Cigar Asylum Cigar Forum  

Go Back   Cigar Asylum Cigar Forum > Non Cigar Specialty Forums > Misc > General Discussion

Old 12-21-2009, 01:56 PM   #121
Blueface
Gramps 4x's

First Name: Horatio Seymore Hiny
Trading: (8)
Bolivar
Blueface has disabled reputation
Default Re: Buying a new laptop- Apple?

Quote:
Originally Posted by KenS View Post
Wow, this is a direction I never saw this thread taking. Yikes!!

Old 12-21-2009, 01:59 PM   #122
goalie204
Have My Own Room

First Name: Myles
Trading: (12)
Bolivar
goalie204 will become famous soon enoughgoalie204 will become famous soon enough

you can have a great burger for 10 bux (or whatever) at a decent restaurant, or you can have a mcdonalds one for a buck. Should one go for the mcdonalds one just because it's cheaper? I'd personally rather have the much tastier real restaurant burger.
goalie204 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-21-2009, 02:09 PM   #123
replicant_argent
Gravy Boat Winnah.

First Name: Pete
Location: my attorney has advised against giving this information to insane people
Trading: (22)
LGC
replicant_argent is a name known to allreplicant_argent is a name known to allreplicant_argent is a name known to allreplicant_argent is a name known to allreplicant_argent is a name known to allreplicant_argent is a name known to all

hang on a second.....

I am really not sure how much blu-ray enters into a laptop discussion. Quite frankly.... How big is the screen?
You do critical watching of movies on a 13-17 inch screen? Wait... I hear the argument that you can use it as a media server to an external display....

Yeah.. if you are that into movies, you already have a dedicated blu-ray player.
You can install a radar detector in an old worn out Geo Metro, but you still really don't need the functionality.
Old 12-21-2009, 02:21 PM   #124
Blueface
Gramps 4x's

Bolivar

Quote:
Originally Posted by goalie204 View Post
you can have a great burger for 10 bux (or whatever) at a decent restaurant, or you can have a mcdonalds one for a buck. Should one go for the mcdonalds one just because it's cheaper? I'd personally rather have the much tastier real restaurant burger.
Wait, while I will agree mostly with this, that depends. I may settle for a middle of the road (price wise) In N Out or 5 Guys. YUMMY!!!
Man they are good!!!
Old 12-21-2009, 02:58 PM   #125
Will herf for food

First Name: Mike
Trading: (9)
VR
357 is a splendid one to behold357 is a splendid one to behold357 is a splendid one to behold357 is a splendid one to behold357 is a splendid one to behold357 is a splendid one to behold

I love the virus argument. Let's explore that one. According to the stats here:

http://www.businessinsider.com/apple...s-sinks-2009-4

Apple's market share gains levelled off at a whopping 7.4%. WOW.

According to the sources quoted here:
http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Microsoft_Windows

Microsoft owns 91% of the OS market share.

Now lets consider motives.

Q: What is the primary motive for writing viruses and spyware?

A: To cause either chaos (viruses) or to make money (market research statistics forwarded to a central point, or via theft/fraud)

Q: Why would someone go through the trouble of writing code for these complex applications (virus/spyware) for a platform that only affects 7.4% of the market?

A: Good question. Primarily they don't.
Old 12-21-2009, 03:43 PM   #126
KenS
When do I get my meds?

Trading: (26)
Partagas
KenS has a spectacular aura aboutKenS has a spectacular aura about

Quote:
Originally Posted by 357 View Post

A: To cause either chaos (viruses) or to make money (market research statistics forwarded to a central point, or via theft/fraud)

Q: Why would someone go through the trouble of writing code for these complex applications (virus/spyware) for a platform that only affects 7.4% of the market?

Ummm, ok, let's explore:
So the *reason* that Mac users don't have to hassle with viruses, and virus protection is somehow relevant?

Customer: Wow, macs aren't peppered with viruses and malware all the time, and I don't need to buy all that crap to load up the machine! I'll get one of those!

Salesman: No, no, don't do that. Windows has a much larger marketshare, so that excuses the viruses. You'll love running scans all the time, knowing that your machine is a more attractive target! You silly boy!

Old 12-21-2009, 03:52 PM   #127
Blueface
Gramps 4x's

Bolivar

Quote:

I think you are making the point for us Mac users. Don't care if I am only 1% of the market. I am the 1% living carefree.
Old 12-21-2009, 03:53 PM   #128
Blueface
Gramps 4x's

Bolivar

Quote:
Originally Posted by KenS View Post
Ummm, ok, let's explore:
So the *reason* that Mac users don't have to hassle with viruses, and virus protection is somehow relevant?

Customer: Wow, macs aren't peppered with viruses and malware all the time, and I don't need to buy all that crap to load up the machine! I'll get one of those!

Salesman: No, no, don't do that. Windows has a much larger marketshare, so that excuses the viruses. You'll love running scans all the time, knowing that your machine is a more attractive target! You silly boy!

Old 12-21-2009, 04:04 PM   #129
replicant_argent
Gravy Boat Winnah.

