Cigar Asylum Cigar Forum  

Go Back   Cigar Asylum Cigar Forum > Cigar Forums > Accessory Discussion / Reviews

Old 11-04-2010, 02:09 PM   #1
OLS
Suck It

First Name: Brad
Trading: (19)
Bolivar AirForce (Served With Honor)
OLS is a splendid one to beholdOLS is a splendid one to beholdOLS is a splendid one to beholdOLS is a splendid one to beholdOLS is a splendid one to beholdOLS is a splendid one to beholdOLS is a splendid one to behold
Default Just thought some might come down....

I know a lot of smokers have been on the fence about the Chateau Fuente Humidor that is
offered at several online retailers in concert with the Fuente Family to raise money for charity.
These things were 400 bucks at the lowest for some time, and before that who knows how high.
However it seems that JR has come down off'n the price a bit and they now can be had for $250.
It's STILL not worth 250 per se, but for a good cause and "they" say it's a nice humidor for the
fact that it's a no-namer. If you stay out of "accessories" and buy it in the "Samplers" section,
you get 20 free Chateaus with it and pay the same price.
But until mine gets here, I will refrain from saying you get ANYTHING with it, cause I ain't seen it.
But it was never worth it to me before, and now suddenly it is approaching worth it status.
18 of those cigars will go to troop support anyway, so it supports TWO good causes. I never
want to promote JR, but I DO try to say something when I see something worth saying
something about.

http://www.jrcigars.com/index.cfm?pa.../SAMPLERS-OPUS X CHATEAU DE LA FUENTE HUMIDOR + CIGARS COMBO.html
OLS is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-04-2010, 02:28 PM   #2
docdoty
Cigars & Guns...what else

First Name: Justin
Trading: (8)
RA AirForce
docdoty is on a distinguished road
Default Re: Just thought some might come down....

Thanks Brad Ill have to take a gander at it when i get home.
Old 11-04-2010, 04:59 PM   #3
Subvet642
Bilge Rat

First Name: Darren
Trading: (13)
LFdC Navy (Served With Honor)
Subvet642 is a name known to allSubvet642 is a name known to allSubvet642 is a name known to allSubvet642 is a name known to allSubvet642 is a name known to allSubvet642 is a name known to all

For what it's worth, I like JR and buy most of my NCs from them. I'm still a total noob, so please tell me why do people seem to dislike them so much?

I've been looking at that humi for a while and I think that it's beautiful but I don't think that I'd ever pull the trigger on one, though. I have a humi I like and $250 could buy me a lot of stogies. Your donating the sticks to the troops is a very cool thing to do. I'd be interested in what you think about the humi, so please post some pictures when it arrives.
Old 11-04-2010, 07:03 PM   #4
Bill86
Snob

First Name: Bill
Trading: (67)
Cohiba
Bill86 is a name known to allBill86 is a name known to allBill86 is a name known to allBill86 is a name known to allBill86 is a name known to allBill86 is a name known to all

Eh those humis are nice and all, but man they are costly for very little storage. I consider anything under 300 count a joke. Unless you just REALLY want a nice desktop for work or something. Even then I wouldn't buy these I'd get a custom from Ed (Waxingmoon) his look much classier anyways .
Bill86 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-05-2010, 06:55 AM   #5
Parshooter
I'm a friend of Gary S

First Name: Marc
Trading: (2)
Bolivar
Parshooter will become famous soon enough

If that humi is anything like the ones they sold back in the late 90's, it's a nice piece.
Old 11-05-2010, 01:47 PM   #6
OLS
Suck It

OLS is a splendid one to beholdOLS is a splendid one to beholdOLS is a splendid one to beholdOLS is a splendid one to beholdOLS is a splendid one to beholdOLS is a splendid one to beholdOLS is a splendid one to behold

I agree that it is impractical, but I really don't store cigars in a humidor.. i leave my stuff in ice chests and
use humidors for short term storage, and my current two leave some to be desired. I have to wet my
beads once a week. Just terrible. So having one nice one would be a good thing. PLUS if you value the
Chateau Fuente "robustos" at 5 bucks each, which is a little high, that's a hundred bucks worth of cigars
so the humi only costs $150 ...............suckers, lol.
Old 11-05-2010, 02:00 PM   #7
neoflex
I'm nuts for the place

First Name: John
Trading: (32)
RA
neoflex is just really niceneoflex is just really niceneoflex is just really niceneoflex is just really niceneoflex is just really nice

Quote:
Originally Posted by Subvet642 View Post
For what it's worth, I like JR and buy most of my NCs from them. I'm still a total noob, so please tell me why do people seem to dislike them so much?
I don't dislike them but don't buy anything from them either but most of what I smoke is not available through them and some things that I do I can often find better deals elsewhere. I even have an Outlet a little over an hour away and still don't bother with them although two people I know have had issues with beetle outbreaks recently after stocking up at the Outlet so that too has not helped in my motivation to get in the car and drive that far when I have so many other better options locally. Not to mention the rest of the JR Outlet is rather trashy and attracts the crowd to follow.
Old 01-19-2011, 02:13 PM   #8
OLS
Suck It

