Cigar Asylum Cigar Forum  

Go Back   Cigar Asylum Cigar Forum > Non Cigar Specialty Forums > Misc > General Discussion

Old 07-10-2012, 08:59 PM   #1
hotreds
Ephesians 2:8

Trading: (63)
Bolivar
hotreds has disabled reputation
Default Cotinine test/screen

Recently came across a job that required a tobacco screen for cotinine. Would cigar smoking cause one to fail this test? Any comments on this?
Old 07-10-2012, 09:04 PM   #2
Sauer Grapes
Snatchin' yo people up

Trading: (44)
Cohiba
Sauer Grapes has disabled reputation
Default Re: Cotinine test/screen

According to Wikipedia it is generally detectable for up to a week depending on the nicotine exposure. It can enter the body through smoke or orally.

My guess is that you should abstain from cigars for a bit before they test.
Sauer Grapes is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-10-2012, 09:07 PM   #3
Ogre
****CENSORED****

First Name: Larry
Trading: (46)
Montecristo
Ogre has a brilliant futureOgre has a brilliant futureOgre has a brilliant futureOgre has a brilliant futureOgre has a brilliant futureOgre has a brilliant futureOgre has a brilliant futureOgre has a brilliant futureOgre has a brilliant futureOgre has a brilliant futureOgre has a brilliant future

How far out is the test?? More then a few day, don't smoke anything until after the test. I have heard drinking allot of water helps as well.
Old 07-10-2012, 09:09 PM   #4
DaBear
Have My Own Room

First Name: Bear
Trading: (26)
HdM
DaBear is a jewel in the roughDaBear is a jewel in the roughDaBear is a jewel in the rough

From the great Wikipedia: http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Cotinine

"Cotinine has an in vivo half-life of approximately 20 hours, and is typically detectable for several days (up to one week) after the use of tobacco. The level of cotinine in the blood is proportionate to the amount of exposure to tobacco smoke, so it is a valuable indicator of tobacco smoke exposure...Cotinine levels <10 ng/mL are considered to be consistent with no active smoking. Values of 10 ng/mL to 100 ng/mL are associated with light smoking or moderate passive exposure, and levels above 300 ng/mL are seen in heavy smokers - more than 20 cigarettes a day. In urine, values between 11 ng/mL and 30 ng/mL may be associated with light smoking or passive exposure, and levels in active smokers typically reach 500 ng/mL or more"

Sounds like it will give you a higher level. Not sure there's a pass/fail line on it. Seems like it would be used for healthcare pricing at the job if its one with benefits, otherwise I see no reason for them toe require one.
DaBear is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-10-2012, 09:14 PM   #5
GreekGodX
Opa!!

First Name: Christos
Trading: (82)
Montecristo
GreekGodX is a glorious beacon of lightGreekGodX is a glorious beacon of lightGreekGodX is a glorious beacon of lightGreekGodX is a glorious beacon of lightGreekGodX is a glorious beacon of lightGreekGodX is a glorious beacon of light

I wonder if inhaling a cigarette vs not inhaling cigars plays a roll in the levels.
Old 07-10-2012, 09:15 PM   #6
Ogre
****CENSORED****

Montecristo
Ogre has a brilliant futureOgre has a brilliant futureOgre has a brilliant futureOgre has a brilliant futureOgre has a brilliant futureOgre has a brilliant futureOgre has a brilliant futureOgre has a brilliant futureOgre has a brilliant futureOgre has a brilliant futureOgre has a brilliant future

Unfortunately Bear, allot of companies are going smoke free for all employees. A local hospital here wont hire any new employees that smoke.
Old 07-10-2012, 09:17 PM   #7
Ogre
****CENSORED****

Montecristo

Quote:
Originally Posted by GreekGodX View Post
I wonder if inhaling a cigarette vs not inhaling cigars plays a roll in the levels.
I think it would, just not to the same level. I always seem to inhale a little smoke while enjoying a fine cigar.
Old 07-10-2012, 09:20 PM   #8
hotreds

Bolivar

Quote:
Originally Posted by Ogre View Post
Unfortunately Bear, allot of companies are going smoke free for all employees. A local hospital here wont hire any new employees that smoke.
So they would consider an occasional cigar "smoking?"
Old 07-10-2012, 09:35 PM   #9
Ogre
****CENSORED****

Montecristo

Quote:
Originally Posted by hotreds View Post
So they would consider an occasional cigar "smoking?"
Not sure. I know the insurance industry does. I would think smoking an occasional cigar would Not put you at risk. And if you were to get tagged, you had a cigar for a wedding, baby birth ETC. I don't know of any companies doing random cotinine test, even at that hospital. You may have to sign a paper saying you don't smoke.
Old 07-10-2012, 09:41 PM   #10
BlkDrew
Rolling my own...

