Cigar Asylum Cigar Forum  

Go Back   Cigar Asylum Cigar Forum > Non Cigar Specialty Forums > Misc > General Discussion

Old 05-02-2011, 03:14 PM   #41
jjirons69
Haberdasher

First Name: Jamie
Trading: (94)
LGC
jjirons69 is a splendid one to beholdjjirons69 is a splendid one to beholdjjirons69 is a splendid one to beholdjjirons69 is a splendid one to beholdjjirons69 is a splendid one to beholdjjirons69 is a splendid one to beholdjjirons69 is a splendid one to behold
Default Re: Steamed up my afternoon

Quote:
Originally Posted by awsmith4 View Post
How cool would it be to have Natural Gas cars that you could fill up off your house!
Fiber One bars would get me to work and back.
Old 05-02-2011, 03:58 PM   #42
Steve
Dad Jokester Supreme

First Name: Steve
Trading: (6)
HdM
Steve has much to be proud ofSteve has much to be proud ofSteve has much to be proud ofSteve has much to be proud ofSteve has much to be proud ofSteve has much to be proud ofSteve has much to be proud ofSteve has much to be proud ofSteve has much to be proud ofSteve has much to be proud of

Quote:
Originally Posted by Coach Deg View Post
Was out of town this weekend paid $3.89. Went to the marina today to start up the boat!!!!!!!!! $5.10 at the marina!!!!!!! I need a trailer!!!!!
THAT is why I can't ever see myself owning a boat that I Ican't trailer!

I got off easy today, I only had to fill up 1/2 tank in the truck, it was only $60. I pais $3.79, the station a block up was raising thier price from 3.79 to 3.93. Argh!
Old 05-02-2011, 04:46 PM   #43
Kinky_yk
Just in from the Storm

First Name: Jeff
Trading: (0)
Partagas
Kinky_yk is on a distinguished road

$4.00 a gallon, I remember the times....
Where I live in a fairly remote city in Northern Canada we paying $5.26 a gallon, looking back (a few years now) $4 a gallon was like a vacation. Oh and by the way if anybody says that when the prices go up they'll drive less, walk more, buy a more efficient car, etc, etc, they are lying to you and themselves. Our prices are most likely going to increase by about 20% (local politics) in the next year and it hasn't - and won't - change anybodies habits, we're kinda stubborn that way.
Kinky_yk is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-02-2011, 08:28 PM   #44
E.J.
I'm nuts for the place

Trading: (21)
E.J. is a jewel in the roughE.J. is a jewel in the roughE.J. is a jewel in the rough

At least it is getting warm enough that I get to ride my bike to work.... It isn't so much the savings from not driving(though that is a nice side bonus), I enjoy the process and getting my exercise at the same time is nice....
E.J. is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-03-2011, 07:29 AM   #45
Will herf for food

First Name: Mike
Trading: (9)
VR
357 is a splendid one to behold357 is a splendid one to behold357 is a splendid one to behold357 is a splendid one to behold357 is a splendid one to behold357 is a splendid one to behold

Price went down to $4.00, then the next day the same gas station had it at $4.29. OVERNIGHT.
Old 05-03-2011, 08:42 AM   #46
kydsid
Ditat Deus

First Name: Jason
Trading: (46)
kydsid is just really nicekydsid is just really nicekydsid is just really nicekydsid is just really nice

A tank of gas equals a box of cigars for me now.
kydsid is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-03-2011, 08:52 AM   #47
macpappy
Rider on the storm.

Cohiba CoastGuard (Retired)
macpappy will become famous soon enough

I'm old. I would "help" out around a local gas station when I was in the 8th grade and their was a price war. We were selling gas for 26¢ a gallon.

I'm not trying to start a political fight but if Washington would stop bending over and kissing the environmentalists butts for votes, then we could start drilling for oil in the Gulf of Mexico again. Don't tell me about the oil spill. I live just outside of New Orleans and I know what it did. I also know that the last major oil rig problem that affected the gulf was in 1979. That's a pretty good track record for drilling safety if you ask me.

