Cigar Asylum Cigar Forum  

Go Back   Cigar Asylum Cigar Forum > Cigar Forums > Accessory Discussion / Reviews

Old 08-12-2010, 11:09 PM   #1
lawman

Default Accuracy of salt test calibration

I'm a newbie so please forgive me if this is so basic as to belong in the newbie section.

I performed the salt test as directed but only left everything in the bag for 12 hours as opposed to the 24 hours I've seen suggested in some places. My digital hygro registered 65%.

However, twice I've left the hygro outside over night and both time it was dead on with the local weather station's RH reading. What gives? Did I not perform the salt test long enough? Are different results to be expected when leaving the hygro outside?

This whole hygro accuracy/humidification level is necessary but it sure takes a lot of the fun out of this hobby.

HELP (and thank you, too)!
Old 08-12-2010, 11:56 PM   #2
stewshi
Adjusting to the Life

Trading: (23)
stewshi will become famous soon enough
Default Re: Accuracy of salt test calibration

24 hours is whats suggested and whats been proven to be the amount of time needed, you should try again with this amount of time it should read 75% .... also just because what the weather station suggests at their reading doesnt necessarily mean its that same as where you are.

If your still skeptical you can always just buy a boveda calibration pack for about $5 and use that. Best way and I believe its good for 3 months so you can calibrate a few hygrometers.
stewshi is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-13-2010, 01:12 AM   #3
druturn

I recommend using the boveda testing packs. Sure they are a few bucks, but the accuracy of them are well worth the trouble. Plus, they stay consistent for months, so you can test it later down the road if you would like to.
Old 08-13-2010, 04:10 AM   #4
longknocker
Postwhore

First Name: Greg
Trading: (82)
Cohiba
longknocker has a brilliant futurelongknocker has a brilliant futurelongknocker has a brilliant futurelongknocker has a brilliant futurelongknocker has a brilliant futurelongknocker has a brilliant futurelongknocker has a brilliant futurelongknocker has a brilliant futurelongknocker has a brilliant futurelongknocker has a brilliant futurelongknocker has a brilliant future

I Agree With The Boveda Pack Test. Never Could Get The Salt Test To Work After Multiple Tries.
longknocker is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-13-2010, 05:32 AM   #5
Wharf Rat
I'll get up and fly away

First Name: Bob
Trading: (7)
RA
Wharf Rat will become famous soon enoughWharf Rat will become famous soon enough

Quote:
Originally Posted by longknocker View Post
I Agree With The Boveda Pack Test. Never Could Get The Salt Test To Work After Multiple Tries.
Well, the Boveda Pak is just a premixed salt test. If you have trouble mixing your own, I'd go ahead and spend the money on a Boveda. If you're a do-it-your-selfer, save the money.

http://www.bovedadirect.com/products...cfm?ITEM_ID=12
Wharf Rat is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-13-2010, 06:10 AM   #6
bigdix
Cigarmurai

First Name: Dan
Trading: (1)
Trinidad AirForce (Active)
bigdix will become famous soon enough

If you have any of the HumidiPacks that often come with shipped cigars, throw the hygro in there for 18+ hours at room temp. The packs are +/- 1%, but usually pretty spot on. It will at least get your hygro to within 1%. Worked for me...and it was free...if you don't count the cost of a box or two of cigars.
Old 08-13-2010, 01:57 PM   #7
dwoodward
Gentlemen, you may smoke!

First Name: Derrick
Trading: (26)
HUpmann
dwoodward will become famous soon enoughdwoodward will become famous soon enough

The whole problem with the salt test is that if the consistency of the salt is off just slightly between tests, your hygrometer could have readings as far apart as 10%... I use the Boveda packets. They are easy and you know for sure what the RH is going to be.
dwoodward is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-14-2010, 05:07 AM   #8
longknocker
Postwhore

First Name: Greg
Trading: (82)
Cohiba
longknocker has a brilliant futurelongknocker has a brilliant futurelongknocker has a brilliant futurelongknocker has a brilliant futurelongknocker has a brilliant futurelongknocker has a brilliant futurelongknocker has a brilliant futurelongknocker has a brilliant futurelongknocker has a brilliant futurelongknocker has a brilliant futurelongknocker has a brilliant future

Quote:
Originally Posted by dwoodward View Post
The whole problem with the salt test is that if the consistency of the salt is off just slightly between tests, your hygrometer could have readings as far apart as 10%... I use the Boveda packets. They are easy and you know for sure what the RH is going to be.
longknocker is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-27-2011, 06:22 PM   #9
Tyler

I know this was posted a while ago but is anyone willing to trade for a Boveda pack or link me to where I can buy one? Thanks
Old 01-27-2011, 06:25 PM   #10
bobarian
Cranky Habanophile

Trading: (51)
ERdM
bobarian has disabled reputation

Quote:
Originally Posted by Wallbright View Post
I know this was posted a while ago but is anyone willing to trade for a Boveda pack or link me to where I can buy one? Thanks
http://heartfeltindustries.com/products.asp?cat=Boveda
bobarian is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-27-2011, 06:25 PM   #11
T.G
Grrrrrr

First Name: The Other Adam
Trading: (37)
Navy (Served With Honor)
T.G has disabled reputation

Quote:
Originally Posted by Wallbright View Post
Here you go...

http://lmgtfy.com/?q=boveda+pack
T.G is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-27-2011, 06:52 PM   #12
Tyler

Thanks Bobarian!

