Cigar Asylum Cigar Forum  

Go Back   Cigar Asylum Cigar Forum > Cigar Forums > Cigar Discussion > All Cigar Discussion

Old 02-09-2009, 08:14 PM   #1
karmaz00
Habanos

First Name: Jason
Trading: (1)
Partagas
karmaz00 is on a distinguished road
Default Oliva O robusto

well this is no review, but i had to share...i have a few of theses in the humi...im a huge fan of the oliva line...but the O not to sure...it was a little boring for me, but thats ME...the cigar was perfect in every way except for the flavors..just wasent getting anything off of it good.
the ash i tapped once, and that was because i had to, it was at the band and still standing, simply awesome. the draw and burn were also great.
but, the flavors just not there for me...i will smoke another one, to see if that changes me, but other then that, flawless.
anyone else in the same boat?
Old 02-09-2009, 08:37 PM   #2
Totemic
Still Watching My Back

Trading: (0)
Totemic is on a distinguished road
Default Re: Oliva O robusto

Yep, feel the same way about the Oliva O's.
Perfect draw, burn, etc... but the flavor is just a bit on the blah side.
I love the Serie 'G' Maduros and the V's (and the V Maduros) but for some odd reason, the O just don't do anything for me.
Totemic is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-09-2009, 08:58 PM   #3
acarr
Have My Own Room

Trading: (34)
acarr will become famous soon enough

I concur!
acarr is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-09-2009, 09:00 PM   #4
groogs
Have My Own Room

First Name: Grant
Trading: (62)
Trinidad
groogs will become famous soon enoughgroogs will become famous soon enough

I like the few Oliva O's I have smoked, but that was a few years ago, and I know my tastes have changed since then.
groogs is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-09-2009, 10:26 PM   #5
mikey burr
make em say UUUGGGHHHH!!!

First Name: mike
Bolivar
mikey burr has disabled reputation

have you tried the O maddies? super tasty one of my favs in the oliva line next to the V's and the master blend
Old 02-09-2009, 10:54 PM   #6
papajohn67
Reprobate From The 101st

papajohn67 is just really nicepapajohn67 is just really nicepapajohn67 is just really nicepapajohn67 is just really nice

Quote:
Originally Posted by karmaz00 View Post
well this is no review, but i had to share...i have a few of theses in the humi...im a huge fan of the oliva line...but the O not to sure...it was a little boring for me, but thats ME...the cigar was perfect in every way except for the flavors..just wasent getting anything off of it good.
the ash i tapped once, and that was because i had to, it was at the band and still standing, simply awesome. the draw and burn were also great.
but, the flavors just not there for me...i will smoke another one, to see if that changes me, but other then that, flawless.
anyone else in the same boat?
I'll be less than gentle....IMHO the newer "O" just plain sucks. Give me the old Bold line, the O Omni Classic, cigars they tossed in the crapper when they came out with their replacement.

Just my opinion but since I still have a healthy supply of the discontinued line and have smoked the newer "O" line I will stand my ground on this one.
papajohn67 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-10-2009, 07:54 AM   #7
rizzle
Order Restored

Trading: (23)
Bolivar
rizzle is a jewel in the roughrizzle is a jewel in the roughrizzle is a jewel in the roughrizzle is a jewel in the rough

The O I had I didn't like at all. I still have one with a maduro wrapper to give a try and if I don't like it I'll be done with that cigar.
rizzle is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-10-2009, 07:59 AM   #8
Volt
I'm nuts for the place

Trading: (19)
ERdM Navy (Retired)
Volt has disabled reputation

Quote:
Originally Posted by papajohn67 View Post
I'll be less than gentle....IMHO the newer "O" just plain sucks. Give me the old Bold line, the O Omni Classic, cigars they tossed in the crapper when they came out with their replacement.

Just my opinion but since I still have a healthy supply of the discontinued line and have smoked the newer "O" line I will stand my ground on this one.
we just scored some of the O Bold line.... Just what you said, Awesome. And while Oliva can keep saying the blend is the same, I say there is a huge difference.
Old 02-10-2009, 08:14 AM   #9
BengalMan
Have My Own Room

First Name: Ian
Trading: (10)
Cohiba
BengalMan will become famous soon enoughBengalMan will become famous soon enough

Check out the O maduro's if the O line is too bland for you, the maduro wrapper really kicks up the flavor.
BengalMan is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-10-2009, 08:24 AM   #10
Jsaucedo

