Cigar Asylum Cigar Forum  

Go Back   Cigar Asylum Cigar Forum > Non Cigar Specialty Forums > Misc > Sports

Old 11-11-2008, 05:51 PM   #121
CBI_2
Have My Own Room

First Name: Paul
Trading: (0)
CBI_2 is a jewel in the roughCBI_2 is a jewel in the roughCBI_2 is a jewel in the rough
Default Re: Official MMA Thread

Quote:
Originally Posted by chippewastud79 View Post
For what its worth, just for giggles, I would like to see Dana sign Kimblow for one fight against Lesnar and watch him get wrecked.
Would be awesome.
Old 11-11-2008, 07:35 PM   #122
BengalMan
Have My Own Room

First Name: Ian
Trading: (10)
Cohiba
BengalMan will become famous soon enoughBengalMan will become famous soon enough

Dana actually spoke out about Kimbo. He said if Kimbo wants to be in the UFC, he would have to fight his way in on The Ultimate Fighter. Dana said he would have a HW season if Kimbo decided he wanted to join the UFC. lol.
BengalMan is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-11-2008, 07:43 PM   #123
kayaker

I think Kimbo could end up being a decent fighter, especially if he keeps training with Bas. He's just a ways off from deserving the attention he's been getting.

I doubt very much he'll end up in the UFC, at least any time soon.

If he wanted to go for bigger bucks, I could almost see him going the Pro wrestling route. His internet posse would probably go in for that sort of thing.
Old 11-11-2008, 10:16 PM   #124
LordOfWu

Quote:
Originally Posted by chippewastud79 View Post
For what its worth, just for giggles, I would like to see Dana sign Kimblow for one fight against Lesnar and watch him get wrecked.
I think he could sign him for a fight w/ just about any of the UFC heavy weights and Kimbo would get wrecked! And it would be short! I'd like to see Arlovski back in UFC after a couple of wins.
Old 11-13-2008, 11:42 AM   #125
kayaker

Wow. Would YOU like to party with Gina Carano?
Old 11-13-2008, 01:23 PM   #126
MileHighGolfer

Quote:
Originally Posted by kayaker View Post
Wow. Would YOU like to party with Gina Carano?
lol

yes
Old 11-13-2008, 07:17 PM   #127
RHNewfie
Have My Own Room

First Name: Jeff
Trading: (15)
Partagas
RHNewfie is a jewel in the roughRHNewfie is a jewel in the roughRHNewfie is a jewel in the rough

Everyone ready for Saturday? So who's it gonna be? Randy or Brock?
Old 11-13-2008, 08:33 PM   #128
kayaker

Could go either way, but I'm hoping Randy schools 'em.
Old 11-14-2008, 07:35 AM   #129
Tw3nty

I have been wanting to post this thought for a while. I am nervous posting it, cause I do not want it to be interpreted wrong.

I believe MMA is becoming a legit sport, and for it to become a legit sport, we have to believe Randy is going to win.

I know Brock is big, but his record is 1-1 or 2-1. Either way he has not proven he is good enough to fight the champ. If Brock wins, then there is no legitimacy to the sport.

That means any big guy with any minimal skill--I say minimal because he has not fought or wrestled competitively in years--can hop into the ring and beat the champ.

Because of this, I believe the only way to believe that the sport is legit is to believe the champ will win.

Now, I know any guy, in a contact sport, can beat any guy on any given day---I saw rocky---but, we have to think that Randy has the best shot at winning because of his experience and being the current undefeated champ.

I am not trying to raise a rucus...I just think the sport is real and a guy cant get a title shot who has lost a fight in his 2 or 3 fight campaign to the belt just because he is big and strong.

Hope I did not offend anyone.
Old 11-14-2008, 08:09 AM   #130
kgoings
Cigarologist

First Name: Kirk
Trading: (42)
HUpmann Army (Served With Honor)
kgoings is a jewel in the roughkgoings is a jewel in the roughkgoings is a jewel in the rough

Quote:
Originally Posted by Tw3nty View Post
I have been wanting to post this thought for a while. I am nervous posting it, cause I do not want it to be interpreted wrong.

I believe MMA is becoming a legit sport, and for it to become a legit sport, we have to believe Randy is going to win.

I know Brock is big, but his record is 1-1 or 2-1. Either way he has not proven he is good enough to fight the champ. If Brock wins, then there is no legitimacy to the sport.

That means any big guy with any minimal skill--I say minimal because he has not fought or wrestled competitively in years--can hop into the ring and beat the champ.

