Cigar Asylum Cigar Forum  

Go Back   Cigar Asylum Cigar Forum > Non Cigar Specialty Forums > Pipe Forum > Discussion

Old 03-29-2011, 09:56 AM   #21
Emjaysmash
The Hebrew Hammer

First Name: M.J.
Trading: (76)
Emjaysmash is a splendid one to beholdEmjaysmash is a splendid one to beholdEmjaysmash is a splendid one to beholdEmjaysmash is a splendid one to beholdEmjaysmash is a splendid one to beholdEmjaysmash is a splendid one to behold
Default Re: How to get started smoking pipes

Quote:
Originally Posted by Mugen910 View Post
I have a tin of Davidoff something..why I bought it I don't recall but can't for the life of me open the dang tin. I keep thinking I may spill it all over the place and waste the whole tin.
stick a knife under the lip ans slowly bend it out. Most tins are vacuum sealed and you need to get a litte air in there to open her up. You should hear a pop or the sound of the air rushing in. Also, the tobacco is proabaly wrapped in some sort of paper in the tin so it won't all fall out everywhere.
Old 03-29-2011, 10:36 AM   #22
MurphysLaw
Anything can go wrong

First Name: Brian
Trading: (19)
Partagas
MurphysLaw is just really niceMurphysLaw is just really niceMurphysLaw is just really niceMurphysLaw is just really niceMurphysLaw is just really nice

Quote:
Originally Posted by Mister Moo View Post
Downside: Captain Black is pretty moist (and stays that way). Don't be surprised if things get a little soggy at the bottom of the bowl (and needs to be pitched before you hit bedrock) or a pipe goes out a few times when smoking CB - nature of the beast, relighting pipes. Some pipe/tobacco combinations easily burn to the bottom on one light but, outside of experienced hands, most will not.

Upside: you can forget about a half-smoked open pouch for months and it probably won't crumble to dust when you pick it back up.

Sounds like you're off to a better start than I was. I had to call the local fire department to hose down my tongue.
I was very careful to smoke slowly, even slower than I'll smoke a small RG cigar, as I wanted my first experience to be positive. I might pass by my B&M and snag a small tin of something else, they have a sampler set of 1/2oz tins on the website, but it shows them as out of stock maybe I can get the same deal in the store.
MurphysLaw is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-29-2011, 11:11 AM   #23
Mister Moo
I barely grok the obvious

First Name: Dan
Trading: (3)
HUpmann Army (Served With Honor)
Mister Moo is a jewel in the roughMister Moo is a jewel in the roughMister Moo is a jewel in the roughMister Moo is a jewel in the rough

never a problem with a pouch of carter hall.

I rest my case.
Quote:
Originally Posted by Emjaysmash View Post
stick a knife under the lip ans slowly bend it out. Most tins are vacuum sealed and you need to get a litte air in there to open her up. You should hear a pop or the sound of the air rushing in. Also, the tobacco is proabaly wrapped in some sort of paper in the tin so it won't all fall out everywhere.
Old 03-29-2011, 12:16 PM   #24
Emjaysmash
The Hebrew Hammer

Emjaysmash is a splendid one to beholdEmjaysmash is a splendid one to beholdEmjaysmash is a splendid one to beholdEmjaysmash is a splendid one to beholdEmjaysmash is a splendid one to beholdEmjaysmash is a splendid one to behold

Quote:
never a problem with a pouch of carter hall.

I rest my case.
LOL! Good point!
Old 03-29-2011, 08:50 PM   #25
RevSmoke
Ain't Never Gonna Leave

First Name: Todd
Trading: (51)
HUpmann
RevSmoke has a brilliant futureRevSmoke has a brilliant futureRevSmoke has a brilliant futureRevSmoke has a brilliant futureRevSmoke has a brilliant futureRevSmoke has a brilliant futureRevSmoke has a brilliant futureRevSmoke has a brilliant futureRevSmoke has a brilliant futureRevSmoke has a brilliant futureRevSmoke has a brilliant future

There is nothing like opening a tin and getting that first whiff. And then, the wax paper all browned from the tobacco. Mmmmm.
Old 03-29-2011, 09:11 PM   #26
Zeuceone
You're next

First Name: G
Trading: (16)
LGC
Zeuceone has disabled reputation

Can you light a pipe with a torch lighter or is it not a smart way to do it? Do you smoke it like a cigar and not inhale? How long does a tin last if you smoke daily? I went into a local B&M and noticed all the pipe tobacco they had which was pretty cheap but had some questions.
Zeuceone is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-29-2011, 09:32 PM   #27
sam a
... .. .

Trading: (2)
QdO
sam a has disabled reputation

Quote:
Originally Posted by Zeuceone View Post
Can you light a pipe with a torch lighter or is it not a smart way to do it? no torch it can burn the pipe Do you smoke it like a cigar and not inhale? i dont inhale, and i wouldn't recommend it How long does a tin last if you smoke daily? it depends on how big the tin is, how big your bowl is, and how many times you smoke from that tin per day I went into a local B&M and noticed all the pipe tobacco they had which was pretty cheap but had some questions.
Old 03-29-2011, 09:46 PM   #28
mariogolbee

Thanks for this post, Dan. I may pack up some of my baccy for now and move back to square one.
Old 03-29-2011, 11:04 PM   #29
benedic08
Bob's great grandson

First Name: Benedic
Trading: (8)
Bolivar
benedic08 has a spectacular aura aboutbenedic08 has a spectacular aura about

