Cigar Asylum Cigar Forum  

Go Back   Cigar Asylum Cigar Forum > Non Cigar Specialty Forums > Wine, Beer, and Spirits

Old 12-14-2014, 09:29 PM   #1
badbriar

Default Need Rum Help...

I'm looking to broaden my horizons and delve into some nice rums to accompany good cigars. Bourbons, scotches and Irish whiskeys, I'm familiar with, but rums are something new to me. Looking for something with a lot of flavor and no small amount of sweet, complex notes. How about recommending a good rum to a brother for sipping neat.
Old 12-14-2014, 09:45 PM   #2
AdamJoshua
Article 4 Free Inhabitant

First Name: The Other Adam
Trading: (40)
Bolivar Army (Served With Honor)
AdamJoshua has much to be proud ofAdamJoshua has much to be proud ofAdamJoshua has much to be proud ofAdamJoshua has much to be proud ofAdamJoshua has much to be proud ofAdamJoshua has much to be proud ofAdamJoshua has much to be proud ofAdamJoshua has much to be proud ofAdamJoshua has much to be proud ofAdamJoshua has much to be proud of
Default Re: Need Rum Help...

I enjoy Zaya rum.
AdamJoshua is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-14-2014, 09:46 PM   #3
yourchoice
Down the stretch

First Name: Joel
Trading: (36)
Cohiba
yourchoice has disabled reputation

http://www.cigarasylum.com/vb/showthread.php?t=76

This is the thread that broadened my rum horizons.
yourchoice is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-14-2014, 09:46 PM   #4
MarkinAZ
Formerly MarkinOR

First Name: Mark
Navy (Served With Honor)
MarkinAZ is a splendid one to beholdMarkinAZ is a splendid one to beholdMarkinAZ is a splendid one to beholdMarkinAZ is a splendid one to beholdMarkinAZ is a splendid one to beholdMarkinAZ is a splendid one to beholdMarkinAZ is a splendid one to behold

Quote:
Originally Posted by badbriar View Post
I'm looking to broaden my horizons and delve into some nice rums to accompany good cigars. Bourbons, scotches and Irish whiskeys, I'm familiar with, but rums are something new to me. Looking for something with a lot of flavor and no small amount of sweet, complex notes. How about recommending a good rum to a brother for sipping neat.
Great timing Rob! I'm actually sipping on some rum while smoking a pipe. I'm sipping on an El Dorado 8 yr old cask aged rum that was gifted to me by Eric (smokin5) recently. I can say it follows the tasting notes described here:

http://theeldoradorum.com/our-portfo...ged/8-year-old

It is smooth and quite a tasty rum
Old 12-14-2014, 11:10 PM   #5
mosesbotbol
That's a Corgi

First Name: Moses
Trading: (6)
Punch
mosesbotbol is a jewel in the roughmosesbotbol is a jewel in the roughmosesbotbol is a jewel in the rough

Quote:
Originally Posted by AdamJoshua View Post
I enjoy Zaya rum.
So do I. It's a steal of a deal considering how aged and the price. I like an aged Rum from India, but forget its name. Squat bottle. Good liquor store will have it. Also a virtual giveaway.
Old 12-15-2014, 07:49 AM   #6
coach
Hiding in Klug"s Humi

Trading: (3)
HUpmann
coach will become famous soon enough

Zaya, Zacapa, La Flor Decana 12yr, Appleton Estate 40yr, Mount Gay Eclipse or Black, Cruzan Single Barrel, Pyrat just a few that I enjoy.
coach is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-15-2014, 08:13 AM   #7
equetefue
Liga Privada Hoarder

First Name: Edwin
Trading: (17)
Partagas AirForce (Disabled Vet)
equetefue has a spectacular aura aboutequetefue has a spectacular aura about

Ron Zacapa is great for sipping
Old 12-15-2014, 08:31 AM   #8
kydsid
Ditat Deus

First Name: Jason
Trading: (46)
kydsid is just really nicekydsid is just really nicekydsid is just really nicekydsid is just really nice

