Cigar Asylum Cigar Forum  

Go Back   Cigar Asylum Cigar Forum > Non Cigar Specialty Forums > Misc > General Discussion

Old 12-24-2009, 04:42 AM   #1
kzm007

Default Trouble returning merchandise to WalMart - help?

Last night at Wal-Mart, I paid for two $200 gift cards, and then decided it wasn't necessary to give out both cards, nor at such a high value. So, as soon as I checked out, receipt in hand, I limped down the floor and went into customer service - immediately after, I checked out mind you I literally walked from the register to the department after speaking for a second with mom, who told me to lower the price on the cards.

I went in and politely asked them to erase one of the cards, and please leave $25 on the other as my Christmas gift, giving me back the $375 remainder (of my own money).

The Customer Service lady tells me that it's not store policy to cash out cards because, as I understood her, people were getting the cards as gifts, cashing them in, and I assumed then spending the money elsewhere, somewhere they weren't getting screwed over by their Walmarts. I say screwed over because I go to two different stores, who each often have two different prices for the same goods, and they're only twenty minutes apart in PA and NY.

Both of these stores naturally carry goods made in and then imported from China. I understand it's a business and they need to turn a profit, that the Chinese need work, too, but I hate shopping in stores any more. Outsource and import from the same country seems silly, but it's a business model.

So back to my issue, now I have a $25 gift card to give away and $375 of "Wal-mart only" money that I feel I should be allowed to cash back into my own pocket.

I'm going back and asking for the store manager, because that just seems ridiculous to me - I picked up the cards, filled them, never wrote on them, and still with my receipts in hand, I couldn't return the goods - just let me put the cards back on the shelf, and give me my money.

What do you all think? Are there any Wal-mart customer service workers, or Wal-mart managers out there who'd care to advise me please?

And people, this season, and always until it's expired KEEP THE RECEIPT handy!

Kegan

EDIT: This is my defense:

1. Two Wal-Mart gift cards were purchased, and I asked the cashier in electronics to place $200 apiece on them, which she did.

2. Walking out of the electronics department, I had a change of heart concerning the amounts, and went into the customer service department.

3. I asked the woman at the desk if I could return one of the gift cards for a cash refund, and lower the second card down to $25 to give as a gift. This would leave me with $375 of my own money as a remainder.

4. The saleslady and her supervisor both informed me that it was not Wal-Mart store policy to accept returns on gift cards – allegedly because people were returning cards they had been given as gifts, and claiming the money.

5. I showed them the receipt stating I had just purchased the cards moments earlier, and explained that I had literally pulled them from the shelf, and had them filled before I decided that two cards of such high value were unnecessary. There was not a scratch worth mentioning on either of the cards, the silver strips were untouched, and no price had been written on either of the cards.

6. It is my reasoning that since the cards were purchased in a Wal-Mart store this makes them an item sold at that store and by logic, Wal-Mart merchandise.

7. There is no expiration date on a Wal-Mart receipt, anywhere at all, to my understanding. An item may be returned if a customer is dissatisfied with it – such as if clothing doesn’t meet their needs, etc., or if it is in unusable condition. Defective products are either exchanged for that same product, or the buyer may be given store credit.

8. In my instance, it therefore appears I was essentially given a “store credit” of $375. However, I am simply not satisfied with the product in question – it does not meet my needs, and it is still in a condition worth selling, as new. It is neither damaged, nor defective and I wish to return it for a full refund.

9. I understand that there may be a problem with people returning gift cards they have received as gifts, and turning them in for a monetary refund, that seems to be how it was explained to me. But in this case, it is an item I purchased personally, and it is unused and in no way defective or damaged.

It is technically simply Wal-Mart merchandise in this instance, and with my proof of purchase, my receipts, I would like to have it returned for a full refund.

Last edited by kzm007; 12-24-2009 at 04:50 AM. Reason: Written out in Word.
Old 12-24-2009, 04:56 AM   #2
shilala
Dear Lord, Thank You.