Well it turns out this humidor was bad-a$$. It also turns out that I got the last one, or nearly so, since they
are now out of stock. But it arrives and it is heavy as hell, and I have only one complaint. The people
that hand painted the designs on it made the two Fuentes look as if they are both wearing noseglasses.
Which is funny in and of itself. But the humidor is larger than one would think. There are a ton of humis out
there that have this general shape, design, etc. But while I have never had one in my hand, they seem small
to me. This is not small. I could probably cram about 8 boxes of cigars in there, in the box. Unpacked, maybe it
is about a 300 ct. But it's really nice with the lacquer exterior and the quality spanish cedar interior It seals quite
well and passes the light test without a single photon escaping. I am leaving it in the box, as I said, I am not really
a humidor user at the present time. This is more of a smoking room, walk in humidor type item, all of which I am
too poor to consider now. But I am glad I got this when I did, and at the price I got it for.
Old 01-19-2011, 02:19 PM   #9
pektel
I'm nuts for the place

First Name: Peter
Trading: (28)
LGC
pektel is just really nicepektel is just really nicepektel is just really nicepektel is just really nicepektel is just really nice

Pics or it didn't happen.

Sorry, I just haven't seen this particular humi before, so I'm interested as to what it looks like.
Old 01-19-2011, 02:30 PM   #10
T.G
Grrrrrr

First Name: The Other Adam
Trading: (37)
Navy (Served With Honor)
T.G has disabled reputation

Quote:
Originally Posted by pektel View Post
Pics or it didn't happen.

Sorry, I just haven't seen this particular humi before, so I'm interested as to what it looks like.
I think this is the humidor that Brad is talking about:
http://www.jrcigars.com/index.cfm?pa...AFXHU&type=hum
http://www.amazon.com/Large-Chateau-.../dp/B001CZH8FW
T.G is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-19-2011, 02:50 PM   #11
pektel
I'm nuts for the place

LGC
pektel is just really nicepektel is just really nicepektel is just really nicepektel is just really nicepektel is just really nice

Thanks, Adam. I should've google searched it myself.
Old 01-19-2011, 03:14 PM   #12
T.G
Grrrrrr

Navy (Served With Honor)

Quote:
Originally Posted by pektel View Post
Thanks, Adam. I should've google searched it myself.
Yeah, well, getting Brad to take photos can be kind of difficult, although a humidor will hang around longer than his BBQ, so it might actually happen...

...someday.
Old 01-19-2011, 04:44 PM   #13
OLS
Suck It

Thanks Teege, I forgot that the link I posted would be dead now. And now for this past weeekends BBRs.
As you can see, I got to choppin again before I thought to take pics.
Attached Images
File Type: jpg ribs jan2011.jpg (95.2 KB, 219 views)
File Type: jpg ribs jan2011b.jpg (69.3 KB, 209 views)
Old 01-19-2011, 04:55 PM   #14
T.G
Grrrrrr

Navy (Served With Honor)

Nice looking ribs Brad.
Old 01-19-2011, 05:46 PM   #15
pektel
I'm nuts for the place

LGC

Those ribs look delicious, brad. Now I'm hungry and headed to the store.
Posted via Mobile Device
pektel is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-19-2011, 06:19 PM   #16
Smokin Gator
Just plain insane!

Trading: (106)
Partagas
Smokin Gator is a splendid one to beholdSmokin Gator is a splendid one to beholdSmokin Gator is a splendid one to beholdSmokin Gator is a splendid one to beholdSmokin Gator is a splendid one to beholdSmokin Gator is a splendid one to beholdSmokin Gator is a splendid one to beholdSmokin Gator is a splendid one to behold

That looks sweet Brad... Nice pick up!!!
Old 01-19-2011, 09:52 PM   #17
Eleven
Solid As The Sun

First Name: Scott
Trading: (23)
Eleven has a spectacular aura aboutEleven has a spectacular aura aboutEleven has a spectacular aura about

Quote:
Originally Posted by neoflex View Post
Not to mention the rest of the JR Outlet is rather trashy and attracts the crowd to follow.
I have been there, on our way home from N.C. to Ohio last summer. It reminds me of a 'Big Lots' or 'Odd Lots'.

The humidor area is HUGE. It is a separate, segregated area of the store but the strange thing is that when you walk in you notice the gigantic humidifiers in the ceiling, constantly spewing out vapor.

It almost seems *too* humid. You are IN a humidor the size of a small convenience store. Boxes of cigars are out on shelves all over the place, pipe tobacco is in a small area connected to the larger cigar side.

I did not see a single brand there that I thought was worth buying, and no real deals. I probably wouldn't ever stop back there again.

If I recall correctly, in the shopping center area, there was an outside store that looked more like your average Tinder Box, but it was closed that day.

CA: putting the 'man' in bromance since 2008! --markem.
Eleven is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-19-2011, 11:02 PM   #18
MarkinAZ
Formerly MarkinOR

First Name: Mark
Trading: (40)
Navy (Served With Honor)
MarkinAZ is a splendid one to beholdMarkinAZ is a splendid one to beholdMarkinAZ is a splendid one to beholdMarkinAZ is a splendid one to beholdMarkinAZ is a splendid one to beholdMarkinAZ is a splendid one to beholdMarkinAZ is a splendid one to behold

Quote:
Originally Posted by OLS View Post
Thanks Teege, I forgot that the link I posted would be dead now. And now for this past weeekends BBRs.
As you can see, I got to choppin again before I thought to take pics.
Don't be showing your meat here Brad BTW, nice humidor...