Because of this, I believe the only way to believe that the sport is legit is to believe the champ will win.

Now, I know any guy, in a contact sport, can beat any guy on any given day---I saw rocky---but, we have to think that Randy has the best shot at winning because of his experience and being the current undefeated champ.

I am not trying to raise a rucus...I just think the sport is real and a guy cant get a title shot who has lost a fight in his 2 or 3 fight campaign to the belt just because he is big and strong.

No offense here. Lesner has showed some skill but I certainly dont think he deserves a shot this early. And I can't stand the whole 'Wrestling' persona he puts on when he wins, grabing the mike and yelling like he is on WWE.
Old 11-14-2008, 08:16 AM   #131
MileHighGolfer

no offense here and im even willing to up it slightly..

it had to suck for randy to be put in a place to legitimize this freakshow that is lesnar... talk about pwnage by UFC... randy tried so hard to get out of his contract with them so he could move on in the spirit of MMA and fight worthy opponents..obviously, they kept winning the legal battles. White basically said, look if you ever want to fight again you have to complete this contract and now as an added twist, you have to legitimize my freak.. then you only have 1 more fight on your contract with the UFC and maybe we will try and make Fedor happen for you...(not likely)
Old 11-14-2008, 09:46 AM   #132
icehog3
Admiral Douchebag

First Name: Tom
Trading: (60)
HUpmann
icehog3 has disabled reputation

Quote:
Originally Posted by kgoings View Post
No offense here. Lesner has showed some skill but I certainly dont think he deserves a shot this early. And I can't stand the whole 'Wrestling' persona he puts on when he wins, grabing the mike and yelling like he is on WWE.
It's all about the money for Dana.

Thanks Dave, Julian, James, Kelly, Peter, Gerry, Dave, Mo, Frank, Týr and Mr. Mark!
icehog3 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-14-2008, 02:47 PM   #133
Ken
Still Watching My Back

RyJ Army (Served With Honor)
Ken is on a distinguished road

Quote:
I believe MMA is becoming a legit sport, and for it to become a legit sport, we have to believe Randy is going to win....That means any big guy with any minimal skill--
I understand why you could feel this way, though I totally disagree. I must also say that I would have liked to have seen Lesnar in another good fight or two before getting a title shot. He was getting matched up with Kongo and that would have been a good fight to see. And it would have been good to see him against another good sub guy.

Minimal skills* No one would walk into a ring with minimal skills and win a title fight much less a prelim. Look at Lesnar vs Mir. Lesnar was dominating and had good control until he left his leg open and got caught. That is what inexperience will do to you. Before this fight Lesnar had been putting in some serouis training. He didn't just go walking out of the WWE locker room and show up at the UFC and challenge someone. Big and strong can get you places, but not against high level fighters. Lesnar brings much more to the table. He brings an athleticism not seen in the heavyweight division along with superier wrestling skills which serves as a great base for his fighting ability. With his freakish size and strength, athletic ability, and hard training he is going to be a hand full for anyone.

So as far as putting the legitimacy of MMA on the line with this fight its going a bit overboard.
Ken is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-14-2008, 02:53 PM   #134
Ken
Still Watching My Back

Quote:
Originally Posted by icehog3 View Post
It's all about the money for Dana.
No, he wouldn't base match decisions just for the sake money.

That's probably why Machida is waiting in line for his shot. Fighters have to draw the money in if they what to be crowned. It sucks in a way but can understand the business side of it. Have to be able to sale the fight to make a profit.
Old 11-14-2008, 03:07 PM   #135
icehog3
Admiral Douchebag

First Name: Tom
Trading: (60)
HUpmann
icehog3 has disabled reputation

Quote:
Originally Posted by Ken View Post
No, he wouldn't base match decisions just for the sake money.

That's probably why Machida is waiting in line for his shot. Fighters have to draw the money in if they what to be crowned. It sucks in a way but can understand the business side of it. Have to be able to sale the fight to make a profit.
No doubt, Ken, but I wish it were based more on what is fair than on what is profitable.

Thanks Dave, Julian, James, Kelly, Peter, Gerry, Dave, Mo, Frank, Týr and Mr. Mark!
icehog3 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-14-2008, 03:22 PM   #136
LordOfWu

Quote:
Originally Posted by Ken View Post
I understand why you could feel this way, though I totally disagree. I must also say that I would have liked to have seen Lesnar in another good fight or two before getting a title shot. He was getting matched up with Kongo and that would have been a good fight to see. And it would have been good to see him against another good sub guy.

