Cigar Asylum Cigar Forum  

Go Back   Cigar Asylum Cigar Forum > Non Cigar Specialty Forums > Misc > Sports

Old 01-31-2009, 10:56 PM   #281
goalie204
Have My Own Room

First Name: Myles
Trading: (12)
Bolivar
goalie204 will become famous soon enoughgoalie204 will become famous soon enough
Default Re: Official MMA Thread

Toldja! GSP domination.
goalie204 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-31-2009, 11:12 PM   #282
RHNewfie
Have My Own Room

First Name: Jeff
Trading: (15)
Partagas
RHNewfie is a jewel in the roughRHNewfie is a jewel in the roughRHNewfie is a jewel in the rough

Awesome fight, GSP did an awesome job! Now, did the doc really stop the fight cause it looked to me as if BJs corner threw in the towel!!
Old 01-31-2009, 11:18 PM   #283
the nub
Papa Chino

Trading: (2)
LGC
the nub is on a distinguished road

BJ was done. You could see it in his demeanor at the beginning of the third round. Total frustration.
the nub is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-31-2009, 11:45 PM   #284
kayaker

Quote:
Originally Posted by RHNewfie View Post
Awesome fight, GSP did an awesome job! Now, did the doc really stop the fight cause it looked to me as if BJs corner threw in the towel!!
They're saying that BJ's brother called the stop after the doctor's assessment.

Who's next after Thiago Alves?
Old 02-01-2009, 09:01 AM   #285
spiritsilvers2

bj's brother called it after doc assessment you can see him give the cut sign. total domination bj did not know what was goin on at all. loved the machida vs silva fight. knock out at the last second. beautiful.
Old 02-01-2009, 02:12 PM   #286
RHNewfie
Have My Own Room

Partagas
RHNewfie is a jewel in the roughRHNewfie is a jewel in the roughRHNewfie is a jewel in the rough

I've been trying to find something post-fight from Penns camp, video or photos even with no luck. If you know something post it up!
Old 02-01-2009, 04:35 PM   #287
BengalMan
Have My Own Room

First Name: Ian
Trading: (10)
Cohiba
BengalMan will become famous soon enoughBengalMan will become famous soon enough

I tell you what, I don't think anyone is going to beat Machida anytime soon.....

On another note, GSP purely dominated BJ in every aspect. Alves vs GSP is going to be a war.
BengalMan is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-01-2009, 04:58 PM   #288
kayaker

Quote:
Originally Posted by RHNewfie View Post
I've been trying to find something post-fight from Penns camp, video or photos even with no luck. If you know something post it up!
Haven't found anything yet either. UFC.com has a GSP post fight interview though.
Old 02-02-2009, 06:28 AM   #289
Ken
Still Watching My Back

Trading: (0)
RyJ Army (Served With Honor)
Ken is on a distinguished road

Found a couple of videos from the fights but had to read the results of the GSP Penn fight. Machida had a great KO. Jon Jones looks like a good up and coming fighter, just needs to work on the stamina.

From how I read GSP pretty much batter Penn in the same manner he took out Serra. I love it! The excuses will be pouring out from the Penn camp.
Ken is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-02-2009, 08:08 AM   #290
goalie204
Have My Own Room

Bolivar
goalie204 will become famous soon enoughgoalie204 will become famous soon enough

gsp will dismantle alves and guaranteed stoppage in probably the 2nd round
Old 02-02-2009, 11:22 AM   #291
kayaker

UFC 94 Notebook: Accusations Swarm St. Pierre
Monday, February 02, 2009
by Brian Knapp (bknapp@sherdog.com)

Welterweight champion and pound-for-pound stud Georges St. Pierre had little time to savor what many saw as a landmark performance against rival B.J. Penn at UFC 94 on Saturday at the MGM Grand Garden Arena in Las Vegas.

J.D. Penn, the challenger’s older brother, confirmed to Sherdog.com that a formal complaint will be filed with the Nevada State Athletic Commission on Monday, claiming St. Pierre used a “greasing” agent during the UFC 94 main event. The 27-year-old French Canadian retained his welterweight belt with a fourth-round technical knockout.

“We are not trying to make excuses, but the NSAC needs to protect the fighters,” Penn said via text message. “They never notified us or completely wiped his back with water and towels.”

The accusation cast a cloud of suspicion over St. Pierre after he dismantled the popular Hawaiian in a one-sided, four-round affair. Controversy deepened in the hours after the news broke. In an interview with InsideFighting.com on Sunday, Penn’s head coach, Rudy Valentino, claimed St. Pierre used similar tactics the first time the two fought in 2006. Valentino also indicated the camp of former UFC welterweight champion Matt Serra alleged St. Pierre did the same in their April 2008 rematch.