First Name: Scott
Trading: (252)
Cuaba
shilala has a reputation beyond reputeshilala has a reputation beyond reputeshilala has a reputation beyond reputeshilala has a reputation beyond reputeshilala has a reputation beyond reputeshilala has a reputation beyond reputeshilala has a reputation beyond reputeshilala has a reputation beyond reputeshilala has a reputation beyond reputeshilala has a reputation beyond reputeshilala has a reputation beyond repute
Default Re: Trouble returning merchandise to WalMart - hel

In the last three days, I have whipped out so much shilala charm that they're gonna name this holiday after me.
I'd have came out of there with my money, and we'd have worked out a new "policy".
I just have absolute zero tolerance for this sort of crap.
I even gave the debit card cafety company hell yesterday because the message they left me was vague and spammy.
The reason we get treated like this is because we all act like lemmings nowadays.
Get the balls out. It's Christmas.
Old 12-24-2009, 05:00 AM   #3
kzm007

Taken directly from http://walmartstores.com/7658.aspx:

Q: Do you accept RETURNS without a receipt?

A: Walmart, for several years, has accepted returns without a receipt, even though many of our competitors require receipts for all returns. Walmart gives customers the option of a cash refund (if the purchase was under $25), a shopping card for the amount of the purchase (if it was over $25), a credit to the customer's credit card or an even exchange for the product. Also, as applicable, we follow any manufacturer’s warranties.

The card was a "purchase" at the store, and nowhere in the returns policy can I see a restriction or a prohibition on returning gift cards. Whatcha think, Scott?

And there is a 90 day return limit, but that's a moot point.
Old 12-24-2009, 05:12 AM   #4
shilala
Dear Lord, Thank You.

First Name: Scott
Trading: (252)
Cuaba
shilala has a reputation beyond reputeshilala has a reputation beyond reputeshilala has a reputation beyond reputeshilala has a reputation beyond reputeshilala has a reputation beyond reputeshilala has a reputation beyond reputeshilala has a reputation beyond reputeshilala has a reputation beyond reputeshilala has a reputation beyond reputeshilala has a reputation beyond reputeshilala has a reputation beyond repute

Had I had a receipt in hand and wanted my cash back, I'd have had it.
By the time I was done, the cops probably would have arrived, and I'd have my picture on the wall.
I'd have my money, though.
I'm just not afraid to stick up for myself, and I refuse to get hosed down.
You were totally in the right, especially because you had the receipt in hand.
Old 12-24-2009, 05:22 AM   #5
baldanders
Still Watching My Back

First Name: Jim
Trading: (4)
Partagas
baldanders is on a distinguished road

Think you are out of luck.Electronic and plastic Gift Cards: Not returnable or refundable for cash, except in states where required by law.
http://www.walmart.com/returns
Old 12-24-2009, 05:24 AM   #6
kzm007

Well...in that case, does anyone know where I can find NY State's policy on this?

I don't mean to fuss, I just don't care for Wal-Mart when I can often get the item cheaper online, with a good returns policy. Wal-Mart won't price match anything but a local competitor's vprinted price.

And I certainly don't want to spend $375 in one place, if I can't do so wisely, like online pricing lets me do.

But thank you for the assistance, Jim.

Last edited by kzm007; 12-24-2009 at 05:30 AM.
Old 12-24-2009, 05:36 AM   #7
baldanders
Still Watching My Back

Partagas

If it helps you can use it at Sams Club and here is NY state's policy.
http://www.osc.state.ny.us/giftcards.htm
Old 12-24-2009, 05:40 AM   #8
GreekGodX
Opa!!

First Name: Christos
Trading: (82)
Montecristo
GreekGodX is a glorious beacon of lightGreekGodX is a glorious beacon of lightGreekGodX is a glorious beacon of lightGreekGodX is a glorious beacon of lightGreekGodX is a glorious beacon of lightGreekGodX is a glorious beacon of light

I would say if you dealt with the manager and explained to them what happened you should get your money back. You paid for it and have the receipt. Keep insisting that you should get your money back. It will happen
Old 12-24-2009, 05:46 AM   #9
kzm007

Jim, Sam's Club is a membership club, and we have none nearby, so it's pointless, unless I decide to go online.

Christos, you're probably right, and I may do that. Now that I've calmed down a little, it doesn't seem too bad, just an irk.

I can't drive myself, and I'd rather see the manager in person than simply call him up; it would be easier to explain things.

