Cigar Asylum Cigar Forum  

Go Back   Cigar Asylum Cigar Forum > Cigar Forums > Accessory Discussion / Reviews

Old 09-23-2010, 09:43 PM   #1
lunneyz

Default Help me with my humidor!

So I got the two samplers I ordered today, but I'm still waiting for my humidor to settle. I calibrated the hygrometer using a teaspoon of salt, a few drops of water in a ziploc bag for about 24 hours. I set it to 75 immediately. In the several seconds it took me to walk over to the humidor the needle dropped to about 65 or so. The instructions said not to wet the inside of the humidor. Instead I placed a cup of distilled water in the humidor. The needle hasn't dipped below 80 in over 24 hours. Is this normal? how long should it take for a small (40 sticks) humi to properly season? Am I missing a step somewhere. Thanks in advance for the advice!
Old 09-23-2010, 10:37 PM   #2
icehog3
Admiral Douchebag

First Name: Tom
Trading: (61)
HUpmann
icehog3 has disabled reputation
Default Re: Help me with my humidor!

Are you using humidity beads? The distilled water you have in the humidor will get 65% or 70% beads to their desired level, and then your humidity will stabilize. The beads also absorb humidity when it gets higher than your desired level. The water will just keep putting out humidity, not absorbing it if it gets too high.

Thanks Dave, Julian, James, Kelly, Peter, Gerry, Dave, Mo, Frank, Týr and Mr. Mark!
icehog3 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-23-2010, 11:02 PM   #3
DPD6030
Shepard of the sheeple

First Name: Andrew
Trading: (151)
Partagas
DPD6030 has much to be proud ofDPD6030 has much to be proud ofDPD6030 has much to be proud ofDPD6030 has much to be proud ofDPD6030 has much to be proud ofDPD6030 has much to be proud ofDPD6030 has much to be proud ofDPD6030 has much to be proud ofDPD6030 has much to be proud of

What type of hydrometer are you using analog or digital?
DPD6030 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-23-2010, 11:07 PM   #4
icehog3
Admiral Douchebag

HUpmann

Quote:
Originally Posted by DPD6030 View Post
What type of hydrometer are you using analog or digital?
Quote:
Originally Posted by lunneyz View Post
The needle hasn't dipped below 80 in over 24 hours.
That might be a big part of the problem...Analog hygrometers aren't worth the metal their made with.

Thanks Dave, Julian, James, Kelly, Peter, Gerry, Dave, Mo, Frank, Týr and Mr. Mark!
Old 09-23-2010, 11:48 PM   #5
lunneyz

I'm not using the beads. Are they an add-on or substitute for the humidifier? I am using an analog hygrometer that came with the humidor. I cracked the lid open for a bit and that seemed to help lower the humidity level. I only used maybe an ounce of distilled water when charging the humidifier (it is the small round type). Will this be enough to keep the humidity level stable. I took the cup of water out too.
Old 09-24-2010, 12:17 AM   #6
dwoodward
Gentlemen, you may smoke!

First Name: Derrick
Trading: (26)
HUpmann
dwoodward will become famous soon enoughdwoodward will become famous soon enough

You will be fine mate, just give it a few days to a week to settle.
dwoodward is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-24-2010, 01:17 AM   #7
DPD6030
Shepard of the sheeple

First Name: Andrew
Trading: (151)
Partagas
DPD6030 has much to be proud ofDPD6030 has much to be proud ofDPD6030 has much to be proud ofDPD6030 has much to be proud ofDPD6030 has much to be proud ofDPD6030 has much to be proud ofDPD6030 has much to be proud ofDPD6030 has much to be proud ofDPD6030 has much to be proud of

If I were you Zack I would get a digital hydrometer so you're not messing with the needle all the time. They (the analogs) fail a lot of the time. I have digitals along with beads in my cooler and have not had a problem yet. I calibrate every 6 months to make sure they are accurate. Beads are where it's at but do incur extra cost. The green humidifier can/will mold.
DPD6030 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-24-2010, 02:17 AM   #8
bobarian
Cranky Habanophile

Trading: (51)
ERdM
bobarian has disabled reputation

The green foam type humidifier are meant to be used with PG solution. All you are doing is adding moisture, that is why you are reading so high. There is nothing to regulate humidity. PG(propylene glycol) will regulate to 70%. You can get beads that will regulate to 60 or 65%. As the others have suggested a digital hygrometer will give you a more accurate reading. But you need a humidifier that will both raise and lower humidity as needed.
bobarian is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-24-2010, 02:30 AM   #9
bigdix
Cigarmurai

First Name: Dan
Trading: (1)
Trinidad AirForce (Active)
bigdix will become famous soon enough

Another vote for the digital hygro, and either PG or switch to some beads. I had a brand new analog hygro that came with my first little humi and it crapped out in about a week. It was never accurate. Xikar (I think?) makes a nice one you can calibrate. Pretty cheap too.
Old 09-24-2010, 06:38 AM   #10
gijoey959

I don't know about all the analog bashing, I have both since I bought an analog first, and its keeping up with my digital one and is often times more accurate since its got degrees on it rather than rounds up or down like my digital.

