Cigar Asylum Cigar Forum  

Go Back   Cigar Asylum Cigar Forum > Non Cigar Specialty Forums > Misc > General Discussion

Old 04-22-2011, 06:54 AM   #21
Wanger

Default Re: Costco vs. Sam's Club

Quote:
Originally Posted by RHNewfie View Post
Costco and I have a love/hate relationship, I love going there and my wallet hates me for it! I'd pick costco every time for selection and quality!
LMAO! I know that feeling. I don't think we get out of there under $150...ever. We buy a lot of groceries there. Stock up on things for a couple weeks for packing lunches, and several dinners. Best prices locally on milk, too (we've got 3 kids).
Old 04-22-2011, 09:20 AM   #22
Sauer Grapes
Snatchin' yo people up

Trading: (44)
Cohiba
Sauer Grapes has disabled reputation

I've been a member of both and it's apple and oranges. They are much of the same thing, it's just what you prefer. For me, I'll belong to the one that's most convenient (which right now is neither, and sams is free for me, so it's sams right now).
Sauer Grapes is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-22-2011, 09:28 AM   #23
E.J.
I'm nuts for the place

Trading: (21)
E.J. is a jewel in the roughE.J. is a jewel in the roughE.J. is a jewel in the rough

I don't know if this helps the decision any, but it may be worth a 3-4 minute read.

http://www.consumerreports.org/cro/m...07_ware_ov.htm
E.J. is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-22-2011, 09:29 AM   #24
poker
1:11

First Name: Kelly
Trading: (7)
Cohiba
poker has disabled reputation

Quote:
Originally Posted by RHNewfie View Post
Costco and I have a love/hate relationship, I love going there and my wallet hates me for it! I'd pick costco every time for selection and quality!
Im the same way. Its like that for me at a Lowes or Home Depot as well. I go in for a light bulb and end up with all kinds of stuff.

Costco for me to keep on topic.

Cigar Asylum: A cigar board birthed without agendas, without profiting, and without advertisements. Amor puro

Character is what you do when no one is watching
poker is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-22-2011, 09:37 AM   #25
Lear31MX
Herf Crew of 2

First Name: Anthony
Trading: (8)
QdO
Lear31MX will become famous soon enoughLear31MX will become famous soon enough

I'm a little bias due to the fact I worked at Costco in college and I live in Washington state where they started. Never been in a Sam's club and never intend to, can't stand wal-fart and don't apove of there.. well lets call it business plan. But thats here nor there, for me it's all Costco. Also my wallet really does hate it when I walk in there, never get out for less than 100$.
Old 04-22-2011, 10:01 AM   #26
jmsremax
Yet another Masshole

First Name: Jon
Trading: (19)
jmsremax will become famous soon enough

We used to go to Sams before Costco opened but since then it's been dual memberships at Costco and BJs.
Old 04-22-2011, 11:39 AM   #27
jjirons69
Haberdasher

First Name: Jamie
Trading: (94)
LGC
jjirons69 is a splendid one to beholdjjirons69 is a splendid one to beholdjjirons69 is a splendid one to beholdjjirons69 is a splendid one to beholdjjirons69 is a splendid one to beholdjjirons69 is a splendid one to beholdjjirons69 is a splendid one to behold

Costco hand's down. Well worth the travel for you! Amer Express card through them and use it for everything. Very nice rebate checks using Executive membership and Amer Express. Extended warranties on electronics. Best tire deals around. Haven't bought steaks at another store in 8 years! Great produce, milk prices, coffee prices, etc. I buy my liquor and gas there, also. I can never go there for one thing. Sam's Club was good, but for me was further away. I totally agree with the Kirkland brand foods and drugs - top notch. I get my OTC Claritin for pennies on the dollar. I've also seen cigars for sale, but have never bought any.
Old 04-22-2011, 06:56 PM   #28
billybarue
Still Watching My Back

Trading: (5)
billybarue has disabled reputation

I think Sam's has come a long way but, in my view, the variety and QUALITY of product is far superior at Costco. I believe, in general, Costco's pricing policy is uniformly 15% margin across the board on all their products. I hope my information is accurate. It gives me peace of mind when shopping there that I can confidently expect to pay 15% above cost (in general) for any product I pick up.
billybarue is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-22-2011, 07:14 PM   #29
Smokin Gator
Just plain insane!

Trading: (106)
Partagas
Smokin Gator is a splendid one to beholdSmokin Gator is a splendid one to beholdSmokin Gator is a splendid one to beholdSmokin Gator is a splendid one to beholdSmokin Gator is a splendid one to beholdSmokin Gator is a splendid one to beholdSmokin Gator is a splendid one to beholdSmokin Gator is a splendid one to behold

I don't have a lot to add other than this... I don't have a Costco around here, but my brother shops there a lot. I mostly shop at Sam's for meat. My brother says Costco only has brisket flats and boneless pork butts. That would put them on the "don't shoplist" for me!!! YMMV.
Old 04-22-2011, 07:17 PM   #30
forgop
Not a puffer

First Name: Duane
Trading: (40)
Partagas Army (Served With Honor)
forgop is a jewel in the roughforgop is a jewel in the roughforgop is a jewel in the roughforgop is a jewel in the rough

I went in and browsed a bit today as I didn't have a lot of time. Seemed to have a lot more options, but not so sure things I'd buy that Sams doesn't currently carry.

