Cigar Asylum Cigar Forum  

Go Back   Cigar Asylum Cigar Forum > Non Cigar Specialty Forums > Misc > General Discussion

Old 01-23-2012, 08:19 PM   #1
hotreds
Ephesians 2:8

Trading: (63)
Bolivar
hotreds has disabled reputation
Default My wireless router died- what do I replace with?

I had a D-link for a number of years- today it was dead when I came home. I need to replace ASAP for my ROKU- any suggestions? Might get one of the 'bay or buy one at Wally World tomorrow, not sure.

Need the advice of the pros on here- what do I buy that isn't too expensive? Don't have any special needs, but want to get something decent.

Wuill I have to reset everything when I replace the router?

Is buying a used device a no-no?
Old 01-23-2012, 08:48 PM   #2
colinb913
Workin' at a Cigar Shop

First Name: Colin
Trading: (1)
Partagas
colinb913 is on a distinguished road
Default Re: My wireless router died- what do I replace with?

I personally wouldn't buy a used router, but thats just me. What exactly is "too expensive"? I have a Cisco (Linksys) Dual Band Wireless-N ---This one.

I got it for about seventy bucks in store, with a coupon from my reward zone card. It's a great router, and hasn't given me any troubles. We have two PS3s, three xboxs, a Wii, three laptops, two ipads, my cell phone, two blu ray players, two desktops, and two TVs (all that I can recall at the moment) that are linked up to it. Not necessarily at the same time, but it's a safe bet that at least four devices are using it at once at any given time.

I haven't experienced any lag, or dropped connections with it. It works upstairs, and downstairs with only one dead spot which is in the back storage room, where our furnace, and water heater are located.

In my opinion, this will suit you perfectly in case you do want to expand at a later date, and for now it will do you wonders.

Just my
Old 01-23-2012, 08:54 PM   #3
JoeCool87TC
Relaxing in Paradise...

First Name: Joe
Trading: (4)
Partagas
JoeCool87TC is on a distinguished road

I've had good success with the inexpensive Rosewill Router I bought to replace my old Linksys when it died last June.

You'll probably have to re-introduce your wireless devices to the new router even if you set it up exactly like the old one since the MAC will be different. That was my experience anyway.

HTH
JoeCool87TC is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-23-2012, 08:54 PM   #4
Bill86
Snob

First Name: Bill
Trading: (67)
Cohiba
Bill86 is a name known to allBill86 is a name known to allBill86 is a name known to allBill86 is a name known to allBill86 is a name known to allBill86 is a name known to all

Routers tend to just burn up after a while, I haven't had one that stands out in probably 7 years. I wouldn't buy a used one either.

What is your price range you want to work with?
Old 01-23-2012, 09:01 PM   #5
hotreds

Bolivar

Closer to $50 than $100. I'm liking that Rosewill! Will I notice any improvement with a new router since mine is an older DI-624? I won't EVER need all that many options, Colin!
Old 01-23-2012, 09:16 PM   #6
colinb913
Workin' at a Cigar Shop

First Name: Colin
Trading: (1)
Partagas
colinb913 is on a distinguished road

Since the technology will be a bit more up-to-date, you should see a little improved speed over the network, not necessarily on web pages though (that has more to do with your ISP). But the connection from your router to computer/device should improve.
Old 01-23-2012, 09:30 PM   #7
emopunker2004
Central Fla rollin

First Name: Justin
Trading: (46)
HdM
emopunker2004 is a name known to allemopunker2004 is a name known to allemopunker2004 is a name known to allemopunker2004 is a name known to allemopunker2004 is a name known to allemopunker2004 is a name known to all

Quote:
Originally Posted by hotreds View Post
I had a D-link for a number of years- today it was dead when I came home. I need to replace ASAP for my ROKU- any suggestions? Might get one of the 'bay or buy one at Wally World tomorrow, not sure.

Need the advice of the pros on here- what do I buy that isn't too expensive? Don't have any special needs, but want to get something decent.

Wuill I have to reset everything when I replace the router?

Is buying a used device a no-no?
Was it the Router or the power source? I have a 2-wire that is my router and modem for ATT. Mine went out and I called their CS and they overnighted me a new cord and it runs like a champ. just a thought.
Old 01-23-2012, 09:32 PM   #8
elderboy02
Lets Go Buckeyes!

First Name: Dan
Trading: (133)
Bolivar
elderboy02 has much to be proud ofelderboy02 has much to be proud ofelderboy02 has much to be proud ofelderboy02 has much to be proud ofelderboy02 has much to be proud ofelderboy02 has much to be proud ofelderboy02 has much to be proud ofelderboy02 has much to be proud of

I love Netgear's stuff
elderboy02 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-23-2012, 10:01 PM   #9
Skywalker
BABOTL

First Name: Dice
Trading: (18)
Partagas
Skywalker has much to be proud ofSkywalker has much to be proud ofSkywalker has much to be proud ofSkywalker has much to be proud ofSkywalker has much to be proud ofSkywalker has much to be proud ofSkywalker has much to be proud ofSkywalker has much to be proud of

Quote:
Originally Posted by colinb913 View Post
I personally wouldn't buy a used router, but thats just me. What exactly is "too expensive"? I have a Cisco (Linksys) Dual Band Wireless-N ---This one.

I got it for about seventy bucks in store, with a coupon from my reward zone card. It's a great router, and hasn't given me any troubles. We have two PS3s, three xboxs, a Wii, three laptops, two ipads, my cell phone, two blu ray players, two desktops, and two TVs (all that I can recall at the moment) that are linked up to it. Not necessarily at the same time, but it's a safe bet that at least four devices are using it at once at any given time.

