Cigar Asylum Cigar Forum  

Go Back   Cigar Asylum Cigar Forum > Non Cigar Specialty Forums > Good Eats

Old 04-10-2011, 11:52 AM   #1821
forgop
Not a puffer

First Name: Duane
Trading: (40)
Partagas Army (Served With Honor)
forgop is a jewel in the roughforgop is a jewel in the roughforgop is a jewel in the roughforgop is a jewel in the rough
Default Re: What's in your smoker?

On the Virtual Weber site, I had some posting about my first pork butt and dealing with temps/tenderness. The conclusion I came to was when cooking with something bone-in like a pork butt, you perform the "bone wiggle" maneuver of sorts. Thus if the bone doesn't feel like it's just gonna slide out from the meat literally falling off the bone, keep on cooking. It seems as long as you keep cooking it slow enough, to hell with what a thermometer says as you just go by the feel of it.
forgop is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-10-2011, 12:13 PM   #1822
T.G
Grrrrrr

First Name: The Other Adam
Trading: (37)
Navy (Served With Honor)
T.G has disabled reputation

Quote:
Originally Posted by forgop View Post
On the Virtual Weber site, I had some posting about my first pork butt and dealing with temps/tenderness. The conclusion I came to was when cooking with something bone-in like a pork butt, you perform the "bone wiggle" maneuver of sorts. Thus if the bone doesn't feel like it's just gonna slide out from the meat literally falling off the bone, keep on cooking. It seems as long as you keep cooking it slow enough, to hell with what a thermometer says as you just go by the feel of it.
Kinna-sorta, this is why I asked you about 10 posts ago how it felt when you jabbed it with a fork and twisted, and what Jake was explaining about the connective tissues breaking down.

You have to hit certain internal temps for the connective tissues to break down and hold there before they will melt. Meat can be made to fall apart and have bone wiggle at a lower temp before all of the connective tissues have melted and it's final texture will reflect this.
T.G is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-10-2011, 01:00 PM   #1823
replicant_argent
Gravy Boat Winnah.

First Name: Pete
Location: my attorney has advised against giving this information to insane people
Trading: (22)
LGC
replicant_argent is a name known to allreplicant_argent is a name known to allreplicant_argent is a name known to allreplicant_argent is a name known to allreplicant_argent is a name known to allreplicant_argent is a name known to all

so... My bacon is evidently "too smoky" for my wife. Looks like the next smoke session of bacon will use mesquite, apple, pear or plum and I will try to achieve a lighter smoke flavor for her.
Old 04-10-2011, 01:10 PM   #1824
T.G
Grrrrrr

Navy (Served With Honor)

Quote:
Originally Posted by replicant_argent View Post
so... My bacon is evidently "too smoky" for my wife. Looks like the next smoke session of bacon will use mesquite, apple, pear or plum and I will try to achieve a lighter smoke flavor for her.
Pete, IMO, mesquite can be almost as strong as hickory and plum can be pretty potent. I'd go with apple, pear or alder if you want to keep things mild, or cut your smoke time down (or both).
Old 04-10-2011, 02:59 PM   #1825
wayner123
Country Gentleman

Trading: (159)
Trinidad
wayner123 has disabled reputation

Quote:
I have posted this before, but I have had butts which were done perfectly and the bone was solid in the meat still. You really NEED to get a reliable thermometer. I have been wrong just going by the temp before, but it's rare. Also, you might not have been going at 220F. Those pics you posted look like the bark was a bit dried out which results mostly from a higher temp (since you stated you only let them smoke for ~8 hours).
Old 04-10-2011, 03:00 PM   #1826
wayner123
Country Gentleman

Trinidad

Quote:
Originally Posted by T.G View Post

Foil is kind of a controversial subject, but if you foil a butt toward the end of the cook (around 170F internal) and let it cook that way until it hits about 200F internal, then rest it, it'll practically fall apart on it's own because of the braising.
What is controversial about foiling??
Old 04-10-2011, 03:19 PM   #1827
T.G
Grrrrrr

Navy (Served With Honor)

Quote:
Originally Posted by wayner123 View Post
What is controversial about foiling??
Different schools of thought on BBQing. One camp, often describing themselves as more traditional, tends to express feelings that the braising effect caused by the last few hours of cooking in foil results in an undesirable, over softened texture, some go as far as to call it cheating. Others will argue that the softer, moister texture of the more separated meat is more desirable and with the foil, the breakdown of the connective tissues happens much faster (which it does).

