Cigar Asylum Cigar Forum  

Go Back   Cigar Asylum Cigar Forum > Cigar Forums > Island (The other ones) Reviews

Old 06-18-2010, 11:41 AM   #1
BC-Axeman

Default Famous 70th Anni by RP

I got a couple of these toro sized in a free sample from Famous. Here is the Famous blurb:

Famous 70th Anniversary by Rocky Patel cigars present another full-bodied masterpiece from Rocky Patel. Made in limited edition, each Famous 70th Anniversary by Rocky Patel cigar boasts a lush, oily Ecuadorian Cuban seed wrapper that encases a savory blend of diverse, extra-long-aged Nicaraguan longfiller tobaccos bound in a robust Honduran tobacco leaf. You'll delight in a luxuriously smooth, complex smoke brimming with a perfectly-balanced banquet of earthy, spicy flavors and aromas.

Appearance is dark leather brown oily smooth wrapper with a very nice band. Feels firm for being ROTT. Smell is spicy tobacco. Slightly pungent.

Initial flavors made me want to toss the cigar, and I rarely will do that, but something made me think it would get better. It was strong and harsh with a hot feel and nose burning smell. Very strong.

After about ten puffs it was starting to mellow out a bit and the flavors were getting complex. Smoky chocolate and nutty coffee are some of the tastes. Very full bodied and a good nic buzz was already starting.

At about the half way point it is really smoothing out and is very flavorful. A great end of day cigar. The nic buzz makes me not want to get up. Burn has been perfect.

I am thinking Opus X or PAM or Pepin blue or other strong high end cigar here. I sadly had to finish it at the last third point as my quiet time was over and a wedding rehearsal dinner party was beginning. The cigar was still getting better. It had not needed a single touch up or relight in 45 minutes.

Summary: I am glad I stuck with this one. A strong relaxing flavorful cigar. I'm looking forward to the other one.

Would I buy one? Absolutely!
Would I buy a box? I have so many cigars already. I don't have any as strong as these. I may just get a box as the price is good.
Old 06-18-2010, 12:30 PM   #2
68TriShield
Got Torque?

First Name: Dave
Trading: (40)
HUpmann
68TriShield has disabled reputation
Default Re: Famous 70th Anni by RP

Interesting review,now you have me curious.
68TriShield is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-18-2010, 02:53 PM   #3
Montano
Bourbon IS a food group

First Name: Nick
Trading: (33)
Cohiba Navy (Served With Honor)
Montano is a jewel in the roughMontano is a jewel in the roughMontano is a jewel in the roughMontano is a jewel in the rough

Quote:
Originally Posted by 68TriShield View Post
Interesting review,now you have me curious.
x2
Old 06-19-2010, 09:15 AM   #4
Texan in Mexico
Feeling at Home

First Name: Travis
Trading: (0)
LGC
Texan in Mexico has disabled reputation

Must resist temptation to start by buying RP again!

Ok, maybe just a fiver hahaha
Texan in Mexico is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-19-2010, 09:55 AM   #5
BC-Axeman

This brand is part of a series from:
CAO
Camacho
LaAurora
Oliva
Padron
Perdomo