Cigar Asylum Cigar Forum  

Go Back   Cigar Asylum Cigar Forum > Non Cigar Specialty Forums > Wine, Beer, and Spirits

Old 01-08-2011, 12:02 PM   #1
shark
Cigar Smokin' Patriot

First Name: Ron
Trading: (0)
Bolivar Army (Served With Honor)
shark is a glorious beacon of lightshark is a glorious beacon of lightshark is a glorious beacon of lightshark is a glorious beacon of lightshark is a glorious beacon of lightshark is a glorious beacon of light
Default India Pale Ales...

..in my not so humble opinion, are one of the best beers for the money. Sure, kinda pricey, especially for the really good ones, but worth every penny! Currently, I'm sipping an Alimony Ale from Buffalo Bill's Brewery. Pretty tasty stuff!
Old 01-08-2011, 12:25 PM   #2
Darrell

Default Re: India Pale Ales...

I love IPA, some of my favorites are Lagunitas, Sierra Nevada Torpedo, and Dogfish Head 90 min IPA!
Old 01-08-2011, 12:34 PM   #3
Powers
Swamp Ash member in exile

First Name: Michael
Trading: (17)
Bolivar
Powers is a name known to allPowers is a name known to allPowers is a name known to allPowers is a name known to allPowers is a name known to allPowers is a name known to all

Enjoy it bro!
Old 01-08-2011, 12:49 PM   #4
hammondc
Moar Padrons!

First Name: Chip
Partagas
hammondc has a spectacular aura abouthammondc has a spectacular aura abouthammondc has a spectacular aura about

IPA
Dogfish 60 min
Stone IPA
Bells Two Hearted
Magic Hat
Ska Brewing Modus Hoperandus
Dales Pale Ale
Sierra Nevada Torpedo
Sierra Nevada Celebration
Ballast Point Sculpin

IIPA
Dogfish Head 90min
Stone Runiation
Victory Hopdevil
Victory Hop Wallop
Bells Hopslam
Founders Double Trouble
Avery Maharaja
Great Divide Hercules
Weyerbacher Double Simcoe
Moylans Moylander
Moylans Hopsickle
Harpoon Leviathan

Thats a good start.
hammondc is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-08-2011, 02:08 PM   #5
Bill86
Snob

First Name: Bill
Trading: (67)
Cohiba
Bill86 is a name known to allBill86 is a name known to allBill86 is a name known to allBill86 is a name known to allBill86 is a name known to allBill86 is a name known to all

Nice list Chip, I'd like to add Three Floyds Alpha King to the IPA list. Also Three Floyds Dreadnaught to the Imperial IPA list. Stone's Cali Belgi is interesting to try.
Bill86 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-08-2011, 02:10 PM   #6
kaisersozei
The Homebrew Hammer

First Name: Gerard
Trading: (40)
Punch Army (Served With Honor)
kaisersozei is a name known to allkaisersozei is a name known to allkaisersozei is a name known to allkaisersozei is a name known to allkaisersozei is a name known to allkaisersozei is a name known to all

I really don't have much to add to Chip's post, that's an awesome start. An awesome middle & finish, too!

I love brewing IPAs & DIPAs--I find they are the most satisfying, as I can tailor the recipe exactly to my liking, or to clone a popular commercial product pretty easily.

kaisersozei is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-08-2011, 02:15 PM   #7
LostAbbott
Have My Own Room

First Name: Mychal
Trading: (23)
PL
LostAbbott will become famous soon enough

Russian River Pliney the Elder
Sierra Nevada Estate
Hales Super Goose
Hales Aftermath
Boundry bay IPA

If you have the means try anything this has been fresh hopped, Deshutes brewing makes some great ones.

Also Here in Seattle, in the summer you can find a few places that will tap a keg and push the IPA through a 1/2inch tube stuffed full of fresh hops. It makes for some great beer.
Old 01-08-2011, 02:22 PM   #8
mscales

I like them also. I have been buying COSTCO brand Kirkland beer. It comes in a sampler case of 24 with four different beers. All are good and made in America.
Old 01-08-2011, 02:35 PM   #9
Steve
Dad Jokester Supreme

First Name: Steve
Trading: (6)
HdM
Steve has much to be proud ofSteve has much to be proud ofSteve has much to be proud ofSteve has much to be proud ofSteve has much to be proud ofSteve has much to be proud ofSteve has much to be proud ofSteve has much to be proud ofSteve has much to be proud ofSteve has much to be proud of

I'm actually enjoying a Dogfish 90 right now
Old 01-08-2011, 07:11 PM   #10
hammondc
Moar Padrons!

Partagas
hammondc has a spectacular aura abouthammondc has a spectacular aura abouthammondc has a spectacular aura about

Quote:
Originally Posted by Bill86 View Post
Nice list Chip, I'd like to add Three Floyds Alpha King to the IPA list. Also Three Floyds Dreadnaught to the Imperial IPA list. Stone's Cali Belgi is interesting to try.
No kidding. I would LOVE LOVE to try the brews from Three Floyds (all of them) and Russian River (anything with Pliny in the name). Unfortunately, The Republic of Texas does not have these. Jerks.
Old 01-08-2011, 07:14 PM   #11
hammondc
Moar Padrons!