I'll stop now before I start ranting.
Old 05-03-2011, 09:04 AM   #48
awsmith4
Simple Pleasures - 2oL

First Name: Albert
Trading: (111)
HUpmann
awsmith4 has disabled reputation

Quote:
Originally Posted by jjirons69 View Post
Fiber One bars would get me to work and back.
awsmith4 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-03-2011, 10:16 AM   #49
D. Generate
El Dudarino

First Name: Dale
Trading: (1)
Bolivar Navy (Served With Honor)
D. Generate is on a distinguished road

I spent a week and a half visiting family in Reno and paid $4.00 a gallon. In London it's £1.35 a litre, or almost $8.90 a gallon.

I'm fortunate in that living and working in London, I can ride a bicycle anywhere I need to go. Public transport is an option but it's not always reliable and certainly not pleasant. A one month oyster card is £106.

I love riding, I love bikes. I know it's not feasible for everyone, particularly in the States, but relying on oil for transport isn't either.
Old 05-03-2011, 10:47 AM   #50
Sled Dog
Still Watching My Back

First Name: Tim
Sled Dog is on a distinguished road

Cost me over $10 to fill up my little plastic jug I use for the lawn mower.... not cool.
Sled Dog is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-03-2011, 12:54 PM   #51
kaisersozei
The Homebrew Hammer

First Name: Gerard
Trading: (40)
Punch Army (Served With Honor)
kaisersozei is a name known to allkaisersozei is a name known to allkaisersozei is a name known to allkaisersozei is a name known to allkaisersozei is a name known to allkaisersozei is a name known to all

Quote:
Originally Posted by macpappy View Post
I'm not trying to start a political fight but if Washington would stop bending over and kissing the environmentalists butts for votes, then we could start drilling for oil in the Gulf of Mexico again. Don't tell me about the oil spill. I live just outside of New Orleans and I know what it did. I also know that the last major oil rig problem that affected the gulf was in 1979. That's a pretty good track record for drilling safety if you ask me.
Yup, and there's a lot more "non-deep water" space off our coasts where we ought to be drilling. Might not bring the price down immediately, but we'll all still be driving 5-10 years from now and I don't want to deal with these prices for that long.

kaisersozei is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-03-2011, 12:57 PM   #52
Will herf for food

VR
357 is a splendid one to behold357 is a splendid one to behold357 is a splendid one to behold357 is a splendid one to behold357 is a splendid one to behold357 is a splendid one to behold

Quote:
Originally Posted by kaisersozei View Post
Yup, and there's a lot more "non-deep water" space off our coasts where we ought to be drilling. Might not bring the price down immediately, but we'll all still be driving 5-10 years from now and I don't want to deal with these prices for that long.
Amen, and had the drilling in the Gulf been closer to shore in shallow water, that spill would have been capped in 1/4 the time.
Old 05-03-2011, 02:33 PM   #53
OLS
Suck It

First Name: Brad
Trading: (19)
Bolivar AirForce (Served With Honor)
OLS is a splendid one to beholdOLS is a splendid one to beholdOLS is a splendid one to beholdOLS is a splendid one to beholdOLS is a splendid one to beholdOLS is a splendid one to beholdOLS is a splendid one to behold

The day the uprising first broke in Tunisia, some 4 months ago, I traded my truck for a tiny-a$$
Chevy Cruze. I thought, "Hmm, this is going to spread fast, and if it gets to Sau.Ara., look out." Well
as usual, I prove to be eerily good at predicting bad. Granted, it was getting time to either fix the
niggling little broke crap and change the Serp. belt or go new vehicle anyway, but....
So my fillup only recently passed what my truck USED to take at the old price. But Chevy lied, it doesn't
even sniff 39 mpg. Of course, I drive like a maniac. But I digress.
1.) STOP ALLOWING speculation on oil futures.
2.) take back all subsidies
3.) get the F OUT of the middle east.
After these three things are done, there will be precious little else we can do about it and we'd better
strap in for the long haul. As long as a gallon of "biofuel" takes way more energy to to produce than it
replaces, we might as well be Vietnam and all be on bikes.
OLS is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-03-2011, 02:58 PM   #54
BC-Axeman

I wish more people drove tiny cars, walked, pedaled or solared there way around. That would leave more, cheaper fuel for me.