Haha and thank you oh wise Adam. The only reason I asked is to see where you guys get it from versus where would be a non reputable retailer or something.
Old 01-27-2011, 06:59 PM   #13
76GTFan
Full Blown Section 8

Trading: (9)
RA
76GTFan is on a distinguished road

Finally decided to do this vs the salt test. Got an additional Xikar hygrometer in route, so time to get it right. I trust my beads but tired of wondering if it is accurate or not. I had ZERO luck with the salt test, at least I still had my doubts.
76GTFan is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-27-2011, 07:05 PM   #14
ninjavanish
Feeling at Home

Trading: (16)
Bolivar
ninjavanish is a jewel in the roughninjavanish is a jewel in the roughninjavanish is a jewel in the roughninjavanish is a jewel in the rough

Not to discourage you... But I have very very serious doubts about the salt test. Not really the test itself but with hygrometers. Not trying to rain on Anyones parade here but I've never seen anything or any scientific source where the validity of the salt test has ever been proven accurate. And, even if I had seen such proof... It doesn't mean the hygros are reading properly. I've tried on more than one occasion (at least a dozen) to calibrate hygrometers using it with oftentimes terribly inaccurate or even impossibly false results... On several occasions testing up to 10 of the same exact model hygro... On others testing at least 7 different models of hygros... In the same test at once... Getting vastly different readings from each hygro even after calibrating.

The truth is... The only really reliable way (IMO) to tell if your cigars are at the right humidity is to feel your cigars. Feel them between your fingers... Smoke them, literally fondle them until you can pick up your favorite cigar and know by the way it feels if it is going to smoke the way you want it to.
ninjavanish is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-27-2011, 07:14 PM   #15
mscales

I keep doing the salt test and find that the outside ambient temp has a affect on the RH. So what is the ideal ambient temp for a salt test to get 75% RH?
Old 01-27-2011, 07:25 PM   #16
bobarian
Cranky Habanophile

Trading: (51)
ERdM
bobarian has disabled reputation

Quote:
Originally Posted by mscales View Post
I keep doing the salt test and find that the outside ambient temp has a affect on the RH. So what is the ideal ambient temp for a salt test to get 75% RH?
Temps in Celcius but easily converted. http://www.omega.com/temperature/z/pdf/z103.pdf

Clayton, the chemistry of aqueous solutions of various salts has been a laboratory standard for a very long time. The reason for variability is results is in the test method not the chemistry.
bobarian is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-27-2011, 07:28 PM   #17
chand
Adjusting to the Life

First Name: Damian
Trading: (22)
Bolivar Army (Served With Honor)
chand will become famous soon enough

Do yourself a favor and buy a Boveda calibration pack. The convenience, simplicity, and accuracy are well worth it.
chand is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-27-2011, 07:39 PM   #18
76GTFan
Full Blown Section 8

Trading: (9)
RA
76GTFan is on a distinguished road

Quote:
Originally Posted by bobarian View Post
Temps in Celcius but easily converted. http://www.omega.com/temperature/z/pdf/z103.pdf

Clayton, the chemistry of aqueous solutions of various salts has been a laboratory standard for a very long time. The reason for variability is results is in the test method not the chemistry.
I believe the scientific validity, but I fear there are too many variables in the common setting. Like others have stated, specific amounts of water to salt would be very helpful. And do different forms of salt make a difference?
76GTFan is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-27-2011, 07:47 PM   #19
Volusianator
Bikes, Babes & Cigars!

First Name: Wade
Trading: (17)
SCdlH
Volusianator has a spectacular aura aboutVolusianator has a spectacular aura about

According to Boveda, and I called the company personally and spoke to a rep, their kits are +/- 2 points at 70 degrees.
Old 01-27-2011, 08:04 PM   #20
mscales

All I know is I have had a Walmart digital running in a salt test since before Xmas along with a couple hygrometers. The digital RH moves more depending on the ambient outside temp. Colder outside the lower the humidity in the test container. The mechanical hygrometers have a little less change but they still change. So, I don't know what ambient temp is best for the salt test. Maybe it is 75 degrees?