Cigar Asylum Cigar Forum  

Go Back   Cigar Asylum Cigar Forum > Non Cigar Specialty Forums > Good Eats

Old 05-03-2011, 07:13 PM   #2001
OLS
Suck It

First Name: Brad
Trading: (19)
Bolivar AirForce (Served With Honor)
OLS is a splendid one to beholdOLS is a splendid one to beholdOLS is a splendid one to beholdOLS is a splendid one to beholdOLS is a splendid one to beholdOLS is a splendid one to beholdOLS is a splendid one to behold
Default Re: What's in your smoker?

Peter, I have determined to my mind that there are three factors...high sugar content in the rub,
Long and slow cook times, and Temps over 225 degrees. But I like what MarkinCA says, Adam knows best, lol.
OLS is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-03-2011, 07:30 PM   #2002
T.G
Grrrrrr

First Name: The Other Adam
Trading: (37)
Navy (Served With Honor)
T.G has disabled reputation

Quote:
Originally Posted by pnoon View Post
So I have a question for the experienced (food) smokers here. What does it take to get that really dark crunchy bark? Is it a really thick layer of rub? Higher temps? Longer smoking? A combination of the above? Something else I'm missing?
BBQ is one of those things where everyone eventually develops their own style and technique for this and many other things since we all cook a bit differently and prefer different combinations of ingredients and methods and individual pits work and behave differently.

For me, it can be a garlic paste coating (on lamb for example), or a heavier coating of rub - the rub having some brown sugar in it and no salt, so I can get away with this. That and 230F-240F pit with some smoke and that's about it for me. I hardly ever baste or mop.

Personally, I think Brad, gator and Luke get better looking barks than I do most of the time, so take my advice for what it's worth.

Traegers burn very clean, so you might never see a super dark bark.

Another thing to keep in mind is that these photos might not be representing the color correctly. A lot of the food I take pictures of looks darker on the screen than it actually is (or at least on my monitors - which might or might not be properly calibrated).

BTW - I've had dark crunchy bark that looked great but when you bit into it, it was due to oversmoking or overtemp and was bitter and nasty, so ehhh.

Last edited by T.G; 05-03-2011 at 07:36 PM.
T.G is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-03-2011, 07:38 PM   #2003
T.G
Grrrrrr

Navy (Served With Honor)

Quote:
Originally Posted by MarkinCA View Post
Wet rub prior to closing the grill cover to kick things off. Basically, Worcestershire sauce liberally sprinkled on top, followed by a handful or two of dry rub thrown on top and rubbed in to it forms a paste. The meat is turned over and the same is applied to that side. Its rather pasty looking on both sides, but taste dam good after its cooked!

If you go to www.texasbbqrub.com , its called the 1-2-3 method and appears to work

Thanks - I've been doing something similar for some time, I just couldn't tell from the photo.
Old 05-03-2011, 07:42 PM   #2004
T.G
Grrrrrr

Navy (Served With Honor)

I don't know about best Brad, but I'd probably win the award for longest, technical and most boring answers.
Old 05-03-2011, 08:54 PM   #2005
pnoon
YNWA

First Name: Peter
Trading: (20)
RA
pnoon has disabled reputation

Quote:
Wet rub prior to closing the grill cover to kick things off. Basically, Worcestershire sauce liberally sprinkled on top, followed by a handful or two of dry rub thrown on top and rubbed in to it forms a paste. The meat is turned over and the same is applied to that side. Its rather pasty looking on both sides, but taste dam good after its cooked!

If you go to www.texasbbqrub.com , its called the 1-2-3 method and appears to work

That is the website and method I used for my first brisket. Winner!

fwiw - I didn't like the puddle when sprinkling Worcestershire so I put some in a spray bottle and it works really well.
Old 05-03-2011, 09:01 PM   #2006
pnoon
YNWA

RA

Quote:
Originally Posted by T.G View Post
BBQ is one of those things where everyone eventually develops their own style and technique for this and many other things since we all cook a bit differently and prefer different combinations of ingredients and methods and individual pits work and behave differently.

