Cigar Asylum Cigar Forum  

Go Back   Cigar Asylum Cigar Forum > Non Cigar Specialty Forums > Coffee & Tea Forum > Coffee Discussion

Old 02-21-2009, 02:37 PM   #1
MrsPartridge
Just in from the Storm

Trading: (0)
MrsPartridge is on a distinguished road
Default Mokapot for 4?

If I get a Moka for 4 could I use it for just one or two cups or should I try and find a smaller one?

Normally I just need one or two cups of joe.
MrsPartridge is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-21-2009, 02:42 PM   #2
md4958
Captain Cannoli

First Name: Moe
Trading: (62)
HUpmann
md4958 has disabled reputation
Default Re: Mokapot for 4?

if you have a four, you can only make four cups with it, or your coffee will not come out right. If you dont want to buy a smaller pot, just throw out the coffee you dont drink

"One fart can foul the air for everyone" - Esteemed philosopher
"If avoiding the nasty $hit is being a snob, them I am guilty as charged."- Same esteemed philosopher.
md4958 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-21-2009, 03:14 PM   #3
DMK
S.O.B.

First Name: Darryl
Trading: (86)
Partagas
DMK is just really niceDMK is just really niceDMK is just really niceDMK is just really nice

Quote:
Originally Posted by md4958 View Post
if you have a four, you can only make four cups with it, or your coffee will not come out right. If you dont want to buy a smaller pot, just throw out the coffee you dont drink
Or... freeze the left over coffee in an ice cube tray, then keep in a ziplock bag for cooking and baking flavour....
My wifey is doing this all the time for coffee flavour in cookies, squares etc.
Old 02-21-2009, 04:24 PM   #4
germantown rob
Still not Adjusted

First Name: Rob
Trading: (1)
Partagas
germantown rob is on a distinguished road

Quote:
Originally Posted by MrsPartridge View Post
If I get a Moka for 4 could I use it for just one or two cups or should I try and find a smaller one?

Normally I just need one or two cups of joe.
I use a 6 cupper and a 4 cupper, the six cup makes about 6 oz of Joe which is my 1 cup of coffee and I use the 4 cup for an afternoon shot. I suggest getting a 4 or 6 cup and a 10 cup for when company is over. Stainless Steel are not practical to do back to back pots since they retain heat so it is tricky to clean out the old where an aluminum pot does a better job at making crema and cools completely under some cold water and can be cleaned and reused immediately with no burnt hands.
germantown rob is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-22-2009, 12:38 PM   #5
mosesbotbol
That's a Corgi

First Name: Moses
Trading: (6)
Punch
mosesbotbol is a jewel in the roughmosesbotbol is a jewel in the roughmosesbotbol is a jewel in the rough

I have largest one available, I assume it's a 6 or 8 cup? It's uses a lot of ground coffee. If any mokapot is not filled up correct, you'll end up with something other than stovetop espresso. Whether you like it or not only you will know. I don't think the outcome is necessarily bad out of a half filled mokapot, but at that point, the French Press is a better choice.
Old 02-22-2009, 04:57 PM   #6
MrsPartridge
Just in from the Storm

Trading: (0)
MrsPartridge is on a distinguished road

We have a smooth ceran stove so I've been warned not to use the moka pot on it. I used to put it on the edge of the burner so that the handle wouldn't get hot but if that leaves most of the burner uncovered that can damage the burner. So now I might have to get an electric moka pot. It's too bad because that's more counter space taken up.
MrsPartridge is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-22-2009, 06:17 PM   #7
mosesbotbol
That's a Corgi

First Name: Moses
Trading: (6)
Punch
mosesbotbol is a jewel in the roughmosesbotbol is a jewel in the roughmosesbotbol is a jewel in the rough

Quote:
We have a smooth ceran stove so I've been warned not to use the moka pot on it.
Pot holders to pour it. Would not worry about it.
Old 02-23-2009, 08:13 AM   #8
germantown rob
Still not Adjusted

Partagas

Quote:
We have a smooth ceran stove so I've been warned not to use the moka pot on it. I used to put it on the edge of the burner so that the handle wouldn't get hot but if that leaves most of the burner uncovered that can damage the burner. So now I might have to get an electric moka pot. It's too bad because that's more counter space taken up.
If you use a cast iron skillet or any flat bottom low side pan to cover the whole burner than place the moka pot so the handle hangs out the side, it will take longer but won't hurt your burners.
Old 02-23-2009, 08:25 AM   #9
germantown rob
Still not Adjusted

Partagas

One more thing, I have never used an electric moka pot and I am sure they work fine but I have been using a stove top for 20 years and well other than the gasket they last forever or at least a very long time.

I am looking at the bialetti site,
Bialetti Shop
the electric look interesting with a small hot plate, I wonder if it is the same pot that could also be used on a stove?
Old 02-23-2009, 10:05 AM   #10
Mister Moo
I barely grok the obvious

First Name: Dan
Trading: (3)
HUpmann Army (Served With Honor)
Mister Moo is a jewel in the roughMister Moo is a jewel in the roughMister Moo is a jewel in the roughMister Moo is a jewel in the rough

Quote:
Originally Posted by germantown rob View Post
Bialetti Shop
the electric look interesting with a small hot plate, I wonder if it is the same pot that could also be used on a stove?
I had an electric - really cute - a Bertone Design Velox. It was for sure $25 worth of fun (used, ebay) but not a great brewer. It was OK. I have the same vibe about other electrics - they're OK but tend to get too hot.

But hey! If Bialetti can't get it right (for $99) by 2009, who can? Neat little hotplate if you can put any mokapot on it. Can't tell if it has one of those prods up its' little six-cup butt or not. I am thinking it must be prodded. If so, too bad it only comes in 6-cupper.

Old 02-23-2009, 01:01 PM   #11
germantown rob
Still not Adjusted

Partagas

Quote:
Originally Posted by Mister Moo View Post
I had an electric - really cute - a Bertone Design Velox. It was for sure $25 worth of fun (used, ebay) but not a great brewer. It was OK. I have the same vibe about other electrics - they're OK but tend to get too hot.

But hey! If Bialetti can't get it right (for $99) by 2009, who can? Neat little hotplate if you can put any mokapot on it. Can't tell if it has one of those prods up its' little six-cup butt or not. I am thinking it must be prodded. If so, too bad it only comes in 6-cupper.

I just reread the description..."mobile power base"...I think the heating element is in the bottom of the moka pot, to bad.