I've seen people debate the topic for pages and pages over days. Right up there with fat cap up or fat cap down and cello on or cello off.
Old 04-10-2011, 03:24 PM   #1828
replicant_argent
Gravy Boat Winnah.

First Name: Pete
Location: my attorney has advised against giving this information to insane people
Trading: (22)
LGC
replicant_argent is a name known to allreplicant_argent is a name known to allreplicant_argent is a name known to allreplicant_argent is a name known to allreplicant_argent is a name known to allreplicant_argent is a name known to all

Quote:
Originally Posted by T.G View Post
Pete, IMO, mesquite can be almost as strong as hickory and plum can be pretty potent. I'd go with apple, pear or alder if you want to keep things mild, or cut your smoke time down (or both).
Thanks for the advice. It is easier to learn from listening than learning via dollars and meat "wasted."
Old 04-10-2011, 03:26 PM   #1829
forgop
Not a puffer

forgop is a jewel in the roughforgop is a jewel in the roughforgop is a jewel in the roughforgop is a jewel in the rough

Quote:
I have posted this before, but I have had butts which were done perfectly and the bone was solid in the meat still. You really NEED to get a reliable thermometer. I have been wrong just going by the temp before, but it's rare. Also, you might not have been going at 220F. Those pics you posted look like the bark was a bit dried out which results mostly from a higher temp (since you stated you only let them smoke for ~8 hours).

I will get a thermometer for sure, but I think the idea is that you have to rely more on how it seems to want to pull apart more so than the temp itself.

I didn't find the bark to be dry at all. It held around 225 for the first few hours and maybe for a stretch over the last 2 hours, was probably closer to 250 because I failed to see that the water was nearly gone, explaining why I didn't get the temp to come down after almost closing the vents completely.
Old 04-11-2011, 07:21 AM   #1830
wayner123
Country Gentleman

Trinidad

Quote:
I will get a thermometer for sure, but I think the idea is that you have to rely more on how it seems to want to pull apart more so than the temp itself.

I didn't find the bark to be dry at all. It held around 225 for the first few hours and maybe for a stretch over the last 2 hours, was probably closer to 250 because I failed to see that the water was nearly gone, explaining why I didn't get the temp to come down after almost closing the vents completely.
Then it's just the pictures then. What kind of rub did you use?

I can see your point on the texture of the meat. However, the old adage goes "if you're looking, it ain't cooking". By having a good thermometer, you don't have to start feeling texture until the internal temp is at least 190. Before that, you would be going by time, which can bite you.
Old 04-12-2011, 05:45 PM   #1831
GolfNut
Back in the woodshop!

First Name: Forrest
Trading: (38)
Partagas
GolfNut has a spectacular aura aboutGolfNut has a spectacular aura aboutGolfNut has a spectacular aura about

Doing some spare ribs tonight. These are not my usual 6 hr ribs, but more of a "I'm hungry and ribs would be good" kind of quickie!

Have them over some Cherry smoke with one of my rubs on them. About an hour from now I'll be in Pork Rib heaven with some corn on the cob and a nice cold Heavy Horse Scotch Ale from Big Sky Brewery!
Old 04-12-2011, 06:16 PM   #1832
LooseCard
not wrapped too tight....

First Name: Dan
Trading: (3)
RyJ
LooseCard will become famous soon enough

Looking like a good start there, Forrest!
Old 04-12-2011, 06:23 PM   #1833
GolfNut
Back in the woodshop!

First Name: Forrest
Trading: (38)
Partagas
GolfNut has a spectacular aura aboutGolfNut has a spectacular aura aboutGolfNut has a spectacular aura about

Quote:
Originally Posted by LooseCard View Post
Looking like a good start there, Forrest!
I'm so friggin hungry right now. I keep hittin the sauce....BBQ sauce that is.
Old 04-12-2011, 07:34 PM   #1834
forgop
Not a puffer

Quote:
Then it's just the pictures then. What kind of rub did you use?