I haven't experienced any lag, or dropped connections with it. It works upstairs, and downstairs with only one dead spot which is in the back storage room, where our furnace, and water heater are located.

In my opinion, this will suit you perfectly in case you do want to expand at a later date, and for now it will do you wonders.

Just my
I have the same router! Works great!

Smoke what you like!!!
Skywalker is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-23-2012, 10:28 PM   #10
CigarNut
F*ck Cancer!

First Name: Michael
Trading: (111)
RA
CigarNut has disabled reputation

I like the Netgear Wireless N routers... They are reliable and the range of the wireless is outstanding!

2 of 3 Requirements for use of the CA Rolodex: 100 posts/ 60 day membership/ participation in trade (trader rating). New members can be added at any time.
CigarNut is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-23-2012, 10:38 PM   #11
deadrise
The Manhattan Project

First Name: Jason
Trading: (24)
Partagas
deadrise has a spectacular aura aboutdeadrise has a spectacular aura about

newegg

you know there is going to be a lot of replies for different makes and models my suggestion is to look at the link sort it from most reviews to best reviews
read some of the reviews and make a choice you can live with.
I personally have a dlink 655 (gigabyte lan) but I always liked my linksys WRT54GL for a basic router it is good been around for years not hard to set up and for 50 bucks it is a good stable router
Old 01-23-2012, 10:44 PM   #12
pnoon
YNWA

First Name: Peter
Trading: (20)
RA
pnoon has disabled reputation

Quote:
Originally Posted by deadrise View Post
newegg

you know there is going to be a lot of replies for different makes and models my suggestion is to look at the link sort it from most reviews to best reviews
read some of the reviews and make a choice you can live with.
I personally have a dlink 655 (gigabyte lan) but I always liked my linksys WRT54GL for a basic router it is good been around for years not hard to set up and for 50 bucks it is a good stable router
Hugh - I have had this router for a long time. Simple to use and very reliable.
Old 01-24-2012, 05:02 AM   #13
jledou
Have My Own Room

First Name: Jay
Trading: (27)
Punch
jledou has a spectacular aura aboutjledou has a spectacular aura aboutjledou has a spectacular aura about

I have had good luck with Netgear and with Linksys. I needed an inexpensive one for my parents house for when we visit and ended up with a Tenda (http://www.microcenter.com/single_pr...uct_id=0316232) for $25 - only used it for about 4 days and just installed in December but I was pleasantly surprised with it.
jledou is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-24-2012, 06:11 AM   #14
Eleven
Solid As The Sun

First Name: Scott
Trading: (23)
Eleven has a spectacular aura aboutEleven has a spectacular aura aboutEleven has a spectacular aura about

I'm getting in on this thread. I have the D-Link 624 as well, so it will be good to know what the options are when the time comes for me to replace it.

CA: putting the 'man' in bromance since 2008! --markem.
Eleven is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-24-2012, 07:10 AM   #15
ktblunden
Adjusting to the Life

First Name: Kevin
Trading: (6)
RA
ktblunden is on a distinguished road

I've used Linksys, Netgear, and D-Link and the one that held up the best for me was D-Link. I steer friends toward D-Link as well and we've all had good luck with them. Just as with any electronic product none of them will last forever.
ktblunden is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-24-2012, 07:34 AM   #16
hotreds

Bolivar

Thanks to all!
Old 01-24-2012, 02:54 PM   #17
emopunker2004
Central Fla rollin

First Name: Justin
Trading: (46)
HdM
emopunker2004 is a name known to allemopunker2004 is a name known to allemopunker2004 is a name known to allemopunker2004 is a name known to allemopunker2004 is a name known to allemopunker2004 is a name known to all

Glad I could help you out Hugh. $10 for a plug sure is a steal compared to a new router eh?
Old 01-24-2012, 04:35 PM   #18
hotreds

Bolivar

Indeed! I was also not looking forward to having to reprogram a bunch of stuff. However, I'm wondering if a new router might help me with my Netflix streaming that at times is HORRIBLE!
Old 01-24-2012, 05:11 PM   #19
BlindedByScience
Proud USMC Dad

First Name: Tom
Trading: (0)
BlindedByScience will become famous soon enough

It's going to be pretty hard to go wrong with any of the name brands; Linksys, Netgear, D-link, even Rosewill (NewEgg's house brand).

For our new house, I put one of these Linksys wireless routers in....and I absolutely love it. I paid $40.00 more for mine... Works fantastically, easy to recommend.
Old 01-24-2012, 05:39 PM   #20
CigarNut
F*ck Cancer!

First Name: Michael
Trading: (111)
RA
CigarNut has disabled reputation

Quote:
Originally Posted by hotreds View Post
Indeed! I was also not looking forward to having to reprogram a bunch of stuff. However, I'm wondering if a new router might help me with my Netflix streaming that at times is HORRIBLE!
How's your internet bandwidth? It may be that a new router won't do a thing... If your internet bandwidth is better than you typically see on your computer then the upgrade might be worth it...

What wireless band are you using on your computer (G, N, etc.). N is about the fastest you can cheaply get these days.

You can always buy a new router and if it does not help, return it...

2 of 3 Requirements for use of the CA Rolodex: 100 posts/ 60 day membership/ participation in trade (trader rating). New members can be added at any time.
CigarNut is offline   Reply With Quote