Cigar Asylum Cigar Forum  

Go Back   Cigar Asylum Cigar Forum > Non Cigar Specialty Forums > Coffee & Tea Forum > Coffee Discussion

Old 03-19-2011, 06:30 PM   #1
MarkinAZ
Formerly MarkinOR

First Name: Mark
Trading: (40)
Navy (Served With Honor)
MarkinAZ is a splendid one to beholdMarkinAZ is a splendid one to beholdMarkinAZ is a splendid one to beholdMarkinAZ is a splendid one to beholdMarkinAZ is a splendid one to beholdMarkinAZ is a splendid one to beholdMarkinAZ is a splendid one to behold
Question Roasting Question w/regards to Outside Temperature...

On the patio this afternoon @ 3:30PM, a pleasant 59*... This is the first time roasting with an outside temp @ 59*. Usually, its been 80* outside on the patio.

I pre-heated the Poppery II for approximately 2 min and measured out my first batch of Sumatra Grd #1 Mandheling at 3.5oz.

When the Poppery heated up to speed, I dumped the green beans and proceeded as usual. The 1st crack however did not occur until app the 4min mark (usually its 2:00 to 2:39min). All in all, I roasted this green bean up to 9:15min to get the following color:

Which I was pleased with, but I feel it took much longer to achieve due to the outside temp this afternoon. Any thoughts regarding my attempt at this roast today?

Unfortunately, I had bottled 7oz of this roast in a Mason jar, and while trying to juggle a majority of the equipment inside, the jar slid off and "exploded" on the brickery. I decided to dump it instead of trying to collect the beans and powdered glass together. Live and learn, but that's the fun of roasting (or homebrewing)
Old 03-21-2011, 10:09 AM   #2
Mr B
Livin' in a Van....

Trading: (79)
PL
Mr B is just really niceMr B is just really niceMr B is just really niceMr B is just really nice
Default Re: Roasting Question w/regards to Outside Temperature...

Mark, sorry to hear about the bean tragedy.

Outside temp means alot. I have one roaster/popper that will barley hit first crack when its real cool outside. Solution: I put that roaster in a small, shallow box and run another one behind it, blowing hot air into the box. Now its drawing in warmer air and increasing my roasting temp. Works very well.
I run this crazy contraption while my better roaster is cooling with a fan blowing into it.
Mr B is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-21-2011, 06:13 PM   #3
MarkinAZ
Formerly MarkinOR

Navy (Served With Honor)
MarkinAZ is a splendid one to beholdMarkinAZ is a splendid one to beholdMarkinAZ is a splendid one to beholdMarkinAZ is a splendid one to beholdMarkinAZ is a splendid one to beholdMarkinAZ is a splendid one to beholdMarkinAZ is a splendid one to behold

Quote:
Originally Posted by Mr B View Post
Outside temp means alot. I have one roaster/popper that will barley hit first crack when its real cool outside. Solution: I put that roaster in a small, shallow box and run another one behind it, blowing hot air into the box. Now its drawing in warmer air and increasing my roasting temp. Works very well. I run this crazy contraption while my better roaster is cooling with a fan blowing into it.
Thanks for the feedback Brent That's kinda what I was thinking regarding the temp, when one bit of info I'd read mentioned "don't if its 50* and below." I've seen the box set-up in a "you tube" post without the additional blower unit. Guess I could modify a box, line it with tin foil and position my daughters hair dryer into the box while "on low" with some sort of modified tubing...

I'm sure we can become very creative if we get hard-up enough to roast some beans huh? Will probably wait for a solid 70* day to roll around for now though. Thanks again Brent...

