Cigar Asylum Cigar Forum  

Go Back   Cigar Asylum Cigar Forum > Non Cigar Specialty Forums > Misc > Sports

Old 01-17-2009, 05:24 PM   #241
BengalMan
Have My Own Room

First Name: Ian
Trading: (10)
Cohiba
BengalMan will become famous soon enoughBengalMan will become famous soon enough
Default Re: Official MMA Thread

Just as I thought, Hendo by decision. I really thought Coleman had Shogun in 3 until they got stood up. Then he get KTFO. That was a brutal uppercut that landed flush on Coleman's jaw.
BengalMan is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-17-2009, 06:54 PM   #242
BengalMan
Have My Own Room

Cohiba
BengalMan will become famous soon enoughBengalMan will become famous soon enough

Churck Liddell vs. Shogun to be the Main Event at UFC 97
http://www.bloodyelbow.com/2009/1/17...l-vs-shogun-ru

Alongside an Anderson Silva title defense, the co-main event of UFC 97 in Montreal is Chuck Liddell vs. Shogun Rua. The news comes from Dave Meltzer.

If the same Shogun shows up that we saw tonight, it is going to be a short night for him. It's funny to think about what would have happened if Chuck fought Shogun last June. He would have probably won and gone on to a title shot against Griffin and possibly another run on top.
Old 01-19-2009, 04:38 PM   #243
Steelergar

Affliction Day of Reckoning this weekend here is the fight card

PPV matches
WAMMA Heavyweight Championship bout: Fedor Emelianenko vs. Andrei Arlovski
Heavyweight bout: Josh Barnett vs. Gilbert Yvel
Light Heavyweight bout: Renato Sobral vs. Rameau Thierry Sokoudjou
Middleweight bout: Matt Lindland vs. Vitor Belfort
Lightweight bout: Chris Horodecki vs. Dan Lauzon
Heavyweight bout: Paul Buentello vs. Kirill Sidelnikov

HDNet matches
Light Heavyweight bout: Vladimir Matyushenko vs. Antonio Rogerio Nogueira
Welterweight bout: Jay Hieron vs. Jason High
Featherweight bout: Bao Quach vs. LC Davis
Featherweight bout: Albert Rios vs. Antonio Duarte
Welterweight bout: Brett Cooper vs. Patrick Speight
Old 01-20-2009, 06:10 AM   #244
RHNewfie
Have My Own Room

First Name: Jeff
Trading: (15)
Partagas
RHNewfie is a jewel in the roughRHNewfie is a jewel in the roughRHNewfie is a jewel in the rough

So... GSP vs Penn, thoughts? I watched the half hour show on them the other day, I think GSP is anticipating an improved Penn but I am not sure if Penn has a full understanding of what he is up against. I think GSP will come out on top, I'd like to say that he will demolish BJ but I'm not so sure about that. I sure hope so though!!!!
Old 01-20-2009, 09:11 AM   #245
kayaker

I think BJ could win with his striking if GSP is not careful I (a la Matt Serra). A submission is also possible but I think GSP will be able to avoid or muscle his way out.

Overall, both have improved a great deal since their last fight, but I think GSP is better.

I rewatched their first fight. Yeah GSP was bloodied up, but he definitely won the 2nd 2 rounds. Besides, he got eye poked and his nose broke from a skimming uppercut. It looked worse than what is actually was.

GSP round 2 by ground and pound.
Old 01-20-2009, 09:42 AM   #246
Ken
Still Watching My Back

Trading: (0)
RyJ Army (Served With Honor)
Ken is on a distinguished road

Some good fights this past UFC. Do not agree with the decision, but that second was pretty close. This fight really needed to be a 5 rounder. With fighters of this level they need to be pushed.

edited: Every time I hear Penn talk the more I can't stand the guy. I can only hope GSP beats him down and leaves the Prodigy broken.

Last edited by Ken; 01-20-2009 at 09:50 AM.
Ken is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-21-2009, 09:41 AM   #247
Killjoy

If everything goes according to plan, I will ve at the fight in Vegas for GSP v Penn. I know you are all going to think I am crazy, but I thing B.J. is going to win. GSP wrestling is great, but B.J. has probably the best BJJ for MMa than anyone in the world. The only problem for Penn will be if he cant get GSP off his feet, and that is tough.

I say Penn in 2 via sub...Rear Naked Choke
Old 01-21-2009, 02:44 PM   #248
Steelergar

Quote:
Originally Posted by Killjoy View Post
GSP wrestling is great, but B.J. has probably the best BJJ for MMa than anyone in the world.

I'm sorry but there are plenty of better BJJ than BJ Penn most of them just do not fight in the UFC. To name a couple Shinya Aoki, Ronaldo Souza, and Roger Gracie could all smoke BJ Penn in BJJ and Damien Mia is probably the best BJJ in the UFC.
Old 01-21-2009, 02:48 PM   #249
Killjoy

I do have to give you Mia...his skill are hot sex on a platter. Aoki is good but gets into trouble alot, and has little takedown skills..Souza is a beast too
Old 01-23-2009, 08:12 PM   #250
Ken
Still Watching My Back

Trading: (0)
RyJ Army (Served With Honor)
Ken is on a distinguished road

Fedor vs Arlovski Sat. nights people. Don't know who I'm going to pick on this one. I hope Arlovski puts on a good fight.

