Cigar Asylum Cigar Forum  

Go Back   Cigar Asylum Cigar Forum > Non Cigar Specialty Forums > Misc > General Discussion

Old 03-04-2013, 11:28 AM   #1941
OLS
Suck It

First Name: Brad
Trading: (19)
Bolivar AirForce (Served With Honor)
OLS is a splendid one to beholdOLS is a splendid one to beholdOLS is a splendid one to beholdOLS is a splendid one to beholdOLS is a splendid one to beholdOLS is a splendid one to beholdOLS is a splendid one to behold
Default Re: Photography Thread

Hey pros and semis, I am looking at a normal lens for a Nikon FX camera, and if I stick with 1.8 high end aperture,
I don't saddle myself with an extra couple hundred bucks it would take to bring down the big game, the 1.4 50 mm.
Is that extra room OVERKILL, or is it really the difference between shooting in any light and most light?
OLS is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-04-2013, 12:57 PM   #1942
OLS
Suck It

OLS is a splendid one to beholdOLS is a splendid one to beholdOLS is a splendid one to beholdOLS is a splendid one to beholdOLS is a splendid one to beholdOLS is a splendid one to beholdOLS is a splendid one to behold

Went with the 1.8. If it was film I think it would matter more to me. But with a good DSLR,
if I was ever in a jam that I had to have the extra .4 aperture, I have ISO settings I can fall
back on. If I had crazy money, I am sure I would have gone for the F/1.4. That's what I get
for asking a question during the work day. Well, that and I am an a55hole no one wants to
talk to, haha.
Old 03-04-2013, 01:37 PM   #1943
emopunker2004
Central Fla rollin

First Name: Justin
Trading: (46)
HdM
emopunker2004 is a name known to allemopunker2004 is a name known to allemopunker2004 is a name known to allemopunker2004 is a name known to allemopunker2004 is a name known to allemopunker2004 is a name known to all

50mm f/1.8 is a great lens for cheap
Old 03-04-2013, 01:40 PM   #1944
OLS
Suck It

It almost wasn't the 'cheap', it was the 'WHY pay' that had me hung. If someone could have
come up with a compelling reason to spring, I might have laid down the extra duckies.
I guess I wanted to know if .4 was world-saving faster or just faster. I did in fact pick up
the cheap little 1.8 which was not cheap per se, but cheap enough, and even cheaper used.

I almost wanted to pick up a 1.8 for the D70....but for now I think I will rest and evaluate.
3.5 is gonna have to be fast enough for that camera's normal lens.
Old 03-05-2013, 12:03 AM   #1945
emopunker2004
Central Fla rollin

HdM
emopunker2004 is a name known to allemopunker2004 is a name known to allemopunker2004 is a name known to allemopunker2004 is a name known to allemopunker2004 is a name known to allemopunker2004 is a name known to all

Well I ordered a desktop that should run lightroom a PS CS6 just fine and dandy. Should be here this week.

Here's some specs:
Intel Core i5-3450 3.10GHz processor (6MB Cache)
8GB of DDR3 memory
1.5TB HDD
Old 03-05-2013, 06:24 AM   #1946
OLS
Suck It

Having a fast computer is a treat. For going on 30 years now I have had computers,
and one thing that was always true of my rigs, they were NOT the latest and greatest.
Staying one or two generations behind always served me well, financially. If I splurged
it was on a video card, cause I loved gaming. Now that I do a lot of 3D animation and
video editing, I don't have the luxury of a slow box, but I am still behind. I now have a
basic computer for photo work and web and DVD creation and poarn, and one smoking
fast and clean unit for Video editing. Now I just need to get out and take some photos.
Bill86 and I might get together in Nashville to smoke a little this weekend, and I guess
I will get some pics there.
Old 03-05-2013, 09:40 AM   #1947
Steve
Dad Jokester Supreme

First Name: Steve
Trading: (6)
HdM
Steve has much to be proud ofSteve has much to be proud ofSteve has much to be proud ofSteve has much to be proud ofSteve has much to be proud ofSteve has much to be proud ofSteve has much to be proud ofSteve has much to be proud ofSteve has much to be proud ofSteve has much to be proud of

Quote:
Originally Posted by emopunker2004 View Post
Well I ordered a desktop that should run lightroom a PS CS6 just fine and dandy. Should be here this week.

Here's some specs:
Intel Core i5-3450 3.10GHz processor (6MB Cache)
8GB of DDR3 memory
1.5TB HDD
I just recieved my new 'puter. I've been using one that is probable aleast 12-14 years old (a 2.4 GHz w/ 2 gig of RAM).

My new screamer:

3rd Gen Intel Core i7-3770 processor 3.40 GHz with Turbo Boost 2.0 up to 3.90 GHz
1 319-0938 24GB Dual Channel DDR3 1600MHz 3 DIMMS
1 320-9396 AMD Radeon HD 7570 1GB GDDR5 for Win 8
Old 03-05-2013, 11:57 AM   #1948
emopunker2004
Central Fla rollin

HdM

Hey Steve
Old 03-05-2013, 12:33 PM   #1949
Steve
Dad Jokester Supreme

HdM
Steve has much to be proud ofSteve has much to be proud ofSteve has much to be proud ofSteve has much to be proud ofSteve has much to be proud ofSteve has much to be proud ofSteve has much to be proud ofSteve has much to be proud ofSteve has much to be proud ofSteve has much to be proud of