First Name: Pete
Location: my attorney has advised against giving this information to insane people
Trading: (22)
LGC
replicant_argent is a name known to allreplicant_argent is a name known to allreplicant_argent is a name known to allreplicant_argent is a name known to allreplicant_argent is a name known to allreplicant_argent is a name known to all

Quote:
Originally Posted by Blueface View Post
I don't get to use this very often....

:

While I am at it, while I am not a commodities dealer in Southeast Asia and have no interest in such ventures, I will now attempt to give a crap about the price of rice in China.

Last edited by replicant_argent; 12-21-2009 at 04:13 PM.
replicant_argent is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-21-2009, 04:36 PM   #130
Blueface
Gramps 4x's

Bolivar

Quote:
Originally Posted by replicant_argent View Post
I don't get to use this very often....

:

While I am at it, while I am not a commodities dealer in Southeast Asia and have no interest in such ventures, I will now attempt to give a crap about the price of rice in China.
.....and what do you have against tea? I prefer to care about the price of tea in China better.
Old 12-21-2009, 04:41 PM   #131
floydp
Team of 11

First Name: Frank
Trading: (0)
Partagas MarineCorps (Served With Honor)
floydp will become famous soon enough

Quote:

And I hope it stays that way.

I'm the geek in my family, and when my kids ask what machine to get I suggest the Mac first because I'd see it less. I can use a windows machine forever without getting virus's or malicious code but that doesn't hold true for my kids and their kids. And who does the unfarging of their machines? I do. I've reformatted more windows based machines than I care to remember. Three years of running OS X and I've done it once, to see how difficult it was. None of us do any business on our machines so I wouldn't even venture in to that part of the argument. But for the design, OS and ease of use I highly recommend a Mac.

For price I suggest a Windows 7 machine. Been running 7 since the end of October on a 4 year old Gateway desktop without issue. Also have a recently purchased Dell 1545 laptop that impresses me because it cost 500 bux and works quite well.

You can make an argument and structure it to suit whatever machine you prefer. Ultimately we are all bias about what we like and will to no end justify and support just how sound our own purchases are. Go to the Apple store and to Best Buy, Staples or whatever you have access to and test drive and then decide.

Doesn't matter what OS you prefer, just as long as it allows you to access The Nut House. Happy Holidays Geeks.
Old 12-21-2009, 05:15 PM   #132
KenS
When do I get my meds?

Trading: (26)
Partagas
KenS has a spectacular aura aboutKenS has a spectacular aura about

Quote:
Originally Posted by floydp View Post
Doesn't matter what OS you prefer, just as long as it allows you to access The Nut House. Happy Holidays Geeks.
Well said sir. Happy Holidays to you and yours
Old 12-22-2009, 11:15 AM   #133
Will herf for food

VR
357 is a splendid one to behold357 is a splendid one to behold357 is a splendid one to behold357 is a splendid one to behold357 is a splendid one to behold357 is a splendid one to behold

Quote:
Originally Posted by Blueface View Post

I think you are making the point for us Mac users. Don't care if I am only 1% of the market. I am the 1% living carefree.
I'm sure all the beta max owners felt the same way. Beta max claimed to be better, smaller, etc. At first it held its niche market. Soon less and less titles were released on beta max. It wasn't long after that it became obvious; the world had deemed it irrelevant..

At some point you will need Windows. Most likely it'll be some appliction or game you want that isn't offered for Macs. Then you get to try and figure out how to use some emulator or dual-boot option. See how easy that "just works" or how intuitive it is. I will never need to emulate Mac OS X because every app I could ever possible want or need runs on Windows. I'm sure this is true of 99-100% of Windows users. I wonder what percentage of Mac users have to put their techie hat on to figure out how to emulate Windows? From their own admission it sounds like at least half of the Mac users who've been posting in this thread have had to at some point.

This is just one of the pains of using an OS that the world has deemed irrelevent. Remeber the virus argument? To expand that line of thinking, why bother writing your application/game twice only to reach an additional 7% of the market? These kind of things become apparent to the software companies, especially in a recession.

BTW, Merry Christmas! I hope you guys are enjoying this as much as I am.
Old 12-22-2009, 11:20 AM   #134
Will herf for food

VR

In honor of this thread; at next year's Shack Herf I will make sure to wear a T-shirt with an Apple logo on it. Of course it will have a red circle around it with a & slash through it.

Old 12-22-2009, 11:41 AM   #135
Blueface
Gramps 4x's

Bolivar

Quote:
I'm sure all the beta max owners felt the same way. Beta max claimed to be better, smaller, etc. At first it held its niche market. Soon less and less titles were released on beta max. It wasn't long after that it became obvious; the world had deemed it irrelevant..
I think it is quite safe for me to say that not only has Apple outlasted the Beta, but it has also grown to an incredible magnitude that was not expected. In their early days, many said they wouldn't last. They incorporated in 1977. It is now 2010. My simple math yields that to be 33 years.
Remember, while I can accept your 7% niche argument as haven't attempted to validate it, that 7% is all Apple for the most part.
The remaining 93% is NOT all Microsoft.

