Cigar Asylum Cigar Forum  

Go Back   Cigar Asylum Cigar Forum > Non Cigar Specialty Forums > Misc > General Discussion

Old 07-15-2009, 02:59 PM   #21
marge796
It Just Doesn’t Matter!!!

First Name: Chris
Trading: (28)
Cuaba Navy (Served With Honor)
marge796 will become famous soon enough
Default Re: Craigslist SCAM! Nothing new...just a heads'

Thanks for the heads up.

Chris.....
Old 07-15-2009, 05:26 PM   #22
Cigary

The wife and I have used Craigslist before and understand what we were in for. Tons of replies from deadbeat scam artists who kept up with their ruse. We had one girl from New Mexico send a cashiers check to us,,,but we gave her the address of the Chief of Police in our city with his real name. These people are always using "agents" and stories about their sick family members to try and get you to trust them,,,,as if they are really human beings who care,,,please! I had one person who used AOL as their address and I caught them on AIM and started talking to them as to why they are scamming people,,,they were very truthful and told me the reason they do this is because they hate Americans and they were doing this from another country. They kept saying that they are a very organized group of people who's sole purpose is to scam Americans out of their money,,,nothing more and nothing less.
Old 07-15-2009, 05:27 PM   #23
Prospector
I'm nuts for the place

First Name: Mike
Trading: (11)
Prospector will become famous soon enough

Out of curiosity, why do they always insist you remove your ad right away? I haven't quite figured that part out.

Thx,
Prospector is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-15-2009, 05:49 PM   #24
Cigary

Quote:
Originally Posted by Prospector View Post
Out of curiosity, why do they always insist you remove your ad right away? I haven't quite figured that part out.

Thx,
They do that because they keep a file on all of the "scams they are running" and don't want to send duplicate responses to their targets,,,,they know it looks shady when they are trying to scam you and it appears as if they forget that they have been talking with you and send you another email like it was the first time they responded back to you.
Old 07-15-2009, 08:23 PM   #25
Prospector
I'm nuts for the place

First Name: Mike
Trading: (11)
Prospector will become famous soon enough

Quote:
Originally Posted by Cigary View Post
They do that because they keep a file on all of the "scams they are running" and don't want to send duplicate responses to their targets,,,,they know it looks shady when they are trying to scam you and it appears as if they forget that they have been talking with you and send you another email like it was the first time they responded back to you.
Thanks for the explanation. I knew there had to be a logical reason but I just couldn't figure it out. It makes sense now.
Prospector is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-15-2009, 08:28 PM   #26
ucla695
Neither here, nor there

Trading: (5)
Montecristo
ucla695 has disabled reputation

Wow, thanks for the heads up guys. I hope you're able to sell everything David.
ucla695 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-16-2009, 11:15 AM   #27
mrreindeer

Quote:
Originally Posted by SmokinDuck View Post
That is a good one.

I lived in Iowa for a few years, it did feel like I was in a different country.
How you doin' in ND?

Quote:
We had one girl from New Mexico send a cashiers check to us,,,but we gave her the address of the Chief of Police in our city with his real name.......
Awesome.

Quote:
I had one person who used AOL as their address and I caught them on AIM and started talking to them as to why they are scamming people,,,they were very truthful and told me the reason they do this is because they hate Americans and they were doing this from another country. They kept saying that they are a very organized group of people who's sole purpose is to scam Americans out of their money,,,nothing more and nothing less.
Wow...how terribly sad.

Quote:
Ah! I didn't think of that either! Although it's obvious the same guy is emailing me about every item I've posted and often confuses the 'item' for a cabinet even though it's clearly a BIG-A$$ mirror so it's obvious the guys are carpet-bombing with abandon. It's a shock they even care if you take it down or not.
Old 07-17-2009, 07:24 AM   #28
mrreindeer

OOH! Way to start a Friday morning! Fresh meat.

Quote:
Originally Posted by mekamron@yahoo.com
Hello, I am Kamron Williams and I'm into buying and selling.I reside in the Dover the
capital city of Delaware I have a store in Wilmington so i check through Craiglist to shop
online and get my store loaded with goods. I will like to know if the goods is still available? and the condition of the goods presently?. Also,i want you to understand that i will be making the payment to you via check as you know that I'm not too close, to pay you cash, and i am having problem with my paaaaypal account.....the check will be post to to you as soon as we reach an agreement.
If you agree with this then all you have to do for me now is to send me your Full name as it would appear on the check, Your home address where the check can be delivered, please no post office Address,Postal code and Home phone and mobile number so i can post you the check. After you pick up the money I will send my shipper to come over to pick it up from your place.Thanks and God bless you.Kamron
Old 07-17-2009, 10:26 AM   #29
Cigary

Yeah, it's like playing with yourself after awhile. I just completely stopped communicating with these idiots when I see stuff. They could really care less what you think of them,,,,they are a very organized and relentless lot of parasites whose sole purpose is to seperate you from your money. You can tell a lot from how they write their emails to you as to whether this is a scam or not and it's a "boiler room" set up they have. These idiots hardly deviate from their scam in how they write their letters and they always use the same type of banter,,,,they are from the Midwest,,,they have sick relatives,,,they always have a shipper or agent that is going to set up the payments,,,yadda yadda.

