Cigar Asylum Cigar Forum  

Go Back   Cigar Asylum Cigar Forum > Non Cigar Specialty Forums > Misc > General Discussion

Old 02-01-2013, 10:25 PM   #1
spectrrr
Back in the midwest!

First Name: Frank
Trading: (20)
LGC
spectrrr is a name known to allspectrrr is a name known to allspectrrr is a name known to allspectrrr is a name known to allspectrrr is a name known to allspectrrr is a name known to all
Default how would you like to have this job?

how would you like to have this job? "free climbing" at 1700 feet? NO THANK YOU!! Bet the view is bloody spectacular though....
http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=yCYZZPwJr_c
Old 02-02-2013, 07:16 AM   #2
Ogre
****CENSORED****

First Name: Larry
Trading: (46)
Montecristo
Ogre has a brilliant futureOgre has a brilliant futureOgre has a brilliant futureOgre has a brilliant futureOgre has a brilliant futureOgre has a brilliant futureOgre has a brilliant futureOgre has a brilliant futureOgre has a brilliant futureOgre has a brilliant futureOgre has a brilliant future
Default Re: how would you like to have this job?

Yea right!!! You go for it.
Old 02-02-2013, 07:35 AM   #3
Bondo 287
Runaway Train

First Name: Mikael
Trading: (0)
Cohiba
Bondo 287 will become famous soon enough

I think I'm going to be sick
Bondo 287 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-02-2013, 07:38 AM   #4
688sonarmen
Shipmate!

First Name: Jake
Trading: (17)
Bolivar Navy (Active)
688sonarmen is just really nice688sonarmen is just really nice688sonarmen is just really nice688sonarmen is just really nice

200' or 2,000,000 makes no difference. I would not do either.
688sonarmen is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-02-2013, 07:46 AM   #5
Bondo 287
Runaway Train

Cohiba

That's why I say "I'm not afraid of heights, I'm afraid of falling."
Little Piper aircraft, scaffolds, Roofs, no big deal as long as something trusting is under me I'm OK.
I've been up 60 feet in a bucket, no problem. But painting the arch of the second floor on a shaky ladder, very uncomfortable.
But a pole with rungs, no platform under me when I look down .. eeeeeewwww
Old 02-02-2013, 07:54 AM   #6
spectrrr
Back in the midwest!

First Name: Frank
Trading: (20)
LGC
spectrrr is a name known to allspectrrr is a name known to allspectrrr is a name known to allspectrrr is a name known to allspectrrr is a name known to allspectrrr is a name known to all

I particularly liked the "transitions" where they had to climb over things. Seriously, couldn't the tower builders have made that just a little easier?
Old 02-02-2013, 08:29 AM   #7
shilala
Dear Lord, Thank You.

First Name: Scott
Trading: (252)
Cuaba
shilala has a reputation beyond reputeshilala has a reputation beyond reputeshilala has a reputation beyond reputeshilala has a reputation beyond reputeshilala has a reputation beyond reputeshilala has a reputation beyond reputeshilala has a reputation beyond reputeshilala has a reputation beyond reputeshilala has a reputation beyond reputeshilala has a reputation beyond reputeshilala has a reputation beyond repute

Once upon a time, I watched a hybrid of the nonsense in this video.
The tower was the same type, but I was up about 300', at the top of the powerhouse. On top of that was a structure that went up another 100' feet or so, then the steel tower sat on top of that.
The guy's ladder was only about 10' long, had hooks on its end, and hung at about a 45* angle from the wire that held the insulators. (Literally standing on a ladder hanging off a powered wire with nothing but 600' of air underneath him.)
He only had one other guy with him, that guy had the radio and he ran hand signals to the chopper.
He'd unhook one end of the string of insulators, a helicopter would swing in with a grappling hook, he'd slap it on the tied end of the insulator, cut it loose, swing all over, and wait for the helicopter to drop it off and bring him a new string of insulators to install
There were a million ways that guy could have died at any minute, and he was doing the job for about 30 bucks an hour plus benefits.

A buddy of mine changed the lightbulbs on masts like this one, but shorter. It was just a side job he did when he wasn't hustling. He got $700 to change bulbs on the top, $350 to change any set of 4 going up the sides, but that was a good 20 years ago.

All you guys could handle the height. 100' or 500' makes no difference. You get used to the height by lunchtime. It's the hanging over the edge that makes your butthole pucker a bit. After a bit you just get tired of being scared, because it wears you out, and you just get out there and do what it takes to feed the kids. It's no different than walking around the living room, except it smells bad, it's dirty, and it's really cold or really hot.

You really have to be in shape to climb. That's why you take the stairs all day every day. Once you can run up 14 flights of stairs, you can climb like a monkey.
Old 02-02-2013, 08:52 AM   #8
hotreds
Ephesians 2:8

Trading: (63)
Bolivar
hotreds has disabled reputation

I'm sure that helmet would do him a lot of good if he fell on his head!

These guys don't need no stinkin' gym!
Old 02-02-2013, 09:00 AM   #9
Bondo 287
Runaway Train

Cohiba

Yeah Shiala I saw that helicopter one with the High Tension wires where he discharges himself with the probes 300' in the air. Absolutely amazing.

Just say no to "butthole pucker"

Last edited by Bondo 287; 02-02-2013 at 09:06 AM.