Say what whoever wants to say to support one or the other, the fact remains Apple and Macs are not Beta. They are here for the long haul as they have proven.

BTW, I never bought a Beta but I did have 8-tracks, cassettes, vinyl records and oh, an AMC Gremlin. All long gone too.
Old 12-22-2009, 11:50 AM   #136
Blueface
Gramps 4x's

Bolivar

deleted as post duplicated

Last edited by Blueface; 12-22-2009 at 11:56 AM. Reason: Duplicate post
Blueface is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-22-2009, 11:51 AM   #137
Blueface
Gramps 4x's

Bolivar

Did some reading.
Thought I would share.

The iPhone gets the most press and the iPod sells in the largest quantities, but it's the Macintosh that really drives Apple's growth, says Gene Munster.

In the second installment of a multipart report on Apple's "3 Cylinder Engine," Piper Jaffray's chief Apple (AAPL) analyst looks at the Mac business over the next couple of years and likes what he sees. In particular:

Growth: After Apple introduced the Intel Macs, Mac sales grew 37% in 2007, more than double the industry-wide rate of 15%. Munster is modeling 2.0 to 2.1 million Macs for the March quarter (vs. the Street's 1.95 million). He believes Apple will continue to outpace its competitors with upgraded iMacs and Mac minis in the next 3 months and redesigned MacBooks and MacBook Pros in time for the '08 education season.
Market Share: According to IDC, Apple's worldwide market share grew from 2.4% in 2006 to 2.9% in 2007. (See chart below.) Munster is conservatively modeling global market share to remain flat this year, but he notes that enterprise sales account for 70% of the worldwide market, a segment Apple is not aggressively targeting. In the consumer market, where Apple does compete, he estimates the Mac's share is now 10% worldwide and an impressive 21% in the U.S.
Sales Price: While Apple has gained market share over the past three years, it has also been able to resist the industry trend of decreasing sales prices. In fact, it actually increased its average sales price (ASP) by more than $150 from December '05 to December '07. "The combination of increasing ASPs and rising market share is evidence of a compelling product line," writes Munster.
Old 12-22-2009, 11:54 AM   #138
mmblz

Trading: (3)
Partagas
mmblz has disabled reputation

Quote:
At some point you will need Windows. Most likely it'll be some appliction or game you want that isn't offered for Macs. Then you get to try and figure out how to use some emulator or dual-boot option. See how easy that "just works" or how intuitive it is. I will never need to emulate Mac OS X because every app I could ever possible want or need runs on Windows. I'm sure this is true of 99-100% of Windows users. I wonder what percentage of Mac users have to put their techie hat on to figure out how to emulate Windows? From their own admission it sounds like at least half of the Mac users who've been posting in this thread have had to at some point.

I use both every day. Actually, I use 10.4, 10.5, 10.6, XP, Vista, and Win 7 almost every day. The only reason I've ever "needed" Windows is for compiling/testing for work.
Macs are easier to use and have less problems. If you ever do "need" windows, VMWare Fusion is very easy to use and is a great product.

As far as running OSX on non-Apple hardware, first of all it is illegal. But even ignoring that, it's not going to give you two finger scrolling
Old 12-22-2009, 12:36 PM   #139
bazookajoe

First Name: david
Trading: (72)
bazookajoe has disabled reputation

Quote:

This is just one of the pains of using an OS that the world has deemed irrelevent. Remeber the virus argument? To expand that line of thinking, why bother writing your application/game twice only to reach an additional 7% of the market? These kind of things become apparent to the software companies, especially in a recession.
Beta was a better format, much better picture than VHS. The fact that the world found the format irrelevant doesn't mean it was inferior. Mercedes, BMW, Audi etc. have relatively small market shares. Since the world is made up of mostly followers, the last factor I would use to make a decision about what's best is the opinion of the masses. People often choose low cost over quality, that's why there are $29 dvd players and $1 cigars. I prefer to choose the best combination of quality and cost that fits my budget - I'd rather have less but better stuff than massive quantities of cheap stuff. Cheaper or more widely used simply doesn't equal "better".

Quote:
BTW, Merry Christmas! I hope you guys are enjoying this as much as I am.
I am.
bazookajoe is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-22-2009, 12:49 PM   #140
Blueface
Gramps 4x's

Bolivar

I just realized, Apple will survive just with me alone.

MacBook
iPod Nano - no video
iPod Nano - video
iPod touch (first generation)
iPhone

Dreaming of moving up to a MacBook Pro 17", once I am done paying my current one on "same as cash" and can find another similar "same as cash" offer.
Waiting on the 4G iPhone to upgrade.
I'd buy a car if they sold one.
Just bought a lawnmower or otherwise would be interested in one from them also.

Forgot to mention, the iPod touch is my 2.5 year old grandson's. I figured I would taint his opinion early on to our side. He uses it all the time. Knows his way around all his applications. Awesome tool with flash card games for him to learn. Apple, so easy even a 2.5 year old can use it. I want to hear Bill Gates say that about Microsoft.

Last edited by Blueface; 12-22-2009 at 12:57 PM.
Blueface is offline   Reply With Quote