Cigar Asylum Cigar Forum  

Go Back   Cigar Asylum Cigar Forum > Non Cigar Specialty Forums > Misc > General Discussion

Old 02-25-2010, 10:06 AM   #321
hotreds
Ephesians 2:8

Trading: (63)
Bolivar
hotreds has disabled reputation
Default Re: Sleep Apnea Support/Questions Thread

So your machine gives you that number? I would be most interested in that if I could find it- kinda proof positive that a difference is being made, even if I don't really feel it.
Old 02-25-2010, 10:46 AM   #322
BigCat
My back is now unwatched.

First Name: Colin
Trading: (5)
BigCat will become famous soon enough

Quote:
Originally Posted by hotreds View Post
So your machine gives you that number? I would be most interested in that if I could find it- kinda proof positive that a difference is being made, even if I don't really feel it.
Yes, a lot of machines have a digital readout that gives you usage statistics and your AHI. I know some don't - my father's, for example. But I think even his has a card that reads the data so that his doctor can review it. Yours should as well. If there isn't any way to track your stats, you should talk to your doctor about getting one. As you say, you don't have any way of knowing if its working otherwise. I'd press hard on that if I were you.
Old 02-25-2010, 10:54 AM   #323
McSmokey
Feeling at Home

First Name: Justin
Trading: (30)
LGC
McSmokey will become famous soon enough

I'm scheduled to have a sleep study done in a couple of weeks and my wife is concerned if I need one of these machines that it will be too loud for her to be able to sleep in the same room any thing I can tell her good or bad would be appreciated
Old 02-25-2010, 11:02 AM   #324
Emjaysmash
The Hebrew Hammer

First Name: M.J.
Trading: (76)
Emjaysmash is a splendid one to beholdEmjaysmash is a splendid one to beholdEmjaysmash is a splendid one to beholdEmjaysmash is a splendid one to beholdEmjaysmash is a splendid one to beholdEmjaysmash is a splendid one to behold

Quote:
Originally Posted by McSmokey View Post
I'm scheduled to have a sleep study done in a couple of weeks and my wife is concerned if I need one of these machines that it will be too loud for her to be able to sleep in the same room any thing I can tell her good or bad would be appreciated
M fathers old machine used to be loud, however machine these days are very quiet. A fan on it's lowest setting is louder.
Old 02-25-2010, 11:14 AM   #325
hotreds
Ephesians 2:8

Trading: (63)
Bolivar
hotreds has disabled reputation

Quote:
Originally Posted by BigCat View Post
Yes, a lot of machines have a digital readout that gives you usage statistics and your AHI. I know some don't - my father's, for example. But I think even his has a card that reads the data so that his doctor can review it. Yours should as well. If there isn't any way to track your stats, you should talk to your doctor about getting one. As you say, you don't have any way of knowing if its working otherwise. I'd press hard on that if I were you.
I will, thanks! And, machines are quite quiet.
Old 02-25-2010, 11:17 AM   #326
BigCat

Quote:
Originally Posted by hotreds View Post
I will, thanks! And, machines are quite quiet.
You're welcome

Quote:
Originally Posted by McSmokey View Post
As others have said, its pretty quite. My wife describes it as white noise.
Old 02-25-2010, 11:28 AM   #327
Cyclone

Just saw this thread for the 1st time...

My name is Rudy and I have sleep apnea as well...

I was diagnosed about 5 years... Classic symptoms of snoring excessively, stopping breathing while sleeping, etc.

I was working on a large project where we had weekly update meetings @ 2pm... I would always fall asleep in those meetings... To the point that the other guys would be betting on how long it would take before I fell asleep.

My wife appreciates the fact that I can no longer snore and the sound of the CPAP is just white noise.

My Dad has sleep apnea as well... Before he was diagnosed, he would fall asleep playing cards! He also rolled a car and hit a couple of deer as well.
Old 02-27-2010, 03:22 PM   #328
Emjaysmash
The Hebrew Hammer

Emjaysmash is a splendid one to beholdEmjaysmash is a splendid one to beholdEmjaysmash is a splendid one to beholdEmjaysmash is a splendid one to beholdEmjaysmash is a splendid one to beholdEmjaysmash is a splendid one to behold

Does anyone have any issues with their face being chapped since using the mask? I've just noticed that the corner/side of my mouth is very dry and chapped and I dont really know what else to do about it. Any one else suffering?
Old 02-27-2010, 03:35 PM   #329
pnoon
YNWA