I can see your point on the texture of the meat. However, the old adage goes "if you're looking, it ain't cooking". By having a good thermometer, you don't have to start feeling texture until the internal temp is at least 190. Before that, you would be going by time, which can bite you.
The outside was dark, but it was soft and moist to the touch. I really didn't do much of a rub and my wife did it actually. I think it was just a relatively light coating of season salt, garlic salt, and some pepper honestly. As I said, this was a last minute/hurry up and get it on the grill type of thing. Next time, I'll probably follow this method: http://www.virtualweberbullet.com/pork2.html
Old 04-13-2011, 07:17 AM   #1835
wayner123
Country Gentleman

Trinidad

I finally remembered to take before and after pics this time. However the after pics were after we ate, LOL.

Before (new yardbird rub, which is now my new favorite):

After:

Old 04-13-2011, 08:15 AM   #1836
Smokin Gator
Just plain insane!

Trading: (106)
Partagas
Smokin Gator is a splendid one to beholdSmokin Gator is a splendid one to beholdSmokin Gator is a splendid one to beholdSmokin Gator is a splendid one to beholdSmokin Gator is a splendid one to beholdSmokin Gator is a splendid one to beholdSmokin Gator is a splendid one to beholdSmokin Gator is a splendid one to behold

Looks killer Wayne and yep, Yardbird is the bomb. We made a bunch of money using it in comps for a while!!!
Old 04-13-2011, 08:23 AM   #1837
wayner123
Country Gentleman

Trinidad

Quote:
Originally Posted by Smokin Gator View Post
Looks killer Wayne and yep, Yardbird is the bomb. We made a bunch of money using it in comps for a while!!!
Thanks Brent. Coming from you, that is a HUGE compliment. Since around the first of the year yardbird (and all plowboy rubs) has been MSG free. I was hesitant to use it previously and I really liked the dizzie dust I had been using. But this yardbird made it taste just right. Also it seemed to make a better bark.
Old 04-13-2011, 08:39 AM   #1838
nofeardiver
Feeling at Home

Trading: (4)
nofeardiver will become famous soon enough

I just did my first brisket, it turned out ok, needed to foil a little earlier than i did, i foiled it at 183, i was working in the yard and forgot about it, then i was like crap, ran over and said 183, wanted to wrap it at 180. O well, i also maid Burnt Ends, Moo-inkBalls, Beer Brats, Baked and Sweet Potatos, and Corn on the cob, all on the smoker...

Brisket(Flat) Sliced

Burnt Ends

Moo-Oink Balls

Beer Brats
http://i1197.photobucket.com/albums/...t%20Meal/6.jpg
Corn, Baked/Sweet Potatos
nofeardiver is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-13-2011, 12:47 PM   #1839
rizzle
Order Restored

Trading: (23)
Bolivar
rizzle is a jewel in the roughrizzle is a jewel in the roughrizzle is a jewel in the roughrizzle is a jewel in the rough

Quote:
Thanks Brent. Coming from you, that is a HUGE compliment. Since around the first of the year yardbird (and all plowboy rubs) has been MSG free. I was hesitant to use it previously and I really liked the dizzie dust I had been using. But this yardbird made it taste just right. Also it seemed to make a better bark.
How about sodium content? I want a good rub with no salt, does one exist?
rizzle is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-13-2011, 12:55 PM   #1840
nofeardiver
Feeling at Home

Trading: (4)
nofeardiver will become famous soon enough

Quote:
Originally Posted by rizzle View Post
How about sodium content? I want a good rub with no salt, does one exist?
you could make your own, with less salt? i know sometimes i use Byrons, and that crap is loaded with sodium... have tried googling low sodium rub? dont know what kind of results the rub part might give you...lol

Here is from another forum i am apart of, pretty cool stuff

http://www.bbq-brethren.com/forum/sh...ad.php?t=43026
nofeardiver is offline   Reply With Quote