Old 03-21-2011, 06:32 PM   #4
Mister Moo
I barely grok the obvious

First Name: Dan
Trading: (3)
HUpmann Army (Served With Honor)
Mister Moo is a jewel in the roughMister Moo is a jewel in the roughMister Moo is a jewel in the roughMister Moo is a jewel in the rough

+1: Ambient temp definitely affects popper roast times; the baffle-box warm air recirculate thingie worked well for me, too.
Old 03-21-2011, 07:40 PM   #5
MarkinAZ
Formerly MarkinOR

Navy (Served With Honor)

Quote:
Originally Posted by Mister Moo View Post
+1: Ambient temp definitely affects popper roast times; the baffle-box warm air recirculate thingie worked well for me, too.
Thanks Dan! Probably works similar to the thingamajig design too
Old 03-22-2011, 05:09 AM   #6
Mister Moo

Mister Moo is a jewel in the roughMister Moo is a jewel in the roughMister Moo is a jewel in the roughMister Moo is a jewel in the rough

Quote:
Originally Posted by MarkinCA View Post
Thanks Dan! Probably works similar to the thingamajig design too
Practically identical.

FWIW, A roast time extended to 9-10 minutes is probably going to give fine (or better) results compared to the standard 4-6 minute popper blast. I see only one divot blown from a bean (three o'clock position) and the roast looks typically mottled (typical Sumatra) and uniform. The fast, hot popper profile can blast divots in 20-30% of a roast during hot weather and play hell with uniformity, especially with larger beans like the Sumatran; I'd honor the cooler weather and roast with a knowing smile.

I question the efficacy of preheating a popper, whereas, I favor temperature control (i.e. roast time control) by filling a popper with more (hotter) or less (cooler) beans from the start.

I say this sipping a lovely cappuccino made from local fresh roast purchased at Whole Foods this weekend.
Old 03-22-2011, 03:09 PM   #7
RevSmoke
Ain't Never Gonna Leave

First Name: Todd
Trading: (51)
HUpmann
RevSmoke has a brilliant futureRevSmoke has a brilliant futureRevSmoke has a brilliant futureRevSmoke has a brilliant futureRevSmoke has a brilliant futureRevSmoke has a brilliant futureRevSmoke has a brilliant futureRevSmoke has a brilliant futureRevSmoke has a brilliant futureRevSmoke has a brilliant futureRevSmoke has a brilliant future

I don't roast with a hot air popper, but with a Fresh Roast 8, so I don't know how to respond.

I am sorry to hear about your dropping your roasted beans.

God's blessings.
Old 03-22-2011, 04:19 PM   #8
floydpink
crazy diamond

First Name: Pete
Trading: (17)
Cohiba
floydpink has disabled reputation

Quote:
Originally Posted by Mister Moo View Post
Practically identical.

FWIW, A roast time extended to 9-10 minutes is probably going to give fine (or better) results compared to the standard 4-6 minute popper blast. I see only one divot blown from a bean (three o'clock position) and the roast looks typically mottled (typical Sumatra) and uniform. The fast, hot popper profile can blast divots in 20-30% of a roast during hot weather and play hell with uniformity, especially with larger beans like the Sumatran; I'd honor the cooler weather and roast with a knowing smile.

I question the efficacy of preheating a popper, whereas, I favor temperature control (i.e. roast time control) by filling a popper with more (hotter) or less (cooler) beans from the start.

I say this sipping a lovely cappuccino made from local fresh roast purchased at Whole Foods this weekend.
Love Whole Foods Roast but am wondering if you have retired from roasting>>???
Old 03-22-2011, 04:42 PM   #9
Mister Moo

Mom lived with us the last two of her nearly 98 years. She passed away last Oct. and it's time to get back to roasting again. A lot of things went by the wayside while she was in our care - roasting was expendable. I'll be back on the program this weekend.
Old 03-22-2011, 05:17 PM   #10
floydpink
crazy diamond

First Name: Pete
Trading: (17)
Cohiba
floydpink has disabled reputation

I remember you saying you were taking time off, glad to hear you're back and my sincere condolences for your loss.
Old 03-22-2011, 05:24 PM   #11
SD Beerman
Have My Own Room

Cohiba
SD Beerman will become famous soon enough

I roast with the old style crank popper. Works great and temp does alter the roasting time and I like being in control of the roast.

Those beans look great too bad you had to sacrifice the others ......
SD Beerman is offline   Reply With Quote