Unfortunately, as long as the middle-ages-east is part of the world, we're stuck in it with them.
Old 05-03-2011, 05:07 PM   #55
Steve
Dad Jokester Supreme

First Name: Steve
Trading: (6)
HdM
Steve has much to be proud ofSteve has much to be proud ofSteve has much to be proud ofSteve has much to be proud ofSteve has much to be proud ofSteve has much to be proud ofSteve has much to be proud ofSteve has much to be proud ofSteve has much to be proud ofSteve has much to be proud of

Saw one of these last weekend a little north of town

And I thought it was bad filling up my 250!
Old 05-03-2011, 06:35 PM   #56
kydsid
Ditat Deus

First Name: Jason
Trading: (46)
kydsid is just really nicekydsid is just really nicekydsid is just really nicekydsid is just really nice

^forget the cost of diesel for that thing. Imagine what the cost of AT tires that big is
kydsid is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-04-2011, 11:48 AM   #57
Will herf for food

VR

Thing is the "fixes" being sold to us aren't what the public wants. Americans like big comfortable cars/SUVs/trucks. We don't want to be shoehorned into a tin can and risk our lives just to cut our gas price down by 30%. Americans want to be comfortable and be able to haul their family (and their crap) around without costing an arm an a leg. Last time gas was over $4 and went back down, the first thing that hit the skids was hybrid sales. Go figure. You'll never get the extra $3-5000 back from a hybrid unless gas is over $4 consistently for 5 years.

Brad I think you're right to an extent. Speculation on oil futures needs to go. Let the market dictate the price, not speculators or some production group strangling us like OPEC.
Old 05-04-2011, 12:32 PM   #58
BC-Axeman

Speculators are the market. All commodities are future traded.
I agree that OPEC is a cartel and should be illegal.
Old 05-05-2011, 02:32 PM   #59
jjirons69
Haberdasher

First Name: Jamie
Trading: (94)
LGC
jjirons69 is a splendid one to beholdjjirons69 is a splendid one to beholdjjirons69 is a splendid one to beholdjjirons69 is a splendid one to beholdjjirons69 is a splendid one to beholdjjirons69 is a splendid one to beholdjjirons69 is a splendid one to behold

Oil prices plunged more than 8% Thursday as weak economic data and a strengthening dollar drove crude to its biggest one-day drop since April 2009.

The main U.S. oil contract for June delivery settled down $9.44, or 8.6%, to $99.80 a barrel. That's its lowest level since mid-March and marks its biggest one-day percentage drop in two years. Brent crude, the European benchmark, fell $10.73 to $110.46 a barrel.

The drop hasn't translated into lower gasoline prices though. The national average price for a gallon of gasoline rose for the forty-fourth straight day to $3.985 on Thursday, according to motorist group AAA.

Lower crude prices usually translate into lower gasoline prices, but the effect is delayed.
Old 05-05-2011, 03:40 PM   #60
mhailey
Splitter of Hairs

First Name: Matt
Trading: (21)
mhailey has a spectacular aura aboutmhailey has a spectacular aura aboutmhailey has a spectacular aura about

Quote:
Originally Posted by BC-Axeman View Post
Speculators are the market. All commodities are future traded.
I agree that OPEC is a cartel and should be illegal.
Speculators are what drive the oil business. There is nothing wrong with speculators. Every investor (no matter what the investment), is a speculator.