Seeing as you are a bourbon and whiskey drinker I'd say find some Goslings Family old Reserve. Also try the CA thread above and also check out rumratings dot com
kydsid is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-15-2014, 09:36 AM   #9
Porch Dweller
Life is for living

First Name: James
Trading: (24)
Bolivar AirForce (Retired)
Porch Dweller is a splendid one to beholdPorch Dweller is a splendid one to beholdPorch Dweller is a splendid one to beholdPorch Dweller is a splendid one to beholdPorch Dweller is a splendid one to beholdPorch Dweller is a splendid one to beholdPorch Dweller is a splendid one to beholdPorch Dweller is a splendid one to behold

Flor de Cana 12-year old.
Old 12-15-2014, 09:43 AM   #10
nutcracker
Shameless epicurian

First Name: Neil
Trading: (26)
Partagas
nutcracker is just really nicenutcracker is just really nicenutcracker is just really nicenutcracker is just really nicenutcracker is just really nice

Santiago 20 year old.
The best rum I've tasted, by a country mile. Great stuff, almost as good as an old brandy (thinking Armagnac here).

You might however have to go to Cuba to get it.

Can't imagine why you'd want to go to Cuba....

Old 12-15-2014, 10:01 AM   #11
AdamJoshua
Article 4 Free Inhabitant

First Name: The Other Adam
Bolivar Army (Served With Honor)
AdamJoshua has much to be proud ofAdamJoshua has much to be proud ofAdamJoshua has much to be proud ofAdamJoshua has much to be proud ofAdamJoshua has much to be proud ofAdamJoshua has much to be proud ofAdamJoshua has much to be proud ofAdamJoshua has much to be proud ofAdamJoshua has much to be proud ofAdamJoshua has much to be proud of

Quote:
Originally Posted by nutcracker View Post
Santiago 20 year old.
The best rum I've tasted, by a country mile. Great stuff, almost as good as an old brandy (thinking Armagnac here).

You might however have to go to Cuba to get it.

Can't imagine why you'd want to go to Cuba....

Oh wait you deal with noggins / brains …. oh that explains you being a smart ass and rubbing in the going to Cuba angle.

AdamJoshua is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-15-2014, 10:13 AM   #12
nutcracker
Shameless epicurian

Partagas
nutcracker is just really nicenutcracker is just really nicenutcracker is just really nicenutcracker is just really nicenutcracker is just really nice

Quote:
Originally Posted by AdamJoshua View Post
Oh wait you deal with noggins / brains …. oh that explains you being a smart ass and rubbing in the going to Cuba angle.

Old 12-15-2014, 10:51 PM   #13
mosesbotbol
That's a Corgi

First Name: Moses
Trading: (6)
Punch
mosesbotbol is a jewel in the roughmosesbotbol is a jewel in the roughmosesbotbol is a jewel in the rough

Each region of the Caribbean has different style to it. Similar to cigars. You'll need to try a few and see which is your favorite. Some names like Appleton & Goslings carry a price premium to them, but even with them it's still cheaper than a whiskey of the same barrel age.

Worst comes to worst, just make Dark 'n Stormy's with it.
Old 12-16-2014, 07:07 AM   #14
pattersong
Gentlemen, you may smoke!

First Name: Greg
Trading: (0)
HdM
pattersong is on a distinguished road

I generally mix my rum with coke...with this in mind, I stay away from really high end sipping rums, but I have some suggestions for you that are very nice and reasonably priced.

El Dorado 8 & 12 (15 yr or 21 yr for sipping)
Flor de Cana 5 (this is great Nicaraguan Rum with coke and lime...and many Nica cigars)

I'm interested in buying my first bottle of single malt over the holidays. Maybe you can help me here...I've read a lot, and it seems the Highland Park 12 is a decent beginner choice. Any other suggestions?

Cheers!
pattersong is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-16-2014, 07:32 AM   #15
nutcracker
Shameless epicurian

Partagas

Quote:
Originally Posted by pattersong View Post
I generally mix my rum with coke...with this in mind, I stay away from really high end sipping rums, but I have some suggestions for you that are very nice and reasonably priced.