Minimal skills* No one would walk into a ring with minimal skills and win a title fight much less a prelim. Look at Lesnar vs Mir. Lesnar was dominating and had good control until he left his leg open and got caught. That is what inexperience will do to you. Before this fight Lesnar had been putting in some serouis training. He didn't just go walking out of the WWE locker room and show up at the UFC and challenge someone. Big and strong can get you places, but not against high level fighters. Lesnar brings much more to the table. He brings an athleticism not seen in the heavyweight division along with superier wrestling skills which serves as a great base for his fighting ability. With his freakish size and strength, athletic ability, and hard training he is going to be a hand full for anyone.

So as far as putting the legitimacy of MMA on the line with this fight its going a bit overboard.
I am in agreement for the most part, I just think there is a proving process, or I like to think there is, and Lesnar hasn't proven himself.

In a side note, there have certainly be exceptions in other 'legitimate' sports, Keven Garnett, Kobe Bryant, LeBron James, who have not gone through the same process and still proven themselves ready and able to be at that level.

I don't want to more emphasis on this than there is already, the part that probably bugs me the most is that there are two heavyweight champs right now, and that seems to be taking the back seat. It seems that it would be right and fair to give Nogiera his shot before Lesnar gets his. Or make Lesnar fight Nogiera for the right to a shot at Randy. But of course, there is already a fight w/ Mir, and they need Randy to fight (he's not getting any younger!). Just seems a shame.
Old 11-14-2008, 03:55 PM   #137
NCRadioMan
Chutney Lovebusciut

First Name: Chutney
Trading: (66)
RG
NCRadioMan has disabled reputation

Quote:

You have offended me greatly, Robert!

I understand why you feel that way as we have talked about this before but, if Lesnar wins would that legitimize him?

As Tom mentioned, you have to draw money or be one of Dana's "boys" to get anywhere in the UFC, for the most part.
Old 11-14-2008, 09:32 PM   #138
Ken
Still Watching My Back

Quote:
Quote:
Originally Posted by icehog3 View Post
No doubt, Ken, but I wish it were based more on what is fair than on what is profitable.
Quote:
I am in agreement for the most part, I just think there is a proving process, or I like to think there is, and Lesnar hasn't proven himself.
I concur 2x.

Another fight or two would give him added experience and more time in training and aside from Mir and Nog I really don't think anyone else was going to stop him. Not to discredit any of the other HW's. Lesnar brings a physicality that can even the playing field when there is such a discrepancy in skill level.

Quote:
It seems that it would be right and fair to give Nogiera his shot before Lesnar gets his.
I think Lesnar should have fought the loser of Mir & Nog. Well, really I think he should have fought someone before these guys, but..blah.

Quote:
if Lesnar wins would that legitimize him?
Interesting way to put it.
Old 11-15-2008, 07:02 AM   #139
Ken
Still Watching My Back

Anyone questioning Randy's mental preparedness? All the hoopla he was going through and coming right back to the UFC, is his head where it needs to be?

Couture over Lesnar - I'll go on the side of experience. Though there is a lot of downside baggage with Randy right now and nothing but opportunity for Lesnar.
Florian over Stevenson - Can he handle another strong figher?
Gonzaga - I'd just like to see him lose
Maia over Quarry
Hazelett over McCrory
Old 11-15-2008, 08:58 AM   #140
BengalMan
Have My Own Room

First Name: Ian
Trading: (10)
Cohiba
BengalMan will become famous soon enoughBengalMan will become famous soon enough

Below are my picks. I'm going to go against the grain and go with what I think everyone is thinking will happen in their minds, I'm picking Brock.

265 lbs.: UFC Heavyweight Champion Randy Couture (220) vs. Brock Lesnar (265)
155 lbs.: Kenny Florian (156) vs. Joe Stevenson (156)
265 lbs.: Gabriel Gonzaga (256) vs. Josh Hendricks (238)
185 lbs.: Demian Maia (185) vs. Nate Quarry (185)
170 lbs.: Dustin Hazelett (170) vs. Tamdan McCrory (170)
155 lbs.: Jorge Gurgel (155) vs. Aaron Riley (156)
155 lbs.: Jeremy Stephens (155) vs. Rafael dos Anjos (155)
155 lbs.: Alvin Robinson (155) vs. Mark Bocek (155)
170 lbs.: Matt Brown (171) vs. Ryan Thomas (170)
BengalMan is offline   Reply With Quote