Cigar Asylum Cigar Forum  

Go Back   Cigar Asylum Cigar Forum > Cigar Forums > Cigar Discussion > All Cigar Discussion

Old 07-11-2011, 05:25 PM   #1
BHK54

Default Best cigar age?

What is your opinion about best cigar age? I have heard that best is around 8 years...that it doesn't improve after that?
Old 07-11-2011, 05:32 PM   #2
longknocker
Postwhore

First Name: Greg
Trading: (82)
Cohiba
longknocker has a brilliant futurelongknocker has a brilliant futurelongknocker has a brilliant futurelongknocker has a brilliant futurelongknocker has a brilliant futurelongknocker has a brilliant futurelongknocker has a brilliant futurelongknocker has a brilliant futurelongknocker has a brilliant futurelongknocker has a brilliant futurelongknocker has a brilliant future
Default Re: Best cigar age?

Quote:
Originally Posted by BHK54 View Post
What is your opinion about best cigar age? I have heard that best is around 8 years...that it doesn't improve after that?
It All Depends On The Individual Cigar. I've Smoked 2yr. Old Cigars That Were Awesome And 1 Year Old Cigars That Lost Their Flavor.
longknocker is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-11-2011, 05:39 PM   #3
NCRadioMan
Chutney Lovebusciut

First Name: Chutney
Trading: (66)
RG
NCRadioMan has disabled reputation

As in almost all things in this hobby, it is totally subjective.

The best age, to me, is when I am smoking it. For nc's I typically get the best results between 1-4 years but like Greg said, it depends on the cigar.

Last edited by NCRadioMan; 07-11-2011 at 05:49 PM.
NCRadioMan is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-11-2011, 07:06 PM   #4
Dunkel
Maduro & Oscuro Whore-O

First Name: Doug
Trading: (75)
Dunkel is just really niceDunkel is just really niceDunkel is just really niceDunkel is just really nice

Insert rule of 3 joke here. LOL
Old 07-11-2011, 07:10 PM   #5
hscmit
Have My Own Room

First Name: James
Trading: (4)
Bolivar
hscmit has a spectacular aura abouthscmit has a spectacular aura abouthscmit has a spectacular aura about

Quote:
Originally Posted by Dunkel View Post
Insert rule of 3 joke here. LOL
Beat me to it
hscmit is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-11-2011, 10:15 PM   #6
icehog3
Admiral Douchebag

First Name: Tom
Trading: (60)
HUpmann
icehog3 has disabled reputation

I smoked a couple 40 year old cigars Saturday that were absolutely stellar.

Thanks Dave, Julian, James, Kelly, Peter, Gerry, Dave, Mo, Frank, Týr and Mr. Mark!
icehog3 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-12-2011, 06:12 AM   #7
Subvet642
Bilge Rat

First Name: Darren
Trading: (13)
LFdC Navy (Served With Honor)
Subvet642 is a name known to allSubvet642 is a name known to allSubvet642 is a name known to allSubvet642 is a name known to allSubvet642 is a name known to allSubvet642 is a name known to all

Quote:
Originally Posted by icehog3 View Post
Really? What are the chances of seeing a review, Admiral?
Old 07-12-2011, 06:29 AM   #8
Apoco
Nerd with social skills

First Name: Alex
Trading: (37)
Apoco is a jewel in the roughApoco is a jewel in the roughApoco is a jewel in the rough

Quote:
Originally Posted by longknocker View Post
It All Depends On The Individual Cigar. I've Smoked 2yr. Old Cigars That Were Awesome And 1 Year Old Cigars That Lost Their Flavor.

OpusX require a couple of years. Arturo Fuente Hemmingway are acceptable ROTT but I (so far...still aging some) have found that they get better with age up to 2 years. I'll let you know when I either A) run out of them or B) they lose their flavor
Posted via Mobile Device
Apoco is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-12-2011, 06:30 AM   #9
Tbagley
Still Watching My Back

Trading: (0)
Tbagley is on a distinguished road

Quote:

The dedication to keep and age cigars for 40 years is just astonishing. A review would be nice.
Tbagley is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-12-2011, 08:02 AM   #10
icehog3
Admiral Douchebag

Trading: (60)
HUpmann
icehog3 has disabled reputation

Quote:
Originally Posted by Subvet642 View Post
Really? What are the chances of seeing a review, Admiral?
Quote:
Originally Posted by Tbag View Post
The dedication to keep and age cigars for 40 years is just astonishing. A review would be nice.
I certainly wasn't the one to age these cigars, or I would have been buying cigars at an illegally young age. The friend who gifted them ti me hasn't had them for even half of the 20 years either, but I can tell you that they must have been stored impeccably throughout their existence.

One of the cigars was a 70's JJ Fox Partagas Seleccion #3. It was amazing in that for most of the cigar it belied the typical vintage Partagas profile and had a distinct sweetness that I have rarely found in the marca. One of the other friends there smoked one from the box and said the same about the cigar. The final third picked up some serious strength (especially for a 40 year old cigar), and began to exhibit much more of what is the Partagas profile.