Furthermore, Jim, I just found the same link it led me to http://public.leginfo.state.ny.us/menugetf.cgi

Here's hoping.
Old 12-24-2009, 05:55 AM   #10
kzm007

Okay, I see nothing in those laws pertaining to cash back for retailer gift cards. Anyone in the legal field from the state of New York care to advise, maybe?

All I want to know is "Am I legally entitled to a cash refund for returning an UNUSED gift card bought from a retailer, that I myself have purchased personally?" - Receipts in hand show the cards bought, and I have another showing $25 - this was the transferred amount.

And looking at the backs of these, she did write the prices on them. Somehow, I think they could argue that this makes them damaged goods, but I never asked her to write the prices on the backs, so it was the cashier's doing, not mine.

Sigh. Anyone else care to chime in?
Old 12-24-2009, 06:04 AM   #11
14holestogie
Serial banter killer

First Name: Tim
Trading: (52)
Partagas
14holestogie is a splendid one to behold14holestogie is a splendid one to behold14holestogie is a splendid one to behold14holestogie is a splendid one to behold14holestogie is a splendid one to behold14holestogie is a splendid one to behold14holestogie is a splendid one to behold

Quote:
Originally Posted by kzm007 View Post

And looking at the backs of these, she did write the prices on them. Somehow, I think they could argue that this makes them damaged goods, but I never asked her to write the prices on the backs, so it was the cashier's doing, not mine.

Sigh. Anyone else care to chime in?
Those blank gift cards are probably worth $.25. No reason not to get your money back.
Old 12-24-2009, 06:12 AM   #12
baldanders
Still Watching My Back

Partagas

Found this don't know if it helps.Off to bed and good luck!
http://www.rimmkaufman.com/content/b...tcertchart.pdf

All advertisements or promotions for gift certificates shall include a notice in like or similar term to the following:
“TERMS AND CONDITIONS ARE APPLIED TO GIFT CERTIFICATES/GIFT CARDS”.” Law of New York §
396-i(2-a)
The terms and conditions of a gift certificate store credit shall be clearly and conspicuously stated thereon. Terms and
conditions shall include the expiration date, whether any fees are assessed against the balance of the gift certificate,
and whether a fee will be charged for the replacement of a gift certificate that is lost, stolen, or destroyed. Additional
terms and conditions including, but not be limited to, policies related to refunds, warranties, changes in terms and
conditions, assignment and waiver shall be conspicuously printed: (a) on the gift certificate; or (b) on an envelope or
packaging containing the gift certificate, provided that a toll free telephone number to access the additional terms and
conditions is printed on the gift certificate; or (c) on an accompanying printed document, provided that a toll free
telephone number to access the additional terms and conditions is printed on the gift certificate. Laws of New York §
396-i(3)
Gift Cards – Gift cards are covered under the definition of “gift certificate”. Laws of New York § 396-i(1)
Old 12-24-2009, 06:25 AM   #13
Barteur
Golf is life

First Name: Eric
Trading: (18)
Cohiba
Barteur will become famous soon enough

Could you buy something at 400$ with your cards and get immediate riembursement? I am telling you this because once I bought to my dad, for father's day a Dewalt Drill at 199$ one week later was 149$ wanted to get the credit never got it. Returned the drill at 199$ for full refund and bought to one at 149$ at lot of logistic but principles are principles and 50$ is 50$.

Good luck!
Old 12-24-2009, 07:42 AM   #14
icehog3
Admiral Douchebag

First Name: Tom
Trading: (61)
HUpmann
icehog3 has disabled reputation

Quote:
Originally Posted by Barteur View Post
Could you buy something at 400$ with your cards and get immediate riembursement? I am telling you this because once I bought to my dad, for father's day a Dewalt Drill at 199$ one week later was 149$ wanted to get the credit never got it. Returned the drill at 199$ for full refund and bought to one at 149$ at lot of logistic but principles are principles and 50$ is 50$.

Good luck!
That was going to be my suggestion...there is your best chance, since it appears they are not legally obligated to refund your money for a gift card purchase. But from what is appears, looks like they may only give you store credit (because the purchase will be over $25), so it might not work.

