-2014, 10:41 PM   #952
mahtofire14

Bolivar
mahtofire14 is a jewel in the roughmahtofire14 is a jewel in the roughmahtofire14 is a jewel in the rough

Quote:
Once lit, yes, you will tamp.
The reason I ask is while reading up on packing pipes the majority have suggested lightly tamping the tobacco when you fill the bowl once, tamping it so it is half full, filling it to the top again, then tamping again. Is this considered the "correct" way? I will go back and read the thread in here about it as well. Rev, I was referring the this step in regards to packing with flake. Thanks for the help, by the way.
Old 02-09-2014, 10:59 PM   #953
Robulous78

Quote:
The reason I ask is while reading up on packing pipes the majority have suggested lightly tamping the tobacco when you fill the bowl once, tamping it so it is half full, filling it to the top again, then tamping again. Is this considered the "correct" way? I will go back and read the thread in here about it as well. Rev, I was referring the this step in regards to packing with flake. Thanks for the help, by the way.
Most will say something of the "Frank Pack" method.

I have heard the above referred to as the 3 handshakes method. It is what I use with mostly success...

Fill and pack down lightly, as if shaking a baby's hand.

Fill again and pack down, with a bit more pressure, as if shaking a woman's hand.

Fill again and pack down firmly, as if shaking a mans hand...

IDK if its the best way but its an easy one to remember...
Old 02-09-2014, 11:37 PM   #954
mahtofire14

Bolivar

Quote:
Originally Posted by Robulous78 View Post
Most will say something of the "Frank Pack" method.

I have heard the above referred to as the 3 handshakes method. It is what I use with mostly success...

Fill and pack down lightly, as if shaking a baby's hand.

Fill again and pack down, with a bit more pressure, as if shaking a woman's hand.

Fill again and pack down firmly, as if shaking a mans hand...

IDK if its the best way but its an easy one to remember...
Thanks Rob, I'm planning on heading to a local shop with a nice selection of tobacco and picking up a few of the basic blends. Hopefully I'll have the time!
Old 02-10-2014, 06:49 AM   #955
RevSmoke
Ain't Never Gonna Leave

HUpmann

Quote:
If you rub the flake out (what I do 95% of the time), you will have basically normal tobacco, so do it that way. If you fill with rolled up flake, I usually dribble some rubbed flake on the top to get an even burn and will lightly press that in.

Hope that helps.

I think one of the best things to do is find and experienced piper to sit with and watch, having him show you things, and then observe your technique. It lowers the learning curve drastically.

Todd
Old 02-10-2014, 11:24 AM   #956
mahtofire14

Bolivar

Thanks Todd, that's what I was looking for.
Old 02-10-2014, 01:40 PM   #957
Commander Quan
Feeling at Home

First Name: Derrick
Trading: (4)
Bolivar
Commander Quan has a spectacular aura aboutCommander Quan has a spectacular aura about

Quote:
Originally Posted by Robulous78 View Post
Hey Old Fart's, (said endearingly)

Tried some Hearth & Home Meat Candy Maple & Bacon and fell in love, Went ahead and ordered a few more oz's...

I still really have little idea about pipe tobaccos, but this one caught my fancy, any more you can recommend similar to this?

Thanks,

Rob
C&D's Autumn Evening is mapley like the VMC but not as good IMO. Just like you I've been smoking a lot of this recently too.
Commander Quan is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-10-2014, 01:53 PM   #958
Flynnster
Life's too short Swishers

Trading: (7)
Flynnster has a spectacular aura aboutFlynnster has a spectacular aura about

Not a total newb at this point, but I've come across a question.

Just got an order in and I got an ounce of McClelland's VBC, Vanilla Black Cavendish. I've noticed that it doesn't burn or light nearly as easily as any other tobacco that I've had. It doesn't seem overly moist. Does Cavendish not take a flame as well in general?
Flynnster is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-24-2014, 08:50 AM   #959
mahtofire14

Bolivar

I'm wondering what are the good "basic blends" that all new pipe smokers should try/start with to guide them in the direction of what they like. I have been watching the latest purchase thread getting ideas but I figured I'd also ask the almighty experts.

I've got two blends right now, a virginia blend from my local pipe shop that is blended by the owner, nice, but pretty sweet. I also have a tin of Nightcap which I have really enjoyed so far. If anyone has some suggestions I really appreciate it.
Old 02-24-2014, 10:43 AM   #960
DaBear
Have My Own Room

First Name: Bear
HdM
DaBear is a jewel in the roughDaBear is a jewel in the roughDaBear is a jewel in the rough

Nightcap is a good place to start for Latakias, its found pretty much everywhere and is a solid blend. The Frog Mortons are also good places to get started for that.

As for VaPers, Escudo is probably the best for just trying them to see if you like em. One of the most consistent VaPers and found dang near everywhere.

Straight Virginias are tricky. Theres so much diversity amongst them that just because you don't like one type of virginia, doesn't mean you won't like another(take myself for example: I can't stand lemon/bright VAs, have grown into orange/red VAs, and absolutely love dark stoved VAs). If theres any particular blends I'd say are good indications of what VAs have to offer I'd say McClelland's yearly Christmas Cheer(almost always a solid middle of the road choice and pretty tasty) and Dunhill Flake as the two stand out blends.

Aromatics tend to be a dime a dozen, but Lane 1-Q and BLWB/Burley Light Without a Bite are some solid choices to start on down that road that can be found easily.

Pete, if you'd like I can take you on in the Pipe NST and send you a good smac--errr, number of samples to try.
DaBear is offline   Reply With Quote