Quote:
Hey Steve
Howdy...
Old 03-06-2013, 08:28 AM   #1950
OLS
Suck It

Talk about thread jacking....nice to know I started it, lol. I talked with a guy at work who shoots a lot of
weird events, dog shows and stuff, and I told him I was ready to help split the labor on some of em for
half the take. I will probably settle for 40% though. I have a lot of 'photographic' experience, but none
for money, and not MUCH with stills. But it will be nice to squeeze a foot into an already crazy competitive
market right now. He is scared to do weddings and I don't blame him. Miss ONE little cake shot and they start
in chiseling you on your money. I can hang, though. I need to get a lil faster on the shitter, dammit, SHUTTER.
Old 03-06-2013, 02:38 PM   #1951
OLS
Suck It

I am pretty sure this doesn't MATTER, but I was shooting a lens test today with a Nikkor 24mm-50mm 4-5.6 lens today
and I had the D700 all wacked out on some kind of crazy settings since I was not paying attention and was in a hurry
to get it done at lunch, and I took this shot of one of my bosses cigar figures (why he has em I have no idea) and after
the pic fired, I checked the ISO, cause it said in the info window 3200, and I thought CRAP, these are all gonna be grainy
as hell, light level or not. The room was well lit. I guess the test is a DIM room at 3200 which I will do, well hell, have done,
and see. But this shot is at 3200 ISO and it is clear as hell. I was surprised.

94% Crop....color's for 5HI+, but I like that camera.

Wide angle range test...accidentally 3200 ISO again, no flash

OH, yeah, OK, there's the noise....LOL. Still I do like the camera. If I ever figure out how to
keep it all together long enough to shoot well with it.

Might have a bad pixel, too....I can deal with that, though.

Last edited by OLS; 03-06-2013 at 02:50 PM.
Old 03-06-2013, 06:10 PM   #1952
emopunker2004
Central Fla rollin

HdM

That's the main advantage to a full frame DSLR Brad. They have much lower noise at higher ISOs than a crop-sensor DSLR.
Old 03-06-2013, 06:12 PM   #1953
emopunker2004
Central Fla rollin

HdM

Well I got my PC in. It's set up now. Just downloaded classic skin to make this stupid Windows 8 have a classic start menu on it. Hauling the PC off to work tonight to have PS CS6 and LR4 put on it
Old 03-07-2013, 07:53 AM   #1954
OLS
Suck It

I already broke my pledge to only use my DSLR for normal focal length photography.
THIS IS WHAT I WAS AFRAID OF, lol. Lensalympics has begun. Damn you DSLR!
I need to actually take some photos and stop testing lenses and cameras. I have
bought FOUR DSLRs in two weeks. Shocking. If I see a good used deal, I think of a
relative that would like a DSLR, lol. The odd winner of the photo quality games was
this weird, OLD, Olympus Evolt E-330. It was the first 'live view' DSLR, and it was not
what I would call an excellent iteration of Live View. But the camera takes really great
photos, and its only a Four Thirds sensor. I am not gonna say it takes better pics than
a D700, but as I have yet to bring that wild stallion to bay, FOR NOW it does, lol. It is
NOT easy to master that D700. My photos so far are mostly high Rez mistakes, lol.

But for a $99 used camera body, and a $69 dollar used lens, I was STUNNED by the color
and clarity and contrast and quality. Stunned.

Last edited by OLS; 03-07-2013 at 08:05 AM.
Old 03-07-2013, 09:34 AM   #1955
Steve
Dad Jokester Supreme

HdM

Quote:
Well I got my PC in. It's set up now. Just downloaded classic skin to make this stupid Windows 8 have a classic start menu on it. Hauling the PC off to work tonight to have PS CS6 and LR4 put on it
I wish I had LR. I have an earlier version of CS, but LR is a bit pricy for me right now. Later...
Old 03-07-2013, 02:18 PM   #1956
OLS
Suck It

Pfft....I have Photoshop SIX...not CS6, but 6.
You people with your NEW software really get my grits, lol.
I may have to get off my ornery old man chair and get a newer version
though, because while I can correct for a lot of things in 6, nothing is
semi-auto like in the newer photoshop. And by that I mean barrel distortion
and what not...

Last edited by OLS; 03-07-2013 at 02:25 PM.
Old 03-07-2013, 02:33 PM   #1957
emopunker2004
Central Fla rollin

HdM

Brad, Adobe has made CS2 free to everyone now FYI, well basically.
http://majorgeeks.com/Adobe_Photosho...ree_d8081.html
Old 03-07-2013, 05:21 PM   #1958
OLS
Suck It

WHAT?!?!??? I highly doubt those tight-a55ed basterds would do THAT. Lemme check this sitcho out and
see if its not just a bootleg, lol. I'd be a fool not to upgrade if that were the case. thanks for the heads up.

Liking that new camera??

Hmmm... Sketchy.......but then again, I am a sketchy guy. Thanks.

Last edited by OLS; 03-07-2013 at 05:29 PM.
Old 03-07-2013, 07:58 PM   #1959
emopunker2004
Central Fla rollin

HdM

I mean they have the DL and they give u the key so...
Old 03-08-2013, 01:40 PM   #1960
OLS
Suck It

My OLDEST digital camera, cheap is not the word for it, and apparently it wins
all kinds of awards for durability, too....well, not REAL awards, but the damn thing
is still working. If I bought it back in 2001 it HAD to be almost discontinued then.
Owing to how I'm so cheap and all. Now it serves very well as a BBQ pit 'proof of
smoking' camera.

[
St. Louis Cathedral, NO, LA by MemphisBrad, on Flickr]

Last edited by OLS; 03-08-2013 at 01:52 PM.