Cigar Asylum Cigar Forum  

Go Back   Cigar Asylum Cigar Forum > Cigar Forums > Island (The other ones) Reviews

Old 03-01-2011, 03:31 PM   #1
Don Fernando
Postwhore

First Name: Ferdinand
Trading: (29)
Army (Retired)
Don Fernando has much to be proud ofDon Fernando has much to be proud ofDon Fernando has much to be proud ofDon Fernando has much to be proud ofDon Fernando has much to be proud ofDon Fernando has much to be proud ofDon Fernando has much to be proud ofDon Fernando has much to be proud ofDon Fernando has much to be proud of
Default Oliva Connecticut Reserve torpedo

If you read my reviews often, you might know that I strongly dislike Connecticut shade wrappers. They all taste musty to me. So when I got this 6½x52 Oliva Connecticut Reserve torpedo for review purposes I was anticipating a bad review, although I remembered that the Oliva Connecticut Reserve toro wasn't bad at all for a Connecticut shade wrapped cigar.

The light colored wrapper has a few veins but I can't say it's oily. The cigar has a mild barnyard and spices smell. The construction is great, as always with Oliva. The predraw is fine, I taste raisin with a peppery aftertaste.

I taste that so recognizable musty Connecticut shade flavor with some chocolate like sweetness and coffee. There are some herbs in the aftertaste. For a Connecticut shade wrapper, this isn't bad at all. After half an inch I taste a bit of hay, the coffee has disappeared. I still taste a little bit of chocolate and I also taste some nuts.

After an inch I taste mild musty herbs and some pepper. On the background I taste some musty milk chocolate. Halfway hay becomes the main flavor with some herbs and spices as support. After two thirds the cigar gets a little more bite. Herbs and pepper are the main flavors now.

This cigar lasted me for seventy five minutes. The draw is great and I got plenty of thick smoke. The pepper and salt colored ash is ugly, frayed but firm. I had to correct the burn a few times. This cigar is medium to full flavored and medium bodied.

Would I buy this cigar again? No, even though this cigar is much better compared to other Connecticut shade cigars it still is a Connecticut shade wrapper which I don't like

Appearance: 7 / 10
Construction: 8 / 10
Draw: 8 / 10
Burn: 7 / 10
Smoke & ash: 8 / 10
Aroma first part: 7 / 10
Aroma second part: 7 / 10
Aroma third part: 7 / 10
Old 03-01-2011, 03:33 PM   #2
kelmac07
Resident Maduro Whore!!

First Name: Mac
Trading: (218)
Bolivar Army (Retired)
kelmac07 has a reputation beyond reputekelmac07 has a reputation beyond reputekelmac07 has a reputation beyond reputekelmac07 has a reputation beyond reputekelmac07 has a reputation beyond reputekelmac07 has a reputation beyond reputekelmac07 has a reputation beyond reputekelmac07 has a reputation beyond reputekelmac07 has a reputation beyond reputekelmac07 has a reputation beyond reputekelmac07 has a reputation beyond repute
Default Re: Oliva Connecticut Reserve torpedo

Not one of my favs either.
Old 03-08-2011, 03:22 PM   #3
borndead1
Ayatollah of Rock n Rolla

First Name: Mark
Trading: (7)
Partagas
borndead1 has a spectacular aura aboutborndead1 has a spectacular aura about

I like these a lot, but they need humi time, which is odd for a mild Connecticut wrap cigar.

Amazingly, I prefer the cheap-o Flor De Oliva Gold.
Old 03-09-2011, 12:44 PM   #4
dannysguitar
Feeling at Home

First Name: Danny
Trading: (36)
Montecristo
dannysguitar will become famous soon enough

One of my favorite Connie wrapped cigars, but I prefer the Robo. Nice review Ferdie!
Old 03-09-2011, 04:27 PM   #5
HollywoodQue
Invictus

First Name: Howard
Trading: (46)
Bolivar Navy (Served With Honor)
HollywoodQue is just really niceHollywoodQue is just really niceHollywoodQue is just really niceHollywoodQue is just really niceHollywoodQue is just really nice

I will prefer a Oliva O maddy anyday of the week....thanks again brother
HollywoodQue is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-09-2011, 04:31 PM   #6
G G
BR549

First Name: Greg
Trading: (10)
Bolivar
G G has a brilliant futureG G has a brilliant futureG G has a brilliant futureG G has a brilliant futureG G has a brilliant futureG G has a brilliant futureG G has a brilliant futureG G has a brilliant futureG G has a brilliant futureG G has a brilliant futureG G has a brilliant future

Thanks for the review, I aint much of a connie fan either.
G G is offline   Reply With Quote