Cigar Asylum Cigar Forum  

Go Back   Cigar Asylum Cigar Forum > Cigar Forums > Island (The other ones) Reviews

Old 07-24-2012, 03:33 PM   #1
smitty81
Have My Own Room

Trading: (10)
smitty81 has disabled reputation
Default Cuban Castaways (smoker friendly)

So I was in my not so local walk in humidor browsing cigars and these caught my eye.

They are a blend made specifically for smoker friendly. I was pretty curious about them as they looked like decent cigars. I didn't really have much hope for them after I looked at the price tag ($2 and some odd cents)

But I thought, what the hell. What if it's a diamond in the rough?

So I bought one.

Today, I went on a very small trip so I decided it would be a good day to light it up.

Construction isn't fabulous and the burn needed to be touched up a few times. The cigar was pretty spongy and I think it had a hard time keeping an even burn because of it. The draw was obviously pretty loose as well.

Taste wise 8/10.

This cigar was a home run in the flavor department for me. You guys will think I am crazy here but I think this cigar taste a lot like the 601 blue.

Hell, for a cheap $2.00 cigar though, I will be buying more.

It had a lot of sweet cream in it and that Nicaraguan flavor I have come to love.

It packed a small punch in the Nicotine department as well.

Guys, if you haven't tried these, try just one. Besides the poor construction, it's far from a dog rocket.

smitty81 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-24-2012, 03:44 PM   #2
MrWolf55
Still Watching My Back

First Name: Mike
Trading: (3)
RyJ
MrWolf55 is on a distinguished road
Default Re: Cuban Castaways (smoker friendly)

I've always found Smoker Friendly's house smokes pretty decent values believe it or not. Their Dominican Gold line with the cameroon wrapper is a fantastic smoke for the price (3 for $10). Thanks for the heads up; I'll look for this one if I ever find myself in a SF again
MrWolf55 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-24-2012, 03:51 PM   #3
smitty81
Have My Own Room

Quote:
Originally Posted by MrWolf55 View Post
I've always found Smoker Friendly's house smokes pretty decent values believe it or not. Their Dominican Gold line with the cameroon wrapper is a fantastic smoke for the price (3 for $10). Thanks for the heads up; I'll look for this one if I ever find myself in a SF again
I seen those Dominican ones as well. I bought the Nicaraguan one in the same line (white band I think)

I will have to try it here soon.
Old 07-25-2012, 07:08 AM   #4
smitty81
Have My Own Room

Here's some info I dug up on this one.

Wrapper: Ecuador Sungrown . Binder: Honduran . Filler: MIXED FILLER
Mild-Medium Bodied
Cuban Castaways are a tremendous value for the cigar smoker. Constructed with quality table
cuttings remaining from the making of some of the finest long-filler premium cigars mixed with
quality long filler in the Cuban Sandwich method, these are a great tasting, mild-medium-bodied
handmade with a sun-grown Ecuador Sumatran or a smooth tasting Maduro wrapper. You can
now smoke a genuine handmade cigar for less than many machine made cigars! Quality at a price you
can afford every day. Buy them by the handful and save a bunch. Available in all your favorite sizes.
Packaged in boxes of 50 and Bundles of 10.
Old 05-31-2014, 07:59 PM   #5
TXSmokey
huh

First Name: Richard
Trading: (1)
Montecristo
TXSmokey is on a distinguished road

I've seen these at the smoke shop, on the shelf with the quorum's and rejects, ill give one a try thanks
TXSmokey is offline   Reply With Quote