The Problem I have had with the Serie O is that it always tends to leave a Coppery metallic after taste. Not fun, when you are trying to enjoy a nice drink or cup of coffee with your smoke.
Old 02-10-2009, 09:05 AM   #11
BengalMan
Have My Own Room

Cohiba
BengalMan will become famous soon enoughBengalMan will become famous soon enough

Quote:
Originally Posted by Jsaucedo View Post
The Problem I have had with the Serie O is that it always tends to leave a Coppery metallic after taste. Not fun, when you are trying to enjoy a nice drink or cup of coffee with your smoke.
Hmm, I smoke a ton of O's and have never had the flavor that you describe. Everyone's taste buds are different, smoke what you like, like what you smoke.
Old 02-10-2009, 09:16 AM   #12
borndead1
Ayatollah of Rock n Rolla

First Name: Mark
Trading: (7)
Partagas
borndead1 has a spectacular aura aboutborndead1 has a spectacular aura about

Weird....I like the newer Os. I do prefer the old "Grand Cameroon" blend over the Serie G though.
borndead1 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-10-2009, 12:55 PM   #13
papajohn67
Reprobate From The 101st

papajohn67 is just really nicepapajohn67 is just really nicepapajohn67 is just really nicepapajohn67 is just really nice

Quote:
Originally Posted by BengalMan View Post
Hmm, I smoke a ton of O's and have never had the flavor that you describe. Everyone's taste buds are different, smoke what you like, like what you smoke.
Obviously tastes differ among cigar fans but I find it odd that almost anyone I have shared the Oliva discontinued line of cigars with have clearly favored the old blends over the newer O line. Heck maybe it's them sitting in the humi for 3 or 4years, or perhaps it's just a yearning for a nice Bold Ole. I will say that online yesterday I scored a box of Oliva Omni Classics (6x50) and could not have been happier. Smoked one from my collection a couple of weeks ago and it was great!! Blows the newer O replacement line right out of the water.

Course this is all just my humble opinion.
Old 02-10-2009, 01:09 PM   #14
BengalMan
Have My Own Room

Cohiba

Quote:
Originally Posted by papajohn67 View Post
Obviously tastes differ among cigar fans but I find it odd that almost anyone I have shared the Oliva discontinued line of cigars with have clearly favored the old blends over the newer O line. Heck maybe it's them sitting in the humi for 3 or 4years, or perhaps it's just a yearning for a nice Bold Ole. I will say that online yesterday I scored a box of Oliva Omni Classics (6x50) and could not have been happier. Smoked one from my collection a couple of weeks ago and it was great!! Blows the newer O replacement line right out of the water.

Course this is all just my humble opinion.
We heard you earlier in the thread. We all know your an O Bold and O Classic whore.
Old 02-10-2009, 01:58 PM   #15
TimS

I agree with Ian. You can't beat the G maduro. It is one of our best selling cigars. Great flavor and under 5 bucks.
Old 02-10-2009, 02:00 PM   #16
TimS

Ian, will the Nub Maduro be out for the our tasting on the 26th?

Tim
Old 02-10-2009, 02:51 PM   #17
papajohn67
Reprobate From The 101st

Quote:
Originally Posted by BengalMan View Post
We heard you earlier in the thread. We all know your an O Bold and O Classic whore.
Ok you spanked me....this old Oliva "whore" will now go stand in the corner and take some time out.
Old 02-10-2009, 03:29 PM   #18
Thrak
.. the man from Nantucket

Trading: (2)
HUpmann
Thrak is on a distinguished road

I'm smoking one right now... a little mild compared to what I've been trying lately, but not as bad as some of you are making it out to be.

granted, I never tried the "old" O so I have nothing to compare it to in that regard.
Thrak is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-10-2009, 03:52 PM   #19
hsmunoz
Still Watching My Back

hsmunoz is on a distinguished road

I really enjoy the O maduro in a Robusto. I think the flavors are there, with a definite sweetness that I enjoy. I have some pretty good stock in the ol Humi, and I never hesitate to grab one of these, especially when I want to know I will have a good smoke.
hsmunoz is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-10-2009, 04:34 PM   #20
TripleF
11/11/11 EPIC IV

First Name: Scott
Trading: (176)
TripleF is a splendid one to beholdTripleF is a splendid one to beholdTripleF is a splendid one to beholdTripleF is a splendid one to beholdTripleF is a splendid one to beholdTripleF is a splendid one to beholdTripleF is a splendid one to behold

Quote:
Originally Posted by mikey burr View Post
have you tried the O maddies? super tasty one of my favs in the oliva line next to the V's and the master blend

Have to agree!! Love the O Maddies!!
TripleF is offline   Reply With Quote