For me, it can be a garlic paste coating (on lamb for example), or a heavier coating of rub - the rub having some brown sugar in it and no salt, so I can get away with this. That and 230F-240F pit with some smoke and that's about it for me. I hardly ever baste or mop.

Personally, I think Brad, gator and Luke get better looking barks than I do most of the time, so take my advice for what it's worth.

Traegers burn very clean, so you might never see a super dark bark.

Another thing to keep in mind is that these photos might not be representing the color correctly. A lot of the food I take pictures of looks darker on the screen than it actually is (or at least on my monitors - which might or might not be properly calibrated).

BTW - I've had dark crunchy bark that looked great but when you bit into it, it was due to oversmoking or overtemp and was bitter and nasty, so ehhh.
Thanks, Adam.
That helps a lot.
Old 05-03-2011, 09:09 PM   #2007
Aero95
Adjusting to the Life

First Name: Aaron
Trading: (2)
Partagas
Aero95 will become famous soon enough

Quote:

Bingo!! Though I have always waited a half hour after putting the meat on to spray it. Always comes out with a thick dark bark. Bourbon and Applejuice is my choice of spray.
Old 05-03-2011, 10:30 PM   #2008
MarkinAZ
Formerly MarkinOR

First Name: Mark
Trading: (40)
Navy (Served With Honor)
MarkinAZ is a splendid one to beholdMarkinAZ is a splendid one to beholdMarkinAZ is a splendid one to beholdMarkinAZ is a splendid one to beholdMarkinAZ is a splendid one to beholdMarkinAZ is a splendid one to beholdMarkinAZ is a splendid one to behold

Quote:
I don't know about best Brad, but I'd probably win the award for longest, technical and most boring answers.

Quote:
Originally Posted by aero95 View Post
Bingo!! Though I have always waited a half hour after putting the meat on to spray it. Always comes out with a thick dark bark. Bourbon and Applejuice is my choice of spray.
So if I have a sprayer bottle Aaron, whats the ratio of bourbon to applejuice that you use?

Old 05-04-2011, 06:05 AM   #2009
Aero95
Adjusting to the Life

Partagas

Quote:

So if I have a sprayer bottle Aaron, whats the ratio of bourbon to applejuice that you use?

Mark 1 part Bourbon 2 parts apple juice. Though I usually just pour what I like.
Old 05-04-2011, 06:50 AM   #2010
replicant_argent
Gravy Boat Winnah.

First Name: Pete
Location: my attorney has advised against giving this information to insane people
Trading: (22)
LGC
replicant_argent is a name known to allreplicant_argent is a name known to allreplicant_argent is a name known to allreplicant_argent is a name known to allreplicant_argent is a name known to allreplicant_argent is a name known to all

Maple and brown sugar bacon to go on the smoker this morning while I work. A little alder, and maybe some apple.
I may have to take my work out to the deck a bit anyway today with the actual pseudo-spring weather. 65 degrees is very exciting for a Minnesotan in early May.
Old 05-04-2011, 08:19 AM   #2011
cricky101
Micro brew tester

First Name: Chris
Trading: (8)
RA
cricky101 will become famous soon enough

I didn't fire up the smoker, but I did make some chicken drumsticks on the Weber kettle last night. A few with Plowboy's Yardbird rub and a few with Plowboy's Jerk rub. Added a little cherry wood to the coals for some smokey flavor.

Cooked about 45 minutes indirect with the smoke and then over high heat for a few minutes to crisp up the skin.

I like cooking the drumsticks because from the time I start up the coals until it's time to eat, it's about the perfect amount of time for a cigar and a couple of beers
Old 05-04-2011, 08:28 AM   #2012
Chainsaw13
Møøse bites can be nasty

First Name: Bob
Trading: (96)
Bolivar
Chainsaw13 is a splendid one to beholdChainsaw13 is a splendid one to beholdChainsaw13 is a splendid one to beholdChainsaw13 is a splendid one to beholdChainsaw13 is a splendid one to beholdChainsaw13 is a splendid one to beholdChainsaw13 is a splendid one to behold

Quote:
Originally Posted by cricky101 View Post
I didn't fire up the smoker, but I did make some chicken drumsticks on the Weber kettle last night. A few with Plowboy's Yardbird rub and a few with Plowboy's Jerk rub. Added a little cherry wood to the coals for some smokey flavor.