Thanks Dave, Julian, James, Kelly, Peter, Gerry, Dave, Mo, Frank, Týr and Mr. Mark!
icehog3 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-12-2011, 08:11 AM   #11
Sherlockholms

Quote:
I certainly wasn't the one to age these cigars, or I would have been buying cigars at an illegally young age. The friend who gifted them ti me hasn't had them for even half of the 20 years either, but I can tell you that they must have been stored impeccably throughout their existence.

One of the cigars was a 70's JJ Fox Partagas Seleccion #3. It was amazing in that for most of the cigar it belied the typical vintage Partagas profile and had a distinct sweetness that I have rarely found in the marca. One of the other friends there smoked one from the box and said the same about the cigar. The final third picked up some serious strength (especially for a 40 year old cigar), and began to exhibit much more of what is the Partagas profile.

Nice Tom, those sound amazing!
Old 07-12-2011, 08:14 AM   #12
hscmit
Have My Own Room

First Name: James
Trading: (4)
Bolivar
hscmit has a spectacular aura abouthscmit has a spectacular aura abouthscmit has a spectacular aura about

sounds amazing tom

glad you got to experience it
hscmit is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-12-2011, 08:30 AM   #13
shilala
Dear Lord, Thank You.

First Name: Scott
Trading: (252)
Cuaba
shilala has a reputation beyond reputeshilala has a reputation beyond reputeshilala has a reputation beyond reputeshilala has a reputation beyond reputeshilala has a reputation beyond reputeshilala has a reputation beyond reputeshilala has a reputation beyond reputeshilala has a reputation beyond reputeshilala has a reputation beyond reputeshilala has a reputation beyond reputeshilala has a reputation beyond repute

I kinda like mine the best at about 8 months after I get them in my hands. That's speaking of nc's. They seem to get real good at that age, once I've got them dried out and rested a bit. Then there's a window of about 4 to 6 months where they're at their peak, then they just mellow to wherever they plan to be for a long time.
I tend to like my cc's fresh, as well. As long as they aren't bitter, they're ready for me.
I'm definately the exception, I'd think. It's just what I've found I like, for the most part. Aside from that, I could care less about age just so long as they're smoking good and taste good.
I've smoked lots of old cigars, the oldest being just shy of 100 years. It was a good cigar. With nothing to compare it to like in Tom's experience, it was just a "thing". To try a 40 year old smoke of a marca I already very much like would be a whole lot more fun than just the random novelty of smoking a 100 year old cigar.
My suggestion would be to try anything you can get your hands on that has a little age and compare them to stuff that's ROTT and maybe 8 months to a year old. That'll tell you what YOU like, and that's what matters.
Old 07-12-2011, 08:40 AM   #14
markem
Bunion

First Name: Mark
Trading: (47)
HUpmann
markem has disabled reputation

The cigar itself and how it was stored will tell the tale of when it is at age and when it is past age.

I still have a half cab of Robt Burns from 1956 that are smoking well. Not "knock you on the floor" crazy good, but certainly nice and full of flavor.
Old 07-12-2011, 08:46 AM   #15
pnoon
YNWA

First Name: Peter
Trading: (20)
RA
pnoon has disabled reputation

Quote:
Originally Posted by markem View Post
The cigar itself and how it was stored will tell the tale of when it is at age and when it is past age.

I still have a half cab of Robt Burns from 1956 that are smoking well. Not "knock you on the floor" crazy good, but certainly nice and full of flavor.
Don't be such a Nickerson.
Posted via Mobile Device
pnoon is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-12-2011, 08:52 AM   #16
markem
Bunion

First Name: Mark
Trading: (47)
HUpmann
markem has disabled reputation

Quote:
Originally Posted by pnoon View Post
Don't be such a Nickerson.
My Mafia name is Nicky the Nickerson
Old 07-12-2011, 03:27 PM   #17
audio1der

I prefer a really smooth flavor profile, something which I find stand out after 6+ years for many Cubans. Some are OK ROTT (BBF for example) but quickly settle into muddle flavors and on/off sick periods for some time after. I have no experience with anything over 10 yrs.
Old 07-13-2011, 05:14 AM   #18
JJKJR
Still Watching My Back

First Name: Joe
JJKJR is on a distinguished road

When a cigar maker says that he ages his tobacco for 5 years before rolling the cigar does that count in the aging process? Or does a cigar only properly age after it is rolled?
JJKJR is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-13-2011, 07:32 AM   #19
dvickery
Team of 1

First Name: derrek
dvickery has a spectacular aura aboutdvickery has a spectacular aura aboutdvickery has a spectacular aura about

bhk54

i honestly believe that '89 to '93...are the best smokes right now.

doesnt mean thats all i smoke but a few times a month i do...every time i do smoke from this era it just further reinforces my opinion that these are the best years(more or less)to be smoking from just now.

derrek
Old 07-13-2011, 09:34 AM   #20
Subvet642
Bilge Rat

First Name: Darren
Trading: (13)
LFdC Navy (Served With Honor)
Subvet642 is a name known to allSubvet642 is a name known to allSubvet642 is a name known to allSubvet642 is a name known to allSubvet642 is a name known to allSubvet642 is a name known to all

Quote:

Thanks! They sound awesome.