First Name: Peter
Trading: (20)
RA
pnoon has disabled reputation

Quote:
Originally Posted by Emjaysmash View Post
Does anyone have any issues with their face being chapped since using the mask? I've just noticed that the corner/side of my mouth is very dry and chapped and I dont really know what else to do about it. Any one else suffering?
I get that a bit. Using the humidifier helps.
Old 02-27-2010, 03:37 PM   #330
Emjaysmash
The Hebrew Hammer

Quote:
Originally Posted by pnoon View Post
I get that a bit. Using the humidifier helps.
I use the humidifier every night, on its highest setting. Am I over humidfied?
Old 02-27-2010, 03:46 PM   #331
eber
Have My Own Room

First Name: Erik
Trading: (7)
Bolivar
eber will become famous soon enough

Quote:
I use the humidifier every night, on its highest setting. Am I over humidfied?
I have similar issues however I tend to sleep with my mouth open and even with the humidifier on high I still wake up with an extremely dry mouth, anyone else have this problem?
eber is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-27-2010, 03:57 PM   #332
BigCat

Quote:
I get a little ring around my mouth where the mask sits sometimes and it seems to be more prevalent during the winter months. I've considered growing a goatee just to deal with it, but have heard that facial hair will hurt the seal. I don't know another solution really, sorry.
Old 03-26-2010, 07:11 PM   #333
ahc4353

Would love to read some updates.
Old 03-26-2010, 09:04 PM   #334
Commander Quan
Feeling at Home

First Name: Derrick
Trading: (4)
Bolivar
Commander Quan has a spectacular aura aboutCommander Quan has a spectacular aura about

I had a follow up with the Neurologist a couple weeks ago and she said that I don't have sleep apnea, and that I just snore a lot. Ironically she also said that I could possibly be narcoleptic because I hit REM in 3 minutes.
Commander Quan is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-26-2010, 11:47 PM   #335
kelmac07
Resident Maduro Whore!!

First Name: Mac
Trading: (218)
Bolivar Army (Retired)
kelmac07 has a reputation beyond reputekelmac07 has a reputation beyond reputekelmac07 has a reputation beyond reputekelmac07 has a reputation beyond reputekelmac07 has a reputation beyond reputekelmac07 has a reputation beyond reputekelmac07 has a reputation beyond reputekelmac07 has a reputation beyond reputekelmac07 has a reputation beyond reputekelmac07 has a reputation beyond reputekelmac07 has a reputation beyond repute

I tried sleeping without my CPAP for one night on my trip to Alaska...I couldn't fall alseep without it. It works like a champ!!
Old 09-12-2010, 10:46 PM   #336
pnoon
YNWA

RA

bump.
How's everybody doing?
Old 09-12-2010, 11:05 PM   #337
icehog3
Admiral Douchebag

First Name: Tom
Trading: (60)
HUpmann
icehog3 has disabled reputation

Quote:
Originally Posted by pnoon View Post
bump.
How's everybody doing?
Apparently I still snore pretty badly when I drink a quart of tequila, despite the two somnoplasty surgeries.

Thanks Dave, Julian, James, Kelly, Peter, Gerry, Dave, Mo, Frank, Týr and Mr. Mark!
icehog3 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-12-2010, 11:11 PM   #338
pnoon
YNWA

RA

CPAP is working for me. It's a a pain but it beats the alternative.
Old 09-13-2010, 04:58 AM   #339
Smokin Gator
Just plain insane!

Trading: (106)
Partagas
Smokin Gator is a splendid one to beholdSmokin Gator is a splendid one to beholdSmokin Gator is a splendid one to beholdSmokin Gator is a splendid one to beholdSmokin Gator is a splendid one to beholdSmokin Gator is a splendid one to beholdSmokin Gator is a splendid one to beholdSmokin Gator is a splendid one to behold

I can't imagine sleeping without a CPAP. I feel so good in the morning and hardly ever feel like I need an afternoon nap. A few years ago I almost fell asleep at the wheel several times in the mid-afternoon.

A few weeks ago the power went out during the night... I was awake is seconds of the CPAP going off.
Old 09-13-2010, 06:15 AM   #340
Eleven
Solid As The Sun

First Name: Scott
Trading: (23)
Eleven has a spectacular aura aboutEleven has a spectacular aura aboutEleven has a spectacular aura about

My wife is going for a sleep study soon. All of the classic symptoms of sleep apnea are there, and I can't tell you how glad I am that she is finally going to get checked out.

CA: putting the 'man' in bromance since 2008! --markem.
Eleven is offline   Reply With Quote