Cooked about 45 minutes indirect with the smoke and then over high heat for a few minutes to crisp up the skin.

I like cooking the drumsticks because from the time I start up the coals until it's time to eat, it's about the perfect amount of time for a cigar and a couple of beers
Can't argue with this. Sounds good.
Old 05-04-2011, 08:32 AM   #2013
pnoon
YNWA

RA

Pizza on the Traeger tonight.
Posted via Mobile Device
pnoon is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-04-2011, 08:35 AM   #2014
Aero95
Adjusting to the Life

Partagas

Quote:
Posted via Mobile Device
What do you plan on using.
Old 05-04-2011, 08:37 AM   #2015
Chainsaw13
Møøse bites can be nasty

First Name: Bob
Trading: (96)
Bolivar
Chainsaw13 is a splendid one to beholdChainsaw13 is a splendid one to beholdChainsaw13 is a splendid one to beholdChainsaw13 is a splendid one to beholdChainsaw13 is a splendid one to beholdChainsaw13 is a splendid one to beholdChainsaw13 is a splendid one to behold

Quote:
Posted via Mobile Device
Too bad you live so far away...
Old 05-04-2011, 09:26 PM   #2016
pnoon
YNWA

RA

Quote:
Posted via Mobile Device
Homemade pizza dough w/tomato sauce, salami, black olive, shredded mozzarella, garlic powder, oregano, basil, red and black pepper.

before:

after:

Old 05-04-2011, 09:51 PM   #2017
Aero95
Adjusting to the Life

Partagas

Quote:
Homemade pizza dough w/tomato sauce, salami, black olive, shredded mozzarella, garlic powder, oregano, basil, red and black pepper.

before:

after:

Hope you made enough to share
Old 05-04-2011, 10:51 PM   #2018
forgop
Not a puffer

First Name: Duane
Partagas Army (Served With Honor)
forgop is a jewel in the roughforgop is a jewel in the roughforgop is a jewel in the roughforgop is a jewel in the rough

This brisket is taking forever right now.
forgop is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-05-2011, 12:28 AM   #2019
MarkinAZ
Formerly MarkinOR

First Name: Mark
Navy (Served With Honor)
MarkinAZ is a splendid one to beholdMarkinAZ is a splendid one to beholdMarkinAZ is a splendid one to beholdMarkinAZ is a splendid one to beholdMarkinAZ is a splendid one to beholdMarkinAZ is a splendid one to beholdMarkinAZ is a splendid one to behold

Quote:
Originally Posted by aero95 View Post
Mark 1 part Bourbon 2 parts apple juice. Though I usually just pour what I like.
Thank you Aaron...

Quote:

That does look simply delicious Pete Did I mention that looks delicious?

Old 05-05-2011, 07:39 AM   #2020
OLS
Suck It

First Name: Brad
Trading: (19)
Bolivar AirForce (Served With Honor)
OLS is a splendid one to beholdOLS is a splendid one to beholdOLS is a splendid one to beholdOLS is a splendid one to beholdOLS is a splendid one to beholdOLS is a splendid one to beholdOLS is a splendid one to behold

Quote:

Ahh, but that's what people are LOOKING for, they WANT to have every little detail. You combine FIRE
and expensive meat and people don't like to jump into things blind like that. They want a manual, lol.

Like Adam said, pictures are tough, they are too black, too blue, to this, too that. I need to remember,
while the food is on the grate, to shoot it, cause that's the best place for me. I get inside and there
is FOIL in the photo, and not enough light in the kitchen to balance the outside color temp. It's a
whole thing. Well dammit, I am smoking me up some meatsziz this weekend, I have worked myself up
into a lather now, lol.

And not for nuttin, I think this is the best thread in the entirety of CA.
OLS is offline   Reply With Quote