Flor de Cana 5 (this is great Nicaraguan Rum with coke and lime...and many Nica cigars)

I'm interested in buying my first bottle of single malt over the holidays. Maybe you can help me here...I've read a lot, and it seems the Highland Park 12 is a decent beginner choice. Any other suggestions?

Cheers!
Greg - for single malts - start gentle. Speysides are generally more "accessible" (Glenfiddich being the entry level sample, but Glendronach a much nicer example).

Highland Park is really fine whiskey. Personally I like the 18 year old version, which has a distinct heather/floral note to it. Macallan is also easy to get into, as it is usually sherry-esque and is fantastic with Cuban cigars.

Leave Islay's peated monsters for later. These are IMHO the best in scotch to pair with cigars and oysters, but are not easy as a starting point.

Follow the "dew on the rose" principle. Try the malt straight up - no ice anywhere near the glass* - after trying it neat, add the tiniest bit of water (dew on the rose) - which will bring out the more delicate aromas.

(*Chilling the scotch will make the esters precipitate, and you lose half the aroma.)

It is 8:00am and I'm thirsty......

Old 12-16-2014, 07:41 AM   #16
tsolomon
Have My Own Room

First Name: Tom
Trading: (31)
VR
tsolomon has a spectacular aura abouttsolomon has a spectacular aura abouttsolomon has a spectacular aura about

My favorites:

Ron Zacapa XO - pricey but really good.
Ron Zacapa 23 - my go to when I can find it on sale.
Zaya - pretty good and I can find it for around $25 a bottle.
tsolomon is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-16-2014, 11:02 AM   #17
pattersong
Gentlemen, you may smoke!

First Name: Greg
Trading: (0)
HdM
pattersong is on a distinguished road

Quote:
Originally Posted by nutcracker View Post
Greg - for single malts - start gentle. Speysides are generally more "accessible" (Glenfiddich being the entry level sample, but Glendronach a much nicer example).

Highland Park is really fine whiskey. Personally I like the 18 year old version, which has a distinct heather/floral note to it. Macallan is also easy to get into, as it is usually sherry-esque and is fantastic with Cuban cigars.

Leave Islay's peated monsters for later. These are IMHO the best in scotch to pair with cigars and oysters, but are not easy as a starting point.

Follow the "dew on the rose" principle. Try the malt straight up - no ice anywhere near the glass* - after trying it neat, add the tiniest bit of water (dew on the rose) - which will bring out the more delicate aromas.

(*Chilling the scotch will make the esters precipitate, and you lose half the aroma.)

It is 8:00am and I'm thirsty......

Thank you Neil! Great suggestions..you must have known the "ice/no ice" question was on deck. I agree, I will go neat to start...then build from there.
pattersong is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-16-2014, 11:17 AM   #18
badbriar

Quote:
Originally Posted by pattersong View Post

Cheers!
Glenmorangie The Original one of the smoothest and best of the "Glen" scotches. Everyone knows the name Glenlivet, but the Glenmorangie is far superior, IMHO. Also nice is Glenfiddich.
Old 12-16-2014, 01:50 PM   #19
irratebass
EMPEROR TOMPKINS

First Name: Mickey
Trading: (48)
ERdM
irratebass is a splendid one to beholdirratebass is a splendid one to beholdirratebass is a splendid one to beholdirratebass is a splendid one to beholdirratebass is a splendid one to beholdirratebass is a splendid one to behold

All rum suggestions noted here are good choices, and for a dark rum......try the Kraken, I was pleasantly surprised by it.
Old 12-16-2014, 03:26 PM   #20
big pete
Going to the darkside....

Trading: (20)
PL
big pete will become famous soon enoughbig pete will become famous soon enough

Quote:
Originally Posted by tsolomon View Post
My favorites:

Ron Zacapa XO - pricey but really good.
Ron Zacapa 23 - my go to when I can find it on sale.
Zaya - pretty good and I can find it for around $25 a bottle.
+1 for this list. Good stuff that you can get in the states
big pete is offline   Reply With Quote