Cigar Asylum Cigar Forum  

Go Back   Cigar Asylum Cigar Forum > Cigar Forums > Accessory Discussion / Reviews

Old 04-01-2013, 07:18 PM   #1
bluesy
Just in from the Storm

First Name: Chris
Trading: (0)
bluesy is on a distinguished road
Default Humidor Divider Foam/Rubber

I recently bought a new humidor from the devil's site that I just received this evening. Unfortunately, the little foam rubber bits that stick to the ends of the dividers (both the big ones for the bottom and the small one for the top tray) seemed to have gotten knocked off in shipping and stuck together.

I tried putting them back in place, but I'm not sure they will stick and the ones for the small divider stuck to each other so that I couldn't get them apart. I've e-mailed the devil's site support to see if they can get me some replacements, but if they can't or its not worth the hassle does anyone have any suggestions on what I can use in place of it? I was only able to find one old thread on this topic when I searched so I'm hoping there's some additional advice now.
bluesy is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-01-2013, 07:54 PM   #2
SvilleKid
Yes I am a Pirate

Trading: (52)
SvilleKid has disabled reputation
Default Re: Humidor Divider Foam/Rubber

There are any number of self-stick foam tapes out there, in a variety of thickness. Think "door insulation strips" at home improvement stores.
Old 04-02-2013, 07:55 AM   #3
equetefue
Liga Privada Hoarder

First Name: Edwin
Trading: (17)
Partagas AirForce (Disabled Vet)
equetefue has a spectacular aura aboutequetefue has a spectacular aura about

3m makes the strips and they are sold at Walmart and Home improvement centers.
equetefue is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-02-2013, 09:49 AM   #4
bluesy
Just in from the Storm

Thanks!

Also, another question related to the humi if anyone has experience with this. I noticed one of the hinges squeaks a bit when opening/closing. Since the hinges are outside the internal space of the humidor, I'm thinking it should be fine to use a bit of oil on them. Thoughts? I'm thinking something like dry (bicycle) chain lube or 3 in 1 oil...
Old 04-02-2013, 11:52 AM   #5
scottdurand
Still Watching My Back

First Name: Scott
scottdurand is on a distinguished road

Quote:
Originally Posted by bluesy View Post
Thanks!

Also, another question related to the humi if anyone has experience with this. I noticed one of the hinges squeaks a bit when opening/closing. Since the hinges are outside the internal space of the humidor, I'm thinking it should be fine to use a bit of oil on them. Thoughts? I'm thinking something like dry (bicycle) chain lube or 3 in 1 oil...
Unscented KY
scottdurand is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-02-2013, 11:58 AM   #6
Lockspur
Have My Own Room

First Name: Scotty
Trading: (31)
Lockspur is just really niceLockspur is just really niceLockspur is just really niceLockspur is just really nice

If you have any motor oil handy, a drop of that should do the trick. I find chain lube to be a bit tacky.
Lockspur is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-02-2013, 01:03 PM   #7
gnbikes
Feeling at Home

First Name: Garry
Trading: (3)
RyJ
gnbikes is on a distinguished road

Quote:
Originally Posted by bluesy View Post
Thanks!

most chain lubes have a heavy scent to them. I would use a drop of vegatable oil.
Garry-
gnbikes is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-02-2013, 08:26 PM   #8
Sadden
Its only money...

First Name: Colin
Cohiba
Sadden will become famous soon enough

Quote:
Originally Posted by gnbikes View Post
most chain lubes have a heavy scent to them. I would use a drop of vegatable oil.
Garry-
Best advice here
Old 04-08-2013, 12:56 PM   #9
AdamJoshua
Article 4 Free Inhabitant

First Name: The Other Adam
Trading: (40)
Bolivar Army (Served With Honor)
AdamJoshua has much to be proud ofAdamJoshua has much to be proud ofAdamJoshua has much to be proud ofAdamJoshua has much to be proud ofAdamJoshua has much to be proud ofAdamJoshua has much to be proud ofAdamJoshua has much to be proud ofAdamJoshua has much to be proud ofAdamJoshua has much to be proud ofAdamJoshua has much to be proud of

Quote:
Originally Posted by gnbikes View Post
Garry-
+1

Also most places (Target, Walmart, Office supply stores) sell "self-adhesive felt" in little packages either in the furniture area or office supplies, exactly what you want for the ends of dividers in your humidor.
AdamJoshua is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-13-2013, 06:40 PM   #10
bluesy
Just in from the Storm

Thanks everyone for the advice!

Just an update, support for the devil's site is awesome and sent me new adhesive strips for the dividers. If I'm being picky, the dividers are a little off size wise - for example, the top tray divider needs two strips on one side, and the bottom ones barely fit with a single strip, but the humi seems to have a nice seal and once the dividers are in place, I doubt I'll be moving them much.

I've held off on doing anything to lube the hinge since I don't know how big of a deal I find the creaky hinge. Maybe it can serve as an early warning system if someone's trying to get at my smokes. I'll keep in mind the vegetable oil suggestion though if I get sick of the noise.

Thanks again!