Ken is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-23-2009, 09:35 PM   #251
kayaker

Quote:
Originally Posted by Ken View Post
I hope Arlovski puts on a good fight.
Old 01-24-2009, 04:00 PM   #252
BengalMan
Have My Own Room

Cohiba

GOing out to dinner then going to my boy's place for the Affliction card. Going to be a helluva card. It really pisses me off that no one is giving Arlovski a shot against Fedor. Personally, I he has a great chance to pull the upset. Anyone see the weigh in pics? Is it me or did Fedor look the most out of shape that I've seen him yet? Below is a picture. I mean Fedor has never been ripped by any means, but this picture really makes him look out of shape. I think AA has better cardio and better striking. If this stays standing up, I'm taking AA. Fedor will likely dominate AA on the ground though.
Other than this fight, I think the other fights, while they have big names, will likely be one sided. I'm taking Babalu, Lindland, Barnett and Buentello over "Lil Fedor" as they call Sidelnikov.

Old 01-24-2009, 05:04 PM   #253
Tw3nty

Quote:
Originally Posted by Killjoy View Post
If everything goes according to plan, I will ve at the fight in Vegas for GSP v Penn. I know you are all going to think I am crazy, but I thing B.J. is going to win. GSP wrestling is great, but B.J. has probably the best BJJ for MMa than anyone in the world. The only problem for Penn will be if he cant get GSP off his feet, and that is tough.

I really have to argue that B.J is the best at BJJ in the world. I would argue Anderson Silva is better and would even argue that Vinny Magalhaes who is a three time world BJJ competitor (02' 05' & 07') is better.
Old 01-24-2009, 05:09 PM   #254
Tw3nty

Quote:
Originally Posted by BengalMan View Post
GOing out to dinner then going to my boy's place for the Affliction card. Going to be a helluva card. It really pisses me off that no one is giving Arlovski a shot against Fedor. Personally, I he has a great chance to pull the upset. Anyone see the weigh in pics? Is it me or did Fedor look the most out of shape that I've seen him yet? Below is a picture. I mean Fedor has never been ripped by any means, but this picture really makes him look out of shape. I think AA has better cardio and better striking. If this stays standing up, I'm taking AA. Fedor will likely dominate AA on the ground though.
Other than this fight, I think the other fights, while they have big names, will likely be one sided. I'm taking Babalu, Lindland, Barnett and Buentello over "Lil Fedor" as they call Sidelnikov.

Fedor always looks that out of shape, especially in his pride days. If you think AA has better stand up you must have missed the Silvia fight. Fedor is sick at all aspects of the game. His stand up is great, and ground game is even, better because the big guys are not that good at the ground game--except Barnes. I really can't see AA giving Fedor a fight, unless Fedor gets into one of his feel out the opponents until he destroys them.
Old 01-24-2009, 05:31 PM   #255
Steelergar

The second HD net fight is about to start and I gotta sat that I love this promotion right now. Gotta love Bas Rutten commentating as well. Also cut muscles do not mean your a dominate fighter refer to Mark Kerr.

Last edited by Steelergar; 01-24-2009 at 05:37 PM.
Old 01-24-2009, 09:45 PM   #256
NCRadioMan
Chutney Lovebusciut

First Name: Chutney
Trading: (66)
RG
NCRadioMan has disabled reputation

One punch!

Got Fedor?
Old 01-24-2009, 09:46 PM   #257
Tw3nty

WHat a fight. Fedor just has too much power. What a punch.
Old 01-24-2009, 10:04 PM   #258
Steelergar

Nice fight, Fedor has beaten the best that the UFC has to offer.
Old 01-24-2009, 10:36 PM   #259
BengalMan
Have My Own Room

Cohiba

Main event was crazy. Fedor was getting beat hands down on the stand up game just as I thought, then BOOM. Honestly, we thought Arlovski slipped at first until we saw the replay. He want for that flying knee and got straight put to bed. Baby Fedor got beat on by Buentello. I really wish Kimblow would have accepted Buentello's challenge way back when, it would have been hysterical.
Old 01-24-2009, 10:58 PM   #260
ActionAndy
Dayman, Master of Karate

First Name: Andy
Trading: (7)
HdM
ActionAndy will become famous soon enough

Quote:
Originally Posted by BengalMan View Post
Main event was crazy. Fedor was getting beat hands down on the stand up game just as I thought, then BOOM. Honestly, we thought Arlovski slipped at first until we saw the replay. He want for that flying knee and got straight put to bed. Baby Fedor got beat on by Buentello. I really wish Kimblow would have accepted Buentello's challenge way back when, it would have been hysterical.
Going into it I wanted to see a Fedor victory. But, lately I have really appreciated AA as well. So when AA really set the pace and gave out some good strikes, and Fedor got flustered, I was EXCITED. I couldn't believe that knockout. What a jawdropping halt to a fight. AA was obviously heartbroken and you really have to wonder what would have happened if he hadn't been so giddy with that knee. Oh well.
ActionAndy is offline   Reply With Quote