Thanks Dave, Julian, James, Kelly, Peter, Gerry, Dave, Mo, Frank, Týr and Mr. Mark!
icehog3 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-24-2009, 07:54 AM   #15
mikeyj23
Feeling at Home

First Name: Michael
Trading: (10)
HUpmann
mikeyj23 will become famous soon enough

If store policy says you can't return gift cards, then it is what it is. It's certainly not illegal for them to enforce that policy. Even if they did return it, they'd probably only give you store credit, which would come in the form of...a gift card. Seems to me like it's just one of those mistakes where you punch yourself afterward, but deal with it and move on. Use the giftcards gradually over the next five years - anytime you need toothpaste, use the giftcard at Wal-Mart. Need a gallon of milk, use the giftcard. They'll probably go faster than you think.
mikeyj23 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-24-2009, 08:06 AM   #16
RevSmoke
Ain't Never Gonna Leave

First Name: Todd
Trading: (51)
HUpmann
RevSmoke has a brilliant futureRevSmoke has a brilliant futureRevSmoke has a brilliant futureRevSmoke has a brilliant futureRevSmoke has a brilliant futureRevSmoke has a brilliant futureRevSmoke has a brilliant futureRevSmoke has a brilliant futureRevSmoke has a brilliant futureRevSmoke has a brilliant futureRevSmoke has a brilliant future

Just so you know, the prices in the different stores - 20 minutes apart - has nothing to do with WalMart pricing but everything to do with the prevailing tariffs (taxes) in the different states. You said one was in PA and one in NY? So, at least give them that slack.

As for the other issues, you have some good advice already going.

God's blessings upon you and yours for a wonderful Christmas.
Old 12-24-2009, 08:13 AM   #17
Tikihut27
Learned to Love the Bomb

Trading: (3)
Army (Retired)
Tikihut27 has a spectacular aura aboutTikihut27 has a spectacular aura about

I worked in retail for a dozen years or so in a variey of management positions.

Retailers have policies like this in place NOT to make sure you spend your money in their store. They are in place to make it hard for scammers to rip off the store/others.

CASH is where it's at, right? Turning a check or plastic into cash is easy to do if you have the funds to back it up. Bank/ATM will work. But for people who don't have the funds...

So say you use a stolen card or one gotten through identity theft. You use it once to buy gift cards, then cash in the gift cards for pics of your buddy Ben. Sweet!

So policies like this are in place to make it hard to use stolen plastic/checks to get cash. Fortunately, many store managers have the ability to override policy- and if they don't, regional/national management does. Talk to the store manager (not just any manager- the store manager. I think at WalMart they are called General Managers). If that doesn't work, ask for the regional manager's address and send off a letter.

They shouldn't be willing to PO an honest customer.
Old 12-24-2009, 08:34 AM   #18
Hippi3Slay3r
ಥ_ಥ

First Name: Kyle
Trading: (22)
Bolivar
Hippi3Slay3r will become famous soon enoughHippi3Slay3r will become famous soon enough

As an employee of Wal-Mart I can tell you that you can get your money just demand to see the Store manager (Not an Assistant or Co) because they can override any "Store Policy" they want. And if that doesnt work ask for a regional managers number they will more then likely help you just to get you out. Now to take the other side I'm not trying to be a d**k but $400. is a good chunck of cash its best to plan ahead haveing a change of heart 2 feet fro the register is on you alone Wal-Mart is just trying to protect themselfs in these hard times. And before people go thinking im some bigwig for the store I assure you im not im a 3rd shift stocker and 50% of the time I hate my job I just wanted to drop a few facts, I wish you the best of luck getting your money back and have a Merry Christmas.

~Kyle
Old 12-24-2009, 10:01 AM   #19
kzm007

Well I got high priced cards for family, as I was walking away, mom commented that they were awfully high - I guess hers was only $25...so I went to customer service, and here we are.

Now, question. Can I have this card broken into small denominations?
Old 12-24-2009, 10:14 AM   #20
floydpink
crazy diamond

First Name: Pete
Trading: (17)
Cohiba
floydpink has disabled reputation

I would make a very large scene in the midst of as many shoppers as possible. Bet you get your money back in two shakes of a lamb's tail.