Cigar Asylum Cigar Forum  

Go Back   Cigar Asylum Cigar Forum > Non Cigar Specialty Forums > Pipe Forum > Reviews

Old 04-06-2010, 05:21 PM   #1
OLS
Suck It

First Name: Brad
Trading: (19)
Bolivar AirForce (Served With Honor)
OLS is a splendid one to beholdOLS is a splendid one to beholdOLS is a splendid one to beholdOLS is a splendid one to beholdOLS is a splendid one to beholdOLS is a splendid one to beholdOLS is a splendid one to behold
Default The 'I done blended it up" Thread

I like alot of what I have smoked so far, Escudo, McConnel's Scottish Cake, Bow-Legged Bear and some others.
But in many forum threads on blends, you see references to quick home-blending experiments to test what might happen.
Feel Free to place your ideas in this thread where made-up blends are documented and taste-tested.

"Memphis Blue Hangover" I took a sniff of the McConnells Scottish Cake and knew it would be perfect to tone down
Junkyard Dog and Bow-Legged Bear. I like all three, but am too new to really know if I like Latakia or not. Burley is
no better for me at this point. So I took:

2 parts McConnell's Scottish Cake
2 parts Frogmorton On the Town
1 Part Junkyard Dog
1 part Bow-legged Bear

The only trick is the cuts on all are basically a short cut ribbon or shred and the McConnell's is a "partially-rubbed"
flake I think, that looked like coins cut up a little. If you want to mix this excellent Va-Per, you might want to cut
it into 1/2 inch bits. Mix Thoroughly and enjoy. Just enough of the Orientals to salty up that good Virginia and
Perique sweetness and body up the taste with some of that raisin-ny-figgy tin aroma manifested in smoke.
I like this alot, with the smokey Latakia giving it that Memphis Edge.
OLS is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-25-2010, 08:28 PM   #2
MarkinAZ
Formerly MarkinOR

First Name: Mark
Trading: (40)
Navy (Served With Honor)
MarkinAZ is a splendid one to beholdMarkinAZ is a splendid one to beholdMarkinAZ is a splendid one to beholdMarkinAZ is a splendid one to beholdMarkinAZ is a splendid one to beholdMarkinAZ is a splendid one to beholdMarkinAZ is a splendid one to behold
Default Re: The 'I done blended it up" Thread

Time to revive...

Good idea for a thread Brad. After mixing, did you let your creation to sit and marry prior to smoking a bowl, or did you dive right in?
Old 05-25-2010, 08:50 PM   #3
RevSmoke
Ain't Never Gonna Leave

First Name: Todd
Trading: (51)
HUpmann
RevSmoke has a brilliant futureRevSmoke has a brilliant futureRevSmoke has a brilliant futureRevSmoke has a brilliant futureRevSmoke has a brilliant futureRevSmoke has a brilliant futureRevSmoke has a brilliant futureRevSmoke has a brilliant futureRevSmoke has a brilliant futureRevSmoke has a brilliant futureRevSmoke has a brilliant future

Here's a great recipe, but you better love Perique (I do).

6 parts McClelland 5100
6 parts McClelland 5105
3 parts Perique

That is a mixture that is 20% Perique. It is absolutely marvelous though.

Which reminds me, I don't think I have any sitting around anymore.
Old 05-25-2010, 09:40 PM   #4
MarkinAZ
Formerly MarkinOR

First Name: Mark
Trading: (40)
Navy (Served With Honor)
MarkinAZ is a splendid one to beholdMarkinAZ is a splendid one to beholdMarkinAZ is a splendid one to beholdMarkinAZ is a splendid one to beholdMarkinAZ is a splendid one to beholdMarkinAZ is a splendid one to beholdMarkinAZ is a splendid one to behold

I thought I would add the following web site for everyone' perusal:

http://tobaccoblending.com/index.htm

There appears to be some interesting recipes and how-to articles here. Enjoy...
Old 05-26-2010, 08:08 AM   #5
OLS
Suck It

OLS is a splendid one to beholdOLS is a splendid one to beholdOLS is a splendid one to beholdOLS is a splendid one to beholdOLS is a splendid one to beholdOLS is a splendid one to beholdOLS is a splendid one to behold

I smoked it up but kept back about 10-12 bowls worth for "aging". I liked it and it
suits me when little else will.
Old 09-01-2010, 09:33 AM   #6
the MacDonald
Grey beard, funky wierd

First Name: Joe
Trading: (9)
Trinidad
the MacDonald will become famous soon enough

Quote:
Originally Posted by OLS View Post
I smoked it up but kept back about 10-12 bowls worth for "aging". I liked it and it
suits me when little else will.
I have a jar that started out as Margaret with extra latakia, but has recieved some stray orientals, VA's, a dash of Abington, and/or whatever else isn't quit a full bowl. It has become blend that never ends. I have not touched it all summer until last saturday. It is so nice right now, I wish I kept track of what I put into it.
the MacDonald is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-02-2010, 03:37 PM   #7
Commander Quan
Feeling at Home

First Name: Derrick
Trading: (4)
Bolivar
Commander Quan has a spectacular aura aboutCommander Quan has a spectacular aura about

I have a jar I call the Floor Sweepings that are just the bits that are left over after I have finished a tin and don't have enough for a whole bowl. At this point it's kind of a Heinz 57 blend with God only knows what's still mixed in it.
Commander Quan is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-11-2011, 01:38 PM   #8
Nick
Feeling at Home

First Name: That's confidential
Trading: (4)
Nick is on a distinguished road

I may catch alot of flak for this but im not a big fan of anni cake. I had about 1/4 of a tin of both escudo and fillmore I had forgotten about. I decided to mix those two with the moister anni cake instead of rehydrating separately. It worked fantastic just that little bit of each of those gave the anni cake the fullness and flavor I was looking for. Plus the anni cake naturally rehydrates the dryer baccy. never done this before and pretty happy with it.
Old 04-11-2011, 01:41 PM   #9
Subvet642
Bilge Rat

First Name: Darren
Trading: (13)
LFdC Navy (Served With Honor)
Subvet642 is a name known to allSubvet642 is a name known to allSubvet642 is a name known to allSubvet642 is a name known to allSubvet642 is a name known to allSubvet642 is a name known to all

Right now I'm really liking Ashton's Consummate Gentleman with some Peterson's Irish Flake mixed in.
Old 04-11-2011, 02:10 PM   #10
OLS
Suck It

I was also not a fan of the anniversary either, but then I let some dry out to the proper moisture level
the other day, and of course, added almost a year of time by avoiding it all year, and wow, I liked it.
VERY plummy. In New Orleans I smoked some Anni and Escudo that had mixed in my leather pouch.
I was sitting there in the zoo smoking away, just digging it, my mom was diggin it, my nephew, the
crowd in the Jaguar exhibit. Never even thinking about what I was doing, it was so good and
smelled so great. Then this 350 pound employee comes waddling over at double waddle speed, wagging
her finger at me, "Sir, there is no smoking in the zoo!" Who was smoking?? I was enjoying my pipe.
.................................................. .................................................. ..................................