First Name: Andrew
Trading: (43)
LGC
BlkDrew will become famous soon enough

This gets my blood boiling. It just goes to show how we are losing rights every day, one at a time. I can understand for life insurance reasons like paying a higher premium. But for someone to not get hired or lose their job is rediculus
BlkDrew is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-10-2012, 09:44 PM   #11
DaBear
Have My Own Room

First Name: Bear
Trading: (26)
HdM
DaBear is a jewel in the roughDaBear is a jewel in the roughDaBear is a jewel in the rough

Quote:
Originally Posted by BlkDrew View Post
This gets my blood boiling. It just goes to show how we are losing rights every day, one at a time. I can understand for life insurance reasons like paying a higher premium. But for someone to not get hired or lose their job is rediculus
DaBear is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-10-2012, 09:47 PM   #12
Ogre
****CENSORED****

Montecristo

Quote:
I agree, but companies claim thet get lower health insurance cost if all employees are nonsmokers. Also look at cigarette smokers who take "Smoke breaks" during work shifts, lost production.
Old 07-11-2012, 06:11 AM   #13
Subvet642
Bilge Rat

First Name: Darren
Trading: (13)
LFdC Navy (Served With Honor)
Subvet642 is a name known to allSubvet642 is a name known to allSubvet642 is a name known to allSubvet642 is a name known to allSubvet642 is a name known to allSubvet642 is a name known to all

Quote:
I agree, but companies claim they get lower health insurance cost if all employees are nonsmokers. Also look at cigarette smokers who take "Smoke breaks" during work shifts, lost production.
Perhaps, but if I couldn't smoke, I'd throttle the life out of someone, so in my case, smoking decreases liability.
Old 07-11-2012, 06:22 AM   #14
Jasonw560
PhD from Sarcastic State

First Name: Jason
Trading: (0)
Jasonw560 is on a distinguished road

Alcohol and drug testing I can see, but this is Draconian.

And the insurance rates being lower. I call BS on that.
Old 07-11-2012, 07:13 AM   #15
Apoco
Nerd with social skills

First Name: Alex
Trading: (37)
Apoco is a jewel in the roughApoco is a jewel in the roughApoco is a jewel in the rough

Quote:
I agree, but companies claim thet get lower health insurance cost if all employees are nonsmokers. Also look at cigarette smokers who take "Smoke breaks" during work shifts, lost production.
But do you regain that lost production due to increased productivity from nicotine? Not to mention the benefits of walking away from a task for 10 minutes and then coming back. A whole new set of eyes can lead to a [b]lot[/u] less wasted time.

I guess it is all how you look at it, though. I'd prefer to be effective than continually present. I take a 5-10 minute walk whenever I get stumped on how to do something at work (usually excel or access being a PITA ).

Either way, this is not something I'm happy to read. My hope is that this doesn't become common practice. I like my cigars, pipe, and hookah too much to give up tobacco =X
Posted via Mobile Device
Apoco is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-11-2012, 07:44 AM   #16
mosesbotbol
That's a Corgi

First Name: Moses
Trading: (6)
Punch
mosesbotbol is a jewel in the roughmosesbotbol is a jewel in the roughmosesbotbol is a jewel in the rough

Smokers are not a protected class, so employers can discriminate as they wish.
Old 07-11-2012, 07:54 AM   #17
forgop
Not a puffer

First Name: Duane
Trading: (40)
Partagas Army (Served With Honor)
forgop is a jewel in the roughforgop is a jewel in the roughforgop is a jewel in the roughforgop is a jewel in the rough

Quote:
Originally Posted by mosesbotbol View Post
Smokers are not a protected class, so employers can discriminate as they wish.
Yep

The next class coming will be the obese.
forgop is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-11-2012, 07:58 AM   #18
OLS
Suck It

First Name: Brad
Trading: (19)
Bolivar AirForce (Served With Honor)
OLS is a splendid one to beholdOLS is a splendid one to beholdOLS is a splendid one to beholdOLS is a splendid one to beholdOLS is a splendid one to beholdOLS is a splendid one to beholdOLS is a splendid one to behold

Quote:
This gets my blood boiling. It just goes to show how we are losing rights every day, one at a time.
This is what happens when you reach "pariah status" in our modern world. You start to have a country
where the few understand their power and become the many just like that. You can teach your kids in
school, "Smoking is BAD" and feel good about it, but when they grow up, if they get militant about it it's
gonna backfire on you. It doesn't matter whether you think you are entitled to rights or not, once a thing
becomes thought of as BAD by a majority of people, you've just lost your perceived rights.
This is my main complaint with religion, non-believers become 'the smokers'.
OLS is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-11-2012, 08:19 AM   #19
OLS
Suck It

First Name: Brad
Trading: (19)
Bolivar AirForce (Served With Honor)
OLS is a splendid one to beholdOLS is a splendid one to beholdOLS is a splendid one to beholdOLS is a splendid one to beholdOLS is a splendid one to beholdOLS is a splendid one to beholdOLS is a splendid one to behold

Quote:
Originally Posted by Apoco View Post
But do you regain that lost production due to increased productivity from nicotine? Not to mention the benefits of walking away from a task for 10 minutes and then coming back. A whole new set of eyes can lead to a [b]lot[/u] less wasted time.
While I find your first postulation to be not only confusing but spurious, I agree wholeheartedly with the
second part. Taking a break and walking around helps clear the mind and open up new pathways to
reconcile difficult problems.

But from an employer's point of view, I can't and won't defend the smokers or the obese. IT IS sad that
a cigar smoker can't escape the trap they set to weed out "the smokers", but times are tight today,
employers can be EXTREMELY selective. Adapt or starve it would seem. No sense in defending smoking
as a RIGHT anymore, it's a death pact and a money drain in a time when the 99% can't waste money.
OLS is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-11-2012, 08:24 AM   #20
hotreds

Bolivar

I also feel this is waay beyond the pale. They are basically telling you what you can and can't do at home. Next, as Duane indicated, they'll say you have to weight under 250 lbs to be employed. Suffice it to say, I'm not giving up my cigars for ANY job. That being said, I'm sure I could pass the test, but dunno if I'd want to work for the GESTAPO.