Partagas

Quote:
Originally Posted by LostAbbott View Post
Also Here in Seattle, in the summer you can find a few places that will tap a keg and push the IPA through a 1/2inch tube stuffed full of fresh hops. It makes for some great beer.
That is a Randalizer. never had the prevelidge. A tap house up the road from me said they are trying to get DFH 90 Min + a randalizer this spring.
Old 01-08-2011, 07:42 PM   #12
Bill86
Snob

Cohiba
Bill86 is a name known to allBill86 is a name known to allBill86 is a name known to allBill86 is a name known to allBill86 is a name known to allBill86 is a name known to all

I had to wait till the parents went to visit my Aunt in Indiana to score a crapton of Three Floyds brews. They are freaking good....didn't last long. I hear ya on the Russian River as well. TN has no better luck.
Old 01-08-2011, 08:04 PM   #13
larryinlc
Angry Packer Fan

First Name: Larry
Trading: (15)
larryinlc has disabled reputation

Where do they come up with these names? I'm drinking a Snake Dog IPA right now. Good. I've had so many different IPA's from many brewers and I've concluded that they're all good. With the distinct taste of an IPA, there really seems to be not a lot of difference from one to another. Some seem stronger, but the taste is the taste. Oh, and what better cigar to go along with a good beer than a Diamond Crown Pyramid #7 Maduro. It's 4 degrees outdoors at the moment and I'm smoking indoors and nobody cares. It's a great day.

Larry
larryinlc is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-08-2011, 08:06 PM   #14
pnoon
YNWA

First Name: Peter
Trading: (20)
RA
pnoon has disabled reputation

Alpine Pure Hoppiness.
Racer 5
Old 01-08-2011, 08:37 PM   #15
Bill86
Snob

Cohiba

Quote:
Originally Posted by larryinlc View Post
Where do they come up with these names? I'm drinking a Snake Dog IPA right now. Good. I've had so many different IPA's from many brewers and I've concluded that they're all good. With the distinct taste of an IPA, there really seems to be not a lot of difference from one to another. Some seem stronger, but the taste is the taste. Oh, and what better cigar to go along with a good beer than a Diamond Crown Pyramid #7 Maduro. It's 4 degrees outdoors at the moment and I'm smoking indoors and nobody cares. It's a great day.

Larry
I dunno, I wouldn't say all IPA's taste the same but there is much more variance in Imperial IPAs. Drink a DFH 120 minute IPA and tell me it tastes anything like a Three Floyds Dreadnaught. I would say the same about the 120 minute VS a Stones Ruination.
Old 01-08-2011, 09:08 PM   #16
kaisersozei
The Homebrew Hammer

First Name: Gerard
Trading: (40)
Punch Army (Served With Honor)
kaisersozei is a name known to allkaisersozei is a name known to allkaisersozei is a name known to allkaisersozei is a name known to allkaisersozei is a name known to allkaisersozei is a name known to all

Quote:
Originally Posted by larryinlc View Post
I've had so many different IPA's from many brewers and I've concluded that they're all good. With the distinct taste of an IPA, there really seems to be not a lot of difference from one to another. Some seem stronger, but the taste is the taste.
When I'm looking for differences in taste between IPAs, I check the hop varieties used. I wish more craft breweries listed their yeast, but many of them use the same few strains anyway, I believe.

kaisersozei is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-08-2011, 09:19 PM   #17
hammondc
Moar Padrons!

Partagas

Quote:
Originally Posted by Bill86 View Post
I dunno, I wouldn't say all IPA's taste the same but there is much more variance in Imperial IPAs. Drink a DFH 120 minute IPA and tell me it tastes anything like a Three Floyds Dreadnaught. I would say the same about the 120 minute VS a Stones Ruination.
120 is in a class by itself. There is absolutely nothing else like it. ~19% ABV. Closer to a wine than a beer. Freakin good though. I have a few on hand here with some age. I would call it a 4xIPA.
Old 01-08-2011, 09:27 PM   #18
bigliver
Cigarmurai

First Name: Jason
Trading: (9)
Bolivar AirForce (Served With Honor)
bigliver will become famous soon enough

Love me some IPAs

Lagunitas
Bear Republic Racer 5
Old 01-08-2011, 09:46 PM   #19
Bill86
Snob

Cohiba

Quote:
Originally Posted by hammondc View Post
120 is in a class by itself. There is absolutely nothing else like it. ~19% ABV. Closer to a wine than a beer. Freakin good though. I have a few on hand here with some age. I would call it a 4xIPA.
Indeed I only brought it up because it was the craziest IIPA out there. Pre 09 was 21%, they knocked it down to 18% now(09 and future). Rumor has it the 10/11 should be out soon. We'll see, I do like it a great deal I hope the 18% is just as good. It was my first craft beer so it holds a special place in my liver. I remember knocking out 3 of those bad boys a few months later....man that was a night I'll never remember. So tasty, yet so lethal.
Old 01-08-2011, 10:02 PM   #20
Wolfgang
Back from the dead

Trading: (14)
HdM
Wolfgang is a jewel in the roughWolfgang is a jewel in the roughWolfgang is a jewel in the roughWolfgang is a jewel in the rough

I may be the odd man out but really hoppy beers dont do much for me. Id much rather have a Boddingtons, Guiness, or any hefeveizen. t