If the NSAC clears St. Pierre of wrongdoing, his latest conquest will likely stand as one of his crowning achievements. Never had Penn been so thoroughly beaten.

“I knew I broke him mentally in the first round,” St. Pierre said. “It was my gameplan. I stuck to it. My gameplan was to make the first round and the second round a clinch [war] and mostly like a wrestling match.”

As each round passed, St. Pierre dug deeper into Penn’s defenses, as he neutralized the Hawaiian’s considerable stand-up skills, forced him to his back and hammered away at him on the grown. St. Pierre leaned on Penn from the start, as he pressed him against the cage and sucked the energy from his 168-pound frame. Keenly aware of Penn’s penchant for fast starts, St. Pierre made sure to establish himself early in the fight.

“B.J. Penn, when he comes out, he always comes out strong in the first round because he’s got very good hand speed,” he said. “So I wanted to make him tired, to carry my weight.”

By rounds three and four, Penn was visibly discouraged, his pace labored. St. Pierre scored at will with takedowns and passed the former Brazilian jiu-jitsu world champion’s guard with stunning ease. His relentless ground-and-pound -- punches, elbows and knees -- also took a heavy toll on Penn, whose head and body were often exposed in side control.

“He’s a very tough guy,” St. Pierre said. “Even at the end of the fourth round, I was mad. I was trying to finish him … hard, but he always survived. I’m not surprised. I was expecting that.”

At the conclusion of round four, Penn had nothing more to give, and his corner motioned for the cage-side doctor to stop the fight. Afterward, St. Pierre focused on his drive and dedication to develop all his skills.

“People talk about stand-up and this and that,” he said. “It’s a mixed martial arts fight.”

St. Pierre thinks his takedown prowess enhanced his striking skills against Penn, a man some believe to be the premier boxer in the sport. Penn’s lethal jab, which he used to pick apart Sean Sherk at UFC 84, was never a factor.

“I knew he was afraid of my wrestling, so it made my stand-up look a little better maybe,” St. Pierre said. “I’m very confident with my stand-up now. I box with world champion boxers and former world champion boxers in Montreal, so I’m in very good hands.”
Old 02-02-2009, 11:37 AM   #292
RHNewfie
Have My Own Room

Partagas

Yep, gonna be interesting to see what develops...
Old 02-02-2009, 11:42 AM   #293
RHNewfie
Have My Own Room

Partagas

Greg Jacksons response

http://www.cageplay.com/blog/2009/02...e-allegations/
Old 02-02-2009, 12:08 PM   #294
goalie204
Have My Own Room

Bolivar

Nothing will develop, it's just a sore loser trash talker crying. GSP was dominating the entire fight, even the first round. BJ had nothing. The vaseline did nothing, it wasn't even on his entire back, and it was unintentional. this is just dumb crying
Old 02-02-2009, 06:15 PM   #295
kayaker

More on the GSP controversy:

http://www.sherdog.com/news/news/nsa...troversy-16028

http://mmajunkie.com/news/13895/kize...ace-action.mma
Old 02-02-2009, 06:36 PM   #296
goalie204
Have My Own Room

Bolivar

blah blah blah
Old 02-02-2009, 07:06 PM   #297
chippewastud79
Fatter than you!

First Name: Larry
Trading: (44)
Partagas
chippewastud79 is a splendid one to beholdchippewastud79 is a splendid one to beholdchippewastud79 is a splendid one to beholdchippewastud79 is a splendid one to beholdchippewastud79 is a splendid one to beholdchippewastud79 is a splendid one to beholdchippewastud79 is a splendid one to behold

This isn't all just BJ crying, the commission is looking into it, Dana called it BS and more than one person brought it to the commission's attention during the fight. Did it affect the outcome of the fight? Likely not, Penn was only even close to even trying to get one submission in the second round. But it is still bush league by the corner guy who is supposed to understand you can't do something like that.
Old 02-02-2009, 07:56 PM   #298
goalie204
Have My Own Room

Bolivar

It was an accident, who cares, it's ridiculous that they're making a stink abuot it at all.
Old 02-03-2009, 05:27 AM   #299
RHNewfie
Have My Own Room

Partagas

I agree that it should be looked into, do I think it affected thr outcome - no. The GSP camp said they would welcome a third fight if need be.
Old 02-03-2009, 06:07 AM   #300
Steelergar

What's up with Kim losing by by split decision? I thought he dominated the whole fight except for getting thrwon that one time.