Cigar Asylum Cigar Forum  

Go Back   Cigar Asylum Cigar Forum > Non Cigar Specialty Forums > Coffee & Tea Forum > Coffee Discussion

Old 01-23-2010, 08:48 AM   #21
pfm721
I bleed Orange and Blue

First Name: Patrick
Trading: (7)
pfm721 is on a distinguished road
Default Re: Beginner Espresso setup

Quote:
Originally Posted by germantown rob View Post
Don't do it! Pure insanity to want to make your own espresso at home, think of all the money you'll be taking out of the economy. If people find out what espresso is supposed to taste like who will give all those kids jobs to act like they know something about coffee and espresso?

If you insist to get into this home espresso thing then take everyones advice and think grinder first. Single Boiler/ Duel Use will make tasty espresso, the cult like following of Sylvia scream this, but they will not be making you many drinks very fast. HX machines will take care of as many drinks as you want and you will never have to wait for the machine, learning the cooling flush with an HX allows control over brew temperature. Double Boilers won't make a better espresso shot then an HX or a PID'ed single boiler (which will cost as much as an HX machine) but many allow you to set the desired brew temp and will have enough steam power to froth a few gallons of milk.

Have fun researching
Thanks for the advice. Much appreciated.
pfm721 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-23-2010, 09:52 AM   #22
Resipsa

I'm with Rob, but a capable grinder and HX machine will set up back well over twice your budget.

Not to discourage you, this is the route I went and am very happy with my setup. Expensive, but literally a lifelong investment so when you think of it being around for the next 30 years, you can talk yourself into it,
Old 01-24-2010, 12:55 PM   #23
germantown rob
Still not Adjusted

First Name: Rob
Trading: (1)
Partagas
germantown rob is on a distinguished road

Quote:
Originally Posted by Mister Moo View Post
This is a totally correct, lucid and well thought out conclusion. This is the way it is. Wish it wasn't, but it is. 'Effin' A.
I am all choked up, that might be the nicest thing anyone has ever said to me. I called Anne in to see it for herself and she just laughed, well I choose to believe it and I thank you Mister Moo'ffee (Master to us coffee wanna be's) .

Vic, I have a hard time with you backing me .

Sometimes waiting and saving for something you can have for many years of pleasure is worth it. I have had to many hobbies where I bought in the low to mid range to start and upgraded a year or two later sometimes over and over, this is just not cost effective. Coffee is simple in it's requirements, excellent grown beans, masterfully roasted, ground with excellent equipment, then add hot water at the temperature that works best. Justifying a grinder is easy for me but the idea that one will spend $900-$5000+ 0n hot water delivery is hard to get behind, especially when you consider this is an invention that is 70+ years old. It is to late for me but the rest of you thinking about espresso should run and save yourselves, let me wallow in my tweaking a profile to get a better roast for my 2oz of liquid amber(gold) and while I sit and sip and ramble on about the wonderful aromas and multitude of flavors take pity on my wife that has to listen to it while she tries to enjoy her cup.
germantown rob is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-26-2010, 11:40 AM   #24
Mister Moo
I barely grok the obvious

First Name: Dan
Trading: (3)
HUpmann Army (Served With Honor)
Mister Moo is a jewel in the roughMister Moo is a jewel in the roughMister Moo is a jewel in the roughMister Moo is a jewel in the rough

Quote:
Originally Posted by germantown rob View Post
...Vic, I have a hard time with you backing me...
Hey. Who wouldn't?
Old 01-26-2010, 01:22 PM   #25
germantown rob
Still not Adjusted

First Name: Rob
Trading: (1)
Partagas
germantown rob is on a distinguished road

Quote:
Originally Posted by Mister Moo View Post
Hey. Who wouldn't?

I really should read what I write .
I meant to say ...I have a hard time believing Vic would back me.
germantown rob is offline   Reply With Quote