I even told one scammer ( after they sent the check to me ) that I was not going to send the money to them until I met with them personally and I also told them that the check they sent to me was cashed at one of those places that charge 10% to cash checks like they sent. ( They sent a check for $2000 to cover the cost of the item plus they overpaid $1500 so they could get the money back from me,,,supposedly because I'm an idiot and wouldn't think twice bout sending them $1,000 back while keeping the extra $500 for my trouble ,,,,yeah right) When they found out I cashed their fake check ( which I really didn't,,,just said it so it would piss em off ) they were all over me like a white on rice to send them their share of the money. I kept answering that I just couldn't send that kind of money thru the mail so if they wanted it they would have to send their agent to meet me on a certain day at a certain place and I'd give em the money. They never answered me back about it,,shucks,,,otherwise I'd have involved the police in a sting operation.
Old 07-17-2009, 11:16 AM   #30
DPD6030
Shepard of the sheeple

First Name: Andrew
Trading: (151)
Partagas
DPD6030 has much to be proud ofDPD6030 has much to be proud ofDPD6030 has much to be proud ofDPD6030 has much to be proud ofDPD6030 has much to be proud ofDPD6030 has much to be proud ofDPD6030 has much to be proud ofDPD6030 has much to be proud ofDPD6030 has much to be proud of

Great thread. I tried selling some items on the craig only to have people contact me and tell me that they are going to pay 50-100 extra for "my troubles" I emailed back and told them that I am the po-po and I have all their information and I am reporting them. Never heard a peep again.
DPD6030 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-03-2009, 10:20 AM   #31
mrreindeer

More fun with craigslist scammers!!!

This guy wrote me today:

Quote:
Originally Posted by james.colbert201@gmail.com
Hello,
How are you doing?kindly let me know if the posted item is still available for sale.Thanks
To which I responded:

Quote:
Hello,
How are you doing?Kindly let me know if you are interested in the posted item.Thanks.
And he responded:

Quote:
Originally Posted by james.colbert201@gmail.com
Hello,
Thanks for getting back to my mail,i would be buying and love to come down for a look but i'm not idle at the moment,because i'm indulging in my office assignment,but am satisfy with the description and the condition you gave on the website.i would like to make an outright purchase immediately.i will be glad if you can withdraw the advert placement from the website and will like you to know that i will be sending the payment for the item with a certified bank check or cashier's check in (US dollars) for the reason that i'm busy to come for the item and i will like you to please bear with me.And as for the pick up of the item i will know how to handle that with my mover.As soon as you cash the payment in check,the mover will come for the pick up,all you need to do is mail me and give me the description to your place to make it easier for the mover to come and do the pick up.I do not want you to look for another buyer and i will be greteful if you withdraw the advert from the website, and i don't mind giving you extra $50 for withdrawing the advert from the web.In order for you to know that I'm really serious in purchasing your item.I will send you the payment as soon as you give me the info to write the check. i would need your name and address to post the payment and i'll appreciate if you include your 1...Your name 2...Your postal address 3...your zip code 4...mobile phone number Home or work address thanks and i'll be expecting your reply.
Regards
And I responded:

Quote:
Hello,
Thanks for getting back to my mail,I would be selling and love to have you come down for a look but I'm not idle at the moment,because I'm indulding in my orifice assigment also,but am satisfy with the description of transaction you give in email.i would like you to make an outright purchase immediately.i will be glad if i will withdraw the advert placement from the website and will like you to know that i will be receiving the payment for the item with like goods, weapons, drugs, human slaves (not monkey again), dog for eating or cash (in Swiss Francs only) for the reason that i'm busy to have you come for the item and i will like you to please bear with me also.And as for the pick up of the item i will know how to handle that with your mover.As soon as you send canned goods, weapons, drugs, vagine, human slaves (not monkey again), dog for eat or cash (in Swiss Francs),the mover will come for the pick up,all you need to do is mail me and give me the description to your place also to make it easier for the mover to come and do the drop off.I do not want you to look for another seller and i will be greteful if you do this quickly, and i don't mind giving you extra $100 off price for giving me the information today.In order for you to know that I'm really serious in selling my item.I will receive the payment and/or goods as soon as you give me the info to finish the transaction. I would need your name and address to receive the payment and i'll appreciate if you include your 1...Your name 2...Your postal address 3...your zip code 4...mobile phone number Home or work address thanks and i'll be expecting your reply.
Regards
Jim would love to hear from you guys....
Old 08-03-2009, 11:01 AM   #32
mrreindeer

