Cigar Asylum Cigar Forum  

Go Back   Cigar Asylum Cigar Forum > Cigar Forums > Accessory Discussion / Reviews

Old 06-24-2009, 02:17 PM   #21
sikk50
Just Bored Really...

First Name: Andrew
Trading: (13)
LGC
sikk50 is a glorious beacon of lightsikk50 is a glorious beacon of lightsikk50 is a glorious beacon of lightsikk50 is a glorious beacon of lightsikk50 is a glorious beacon of lightsikk50 is a glorious beacon of light
Default Re: Xikar Cutter cleaning tips?

I don't know what it does to the warrenty, but to fix that slight hang up problem when opening I tore the whole thing appart, cleaned with a qtip then put a slight bit of vasalin on the inside. seemed to help but I'll probaly have to wipe it off before sending in for sharpening
Old 06-24-2009, 03:13 PM   #22
The Poet
Il megglior fabbro

First Name: Thomas
Trading: (2)
The Poet has much to be proud ofThe Poet has much to be proud ofThe Poet has much to be proud ofThe Poet has much to be proud ofThe Poet has much to be proud ofThe Poet has much to be proud ofThe Poet has much to be proud ofThe Poet has much to be proud ofThe Poet has much to be proud ofThe Poet has much to be proud of

Q-tips? Towlettes? What, did I stumble into the powder room by mistake?

I just dump some rubbing alky on a wad of TP, and clean the blades. My Xikar has served me well this way for well over a year.

P.S. - See the ? See the ? That means it's a joke, or so I'm told.

The Poet is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-24-2009, 05:59 PM   #23
Thrak
.. the man from Nantucket

HUpmann
Thrak is on a distinguished road

my Xi2 really sticks.. I have to pull it apart to open the hole all the way... Maybe I'll try the dish soap/hot water trick...
Thrak is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-24-2009, 07:19 PM   #24
TripleF
11/11/11 EPIC IV

First Name: Scott
Trading: (176)
TripleF is a splendid one to beholdTripleF is a splendid one to beholdTripleF is a splendid one to beholdTripleF is a splendid one to beholdTripleF is a splendid one to beholdTripleF is a splendid one to beholdTripleF is a splendid one to behold

Thanks for the tips guys.

After talking to Xikar, looks like I am going to send it in for a new one since it came apart when I tried to pull on one side and the whole thing kinda cam unraveled.....
TripleF is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-24-2009, 08:17 PM   #25
DPD6030
Shepard of the sheeple

First Name: Andrew
Trading: (151)
Partagas
DPD6030 has much to be proud ofDPD6030 has much to be proud ofDPD6030 has much to be proud ofDPD6030 has much to be proud ofDPD6030 has much to be proud ofDPD6030 has much to be proud ofDPD6030 has much to be proud ofDPD6030 has much to be proud ofDPD6030 has much to be proud of

Good idea Scottie My xi2 sticks as well. I have to force it open. May be sending mine in soon too.
DPD6030 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-24-2009, 08:22 PM   #26
TripleF
11/11/11 EPIC IV

First Name: Scott
Trading: (176)
TripleF is a splendid one to beholdTripleF is a splendid one to beholdTripleF is a splendid one to beholdTripleF is a splendid one to beholdTripleF is a splendid one to beholdTripleF is a splendid one to beholdTripleF is a splendid one to behold

Quote:
Originally Posted by DPD6030 View Post
Good idea Scottie My xi2 sticks as well. I have to force it open. May be sending mine in soon too.
You'd be shocked how happy they are to exchange it for you.....It's really fantastic customer service.....kinda like the old days!
TripleF is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-24-2009, 08:24 PM   #27
Wolfgang
Back from the dead

Trading: (14)
HdM
Wolfgang is a jewel in the roughWolfgang is a jewel in the roughWolfgang is a jewel in the roughWolfgang is a jewel in the rough

I have taken mine apart a few times. It uses a torx style bit which is what most knife manufactures use aswell. But oh well glad you got a new one. MY TURN!
Old 06-25-2009, 06:56 AM   #28
Thrak
.. the man from Nantucket

HUpmann
Thrak is on a distinguished road

Quote:
I used some dish soap and hot water last night and now mine is like new... snaps open real quickly.

Thrak is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-25-2009, 07:12 AM   #29
Smoke Naked
Still Watching My Back

First Name: Bill
Trading: (0)
CoastGuard (Served With Honor)
Smoke Naked is on a distinguished road

A little mineral oil and a q-tip works wonders.

♥ ♦ Palio Fanboy Here ♣ ♠
Smoke Naked is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-25-2009, 08:33 AM   #30
Waynegro1

Another option is to bring it to an authorized Xikar retailer. I had a problem with my Xi3 a year ago and my B&M just gave me a new one and sent mine into Xikar themselves.
Old 06-25-2009, 02:04 PM   #31
Starscream
Knowhutimean, Vern?

First Name: Andy
Trading: (4)
Partagas
Starscream is a splendid one to beholdStarscream is a splendid one to beholdStarscream is a splendid one to beholdStarscream is a splendid one to beholdStarscream is a splendid one to beholdStarscream is a splendid one to behold

Quote:
I've had three of these over the past two years. All of them seem to stick after a few months worth of use. I'm not knocking Xikar at all (I keep using them), but I don't see the practicality in returning it everytime one of them gets hung up.

Do you guys take it apart to clean it, or just wipe the part of the blades that you can reach w/o taking it apart?

Insert quote here.

Last edited by Starscream; 06-25-2009 at 02:17 PM.
Starscream is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-25-2009, 02:06 PM   #32
The Poet
Il megglior fabbro

First Name: Thomas
The Poet has much to be proud ofThe Poet has much to be proud ofThe Poet has much to be proud ofThe Poet has much to be proud ofThe Poet has much to be proud ofThe Poet has much to be proud ofThe Poet has much to be proud ofThe Poet has much to be proud ofThe Poet has much to be proud ofThe Poet has much to be proud of

I can't take a sandwich apart without getting mustard on my shirt, so I just wipe what I can reach. Seems to work for me.
The Poet is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-25-2009, 03:00 PM   #33
Wolfgang
Back from the dead

Trading: (14)
HdM
Wolfgang is a jewel in the roughWolfgang is a jewel in the roughWolfgang is a jewel in the roughWolfgang is a jewel in the rough

Try using an air compressor.
Old 06-25-2009, 05:11 PM   #34
Waynegro1

Quote:
Originally Posted by andysutherland View Post
I've had three of these over the past two years. All of them seem to stick after a few months worth of use. I'm not knocking Xikar at all (I keep using them), but I don't see the practicality in returning it everytime one of them gets hung up.

Do you guys take it apart to clean it, or just wipe the part of the blades that you can reach w/o taking it apart?
I just wipe the blades and metal parts that come into contact with tobacco. Q-Tip, Alcohol wipes are what I use. Air comp. sounds like a pretty good idea as well. Shoot me your addy and I'll send you some 2x2 wipes that work great.