But you should really get a digital, my analog, while decent, is a back up to my digital, and I think at walmart, they have them for $10 or a little less. I also got some humidity gel, well the container says crystals, but it was $6 a container and it keeps my small-medium cooler at 65% without fail, and it works off of distilled water
Old 09-24-2010, 06:44 AM   #11
ucla695
Neither here, nor there

Trading: (5)
Montecristo
ucla695 has disabled reputation

A digital hygro and beads will do wonders for your peace of mind.
ucla695 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-24-2010, 07:41 AM   #12
lunneyz

Thanks for the advice guys. I will look into getting some beads and a digital hygrometer. I left the humidor cracked open overnight and it's down to about 75. Will putting the cigars into the humidor also help it settle? When I do put the cigars in, should I take them out of the plastic?
Old 09-24-2010, 08:18 AM   #13
icehog3
Admiral Douchebag

HUpmann

I would wait until your humidor is solid around 70% or lower before adding cigars, 75% may cause them to smoke poorly and could result in mold if left that high too long.

The cello on or off question? Personal preference. I leave it on.

Old 09-24-2010, 09:09 AM   #14
waffle
Who doesn't love Waffles?

First Name: Steve (Stephen)
Trading: (38)
waffle has a spectacular aura aboutwaffle has a spectacular aura about

Also, take a look at this stickied thread... it helped out TONS when I was seasoning my first humi. If you're worried about the sticks you have... tupperware is a pretty nice substitute for a few days.
waffle is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-25-2010, 01:02 AM   #15
clintgeek

If you haven't thought about using kitty litter, you might want to think about it. I bought 4lbs for $10 and with a light spritzing of distilled water it holds rH at 68% perfectly. I had to get past the thought of the fact it is kitty litter but honestly it works perfectly. Look for the Exquisicat Krystals. I swear it works.
Old 09-25-2010, 10:16 AM   #16
CigarNut
F*ck Cancer!

First Name: Michael
Trading: (111)
RA
CigarNut has disabled reputation

Kitty Litter may be good for some things, but it's not that great in a humidor. KL is also not good at maintaining and regulating your RH unless the ambient RH of your environment (room) is close to that of your cigars...

Sure it works, but why trust hundreds of dollars of cigars to a product that is made to absorb cat urine?? I suppose you could use vegetable oil in your car engine -- it is oil afterall -- but is it the best tool for the job? Not really... Just my

2 of 3 Requirements for use of the CA Rolodex: 100 posts/ 60 day membership/ participation in trade (trader rating). New members can be added at any time.
CigarNut is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-25-2010, 11:08 AM   #17
icehog3
Admiral Douchebag

HUpmann

Quote:
Originally Posted by CigarNut View Post
Kitty Litter may be good for some things, but it's not that great in a humidor. KL is also not good at maintaining and regulating your RH unless the ambient RH of your environment (room) is close to that of your cigars...

Sure it works, but why trust hundreds of dollars of cigars to a product that is made to absorb cat urine?? I suppose you could use vegetable oil in your car engine -- it is oil afterall -- but is it the best tool for the job? Not really... Just my

I ain't scrimping to save $20 when it comes to maintaining 100s or 1000s of dollars worth of cigars.

Old 09-25-2010, 11:27 AM   #18
longknocker
Postwhore

First Name: Greg
Trading: (82)
Cohiba
longknocker has a brilliant futurelongknocker has a brilliant futurelongknocker has a brilliant futurelongknocker has a brilliant futurelongknocker has a brilliant futurelongknocker has a brilliant futurelongknocker has a brilliant futurelongknocker has a brilliant futurelongknocker has a brilliant futurelongknocker has a brilliant futurelongknocker has a brilliant future

Quote:
Originally Posted by icehog3 View Post

I ain't scrimping to save $20 when it comes to maintaining 100s or 1000s of dollars worth of cigars.
Amen! Only The Best Go Into My Humis; Why Take A Chance?
longknocker is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-26-2010, 03:27 PM   #19
lunneyz

Good thread waffle. I am leaving a cup of distilled water in my humidor now and looking into getting a digital hygrometer. In the meantime I will recharge my humidifier (I don't think I put enough distilled water in it) and try to recalibrate my analog hygrometer. I want to make sure my box is good and ready for those cigars.