Poor comparison, but just for the pork products I was shopping, this was the comparison:

Costco Sams
Pork shoulder $1.99 $1.88
Spare ribs $2.29 $1.99
Baby Backs $3.29 $3.47

Probably packed in the exact same location.
forgop is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-22-2011, 07:18 PM   #31
forgop
Not a puffer

First Name: Duane
Trading: (40)
Partagas Army (Served With Honor)
forgop is a jewel in the roughforgop is a jewel in the roughforgop is a jewel in the roughforgop is a jewel in the rough

Quote:
Originally Posted by Smokin Gator View Post
I don't have a lot to add other than this... I don't have a Costco around here, but my brother shops there a lot. I mostly shop at Sam's for meat. My brother says Costco only has brisket flats and boneless pork butts. That would put them on the "don't shoplist" for me!!! YMMV.
Just saw a couple of flat briskets and the butts seemed to be bone-in. Looked like exact same packer Sam's Club uses.
forgop is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-22-2011, 07:25 PM   #32
Smokin Gator
Just plain insane!

Trading: (106)
Partagas
Smokin Gator is a splendid one to beholdSmokin Gator is a splendid one to beholdSmokin Gator is a splendid one to beholdSmokin Gator is a splendid one to beholdSmokin Gator is a splendid one to beholdSmokin Gator is a splendid one to beholdSmokin Gator is a splendid one to beholdSmokin Gator is a splendid one to behold

Quote:
Originally Posted by forgop View Post
Just saw a couple of flat briskets and the butts seemed to be bone-in. Looked like exact same packer Sam's Club uses.
Certainly could be... like I said... I really don't know... I was just going off what my brother said.

I wish we had one around here so I could compare
Old 04-22-2011, 07:58 PM   #33
MiamiE
I'm nuts for the place

First Name: Erick
Trading: (38)
RA
MiamiE will become famous soon enoughMiamiE will become famous soon enough

My BJ's membership is up and I'm considering Costco now!
MiamiE is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-22-2011, 08:54 PM   #34
backwoods357
Adjusting to the Life

First Name: Jorgen
Trading: (14)
backwoods357 will become famous soon enough

Costco every time. Simply the best quality and service.
backwoods357 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-24-2011, 12:53 AM   #35
Montano
Bourbon IS a food group

First Name: Nick
Trading: (33)
Cohiba Navy (Served With Honor)
Montano is a jewel in the roughMontano is a jewel in the roughMontano is a jewel in the roughMontano is a jewel in the rough

Costco pwns Sams.
Old 04-24-2011, 03:37 PM   #36
SvilleKid
Yes I am a Pirate

Trading: (52)
SvilleKid has disabled reputation

The nearest Costco's for me is just too far away to make it price competitive. However, I let my Sam's card go this past winter for several reasons:

First: I have had awful warranty problems with Sam's on tires (Goodyear), plus the last tires they changed out (with me paying 75% on tires less than 25% worn), they used standard lug nuts on my Nissan Pathfinder (on 3 of 6 lugs on one front tire), ruining the lugs, and costing me 4 hours in time repairing the damage because I did not find the problem until months later when I was doing a brake inspection, prior to giving the SUV to our daughter. Sam's would not claim responsibility, but they were the last one to handle the tires/rims!).

Second, I found that many of the food items were more expensive on a can by can, or lb by lb basis than I could get at Walmart!!! WTF??? No use paying Sam's a fee every year, driving 20 miles one way, when there is a Walmart 1 mile away that is cheaper on most of the items I purchase. Electronics were almost always cheaper at Best Buys or Staples, with about the same driving distance, and a better support staff at either over Sam's.

Finally; about the only advantage I was finding at Sam's was bulk quantities. Once I found that cans of tomato sauce, or bags of rice, or boxes of sodas or so-on were cheaper on a individual basis at the local stores, I lost all reason for buying in bulk.

We had membership in Costco for several years, but seldom went because it was too far away. However, I will say that I saw a much better selection of middle to upper end products at the Costcos that we did visit from time to time (over at least half a dozen cities) as compared to Sam's.
Old 04-24-2011, 05:14 PM   #37
Sauer Grapes
Snatchin' yo people up

Trading: (44)
Cohiba
Sauer Grapes has disabled reputation

Quote:
Originally Posted by SvilleKid View Post
snipped.
To second one of his points, we hit up Sams yesterday, bought a 155 oz. thing of cascade, went to walmart later that day and saw it was more than $1 cheaper for the exact same thing. Wasn't worth the trouble to buy at walmart and return to Sams, but it's pretty annoying to pay for the privilege to pay more.
Sauer Grapes is offline   Reply With Quote