Quote:
Originally Posted by mariogolbee View Post
Thanks for this post, Dan. I may pack up some of my baccy for now and move back to square one.
I got a tub of carter hall.... Pass by the house you can have half or more!
benedic08 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-29-2011, 11:08 PM   #30
benedic08
Bob's great grandson

Bolivar

Oh yeah question. How do you smoke to the bottom of the bowl? Usually toward the end my pipe just keeps going out. I found some advice to use the pointy part of the pipe tool and stir it, tamp then relight but what happened was i got a mouth full of ash! Any advice? Thanks
Old 03-29-2011, 11:27 PM   #31
pektel
I'm nuts for the place

First Name: Peter
Trading: (28)
LGC
pektel is just really nicepektel is just really nicepektel is just really nicepektel is just really nicepektel is just really nice

Use a filter? I have NEVER smoked a pipe, but that's my guess as how to eliminate it..
Posted via Mobile Device
pektel is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-30-2011, 05:36 AM   #32
Mister Moo

Mister Moo is a jewel in the roughMister Moo is a jewel in the roughMister Moo is a jewel in the roughMister Moo is a jewel in the rough

Quote:
Originally Posted by benedic08 View Post
Oh yeah question. How do you smoke to the bottom of the bowl? Usually toward the end my pipe just keeps going out. I found some advice to use the pointy part of the pipe tool and stir it, tamp then relight but what happened was i got a mouth full of ash! Any advice? Thanks
By the numbers:

1. Questions here are limited to newguys with cobs and OTC burley. Anything else demands the thoughtful touch of the experts in the "Ask an Old Fart" thread.

2. Assuming you have a cob that won't burn to the bottom AND you can get ashes in your mouth that means:
a) the tobacco has burned down to the level of the (very large) airhole; and
b) the unburned tobacco remaining in the pipe is probably below the airhole where it ain't a-gonna burn. Fergettabowdit. Smoke's over. Dump it. You're a shave-tail slick-sleeved rookie smoking the cheapest tobacco money can buy for crying out loud - dump it! What do you think this is - an International Longest Smoke Competition? Refill and enjoy a new pipeful.
c) cob-smoke duration will improve along with your pipe-filling skills; the unburned soggy stuff (dottle) at the bottom of the pipe can be eliminated with pipe mud. Ask an old fart about that after a while.

3. That pointy thing on the pipe tool is good for poking holes in celery.
Old 03-30-2011, 12:49 PM   #33
benedic08
Bob's great grandson

Bolivar

Quote:
By the numbers:

1. Questions here are limited to newguys with cobs and OTC burley. Anything else demands the thoughtful touch of the experts in the "Ask an Old Fart" thread.

2. Assuming you have a cob that won't burn to the bottom AND you can get ashes in your mouth that means:
a) the tobacco has burned down to the level of the (very large) airhole; and
b) the unburned tobacco remaining in the pipe is probably below the airhole where it ain't a-gonna burn. Fergettabowdit. Smoke's over. Dump it. You're a shave-tail slick-sleeved rookie smoking the cheapest tobacco money can buy for crying out loud - dump it! What do you think this is - an International Longest Smoke Competition? Refill and enjoy a new pipeful.
c) cob-smoke duration will improve along with your pipe-filling skills; the unburned soggy stuff (dottle) at the bottom of the pipe can be eliminated with pipe mud. Ask an old fart about that after a while.

Okie Thanks!
Old 03-30-2011, 03:01 PM   #34
Mister Moo

Quote:
Okie Thanks!
Hope it helped.
Old 03-31-2011, 02:37 PM   #35
pektel
I'm nuts for the place

LGC
pektel is just really nicepektel is just really nicepektel is just really nicepektel is just really nicepektel is just really nice

Quote:
Originally Posted by pektel View Post
Where do you guys store your pipes? I mean, are the pretty stout to just throw in a backpack? Do I need a bag of some kind to put it in?
bump... I was referring to traveling with the pipe. I'm going to be bringing it to a music festival where we camp for 4 days.
Old 03-31-2011, 02:48 PM   #36
mariogolbee

Quote:
I got a tub of carter hall.... Pass by the house you can have half or more!
Thanks! I may have to do that this weekend at some point.
Quote:
Old 03-31-2011, 03:17 PM   #37
Emjaysmash
The Hebrew Hammer

Quote:
By the numbers:

Quote:
Originally Posted by pektel View Post
bump... I was referring to traveling with the pipe. I'm going to be bringing it to a music festival where we camp for 4 days.
See above
Old 03-31-2011, 03:35 PM   #38
pektel
I'm nuts for the place

LGC

Doh! Thanks, MJ. Will pose my question there.
Old 03-31-2011, 05:10 PM   #39
tsolomon
Have My Own Room

First Name: Tom
Trading: (31)
VR
tsolomon has a spectacular aura abouttsolomon has a spectacular aura abouttsolomon has a spectacular aura about

I have assembled the suggested materials and read the instructions on "loading" a pipe, I'll let you know how it works out shortly.

Had to go to a Rite Aid for the CH as CVS and Safeway only had Captain Black and Borkum Riff.
tsolomon is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-31-2011, 05:24 PM   #40
Emjaysmash
The Hebrew Hammer

Quote:
Originally Posted by tsolomon View Post
I have assembled the suggested materials and read the instructions on "loading" a pipe, I'll let you know how it works out shortly.

Had to go to a Rite Aid for the CH as CVS and Safeway only had Captain Black and Borkum Riff.