Cigar Asylum Cigar Forum  

Go Back   Cigar Asylum Cigar Forum > Non Cigar Specialty Forums > Misc > General Discussion

Old 01-24-2012, 05:50 PM   #21
BlindedByScience
Proud USMC Dad

First Name: Tom
Trading: (0)
BlindedByScience will become famous soon enough
Default Re: My wireless router died- what do I replace with?

Quote:
Originally Posted by CigarNut View Post
How's your internet bandwidth? It may be that a new router won't do a thing...
...since the old one is dead, a new one should work far better.....

Just a thought.....
Old 01-24-2012, 07:34 PM   #22
emopunker2004
Central Fla rollin

First Name: Justin
Trading: (46)
HdM
emopunker2004 is a name known to allemopunker2004 is a name known to allemopunker2004 is a name known to allemopunker2004 is a name known to allemopunker2004 is a name known to allemopunker2004 is a name known to all

Quote:
Originally Posted by BlindedByScience View Post
...since the old one is dead, a new one should work far better.....

Just a thought.....
Ah but it's not dead! It was the power cord as I had mentioned.
Old 01-24-2012, 07:36 PM   #23
emopunker2004
Central Fla rollin

First Name: Justin
Trading: (46)
HdM
emopunker2004 is a name known to allemopunker2004 is a name known to allemopunker2004 is a name known to allemopunker2004 is a name known to allemopunker2004 is a name known to allemopunker2004 is a name known to all

Quote:
Originally Posted by hotreds View Post
Indeed! I was also not looking forward to having to reprogram a bunch of stuff. However, I'm wondering if a new router might help me with my Netflix streaming that at times is HORRIBLE!
If it will help, at least you don't have to go and buy a new one NOW. At least your old one is functioning so you can make an educated decision on a new one if you so desire.
Old 01-24-2012, 10:24 PM   #24
ucubed
Corona Cigars

First Name: Kevin
Trading: (15)
ucubed is a jewel in the roughucubed is a jewel in the roughucubed is a jewel in the rough

Well if your router is a pre N routers, then an almost any upgrade to an N router will benefit. If you have a lot of electronics I would suggest a dual band router. Depending on how many things are going on (streaming on multiple computers/tvs at the same time, video gaming) then a higher end router makes quite a big difference. Right now, performance wise, I trust Cisco, Netgear, and Asus, though D-Link has always been pretty good. Some cheaper dual bands http://www.amazon.com/NETGEAR-Wirele...7468684&sr=8-1
http://www.amazon.com/E2500-Advanced...7469156&sr=8-9
http://www.newegg.com/Product/Produc...sys-_-33124388

Though they might be a little out of your range...

If you want a single band... http://www.amazon.com/Cisco-E1200-Li...7469156&sr=8-5
http://www.amazon.com/Cisco-Linksys-...469156&sr=8-10

If you don't mind refurbished. Although I've had many issue with refurbished routers before... http://www.amazon.com/Cisco-Linksys-...7469446&sr=1-3

Last edited by ucubed; 01-24-2012 at 10:35 PM.
ucubed is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-25-2012, 08:53 AM   #25
hotreds
Ephesians 2:8

Trading: (63)
Bolivar
hotreds has disabled reputation

Basically a ROKU, laptop, and Wii are conneted to the router. I don't think it is an "N." I have cable internet, theoretically pretty fast. Tests show me at 23mb/s, lot better than dial-up, anyway.
Old 01-25-2012, 09:14 AM   #26
Thrak
.. the man from Nantucket

Trading: (2)
HUpmann
Thrak is on a distinguished road

G or N wont make much difference when pulling data from the internet (ie - netflix) because you are limited by your external connection.

20mb from your cable is less than half of what G can push (54mb/s), so you wont hurt yourself using the G band.

I use a Cisco E3000 and Netgear WNDR3300 and have had good results with both. The E3000 is setup such that the G band is for all the random devices (phones, laptops, tablets, desktops, etc) and the N band is for media only (streaming HD movies/tv to WDLive or PS3, or pulling on-demand stuff down from directv) using the WNDR as a wireless bridge to my entertainment center.
Thrak is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-25-2012, 09:18 AM   #27
jledou
Have My Own Room

First Name: Jay
Trading: (27)
Punch
jledou has a spectacular aura aboutjledou has a spectacular aura aboutjledou has a spectacular aura about

A couple of times I have noticed connections dropping in and out with older wireless routers which may be what you're experiencing, it may also be a dead zone, interference or just a weak signal where the items are located. Looking at the signal strength moving your laptop around the house may determine this.
Could also be the isp dropping the stream in and out. This would be possible if more than one device has a glitch at the same time or if it happens say at the same time period every night or day. May be overload on their system or could be the modem they gave you going out/old.
Just some thoughts on things to check into.
jledou is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-25-2012, 11:38 AM   #28
kickerb

Quote:
Originally Posted by hotreds View Post
Indeed! I was also not looking forward to having to reprogram a bunch of stuff. However, I'm wondering if a new router might help me with my Netflix streaming that at times is HORRIBLE!
most routers will let you export the settings, that way if you upgrade with the same brand, your settings will migrate easily.

i'm a huge fan of D-link, had mine for years with no problems
Old 01-25-2012, 03:39 PM   #29
ucubed
Corona Cigars

First Name: Kevin
Trading: (15)
ucubed is a jewel in the roughucubed is a jewel in the roughucubed is a jewel in the rough

Quote:
Originally Posted by Thrak View Post
G or N wont make much difference when pulling data from the internet (ie - netflix) because you are limited by your external connection.

20mb from your cable is less than half of what G can push (54mb/s), so you wont hurt yourself using the G band.

I use a Cisco E3000 and Netgear WNDR3300 and have had good results with both. The E3000 is setup such that the G band is for all the random devices (phones, laptops, tablets, desktops, etc) and the N band is for media only (streaming HD movies/tv to WDLive or PS3, or pulling on-demand stuff down from directv) using the WNDR as a wireless bridge to my entertainment center.
Essentially no, but it will provide better range and effectiveness/reliability at said ranges
ucubed is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-25-2012, 04:16 PM   #30
Thrak
.. the man from Nantucket

Trading: (2)
HUpmann
Thrak is on a distinguished road

Quote:
Originally Posted by ucubed View Post
Essentially no, but it will provide better range and effectiveness/reliability at said ranges
Not necessarily... 5ghz N is not as good at penetrating walls due to its higher frequency. If you run it at 2.4ghz you'll overlap with G and could get interference.

Of course each situation is different and should be evaluated individually.

In any case, unless you've monitored and identified G as your limitation, it should do fine for the vast majority of home users. My movie streaming spikes over 80mbps routinely, so I had to move that segment to N to avoid stuttering and pauses.
Thrak is offline   Reply With Quote