Here's another one.......this from janemorgan04@gmail.com surprisingly at the very same time as when James Colbert's came through:

Quote:
Still available?
the setup to get my email address

And I replied:
Quote:
Yes.
here you go, here is my email address, come & get me

And Jane replied:

Quote:
OK.Let me have your full name and address to issue a check today.Get back soon.Have a good day.

Jane
and so the scam is set!

And I replied in very very large font:

Quote:
Hi Jane-thank you very much for you purchase of my items and getting back to my mailing. In order for me selling item, I would love to have you come down for a look but currently I in Africa on type of safari where I hunt criminal much in same way of shoot dog here in States. There is much fraud rampant and we must eliminate by violent death in hoping of world peace. I am satisfy with you offer to pay 400 in Swiss Franc only, depositing in my Offshore account. I have problem that I do not have account number. You must go to Grand Cayman and present cash in person to man named Raul. You will notice Raul when you go there. He is not missed by anyone. Please don’t worry; Raul is mostly kind and shouldnot hurt you when you get there. Raul is my shipping agent and he will hold you for 12 days in Grand Cayman in utmost luxury but with bathroom in next town over. I am sorry but we in construction and no running water since 1994, actually 1993. You i'm sure is seen pictures of sea in Grand Cayman. It beautiful and you will not mind insects and rodent issue, sometime very hungry dog too. It very important you go there immediately because many people in wanting for these 2 framed pictures of flowers; they are mostly nice in your home probably dark room because of blood stain on corner of one. If you go Grand Cayman today, I will give you THIRD picture for FREE, this of monkey writing poem while riding rabbit & also knitting monkey mask – IT IS FUNNYAND YOU WILL ENJOY! Once you go Grand Cayman and Raul, if you nice, Raul will introduce you to younger brother. He is 8 year old and has large peni$ you will ENJOY! If you do not want to meet younger brother of Raul, it is okay. Raul also has sister if you are lessbians. It is okay, my niece is lessbians. So we have agreement, I will removing advert placement from the craiglists and will like you to know that I will be having you moving agent in control of shipper but you must remain Grand Cayman island until November 12 and you please bear with me. If you is unable to stay, I cannot give you THIRD picture for FREE. In order for you to know that I’m really serious in selling these items, I will be giving you extra FOURTH picture of Raul brother’s peni$. I will need your information to include your 1...Your name 2...Your postal address 3...your zip code 4...mobile phone number Home or work address thanks and i'll be expecting your reply and telling Raul you will be there today.
Regards
Old 08-03-2009, 11:09 AM   #33
mrreindeer

oh, and i should mention that jane too would love to hear from you guys
Old 08-03-2009, 11:12 AM   #34
adampc22

what the hell dude i was going to give u that $20 why wont u give me all your details and i am nice i like to stick cryons on my ears thay get stuck sometimes tho
Old 08-03-2009, 11:29 AM   #35
mrreindeer

Quote:
Originally Posted by adampc22 View Post
what the hell dude i was going to give u that $20 why wont u give me all your details and i am nice i like to stick cryons on my ears thay get stuck sometimes tho
OMG..... dude, you didn't go see Raul...

love the cryons....

I forgot to mention that Jane's email I typed in 72 font size.
Old 08-03-2009, 12:10 PM   #36
BillyCigars

[Reply to Jane]

ROFLOL!!

Funniest thing I've seen in awhile - thanks for the laughs!
Old 08-03-2009, 12:21 PM   #37
mrreindeer

thanks Bill!
Old 08-03-2009, 01:48 PM   #38
rizzle
Order Restored

Trading: (23)
Bolivar
rizzle is a jewel in the roughrizzle is a jewel in the roughrizzle is a jewel in the roughrizzle is a jewel in the rough

You're having way too much fun David.
rizzle is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-03-2009, 04:04 PM   #39
lightning9191
I think I'm normal...

First Name: Kevin
Trading: (8)
lightning9191 has disabled reputation

Quote:
Originally Posted by rizzle View Post
That is exactly what I was thinking!
Old 08-04-2009, 06:54 AM   #40
mrreindeer

Quote:
Originally Posted by rizzle View Post
I know....and no emails this morning to play with, damn it!